Today is Read Across America's 20th Anniversary!

Posted by Cybil on March 2, 2017


Today is Read Across America's 20th anniversary. For the last two decades, the program has built a nation of readers and delivered the message that children who read—and are read to—do better in school and in life

The country's largest reading event, held every year on Dr. Seuss's birthday, will be celebrated by more than 45 million students, teachers, and parents today. Past guest readers have included First Lady Michelle Obama, Secretary Hillary Clinton, Morgan Freeman, and Serena Williams.

Read Across America is a National Education Association project, co-sponsored by Dr. Seuss Enterprises along with 50 national partners including the American Library Association, PTA, NFL Players Association, RIF, YMCA, NAACP, and Youth Service America.

To celebrate Read Across America, check out the NEA educators' recommendations for their favorite books for students, including the following:

Recommended books for elementary school students:
Stellaluna
Rate this book
Clear rating

Who Would Win? Collection
Rate this book
Clear rating

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Rate this book
Clear rating

Recommended books for middle school students:
The Lightning Thief
Rate this book
Clear rating

Warriors Don't Cry
Rate this book
Clear rating

Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash
Rate this book
Clear rating


Recommended books for high school students:
We All Looked Up
Rate this book
Clear rating

Rot & Ruin
Rate this book
Clear rating

We Were Liars
Rate this book
Clear rating


Check out more recent blogs:
Most Anticipated YA Books of 2017
Ready for Mardi Gras? Check Out These New Orleans Reading Lists
What's New This Week: 7 Great Books Hitting the Shelves



Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Love of Hopeless Causes Shouldn't it be "a" NEA project, as opposed to "an?" Will someone please think of the children? Needed now more than ever, it seems.


message 2: by MRNJ (new)

MRNJ Jay wrote: "Shouldn't it be "a" NEA project, as opposed to "an?" Will someone please think of the children? Needed now more than ever, it seems."

No, because I guess the letters are pronounced like "N-E-A". So that makes the "N" pronounced like "en", so it starts with a vowel sound, and thus "an" is used before it, instead of "a".


message 3: by Jakob (new)

Jakob Free Whether you use 'an' or 'a' before an acronym depends on if the acronym is spoken as a word (such as ' a NASA project') or a string of letters (such as 'an NEA project', unless you say 'nee-ah' instead of 'n-e-a').

Check this APA explanation: http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/201...


Love of Hopeless Causes Maybe I proved my own point, but if this is an acronym for National Endowment of the Arts, or some such, one wouldn't say, an National Endowment project. It depends on whether the abbreviation is an acronym or an initialism. As "fubar" and "scuba" are usually pronounced as a word (making them acronyms), it would make sense to say "a fubar" and "a scuba diver". "FAQ" is a bit harder, because I have heard people say it like an initialism: "‹f›‹a›‹q›", while others pronounce it as an acronym /fæk/. Therefore, one should write either "a FAQ" or "an FAQ" depending on how that person pronounces it, ie, whether it is an acronym or an initialism. http://english.stackexchange.com/ques...


message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Jay wrote: "Shouldn't it be "a" NEA project, as opposed to "an?" Will someone please think of the children? Needed now more than ever, it seems."
I prefer "a" before any acronym that starts with a consonant, too. Especially with this one. "an NEA" is awkward to say out loud


Love of Hopeless Causes MRNJ wrote: "Jay wrote: "Shouldn't it be "a" NEA project, as opposed to "an?" Will someone please think of the children? Needed now more than ever, it seems."

No, because I guess the letters are pronounced lik..."

So if I understand you correctly, you think of this as en-ee-ay? Because I don't. It's initialism.


Love of Hopeless Causes Paige wrote: "Jay wrote: "Shouldn't it be "a" NEA project, as opposed to "an?" Will someone please think of the children? Needed now more than ever, it seems."
I prefer "a" before any acronym that starts with a ..."

I think The Elements of Style would side with us on the basis of clarity as a writing goal. Thanks.


message 8: by Janice (last edited Mar 02, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

Janice Never heard of it, but I like it. I remember RIF, and SRA, as both of my parents were teachers.


back to top