Bookswap Closing October 31

Posted by Patrick Brown on September 30, 2011
Sometimes in the course of a products life we have reconsider our priorities. After months of careful exploration and thought, we have made the sad decision to put Goodreads Bookswap on indefinite hiatus.

We initially launched Bookswap as a way to help our members pass on their favorite books on other readers--and we still love that idea. However, we realized that to properly support and innovate bookswap required more love than we could give. In the end, we feel our focus and our strengths need to be applied elsewhere.

Over the next few weeks, you'll see several changes relating to Goodreads Bookswap as we gradually remove it from the site. The basic functionality will remain active until October 31. If you have unspent swap credits, you must use them before this date. Also, effective immediately, we will no longer be issuing new book credits for books shipped.

Since we know that many of you love to swap and will continue to do so, we'd like to encourage you to add your favorite swap site as a book link on your account. Most popular swap sites are already options, and all you'll have to do is click "add" as it appears next to the link. Additionally, you can now log into the popular site Bookcrossing with your Goodreads account. Feel free to recommend your favorite swap site below.

This is a sad moment, as the two thousand something of you who have used bookswap have by and large really enjoyed it. But the truth is that there are many other services that let people obtain books they want at a cheap price, and they do it better than we did. We're going to continue to focus on helping people find, discuss, and enjoy books - which is what we think we are good at. Perhaps we will revisit bookswap someday, but in the meantime we are very exited to work on improving other features, such as cataloging, groups, recommendations, and more.

We'd like to thank everyone who gave us feedback on our swap system. We really appreciate your passionate comments and suggestions. We'd also like to thank everyone who ever sent a book to another person. A good read in the mail a gift that keeps on giving.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,102 (1102 new)


message 1: by Gaudy (new)

Gaudy I can't believe this!!! i love the bookswap. i tried it on other sites, and goodreads bookswap was the easiest to work with.

you guys should really reconsider this!


message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen I'm very sorry about this.

I also use swap.com and bookins.com. I like them both, and have gotten some very good trades. Bookins.com has the best selection, but swap.com would have a great selection if we all start using it!

Each works differently, but they're both true trade sites. You get books (and CDs and DVDs) by giving books.

I have liked GR Book Swap best though.


message 3: by Nan (new)

Nan I'm sad to read this as well. I understand the decision--the swap, in its own way, was huge, and if it wasn't the focus of the site, it could have become the focus easily.


message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I love bookmooch.com but your book swap had almost replaced it for me. I always felt like the swap feature has been hidden on your site. So bummed that you're cancelling it instead of giving it proper billing. :(


message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana This is very, very sad. There have been a few changes on Goodreads I didn't care for, but this one is by far the most upsetting. I am disappointed by this decision.


message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana And a suggestion.

Goodreads might want to reconsider the way it makes announcements. The only reason I even know about this news is because one of my friends saw the posting on a Goodreads feedback discussion thread.

I doubt that many GR members check those boards on regular basis and probably even less people know about or follow this blog.


message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt What is the reasoning behind this? I have swapped many times and only had a minor problem here and there, normally the Post office's fault.


message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt And well, to be perfectly blunt, if you take this feature away, what's the point of using goodreads? Apparently after a year's membership, you can't win book on firstreads anymore. It's been over a year since my last win and I'm very active on here. No more swap. And last, authors have become very restricted on this website. I'm just honestly wondering.


message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Yea, I had NO IDEA about this until I saw it on my newsfeed from another member, and of course now i'm spreading the word.

A lot of those other sites charge monthly fees. A lot of people don't have that money.


message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I just looked at PBS and I don't like the idea of paying to send books to people and then just hoping someone posts something I want. Most of the books on my wishlist are new and hardback. I don't do cheesy paperback romances. I'm pretty bummed about this.


message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in this, as the bookswap has become an addiction of sorts for me. I also agree whole-heartedly with the person who stated that there really must be a better way of notifying users. A woman I'm in the midst of a swap with told me about this, and I only half believed it. I thought for sure I would've seen it myself somewhere. Imagine my shock when I came across this only as a result of a google search.

I can't picture myself using a different site - I've never found one that seemed to be a good fit for me before this one. I'm BUMMED!!


message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb Sad - so sad. I will certainly try other swap sites, but I probably won't come back to goodreads at all - the swap was really the only thing I enjoyed. I occasionally read reviews & such, but the swap was much loved in my household.

