Start by marking “Gristle: from Factory Farms to Food Safety (Thinking Twice About the Meat We Eat)” as Want to Read:

GRISTLE FROM FACTORY FARMS TO FOOD SAFETY (Thinking Twice About The Meat We Eat) THINK TWICE! An information-packed, lively, and informative little guide, Gristle is for the growing number of people - from meat-eaters to vegetarians - who are thinking twice about the perils of our system of animal processing and factory farms. Multiplatinum musician Moby and leading food ...more
Paperback, First edition, 140 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by New Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gristle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gristle

Start your review of Gristle: from Factory Farms to Food Safety (Thinking Twice About the Meat We Eat)
Sharron
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of essays presented by the musician Moby. While none of this information was new to me, it still reinforces my conviction to remain Vegan. It is a good basic book for those exploring why choosing a plant based diet is not only good for animals but for the planet. I would recomment this for anyone who is exploring issues such as animal welfare, veganism for ethical and health reasons, environmentalism. Each chapter is written by different exports in these fields such as ...more
Robin Ramone
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be taught in school. Whether people want to eat meat or not, it should be our duty to not be ignorant about how it got to our plates and the real costs of this diet. We conveniently ignore the impact it is having on our heath, animals, and the environment to satisfy our taste buds. How long are we going to keep this up? Until all of our water systems are completely poisoned? Until a factory farm moves in our neighbourhood and depreciates our home values by 30-40%? Until another ...more
Dane Cobain
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gristle might be edited by Moby and Miyin Park, but the ten essays inside are written by a wide away of different people who are all at the top of their game. Sure, it occasionally gets a little dry, but thats to be expected when youre reading a non-fiction book about meat production and the problems it can cause.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with this, and my only real complaint would be the physical dimensions of the book, which forced it to use a small font that wasnt always easy to read,
ChaCha Ala Mode
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-books
I am still in the midst of reading this one. It is a collection of Essays deemed at deterring you from consuming meat and animal products. My copy is signed by both Moby and the the girl that he collaborated with. If you are a food junkie like me, none of this information is new, yet I find it refreshing that Lauren Bush, of the GW Bush twins wrote an essay for this compilation. I find it refreshing to see a conservative family spawn off an activist against many of the things they value. I ...more
Coen
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: veganism
This is the first book I read on veganism after my hiatus from being vegan. I'm back to trying to keep to the lifestyle and really helped to refresh me on why it's so important to me to be vegan. My favorite line is: "Death is unavoidable, but suffering is avoidable."
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
Why yes, I did just read a book edited by Moby. This book probably preaches to the choir on the various reasons why CAFOs are bad, but it was interesting to see who popped up in quotes and snippets.
Katie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well-researched and well-written collection of essays, but it's a hard read. The practices widely used today in animal husbandry and raising/slaughtering animals for food are terrible to think about, and it's probably only gotten worse since this book was published.
Avery
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of things people should know, and think about, but dont. ...more
Diana
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Short and easy read. This was assigned for an Intro to Ethics class and made me rethink meat and consider moving towards a plant-based diet.
Eugene Vibar
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book that started my active path toward vegetarianism. I needed something without fluff, just cold hard facts, and this book provided that in spades. It's loaded with tons of eye-opening statistics (and diagrams aplenty) and so many arguments as to why our current meat industry (and how we feed it) is bad in so many ways: for our health through ingesting pesticides and antibiotics, through tons of manure leaking into our drinking water, nitrogen-saturated water suffocating our ecosystems, ...more
Carrie
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This would be a good book for someone who hasn't been thinking about these issues already-- sort of a quick and dirty, Cliff Notes version of the problems with industrialized farming. Although none of the concepts in here were new to me, I was reminded of some information and learned some new statistics, etc. that I found interesting. The main thing I liked about this book is that it's a compact primer on all the reasons that it was so important for me to become a vegetarian and why I strive to ...more
Lauri
This book is very small and very basic. As a seasoned vegan, I can't say that I learned much that was new. However, this would be a great book to give to someone who is unaware of ethical issues and consequences of eating animals. It is nice to have a book that succinctly makes all of the arguments in one place, so that if you need to have a debate you can go to one book, flip just a few pages, and find the point you're looking for.
Arturo Rodriguez
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Somehow industrial animal agribusiness has largely managed to get away with oppressing workers, making our children unhealthy, slowly but surely destroying rural communities, contributing to global warming and global hunger, cultivating the emergence of devastating zoonotic diseases, and polluting the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the land on which we all live - all while getting subsidized by taxpayers.
Thomas
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Saw this at Dollar Tree one day, so I checked it out at the library. It basically felt like a Cliff's Notes version of material by other food authors like Michael Pollan, Eric Schlosser, Dr. Vandana Shiva, et cetera. Still, it's a really quick read with good information (albeit repetitive at times). The last essay on human hunger was particularly my favorite. Definitely worth a gander, especially if it's only a dollar.
Kay
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is good for quick information, but you can't really engross yourself in it. The choppy nature of the essays makes it a reference guide, not a spirited call-to-arms like EATING ANIMALS. I'll give them points for the cute cover, though.
Anne
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is really interesting and important, and I believe it should more well-known. It's rather horrible to read how meat industry has detrimental effect to almost everything. While reading this book I started thinking that maybe I, too, should stop eating meat altogether.
Deborah
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quit-reading
This would be a great book for readers who don't already understand the ramifications of a system that is designed to feed people's gluttony for animal flesh. I have been studying this for some time and it hurt my heart to read more, so I had to stop reading.
Frances
A small book of essays. Trains were terrible enough yesterday that I read the entire thing while on the subway to and from Queens from Brooklyn.

