Start by marking “I Kissed the Baby!” as Want to Read:
I Kissed the Baby!

I Kissed the Baby!

"An animal cast so elated that they seem on the verge of jumping into readers' laps. . . . The high-contrast pictures and exclamatory text are guaranteed eye and ear magnets for the littlest ones." -- Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"I saw the baby!
Did you see the baby?"
"Yes! I saw the baby, the teeny weeny thing."

It's so exciting! News of the baby is buzzing from
Board Book, 24 pages
Published December 16th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Kissed the Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Kissed the Baby!

Start your review of I Kissed the Baby!
Ellias
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the part when Mommy says, "Yes, I kissed the baby, my own amazing baby, and I'm going to do it again." I like to run over to her and give her my face for a big kiss, then I quack, just like the duck in the book.
Jon Nakapalau
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Babies are magic! Everyone wants to be nice to them! Too bad we forget this lesson as babies grow older.
Beth
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great black and white illustrations for little ones!
Elizabeth
This really is the perfect first book for baby. The sing-song verse is simple, repetitive, and predictable, perfect for baby's growing brain. The illustrations are in high contrast black & white, with one or two (two on the very exciting pages) splashes of bright color, perfect for baby's developing sense of sight. Each two-page spread features two voices-- a very sweet book to read along with daddy or an older sibling. Actions such as tickling and kissing are emphasized by the verse, making ...more
Beyondthebookends
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This black and white board book is perfect for newborns since they can only see black and white initially. Make it interactive by following the tasks talked about in the book – tickling, hugging and kissing!

For 12 more great board books check out this post:

10TX
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new parents
This is a five star book for it's intended audience--very young little ones. This book will not entertain a 5 year old and likely not a 3 year old, but the high contrast pictures and the sing-song repetitive dialog perfectly hold a language learner's attention, and the surprise ending will put a smile on their face.

Whenever I read this book, I always give a prolonged kiss that ends in a loud smack on the page with the kissing noises. This is something that my children came to look forward to,
Natasha
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't intend to review a lot of Children's Books, but because I've read this one soooo much AND my baby LOVES it, I decided to add it.

Reading this story with enthusiasm goes a long way. Originally, I had checked this out from the library on a recommendation from Highlights magazine, but when I saw how much my son loved it, I had to buy it for him.

Like most children's books, it's super simple, but the story arc here isn't as flat as many of them and I think the repetition of question/statement
Lisa
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Both my baby and I greatly enjoy reading this together. He likes looking at the cute black and white images and seems to enjoy the repetitive nature of the story. I enjoy having an excuse to tickle, sing to, and kiss him according to what the animals are doing in the story. My favourite part of the story is when the Mom says "of course I kissed the baby, my own amazing baby!" which reflects how of course I love to kiss my own amazing little guy.
Laura Henderson
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is about a baby coming and there is a lot of commotion between the different animals. They are all so excited about the baby that they all try to see the baby, feed the baby, sing to the baby, tickle the baby and kiss the baby. I would use this book to read to the entire class, because it is very exciting. I would use this book in a thematic unit about families. I like this book because it is good for a young child to get excited about a new brother or sister on the way.
Romelle
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A concept book with big, bold text and shadow-like illustrations. The simple language is sing-songy and fun to read out loud. This is a perfect book for toddlers, especially since it is available as a board book. This could also be a great gift for a toddler expecting a sibling. It's a story about the exciting arrival of a baby and the things you can do with a baby like kiss, feed, tickle him/her.
Jill
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I admit it - I am a sucker for sweet children's books about a mother's love for her child. I am also a sucker for board books for my infant, so this was a perfect addition to our collection. The high-contrast b&w illustrations are great for small babies, and the text has a nice cadence and plenty of characters to voice, making it a great read-aloud book. The best part of this short read is that you get plant a big ol' smooch on your baby at the end...ppfffwah!
Molly
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to read to your baby. My son likes this one and we've read it ALOT. My husband and I have found that it is a great book to try out new voices, tones, and paces while reading the parts for each of the two characters and then of course we end it with a great big kiss that leaves our son giggling and wanting to start the book over.
Julie
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Animals share their excitement and love for a new duckling. This book will appeal to toddler's senses. It features bold illustrations, primarily rendered in black and white, and a catchy, sing-song text. The book's format is slightly larger than the average board book and therefore might be hard for very young children to hold on their own. A recommended purchase for a public library.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
Illustrated mostly with black-and-white pages and dash of color the text and pictures stand out. This book is designed perfectly for little eyes and ears.

