Start by marking “Whispers” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  28,167 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
For thirty-five years, Bruno Frye has lived in the shadow of the mother who made his heart beat with constant fear. And even though she died five years ago, the whispers still haunt him in the dark…enough to make him kill—and kill again…Hilary Thomas is one of his intended victims. And she’s about to learn that even death can’t keep a bad man down…
Published June 1st 2001 by Berkley Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers

Edward Lorn
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with sexual organs.
Shelves: paperbacks
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten eleven things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Yes
2. Dog(s) - Nope
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup (Koontz's staple super-handsome, well-built egomaniacal maniac)
6. Bougainvillea plant - Nope
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Kinda (Mercury-vapor this time)
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Nope (But there was a mention of second sight)
and introduc
Janie Johnson
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge
This book started out so intense it made me wanna put it down for a breather, but also made me wanna keep reading because I could barely tear my eyes away. I love the intense adrenalin laced stories, So eh, call me a thrill seeker.

Koontz did a great job with his characters, I learned a lot about them accept for Bruno. You really don't get to know too much about him at the beginning of the story. I felt like I kinda had to throw pieces together to make it all work together. I would have liked to
May 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
There's not a lot I know about rugby, or Apartheid. I watched a Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon movie though, where Morgan Freeman is portraying Nelson Mandela, and while touring the prison where he was held captive, or while talking to Matt Damon about how important winning a sporting event is for a country's sense of validity, he mentions a poem he had memorized. A few lines of a poem, or a whole poem, I don't remember. Apparently it was profound enough and simple enough that repetition and mono ...more
Thomas Strömquist
As a horror-starved teenager I got wind of Koontz first for Phantoms and then for Strangers. Following these two (Swedish publishing order), it was this book. Not quite what I was prepared for or expecting, but a good read nonetheless. More psychological thriller than the horror I expected at the time, but some very effective chills and way before Koontz strangely enough became that truly annoying word-spewer of cliches and incredibly annoying characters.
Crystal Craig
I finished the book about a week ago, but I held back with writing my review for the simple fact of needing time to think about it. 'Whispers' was my fourth Dean Koontz novel and like the case with all them before; I finished reading and was sitting on the proverbial fence. I'm more familiar with his more recent works, 'Innocence', '77 Shadow Street'. After reading them and being left disappointed, a friend of mine - another book buddy who's a fan of Koontz suggested I try some of his earlier no ...more
Another crazy mother who mentally destroys her children, so that, in their adulthood, they're homicidal and unbalanced, yet still walking free in society like everyone else.

Hilary survives an attack by an assailant she recognizes, and finds that her plea to the police is met by doubt, as the attacker has an alibi. The second attack on Hilary becomes bloody for the attacker, and the police are finally able to verify Hilary's need to call for help.

The surprise in this story wasn't Hilary, or her s
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο γεμάτο ένταση, αγωνία, φόβο. Παρ όλο που καταλαβαίνεις σχετικά νωρίς τι γίνεται, θέλεις να συνεχίσεις την ανάγνωση. Ωραίες περιγραφές και διάλογοι. Και υπάρχουν και κάποιες στιγμές που πραγματικά θες να φας τα νύχια σου. Απο τις παλιές καλές εποχές του Κουντζ. Είναι εξαντλημένο, αλλά με λίγη τύχη μπορεί και να το πετύχεται.

Kristi Glunt
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book I was in high school. I found it to be one of the scariest books ever! I've since read it again on several different occasions, that's how good I found this book to be. Makes the hair on your neck stand on end!
Mar 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-reads
60% into this book and not worth the time. I'm so disappointed. Such a waste of my reading time.
Mike (the Paladin)
I suppose I could make a shelf called "Horror, sort of" for this but you get the idea.

I read this some time ago but had forgotten about it. The plot isn't one that's terrifically original but it's handled very well and the plot holds together in the face of evidence in the story that "kind of" misleads. It's supposed to, and it's done very well. So all in all I think this is a good book and while I can't bring myself to go above 3 stars that only means that I have trouble deciding "how good" it
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
The forces that affect our lives, the influences that mold and shape us, are often like whispers in a distant room, teasingly indistinct, apprehended only with difficulty.
-Charles Dickens

I enjoyed this one much more than I expected. I guess I put off reading it because it was an older Koontz book and one with more pages than the typical books I read of 300-400 pages. I listened to the audiobook of Whispers in 2013, while I was painting my new condo :-)

I read the book for the second time in 20
"Whispers" (1980) was the book that launched Koontz onto the bestseller lists, and it's a wonder why.

What to say about this book? Not much. Bruno Frye is stalking Hilary whatsername, a young, wealthy, beautiful and succesful (hey, it's Koontz) screenwriter. Enter a brave cop, Tony Clemenza, who's going to save our damsel from all distresses, on all three thousands pages that follow.
Whispers is way too long, way to cliched, and way to boring - the climax is something V.C. Andrews readers might em
Linda C.
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I remember being so enraged by the actions of one of the characters in this novel that I literally wanted to throw the book against the wall and start screaming at it.

Except, I knew that it would be pointless and I cared too much for the heroine of the novel to stop reading.

I don't think that I have ever had such a visceral reaction to any book. The underlying mystery of the novel is amazing. I remember finishing the book and feeling as if it had been this intricately wound and knotted yarn that
Paul Dinger
It is early Dean Koontz and you can see a lot of what he had to overcome to be the writer he is today. The prose is top heavy, he explains often when he should just describe and it stops the action. The book is heavy with explaination, his villian isn't as chilling as the deranged killer from Hideaway, the twisted doctor from False Memory, or the demented sherieff from Intensity. One misses these pillars of the community turned cold bloodied pyschos, although he is one of their brethern. The Koo ...more
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by a friend, and I'm glad. It was a fun and easy read, that kept me at the edge of my seat.