I also found out about this thru another post. Then googled it to find this post. That's also sad.

I hopefully can get a few more good swaps in before it goes.


message 13: by J. Pablo (new)

J. Pablo One of the big reasons why I started using a site like goodreads was for the bookswap. In anobii there never was enough people. Then I moved to goodreads but the feature wasn't available in my location. I waited and waited and then this. Oh well... I still like and will continue to use goodreads. I suppose I should give those other bookswap sites a chance then.


message 14: by Jenn "JR" (new)

Jenn "JR" This is horrible news - is there anything we can do to persuade you to change your minds?


message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb I recently started using the book swap and am very disappointed that it is ending. Even though I have yet to request and receive a book, I like the idea of sharing books with fellow readers who will enjoy them.

Perhaps there is some way the current Goodreads book swappers could informally continue this activity? Anyone interested????


message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss I'm very disappointed about this news. Of all the changes on Goodreads, this is the one that will have the most negative impact on me personally. I love Goodreads Bookswap!

I refuse to utilize other swap sites that make me pay to ship my books. I should only have to pay for books that I wish sent to me. The "pay to ship" model discourages me from posting my books for swap, as I can not guarantee I can afford to ship several books in a given week, should they all happen to be requested at once. Furthermore, these sites rarely have anything I want, so credits earned via shipping my books often simply sit idle. It's a waste, in my opinion, and a terrible swap model.

I am on my soapbox, but I feel strongly about this. I will sorely miss GR Bookswap. It was a great feature that needed better publicity and prominent placement to fully succeed.


message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy This is too bad! I've had mixed results, but hate to see it go. It definitely was easy to use.


message 18: by Otis (last edited Oct 03, 2011 07:32AM) (new)

Otis Chandler I know - very sad - but it had to be. This blog post was the first notice - today we will be placing notice on the swap pages and emailing swappers too.


message 19: by Deb (new)

Deb Otis wrote: "I know - very sad - but it had to be. This blog post was the first notice - today we will be placing notice on the swap pages and emailing swappers too."

we will be getting credit for the books we have already put in the mail but have not been yet received by the readers who requested them? I sent a few books last week that are still in the mail


message 20: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler Deb: I think so, and if you don't email us and we will grant it :)


message 21: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Tara wrote: "And well, to be perfectly blunt, if you take this feature away, what's the point of using goodreads? Apparently after a year's membership, you can't win book on firstreads anymore. It's been over ..."

Boy, that's for sure! I haven't won a book since Jan and I'm here every day. I see people win books who have no books in their library and haven't submitted a review. Stinks!


message 22: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Barbour And here, I just came to join. Please reconsider!


message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah Hess I'm sad to hear this news! Bookswap is my favorite feature on Goodreads! Please reconsider!


message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela The bookswap is the main reason I joined good reads. I'll probably leave goodreads now.


message 25: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Very very disappointed. This was such an easy function. Everything in the same place one click swapping. Reconsider please.


message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 03, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

If anyone still wants any of the books I have I am still willing to send them out through the bookswap until the very end. There is no reason why I should stop sending them to others even though I'm not getting credit for it. Feel free to take a look at the books I own if you are interested.


message 27: by Jessica (last edited Oct 03, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Jessica I am so disappointed to see this end :(. Please reconsider closing it!


message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Tara wrote: "I just looked at PBS and I don't like the idea of paying to send books to people and then just hoping someone posts something I want. Most of the books on my wishlist are new and hardback.

For you, bookins.com



message 29: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla me to :(


message 30: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wish I would have known this BEFORE I shipped 8 books last week!!!! Thanks Goodreads....not a whole lotta Good in Goodreads anymore!


message 31: by Dani (new)

Dani Shuping but...I've tried the others. I've tried bookmooch and that never has anything any more that I'm looking for, paperbackswap kinda works for me sometimes, but I've gotten so much more use out of y'alls service than the others. In part because I know that I'm still paying for the books, even though it's small fee. I really wish y'all wouldn't close this.


message 32: by Deb (new)

Deb I'm also still willing to send my books. I hope others are also. We have till the 31st!


message 33: by Deb (new)

Deb me too!!


message 34: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Is there another book swapping place where you don't have to pay for shipping, to send it to someone. I'm super sad to see this go, I just started it.


message 35: by Dimity (new)

Dimity I'm a recent user of your swap and I'm really disappointed to hear this news. I used swap.com quite a bit in 2010 but I really found goodreads swap so much easier and cheaper to use. The other sites are such a production and easy for others to abuse.


message 36: by Anissa (new)

Anissa I absolutely agree with other assessments. The Bookswap feature was too difficult to find and get the acquainted with on the site. Once I did, I'm a huge fan and enjoying it immensely. The site has no use to me without the bookswap, so I guess goodbye to Goodreads.com.


message 37: by Kristy (new)

Kristy This is terrible! The book swap is the main reason I use this site! It was always the best way to swap books. I switched from using Paperbackswap but I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to go, which sucks.