Early Literacy Skills:

Vocabulary
Tanya W
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute, short, fun illustrations, shows everyone's desire to be close to and interact with the baby. I read it about four times in the last 2 days... I think it's fun because I like to use voices for the different characters in the story (without that I don't know if it would be 5 stars).

This would be great to read to a younger infant because of the large black and white pictures.
Jazmin Palma
Cute little book for little ones to read. Great black and white illustration, they really caught my daughter's attention. She likes the book a lot. It also contains good action words that toddles and preschool will enjoy learning and doing. An activity that I would do is give the children black paper and white chalk to do their own animals.
Karina
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Okay, it's possible that we like this book even more than Karina (2.5 months) does. It's easy for her to keep her attention on the black and white shapes, but really, what makes this fun are all the opportunities for us to kiss her. :) She is starting to get the giggles now when we kiss her, so I think we'll keep this one in the rotation for a while.
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends of babies and the very young
This is fun to read out loud (which is good because we read it out loud several times every day). There are lots of opportunities for silly voices, cuddles, tickles, and kisses. The black and white drawings are "good visual stimulation" for little babies (or so say the child development folk who know these things).
jacky
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
The black and white pictures in this book would be great for a young baby to look at. The question and answer format would be good for teaching about questions and answers as well as providing repeated words for new readers. Very simple plot. Several fun animals. I liked the sparse use of color.
Tessa
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Ok, I know I'm weird, but this book makes me feel like I'm being brainwashed by animals, or something; like if I read it backwards, it would say, "Paul is dead". BUT my littlest ones love it - probably because of the colors.
Trevor
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably baby Alfred's favorite book so far (nice high-contrast images and semi-predictable repetitive text).
Mary Peble
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
High contrast images are perfect for an infant's limited sight and promote brain development.
Jeb
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is V's absolute favorite book.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: New York Public Library
The high-contrast illustrations and sing-song text would make this book perfect for a very young child. As such I'd get the board book version!

I was all set to get on a high-horse about the promotion of breastfeeding in children's books with a bird and a squirrel (maybe?) both saying they fed the baby - then realised that the baby in question is a baby duck...

This would be perfect to read with your toddler and a brand new "Number 2/3/4, etc"
Tracey
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
board book (small, typical size for a board book) / picture book (26 cm)
ages 0-2

The board book edition is pretty small for sharing with my baby/toddler storytime group, but the text is very short and happy and snappy.
Jbrary likes to use this book and point out to caretakers that the bold, black/white images are easiest for babies to see (eyesight is still developing until about 6 months).
Courtney Gilmore
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, I feel that this book would be a really great bedtime read. Reading this book with enthusiasm and acting out parts of the book (like tickling and kissing) with your little one would be comforting. Great for bonding!
Little
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book that does a lot with a little. Very little dialogue, but a real story, and one that you can make different every time depending on how you do the characters. Beautiful high contrast imagery that are great for very little ones.
Margie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Various creatures express their enthusiasm about their interactions with a baby - kisses, tickles, songs, etc. Contrasting colors on pages along with simple, straightforward language will make this a favorite for young children as well as the adults reading to them.
Heidi-Marie
Simple illustrations and actions to include. I think it will work well in Baby ST.
Julia

• Gossie
  • Big Little
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Clip-Clop
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Everywhere Babies
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • The Carrot Seed
  • Pajama Time!
  • Good Night Ocean (Good Night Our World)
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Peekaboo Morning
Children's author and illustrator Mary Murphy enchants even the youngest of readers with her bold style, combining eye-catching graphics and a bouncy text that seemingly jump off the pages.

Mary Murphy has an advanced diploma in Visual Communications and has written and illustrated a number of children's books, including her lift-the-flap, pull-the-tab book about friendship, ROXIE AND BO TOGETHER.