10 Quotes Readers Fell in Love with This Year
An apple a day allegedly may keep the doctor away, but a quote a day can offer much-needed encouragement and inspiration. That's why we handpick a special quote for Goodreads members every day. (Not subscribed to our Quote of the Day email? Sign up here!) Check out which words of wit and wisdom were the most popular this year.
10. "Books are the carriers of civilization...They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print." Barbara W. Tuchman (Quote of the Day for January 30)
9. "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore." William Faulkner (Quote of the Day for May 7)
8. "Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself." Sara Henderson (Quote of the Day for September 15)
7. "We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams." H.G. Wells (Quote of the Day for September 21)
6. "Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real." Nora Ephron (Quote of the Day for May 19)
5. "Sleep is good, he said, and books are better." George R.R. Martin (Quote of the Day for August 6)
4. "Book collecting is an obsession, an occupation, a disease, an addiction, a fascination, an absurdity, a fate. It is not a hobby. Those who do it must do it." Jeanette Winterson (Quote of the Day for August 27)
3. "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr. Seuss (Quote of the Day for March 2)
2. "Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read." Raymond Carver (Quote of the Day for May 25)
1. "One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away." Stephen Hawking (Quote of the Day for January 8)
Do you have a favorite inspiring book quote? Share it with us in the comments!
Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)
back to top