GR will lose a lot of site traffic because of this and no doubt members as well. Very disappointing.


message 38: by Toni (new)

Toni I am disappointed to hear the news !! I love bookswap, PLEASE reconsider!!


message 39: by Kassie (new)

Kassie The HAVE to reconsider. That is seriously the only reason I joined goodreads, and from what I can tell, is the main reason a LOT of people joined. What is the purpose of this? It's easy to use and its a LOT cheaper than hunting around for MONTHS for a book you want just to wind up having to buy it for WAY more than it's worth. Can we get an actual REASON as to why it's shutting down?

I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything, but I think this is SERIOUSLY unfair and a bit rude. I'm peeved, to say the least.


message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica Bookswap is the only reason I come to Goodreads!


message 41: by Jeff (new)

Jeff McCormack I really enjoy looking through bookswap and will greatly miss it, it is such a good and easy to use service. Why not just leave it active like it is? It works fine and everyone loves it.


message 42: by Loucindy (new)

Loucindy I think Goodreads actually does a better job with bookswap than any of the other sites I've used before. It was also convenient to have this as part of Goodreads, so I'm going to really miss this aspect of the website.


message 43: by Elisa (new)

Elisa I and my family are extremely disappointed that you have decided to stop this feature. It is the only reason I joined Goodreads. I've also recommended it to quite a few people because of this feature.

I have my first shipment arriving soon and I was so excited about it and now you say you are cancelling the program. I really liked that I only have to pay for the shipping when I am requesting books for myself, not when someone else wants books. This is the first bookswap I have found that does that.

I've actually started going through my many bookcases and started sorting out books because of this feature. I don't think I can state strongly enough just how disappointed I am about this!!!


message 44: by Marilyn (last edited Oct 03, 2011 07:31PM) (new)

Marilyn I was on two other swap sites before I found GR and the bookswap was the main reason I joined. In a few months time, I was able to get more WL books than I had in over a year on the other sites. This has me seriously bummed. I've met so many nice people and book friends by chatting over a swap. I don't know how else I would meet anyone on this site that shares my reading interets. PLEASE, PLEASE reconsider - this was so easy to use and reasonably priced.
I use PBS and Booksfreeswap.com - Booksfree is just under 2 years old and still needs more people and has some kinks but try it - maybe it will work for us.


message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gaudy wrote: "I can't believe this!!! i love the bookswap. i tried it on other sites, and goodreads bookswap was the easiest to work with.

you guys should really reconsider this!"


I agree 100%!!!


message 46: by April (new)

April So...what's the point of this website now?


message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Lunsford Like several comments above have mentioned, although there are some minor tweaks that could make it better, there's really nothing wrong with the service as it stands today. The only reason to not continue it as-is (even unsupported) would be for competing business priorities.

If there is any indication for the goodreads team here, it is that no one has commented anything like, "I'm glad it's gone."

Personally, I was a very passive goodreader until I discovered bookswap. Since then, probably ninety-five percent of my page views have been dedicated to browsing the swap section. As it was before, so it will be again.


message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren April wrote: "So...what's the point of this website now?"

EXACTLY!!!!!

Dude!!! It's like Borders closing all over again... I think I might cry :(


message 49: by Tracey (new)

Tracey And yet no one had the courage to admit it when asked directly, and repeatedly, in the feedback group ... Nice. First some truly bad site renovations a little while ago and now this ... LibraryThing is looking better and better. Bad, bad decision-making.


message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Yikes! I was checking my "pending swaps" and couldn't find anything listed and then I saw the note about GR's BookSwap ending. Boo!!!

Even with the low profile of the service, lot's of people have been using it. I've met some great people through BookSwap and have made friends with them.

If I have to pay to send books to other people, it won't happen. I'll probably go back to just donating the books to a local library, but that doesn't help me in gathering new books on my To Read List.

I hate the idea that this service will stop come 10/31/11.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
back to top