A good, concise summary of issues raised in many other places. Yet another nudge in the direction of veganism.
Kevin William
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Eye-opening. Everyone should read this book.
Eugene
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really an eye opening experience for me. You don't just hear from vegetarians, you here from many different types of people who know something is afoot in food production.
Victor Chininin
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A series of essays addressing different perspectives on our current food situation.
Tom
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for anyone that owns a fork.
Amy
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hard to stomach at times (no pun intended) but a very good read!
Kip
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great... Now I'm thinking about becoming a vegan... That'll suck...
Olivia
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this book - Quick read and great information!
deda mika
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
It was alright. It's good for a quick read or to introduce someone to this info.
Lise Dumont
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everyone who eats meat or meat products should read this.
Rachel
Apr 03, 2010 marked it as need-to-finish
Can't wait to read this! My copy is set to arrive next week.
Rachael
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
If you're interested in a quick introduction to some of the problems with our current system of animal food production, this slim volume contains bite-sized essays covering all the major topics.
kfarmgirlp
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great quick reference book on food origins and safety

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights
  • White Negroes: When Cornrows Were in Vogue ... and Other Thoughts on Cultural Appropriation
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method
  • We Need to Talk About Putin: Why the West gets him wrong, and how to get him right
  • Some of Us Are Very Hungry Now
  • The Trojan War Museum and Other Stories
  • Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body
  • The Rap Year Book: The Most Important Rap Song From Every Year Since 1979, Discussed, Debated, and Deconstructed
  • Passing
  • Kushner, Inc.: Greed. Ambition. Corruption. the Extraordinary Story of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump
  • The Worst Is Yet to Come: A Post-Capitalist Survival Guide
  • The Turn of the Screw
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Funny Man: Mel Brooks
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • You Have the Right to Remain Fat
Richard Melville Hall, better known by his stage name Moby, is an American DJ, singer-songwriter, and musician.

He sings and plays keyboard, guitar, bass guitar and drums. Moby became a successful artist on the ambient electronica scene, and achieved eight top 40 singles in the UK during the 1990s. In 1999 he released the album Play, a mix of melancholic chill-out, ambient music, and upbeat

News & Interviews