Semifinal Round Now Open—2nd Chance to Vote in the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards!

Posted by Jessica on November 11, 2013
Semifinal Round Now Open for Voting! »

Meg Wolitzer! Sonia Sotomayor! Guy Gavriel Kay! These are just some of the authors you have boosted into the Semifinal Round with your votes. Goodreads members cast 852,885 votes for more than 13,000 books in the Opening Round of the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards. We have now added the top five write-ins in each category as official nominees, bringing the total to 20 nominated books in each of 20 categories. Congrats to the new nominees!

Jeannette Walls and Elizabeth Strout are now rounding out the already highly competitive Best Fiction category. Chris Bohjalian, Jamie Ford, and Edward Rutherfurd bring the male perspective to the formerly female-heavy roster in Best Historical Fiction. Other new nominees include headliners Elizabeth Smart in Best Memoir and Gwyneth Paltrow in Best Food & Cookbooks. And fresh blood in the YA categories includes Matthew Quick in Best Young Adult Fiction and Gail Carriger in Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction. View all the Semifinalists »

Vote now to support your favorite books, because big cuts are coming! The Semifinal Round closes November 16, and then we narrow the playing field dramatically. Only 10 books in each category will advance to the Final Round, beginning November 18. Don't let your favorite author get eliminated!

Vote for the best books of 2013! »


Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert It was so hard choosing for the Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction! :)


message 2: by Eve (new)

Eve I'm really bothered by the fact that almost all of the books in the romance category are new adult romances... Where are the old, good, established name authors with "grown up" romances? I'm afraid that Goodreads it's dominated by young adults in this last year, I can't even check the popular books cause all of them are young adult books. I also read YA and NA books and I have nothing against them but where are the adult people on GR? It's great that the young people read books, excellent, but I don't think that these books should be all that there is in the GR awards romance category...


message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan I like the lists a lot better now. The write in candidates are excellent additions. I'm voting in more categories now than in the first round.


message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Eve wrote: "I'm really bothered by the fact that almost all of the books in the romance category are new adult romances... Where are the old, good, established name authors with "grown up" romances? I'm afraid..."

I agree with you none of the major romance authors made the cut...Susan Mallery, Robyn Carr, Brenda Noval or Lori Foster. I actually wrote in Getting Rowdy because I was disgusted at the choices.


message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Alisha Rose wrote: "@Eve NA and YA is a genre, not just a category of readers. Most of the readers I know who read these NA and YA genres are not actually young but mature adults, or middle ages women, not just young ..."
Alisha, what does NA stand for? I know YA.
Thanks.


message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Thanks. BTW your comment about who reads these categories supports my opinion that libraries are making bad mistakes in how they separate out books. I hate the category YA/NA because it 1) condemns these books to lower circulation than the juvenile and adult categories and 2) deprives sophisticated juveniles the chance to read books that they are ready for. I firmly believe that if a kid is not ready for one of these books, they will find it "too boring" and stop reading before they come across things their not wise elders consider too much for these delicate beings. Are there YA that I would consider too rough for kids? Yes, of course. However I suspect there are very few kids who are so in love with reading that they will continue to read a book that they feel is out of their depth. OK, rant over...at least for now. Thanks again for the NA explanation!


message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose Brenda Novak's "Through the Smoke" was brilliant and I'm actually sad it didn't go through the romance or historical categories this year. =/

But then again, most of my write-ins didn't get in, so *sighs* I'm having to vote with my gut though many of these I haven't read yet (or the ones I did read - "Beautiful Bastard", "Walking Disaster", etc. I hated with the power of a thousand...somethings.)


message 8: by Dddddddddddddd (new)

Dddddddddddddd I don't know which to choose


message 9: by Dddddddddddddd (new)

Dddddddddddddd vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv


message 10: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Shore WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BURGESS BOYS?


message 11: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Shore Sorry, it was there! However, don't think The Interestings deserved a nomination.


message 12: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Shore Disappointed with romance noms.


message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy D Collins Be sure and show your support for NC authors by voting: Diane Chamberlain (Historical Fiction Category)- Necessary Lies. Nicholas Sparks (Romance Category)-The Longest Ride. Both books were superb- Two Winners!!!!


message 14: by Solangie (new)

Solangie DivergentInsurgentAllegiant
These 3 books are awesome!!! But the way the trilogy ends should be illegal!!!


message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie Pangan Voting for the Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction books just about killed me. 10/20 books were personal favorites of mine. But my heart was torn between The Darkest Minds, Prodigy(both of which made me want to cry/scream/murder the author when I got to the end), and Crown of Midnight.

I'll be happy if any of the three won, but a little part of me died because I couldn't vote for all three. D:


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

La categoría de Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction fue la más difícil de todas, amé Princesa Mecánica, sin duda el mejor libro del 2013, pero Crown of Midnight me fascinó hasta más no poder..


message 17: by Yaaresse (new)

Yaaresse Joan wrote: "Thanks. BTW your comment about who reads these categories supports my opinion that libraries are making bad mistakes in how they separate out books. I hate the category YA/NA because it 1) condemns..."

Breaking into your convo to say I agree with your about this. Thank heavens this was my parents' mindset on the subject, too. They never censored my reading material (at least not because of my age), and I'm convinced it's one of the main reasons I developed my own tastes rather than just following was was "supposed" to appeal to me.

Our library displays YA books with adult books, which I think works well for everyone. As you say, those who aren't interested move on to other things and the rest of us find hidden gems.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Question: How does GR choose the first 20?


message 19: by Solangie (new)

Solangie I know right,Alisha? I hate Veronica Roth now for doing that! (JK):p


message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan Yaaresse wrote: "Joan wrote: "Thanks. BTW your comment about who reads these categories supports my opinion that libraries are making bad mistakes in how they separate out books. I hate the category YA/NA because i..."
Yaaresse, you aren't breaking into any conversation, so don't worry about that. I can't say my parents were completely open minded: my Mom didn't allow "comic book trash" around the house. However, since I had no desire to read them, I don't think it really affected me much. I agree it is a good way of developing your own tastes to have parents stay out of the way while you explore what is out there.


back to top