Start by marking “The Gods of Dream” as Want to Read:
The Gods of Dream

The Gods of Dream

What are dreams? Some think they are figments of our mind. But what if they were wisps of a distant, magical world... a world you could visit?

Twins Cade and Tasha discover Dream, the land dreams come from. It is a realm of misty forests, of verdant mountains, of mysterious gods who send dreams into our sleep. Cade and Tasha seek solace there; they are refugees, scarred and
Published (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Gods of Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gods of Dream

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
God
690 books — 106 voters
Watership Down by Richard  AdamsAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarquePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeDune by Frank Herbert
In a Brown Mood
669 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Duperre
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.8 out of 5

All my life I’ve held the opinion that fairy tales come to us from the darkest depths of imagination. They are stories of suffering and grief wrapped up in a bundle of cutesy imagery, mythical beasts, and social disorder. They come as warnings: Little Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel against the allure and dangers of child predators, Jack and the Bean Stock against the perils of experimentation and exploration without first understanding the consequences…and these are on
Jason
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
2 Stars

The Gods of Dream by Daniel Arenson is a safe, young adult oriented fairytale. It is a bit on the dark side but is very light on violence and fear. I am a fan of Arenson and have really enjoyed his Moth series. This one is simply too straight forward and toned down for my liking. The main character siblings are not all that likable even though they have a very interesting history, as well as present situation.

I breezed through much of this book and retained very little. I thought about s
Alexia Pemberton10
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
The novel Gods of Dream was not the best book I had ever read. Gods of Dream by Daniel Arenson is about two twin teens that get called to a place called Dream. They are called because they have to save the land from their neighbor, none other than Nightmare, (as a book normally goes).
The characters in the book were not so clear. I had many difficulties trying to picture what the kids actually looked like. Other than Cades hands, they had scars on them from a tragic accident that was never reve
Rau
Jul 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: oblivion
So far (about 20%), this book has made less than a sterling impression on me.

To start with, I think there is a limit on how many times you can use the expression "dappled with light", and Daniel here has surpassed it many times.

About the songs I can only say this: they can rhyme or they can have rhythm or even both. To be honest, these did neither.

The villains are clichéd, and the story so far is somewhat simplistic. I will try to finish it because I don't like to leave books unfinished, but I'm
Geoffrey
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The cadence is right so it flows like a fairy tale even when it delves into some very harsh subjects. It's dark, it's entertaining and very well constructed. I enjoyed it for the same reasons I like Orson Scott Card's Hart's Hope and Neil Gaiman's Stardust....
Bill
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a boy and a mouse, Cade and his twin sister Tasha, in an epic journey to save Earth by traveling across Dream in into the heart of Nightmare.

Knowing that it is a stand-alone story, I didn’t want it to end. I loved the incredible landscapes and inhabitants of the Dream and Nightmare worlds; the author wrote just enough to let my imagination run wild.
Rachel Hyland
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cade and Tasha are twins. As children, their world collapsed when a bombing in an unnamed but evidently dangerous country killed their parents, and both still bear the scars: Cade, on his hands; Tasha, on her psyche. She’s suicidal and clinically depressed and absolutely, heart-breakingly pitiful. Actually, they’re both pretty fucked up.

Happily, they have an escape from their workaday world that most PTSD sufferers are denied. They have been given access to the magical quasi-land of Dream, the r
Juli Rahel
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by Daniel to review and I really enjoyed it. It's a fantasy novel that will definitely warm your heart. It is centered around two young adults, Tasha and Cade. Cade has survived a terrible accident that scarred him and killed their parents. This has turned Tasha into an emotional wreck, trying to commit suicide multiple times. There is only one place they can be happy, and that is: Dream.