I was attracted to it because I share the same name (and some features) of the victim, Hilary Thomas. It was fun (in a weird way) to put myself in the story. I loved the twists and turns Dean took me through. I love trying to solve the crime before the authorities, with this book, I couldn't! Too many twists!

The last hundred pages, or so, was a whirlwind of intense emotions. You
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
The dialogue is horrible. The sex scenes are unreadable. Take all that away and you got a pretty creepy story. And since the last few books of Koontz that I read were lousy I was pleasantly surprised that this one kept my interest despite all it's flaws.

Oh and there's no dog in this one.
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Early Dean Koontz, I am shocked you got anywhere with a book like this. Why did I trudge along and finish it? Well, listening instead of actually being the reader helped a bit. I did want to know how it ended, and for part of the book, the ultimate mystery was a little intriguing. What was the problem? Sooo much.

The misogyny. The whole concept of a woman brutally attacked and almost raped with the cops not believing her was disgusting and uncomfortable to read. One cop outright persecutes her wh
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read
March 2018 Group Read
A nice scene is with the bartender, Otto showing all violent customers his beer glass biting stunt to keep them quiet (e.g. Bobby). Tony/Frank cannot believe it either...

Whispers a 1990 Canadian horror film created

My Sept 2015 read
An easy read with not many characters and simple plot. Hilary Thomas - L.A. movie screen writer says she was assaulted and raped by Bruno Frye, someone she knew, (Or a spirit?).
Detective Partners Lieutenant Tony Clemenza (grows attraction wit
I really liked this book. The story was suspenseful and full, the characters were engaging, and the mysteries were fun to solve. I was a little disappointed that it took Hilary and Tony so long to think that Mr. Frye might have (view spoiler). But I suppose not having them think of this sooner was a way for Koontz to ratchet up the suspense. The other thing I didn't really care for was the final encounter (view spoiler) ...more
Sep 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I disliked this book almost immediately after starting it due to it's choppy writing in the beginning and the rushed-into rape scene. It's cliched romance and an unrelatable main character (Hilary) also made this kind of a painful read. I never cared about what happened to Hilary throughout this whole book, she just seemed too much of a damsel in distress to care.

Which brings me to the annoying romance that occurs. Hilary and Tony know each other for one week - ONE WEEK!! - and they already say
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Nov 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading this, so far this book is crap. Woman gets attacked, attempted rape at her own home, shoots the guy, then lets him walk out. Then shes questioned by the cops and they blame her. The dialog is unbelievable. At one point, a cop who is interviewing her thinks to himself, I wanna bang her. Just too unbelievable.
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Been a long time but I remember this being so vivid that I could literally feel cock roaches crawling over my body as I read it. The descriptions were creepy and frightening and it was a very hard to put down book.
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in High School it's Koontz first book I read!!! Started reading Koontz after this!!! Book has a great twist, never even noticed.
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another of the Koontz books I read and re-read as a teenager, and recently picked up the audiobook version.

As to the book itself:

In both ways (pros and cons) once you've read a couple of Mr. Koontz's books from the 1980s, you know what to expect in many ways. Top-notch action, adventure, thrills, and suspense. Interesting settings that totally draw you in and either make you wish you were there, or make you glad you're not. Creepy places to explore. Mysteries to unravel. Strong female ch
Carl Alves
Whispers is a tight, psychological thriller where a Hollywood writer and director is attacked by a man in her house. She fends off the first attack with a gun and his second attack with a knife, killing him in the process. But Bruno Frye doesn’t want to stay dead. First, it starts with phone calls where the caller hangs up without speaking, and then it leads to another attack. Hillary, who much like Bruno, has her own childhood issues, starts a relationship with the detective on the case, and th ...more
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it

Despite a solid plot and weighted characters, Dean Koontz’s suspense novel, Whispers, published in 1980, perhaps has not aged as well as the author intended.

Unfortunately for Koontz and his first “best-selling novel,” since its publication, a plethora of television crime shows with similar plots and characters have run on the various networks, ultimately rendering his main characters as typical and his plot as just a hair different from many an hour-long episode.

Consequently, many eleme
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Kiedyś wygrałem w konkursie powieść Deana Koontza “Przy blasku księżyca”. Podobała mi się, niby groza, ale jednak bardziej fantasy, niż typowy horror. Od tego czasu obiecywałem sobie, że nadejdzie taki dzień, w którym zainteresuję się mocniej twórczością tego wiecznie uśmiechniętego Amerykanina.

Trafiło na “Szepty”, powieść, którą nie sposób ot tak, zwyczajnie odłożyć, gdy już się lekturę zaczęło. Rozmach Autora zachwyca, jakiż ten facet ma gest, jeśli można użyć takiego sformułowania w stosunku
Patricia Hamill
Super creepy!

This psychological thriller twists and turns in terrifying and creepy ways. It's part mystery, part horror story, and part love story. The starlet at the center of things triggered the murderous intent of the villain simply by resembling his mother. Due to no small measure of luck, she manages to fight him off twice, giving him a fatal injury the second time. And that's where the story would have ended in a less inspired book. Not this one, though, because the dead man comes for he
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Koontzland - Dean...: Whispers (Group Read - March 2018) 19 27 Mar 13, 2018 07:10AM
Dean Koontz's GOOD ONES 6 17 Jan 23, 2018 05:51AM
Koontzland - Dean...: Whispers (Group Read - June 2013) 66 101 Mar 20, 2015 10:07PM
please add the isbn13 for this book 1 8 Dec 20, 2014 05:40AM
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Invasion
  • Fountain Society

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99