Start by marking “Just Us Women” as Want to Read:
Just Us Women

Just Us Women

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"No boys and no men-just us women," Aunt Martha tells her niece. And together they plan their trip to North Carolina in Aunt Martha's brand-new car. This is to be a very special outing-with no one to hurry them along, the two travelers can do exactly as they please.
Published May 23rd 1984 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Just Us Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Us Women

Alexandra
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was such a sweet story about a little girl and her aunt going to visit some relatives and they make so many pit stops along the way just to spend quality time together. they bring maps to help them chart their course (this takes place in the 80's) and stop at roadside markets to buy "all the junk we like" and there's no one else around to tell them not to:)

they pack chicken and bread and cake in wax paper and stuff it all into shoeboxes, and when that runs out, they eat in a fancy restauran
Carl
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I happened to find this book in my classroom collection and the "Reading Rainbow" sticker on the cover popped out at me. When I saw the cover with a girl riding in a convertible with an adult woman, I thought this would be worth a look.

I think this is an important book to have in a classroom collection for a variety of reasons. The two main characters are African American, so it automatically isn't cut from the cloth of most books. However, making the two main characters female makes this book
Connie
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story follows a girl as she takes a trip with her aunt. She describes special details, such as the fact that they're going to wrap their food "like my aunt did as a little girl" or that they're going to make lots of stops and "nobody will be there to say uh-uh". They have a great time just flitting about, eating dinner at a fancy restaurant and buying "as much junk as we want" from garage sales. You can really feel how much the two love each other and love spending special times together.

In
Michelle Marcano
This is the story of a little girl and her aunt, they go on a road trip just the two of them without any men. The girl is very excited to be spending some time with her aunt without anyone to interrupt. This story is great because it is one of those books where you can feel the characters emotions. I love this story to teach about writing stories and the way the Author is in charge of passing their emotions and feelings on to the readers. This book is also great to use to talk about different fa ...more
Emily
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Girl power! Touching book about the bond between niece and aunt and the journey they take together. The illustrations are incredibly realistic to the point that you feel as if you're on the road trip with these lovely ladies or, at the very least, viewing a photo album of their trip. Warning: Boys may feel a little left out of this adventure. But from the female perspective, it's really meaningful and important to have a book that is truly for women and centered on the awesome relationship betwe ...more
Emily  Nuttall
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just Us Women is a picture book about a young girl going on a road trip to spend some quality time with her aunt Martha, in her aunt Martha's car. The young girl is narrating the story, and she explains all of the special things she and her aunt will be able to do without anyone else to interrupt their time together. This is a fun cute story, with the them of girl power, family/friendship between an aunt and her niece. It is for children ages 4-8, especially little girls.
Rachel
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about a girl and her aunt taking a roadtrip in the aunt's new car, all the way to North Carolina. I like how they say "No boys and no men--just us women". It sounds like a fun roadtrip. They are taking fried chicken, biscuits and cake in wax paper filled boxes, and get to stop and shop when they feel like it and take pictures. It is just a relaxing trip between two girls. No one is rushed, I like that.
Christal
There is more than one publishing year for this book and I do not know which one I read or if there is any difference. This book is a family styled book and I would read it to students who think about traveling. The title is a little misleading but I am truthful when I say it is a good read with good content. Not too long or wordy.
Susan
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book's perfect. An aunt and a niece go on the kind of car trip where you don't have to hurry and you can stop and eat and look at anything you please. No men allowed. Just two women suiting themselves. I love Pat Cummings' realistic, warm, beautiful illustrations. Text and pictures are full of love and genuinely give the reader a treasured memory.
Kenya Chase
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a very easy book to ready not many pages. It was very interesting to read about the little girl and her Aunt Martha preparing for a trip and how excited they were. It was also a really good way to help a young child understand some of the things to do to prepare for a road trip.
Kira Richardson
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a nice book for young girls to read or have read to them by a female family member. The illustrations are nice and the book is in a rural setting. This book was an easy read and and very enjoyable.
Amy
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reading-rainbow
Reading Rainbow: Hot-Air Henry
This book seemed not quite right - it was a really simple/short which would be best for younger kids but the theme (taking a road trip/getting dressed up/shopping) seemed best for older kids (girls.) So. Bea isn't really either.
Courtney Sharpton
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was cute. I loved how she talks about all the different things they are going to do on their road trip. It is a great story to share, however it is a little dated. The illustrations are a little old and the writing is ok.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book captures the joy of a leisurely road trip perfectly. Love that it focuses on the bond between a girl and her aunt. Very interesting color palette, too.
Alfajirikali
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this one. It seemed to be about practical freedom/independence. (Although, it did seem somewhat escapist.)
Megan
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful--makes me want to take a women only road trip too!
Tara
Feb 23, 2014 added it
Detailed illustrations. Relatable - do you have a family member you do special things with?
Alexis Gilbert
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I read it when I was smaller and I got how it was about spending time with the people you love.Also it was about a girl who goes on a car trip with her aunt and she has a great time.
Sarah Hannah
I loved the hell out of this book as a kid and it stands up over time.
Sydney
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my FAVORITE book as a little girl! It made such an impression that, as an adult, it's now one of my go-to gifts for all the little ones in my life.
Arnetha
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story about a little girl and her favorite aunt and the special car trip they take together.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
somehow reminds me of that movie with whoopie goldberg as the nanny and the little girl whose mother died, the one where the make up the jello song. maybe because of the scene in the car
Cheryl
Wonderful book about an aunt and her niece who take a relaxing road trip. Beautiful illustrations
Meg Medina
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This title was selected for Girls of Summer 2011. See review here. http://girlsofsummerlist.wordpress.co...
Sha-Quita Jordan
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a simple and short. It is about a little girl and her favorite aunt and the special car trip they take together. Appropriate grade level is 1st-3rd grade.
Claire S
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women, ever-young
We liked this one a lot, all good feelings, nothing really serious; just a slice of life that is different from our own. Gentle and sweet.
Molly Darr
Just Us Women captures a road trip shared between a young girl and her aunt. No men just women, is their motto as they enjoy eachothers company on their travels.
Kristen
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • Mama Says: A Book Of Love For Mothers And Sons
  • Twelve Rounds to Glory: The Story of Muhammad Ali
  • Jazz On A Saturday Night (Coretta Scott King Honor Book)
  • Talkin' About Bessie: The Story of Aviator Elizabeth Coleman
  • Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan
  • Ellington Was Not a Street
  • The Way a Door Closes
  • The Paper Crane
Jeannette Franklin Caines is the recipient of the National Black Child Development Institute's Certificate of Merit and Appreciation.

Ms. Caines grew up in Harlem and now lives in Freeport, Long Island.
More about Jeannette Franklin Caines...