Start by marking “The Soul Hypothesis: Investigations into the Existence of the Soul” as Want to Read:
The Soul Hypothesis: Investigations into the Existence of the Soul

The Soul Hypothesis: Investigations into the Existence of the Soul

What do we mean when we speak about the soul? What are the arguments for the existence of the soul as distinct from the physical body? Do animals have souls? What is the difference between the mind and the soul? The Soul Hypothesis brings together experts from philosophy, linguistics and science to discuss the validity of these questions in the modern world.

They contend th
Paperback, 1st edition, 304 pages
Published December 16th 2010 by Bloomsbury Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Hypothesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Hypothesis

Peter Mcloughlin
Books that shift ones views about the nature of reality a few and far between. The editors of this book are Theists specifically Christians of some sort as they reveal in the conclusion of the book. At the outset of reading this book my worldview was pretty much materialistic and atheistic. If the authors wanted to convert me to Christianity they fell short of the mark. They have however changed my beliefs about the nature of consciousness in relation to the brain and caused me to embrace nonph ...more
David Olmsted
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
While I believe the soul exists from other lines of reasoning the line of reasoning in this book is not convincing. It is essentially the same old mostly philosophical arguments with half understood physics and neuroscience.

I had high hopes for the chapter entitled "Energy of the Soul" by Robin Collins which tries to claim that just because General Relativity Theory does not make a comprehensive claim for energy conservation in regards to gravity that the whole idea in regards to energy conserva
Wing
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The chapters on why physicalism (materialist monism) is incomplete are clear and convincing. Meanwhile, the chapters on physics are too speculative to be taken seriously. The section on emergent dualism is perhaps the most satisfying (perhaps because that is my own ontological view). Overall this is an uneven book that at times takes itself too seriously.
Christophe Finipolscie
This book looks for scientific evidence & theory that might be evidence for the existence of the human soul, and in this sense it is a rare find with some fascinating insights - but it is hard work to read.

It is written from a scientific perspective and is 'pro' the soul, but despite the efforts of its contributors through a series of essays, I found it very dry and in some places, quite obscure in its notions.

Yet some of the essays were pitched at a good level for the general reader - in pa
Louise Shepperd
Brittany Hamilton
Jan 22, 2018
Daniel
Jun 27, 2014
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2014
Eben
Oct 24, 2017
“Thus, it does not seem clear (to us) that there is truly a unified research program here, under the name of materialism. The apparent consensus could be something of a mirage, with the only thing holding it together being a denial of the Soul Hypothesis. If so, it begins to look more like a shared assumption than a shared discovery. And of course there can be consensuses based on fashion and the spirit of the age, as well as consensuses based on observation and reason. Even scientists must always be on guard to make sure they are part of the latter rather than the former. The honorable mantle of the scientist conveys no inherent infallibility in this regard.” 0 likes