Start by marking “The Quantum World:” as Want to Read:
The Quantum World:

The Quantum World:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
As Kenneth W. Ford shows us in The Quantum World, the laws governing the very small and the very swift defy common sense and stretch our minds to the limit. Drawing on a deep familiarity with the discoveries of the twentieth century, Ford gives an appealing account of quantum physics that will help the serious reader make sense of a science that, for all its successes, rem ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Harvard University Press (first published April 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum World

pegah
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
یک کتاب خوب با یه ترجمه واقعا بد! در واقع این کتاب احتمالا یه ترجمه دانشجویی بوده. یک نمونه از پرت بودن مترجم اینکه نویسنده یه جا راجع به موج و ذره و ماهیت اونها صحبت میکنه و مثال پخش شدن صدای ارگ در کلیسا رو میزنه که من حدس میزنم از کلمه

Cathedral

استفاده میکنه و مترجم محترم نوشته

"مثل پخش شدن صدای ارگ در مسجد جامع"!!

دیگه من نمیدونم منظورش مسجد جامع اصفهان بوده یا جای دیگه :)
Dennis Littrell
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physics
Ford, Kenneth W. The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone (2004)
Brings the reader closer to QM than anything I've ever read

This is the best book on quantum physics that I've ever read. What Kenneth Ford, retired director of the American Institute for Physics, set out to do (and I think largely accomplishes) is to make the world of the quantum (somewhat!) accessible to the general reader. Using a minimum of mathematics and a maximum of analogy and explanation expressed in a direct and read
Vicente
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
De lo mejorcito que he leído sobre cuántica y física de partículas a nivel de divulgación (sin fórmulas) aunque no lo recomendaría para un no-iniciado. Kenneth Ford no se asusta de los conceptos difíciles: diagramas de Feynman, función de ondas, superposición y entrelazamiento cuántico... Consigue transmitir dichos conceptos con un lenguaje simple y ameno.
Ananthch
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good effort by Ken, but my advice is to save your time. To sum it up - poor presentation skills. After having spent so much time in the real world where you learn that verbosity is the enemy of communication, there's but one verdict you can offer up to Ford.

To be fair, it's a difficult subject and he's done an okay job of surveying the landscape. There's just too much verbiage devoted to things that aren't really central to getting an idea of what these people are spending their time doing. It'
Chris Kemp
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book. To me, quantum theory is truly fascinating, inexplicable, and mind-boggling, and this is probably the most informative book I've read on the subject since developing a minor obsession about it a couple of years ago. ;-)
Margie
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to know more about the quantum world
Recommended to Margie by: Self
I have, after months of struggle, made my way through this book. Do I agree that it was "Quantum Physics for Everyone?" No. Did I learn more about Quantum Physics than when I started the book? Yes. I had no idea there was so many types of particles that were smaller than atoms. I had heard of many of the Physisists, along with their breakthrough theories, who were mentioned. I would say that the main detriment to this book being for "everyone" is that the author asks you to remember too much abo ...more
Monica
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took about 4 books on the subject for me to finally understand why people try to make the philosophical link between quantum physics and spirituality.
I can not claim that I can fully grasp all the scientific principles that are explained and I definitely didn't attempt the review questions at the end of the book, but Ford's statements that most quantum physicists can't visualize all of this, and that thinking about them for too long makes their head spin too...makes me feel less like a fraud
Lee
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dr. Ford explains the unexplainable, in a way that a layperson can understand. If you studied high school physics and chemistry, you'll have a much easier time with this book. Ford's language is relatively simple and straightforward, and he has organized the material in a way that moves from the more easily grasped ideas of quantum physics up to the more exotic. He also sprinkles the book with anecdotes and "fun facts" about the scientists whose research brought us to our current understanding o ...more
Robert
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not quite for "everyone": I thought a lot of the concepts in the book were very poorly explained. I have previous read several books on quantum mechanics, and this book was in no way clear, concise, and organized. That definitely doesn't help when dealing with a subject as difficult as quantum mechanics. I really believe though that even such a difficult subject can be explained in terms that a 12 year old could understand, but this book simply does not succeed. My understanding has improved som ...more
Arnav Mendiratta
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Started reading this at a book store while family was shopping. I just picked up a book for passing my time while my family shopped, oh well, it did pass my time. I read half of the book in 3 hours right there at the book store.

