9 Inspiring Quotes from Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl
June 12, 1942: On this day, Anne Frank received a diary for her thirteenth birthday. "I hope I will be able to confide everything to you," she wrote in her new diary. "I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support."
special radio report announcing that diaries would be gathered after the war as a record of the Dutch people's experiences. Eager to be included—"just imagine how interesting it would be if I were to publish a novel!"—Anne carefully revised portions of her diary.
After Anne and her family were captured, Miep Gies, a loyal friend, saved the diary and kept it safe until the war ended. She returned it to Anne's father, the only surviving member of the family, who successfully published it in 1947. Read on for incredible words of comfort and support from The Diary of a Young Girl.
1. "I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn."
2. "Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness."
3. "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
4. "In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit."
5. "I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after death."
6. "I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains."
7. "Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again."
8. "Because paper has more patience than people."
9. "It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)
back to top