Dream is a beautiful place where our dreams are made. It has its own pantheon (group
Grace Krispy
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written by Daniel Arenson, "The Gods of Dream" is an epic fantasy with an exquisite and surreal feel. The author has a talent for description, and it's easy to picture the worlds of Dream and Nightmare. They're everything you thought they may be, and maybe even more. The storyline has a bit of a Biblical feel, a feeling which is heightened as the two sides draw closer to the battle that will determine the future of both realms, as well as the future of all humans. Each realm has a variety of dif ...more
Missy (Missy's Reads & Reviews)
To describe it in one word: fabulous. This story, from start to end, keeps your attention. From the plot to story to characters, there is not one thing about it that doesn't draw you in and keep you there. The language used in the book is nothing short of completely captivating, and [dare I say] lyrical - though I vowed to never use such a word for words in all of my reviews. I can't help it, there's no other way to describe it. As a matter of fact, I've never seen the English language used so e ...more
Emily
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I had to pick one word to describe Gods of Dream, it would definitely be lush. Maybe vivid. While fans of epic fantasy will find many well-loved and familiar threads here, it's the word usage and the description of the setting and characters that set this book apart.

The story is familiar enough- a beautiful and beloved land is in danger of being overrun and ruined by a dark and evil land, and an unlikely choice of hero is chosen for a great quest. In this case, our unlikely hero and heroine a
Nathaniel Matychuk
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far, I am pleasantly surprised. Could get 5 stars from me. Getting a real Neverending Story vibe.

---

EDIT:

Finished,

If you like fantasy of the Neverending Story, Labyrinth, and Legend variety, you are in luck. If you only like Game of Thrones style fantasy, then you should realize that this is something else.

This book has butterfly winged kittens playing a major role, so decide ahead of time if that is something for you, and don't criticize something as bad when it is really just the aesthetic
Jessica Billings
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
When the world of Dreams come under attack by Nightmare, twins Cade and Tasha are the world's last hope. With help and gifts from many of the strange inhabitants and gods of Dream, they slowly work their way into the evil that's threatening to take over. They must fight off hordes of demons, outwit monsters, and work their way out of hopeless traps.

When I call this an epic tale, I truly mean it. There are so many places to visit in dream, so many gods and strange beings, and so many challenges t
Mikaela
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The blurb caught my attention, and when the author offered it as a free read on Amazon, I decided to take the chance. I am leery when it comes to indie books, since you never know what you get. I am glad I took the chance.
To me, this book felt like one of the old sagas, set in the unique world of Dream. Dream are filled with gods, speaking animals, and magical beings like the Pegacats. Dream is lush and sunny.
If Dream is sunny, Nightmare is dark and bleak. Nightmare is home to demons, and othe
Maria Hooley
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm always amazed by authors who can create such intricate fantasy worlds, and Arenson is masterful in this regard. During this novel's journey, I felt as though I'd really traveled to the world of Dream, and I loved every moment of it. In a matter of pages, I realized that this story was filled with possibilities and mythology, and I liked the idea that in order for Cade and Tasha to embrace their real lives in spite of a painful past, they had to save another world and that act would give them ...more
Amanda Fantini
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, to-buy
To be honest, I'm not even sure why I finished this book. The plot itself was intriguing enough, and the mythology that surrounded it had good bones but was poorly executed. The writing style seemed childlike in nature, as if written by a fantastical 12 year old child with a big imagination but just lacking the skills to properly weave such a grand saga. The author seemed to go on and on with repetitive descriptions as if trying to beat into the readers' heads just how beautiful Dream is and how ...more
Donna
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
This book totally missed the mark for me. At the beginning it seemed like a children's book with the Candyland-ish place names--Beluga Beach, Caterpillar Cove... Then the main characters and the plot made it feel like a YA novel so I was getting on board with that when suddenly there was some fairly sexual dialogue between the bad guy and his demon wife whom he created to be his sex slave. It felt totally inappropriate.