Ford has assumed no per-requisites required and hence, "For everyone". Being from a science background I wish we could go a little more deep into the quantum world but I would still give it a 5 for how this book has been jotted down and presented an idea of quantum physic
John Kowalczyk
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particles, particles, and more particles. A good description of the myriad of subatomic particles, paired with explanatory analogies in the everyday macro world and a contextual reference of who discovered them, when, and how. Over 50 diagrams and tables help illustrate and make sense of this nonsensical world of the quantum scale. However, "quantum physics for everyone"? I don't think so. Anyone unfamiliar with what they're getting into might be turned off by the number of particles covered, bu ...more
-uht!
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I read this book thinking I'd learn about all the cool, quantum weirdness that has been sensationalized in the media. It's really a book about subatomic particles, though, and can get a bit tedious.

Some things I loved about it:

1. The author's homages to other physicists. He digs being a physicist and it shows. And he loves the accomplishments of others.

2. The disucssion about the particle-wave duality. Probably the best I've read.

3. The discussion about the experiments that led to the theory of
Jef
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Quantum mechanics is outlined from particle physics (a really good review of particle physics BTW) through some of it's more esoteric results. His explanation of the delayed choice experiment really made more sense than any I had read to date. He does not subscribe to any of the way out explanations for QM like Many Worlds or Universal Mind. Just looks forward to the day when we understand QM better.
Frank Brennan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that will make your head hurt. But it will challenge many assumptions you had from high school and college science classes. If you want to learn what quantum physics is about - and no doubt many don't - then this is an ideal book. But don't expect to read this in one, two or three sittings. More like 45! Seriously, this is a work that is best read in small doses to let the information and the concepts sink in. In fact, I found it beneficial to read many sections 2 and 3 times.
Matt
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think the subtitle might be a little misleading: "Quantum Physics for Everyone." In reality, at least in the form presented in this book, quantum physics is not for everyone, not even people with two or three years of college level physics in their recent past. The Quantum World at times reads like a reference manual with its detailed description of every theoretical subatomic particle.
Peter
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ford is pretty funny for a physicist. This book is clearly written and provides some nice examples for someone without a back ground in quantum theory. That being said, I found the early chapters (not surprisingly) more accessible than the later, when the quantum "weirdness" (the term that always seems to describe quantum physics) is in full force.
AC
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice exposition on the world of quantum physics. Ford does a good job providing insight into the world of quantum physics, what it took to get to the knowledge we have, and what we're still trying to uncover. You'll get a good feel for the complexity of this area of physics and why it's so difficult to make major advances.
Matt Young
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't care what the armchair physicists and philosophers say, you CANNOT get a feel for quantum mechanics without a prior knowledge of mathematics. Having state that, Ford does a good job giving a glimpse into this interpretation of reality. Good coverage of basic topics in QM.
Erin
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Erin by: The internet
Kelley
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time while commuting and every time I would nearly miss my train stop. How many physics books can do that to a non-physicist? It explains the scientific concepts clearly and paints fascinating pictures of the men and women behind the discoveries.
RhC
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laymen interested in a fundamental understanding
A thoroughly readable textbook. But, a textbook nonetheless.

I must point this out because, as a textbook in a field where the number of discoveries and revelations are increasing exponentially, it is already out of date.
Emily
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was well-written. I just couldn't keep focused. So it's my own fault, not the author's.
Raj
May 01, 2011 is currently reading it
i'm a physics nerd, sue me
Ro
Dec 11, 2007 rated it liked it
What I learned from this book? There are many clever people out there. Only a few more clever than me, of which one wrote this. Struggling on.
Leslie
Jul 12, 2008 added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I might come back to this one - it was interesting, but hard to follow as a complete newbie to the world of physics (study, that is. Of course I encounter physics every day!)
Cade "the
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is probally my favorite books. it talks about photons to mesons to baryons and other amazing stuff i recomend it to people who like quantum physics
Rmsteinberg
Jan 29, 2008 is currently reading it
I'm only on the third chapter, but I'm not terribly impressed with the writing style so far. It is neat to learn the history of discovery of elemental particles, though!
Ray
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best science books I've ever read.
Anna
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Probably one of the most simply explained books on quantum physics. That said the subject matter made my head swim as everything about particle theory violates common sense and intuition.
Graziano Governatori
Stupenda descrizione divulgativa del mondo della fisica quantistica, semplice, ed al tempo stesso accurata e chiara
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • Quantum Reality
  • Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
  • Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness
  • Thirty Years that Shook Physics: The Story of Quantum Theory
  • The Accelerating Universe: Infinite Expansion, the Cosmological Constant, and the Beauty of the Cosmos
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • Quintessence: The Mystery of Missing Mass in the Universe
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • Quantum Gods: Creation, Chaos, and the Search for Cosmic Consciousness
  • Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • Uncertainty: Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, and the Struggle for the Soul of Science
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down