The writing was very simplistic and the plot consisted of a very long string
Greymalkin
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
While I enjoyed that this was a more native american-ish take on fantasy worlds, the actual plot was a total clunker. There was very little tension and the endless repetition of "unbeatable horrible monster faces off against totally untrained hero and somehow gets defeated and then they get some special treasure" felt like a D&D session. A boring one. I couldn't finish it. When the hero and the princess meet and fall in love at first sight that was it for me. Felt like it was written by a ta ...more
Laurie
Nov 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Another freebie and...strike 3 they're out! This one was slightly better than the previous two I had gotten for free. The storyline was intriguing, but some things made me think maybe a high school student wrote it. That's what I kept thinking while I was reading. That and how many times can a person be knocked unconscious but wake up and be miraculously saved? It should have been better than it was. The world of Dream was described well enough for me to wish I could actually go there. But the s ...more
Deana
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks-kindle
Given the right set of circumstances, this book could have been incredible. I don't know if I was jut in a horrid mood (doubtful, but willing to consider that possibility) or what, but this story left a lot to be desired for me. It wasn't great, wasn't horrid, but the most I can say about it is "Meh," and "Long."
Dunno. Hopefully, I'll get around to re-reading it at some point, and it will be a better read then. Again, a lot of potential, but just didn't do it for me.
Suzanne
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for free and unlike some, I love reading Indie authors! I have found reading Indie authors is like going to an off Broadway show. Yes, you can hit bad one but when you hit good one they are very creative and they take risks. This is one such story. It contrasted the fancifully beautiful against the ugly.
Jordan
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It was alright. It was interesting enough to keep me reading, although the prose and characters were extremely jouvenile. It felt like Arenson had taken a children's book and made a few alterations just so he could tag it as "adult." Though I enjoyed it, I will most likely never read it again, and would not recommend it unless it were to an 11-year-old girl.
Neil Blaiberg
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a bad fantasy adventure, but not my favourite by Daniel Arenson.

In summary a boy and his sister travel to the land of Dream to save it from the onvading forces of Nightmare. Should they fail, both Dream and Earth will perish.

A solid 3 / 5 book, enjoyable, although the ending was predictable and not believable.
Anita Japp
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Epic tale : maybe TMI on details

Good story lots of interesting characters. I did find myself skimming some parts where the descriptions of the landscape were overdone in a way that appeared like the author was trying to be poetic. Creative and interesting, but just a little too much/long in places. Excellent YA story and interesting enough for adult readers to enjoy as well.
Chrys
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This book had high ratings on Amazon, so I figured I would give it a try, but I was sorely disappointed. The writing is immature, the dialogues are awful and the whole story predictable. The author borrows too much from other stories. Dream and nightmare resembles heaven and hell too much to be interesting. The attempt to create a a new language is pretty sad. I do not recommend this book.
Judy
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok, interesting concept. However, the characters were way too gruesome. Too many adjectives were used to describe their evil appearance. Their appearance was too far-fetched. In some ways it reminded me of a condensed Lord of the Rings. If you've read LOTR then it was somewhat predictable.
Margaret
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story of a quest to save the world of Dream held my interest from beginning to end. The charcters came alive for me and Arenson did a wonderful job of creating a fantasy world and drawing me into it.
Andrew
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
A very moving tale that perfectly captures the essence of dreams and nightmares. A beautiful surreal and epic fantasy in the vein of Lewis and Tolkien, with a light-hearted touch.

After reading The Gods of Dream, I can't wait to read the rest of Daniel Arenson's novels!
Christine
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
D. Arenson did a really nice job. The book held my interest quite well despite many distractions. Storyline and characters were well developed, and even got a couple of tears from me. Definately a Fantasy Author I would recommend.
Lydia Brown
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story with beautiful character s. Will definitely be reading not of Daniel Arenson's books.

• Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • The Black God’s War Preview
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Witch's Ladder (Tony Marcella Mystery, #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Until Again
  • Alpha Rising
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • City of Rogues: Book I of The Kobalos Trilogy (The Ursian Chronicles)
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • The Stolen Moon of Londor (The White Shadow Saga, #1)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Walled Garden
  • The Venom of Vipers
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh
“Gray, the colour of forgetting.” 12 likes