7 Great Books Hitting Shelves This Week

Posted by Sharon on March 31, 2020
Need another excuse to treat yourself to new book this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day.

To create our list, we focused on the books Goodreads members can't wait to read, which we measure by how many times a book has been added to Want to Read shelves. All these top titles are now available in the United States! Which ones catch your eye?


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Nonfiction, essays, humor, Samantha Irby, social satire, skincare obsessions, health food, small-town America, Meaty, We Are Never Meeting in Real Life


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Historical fiction, World War II, spy thrillers, the world’s most famous female espionage agent, outsmarting Nazis, impossible feats of daring and courage, extremely cool women


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Contemporary fiction, successful sixty-something women and the lives they lead, adventurous golden years, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Waiting to Exhale


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Autobiography and memoirs, Alicia Keys, Alicia Keys’ music, 360-degree biographical structures, Harlem childhoods, the music biz, overcoming pitfalls thereof


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Historical fiction, Texas oil towns in the 1970s, stories told from multiple points of view, tales of the lingering effects of a shocking crime


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Contemporary fiction, literary ambitions, stories about Silicon Valley, stories about escaping Silicon Valley, Asian American perspectives in strange American days


Rate this book
Clear rating
You should read this book if you like: Mysteries, thrillers, small towns, big secrets, stories about persistent women and the tragedies they overcome, the Missouri Ozarks, The Roanoke Girls


Which new releases are you looking forward to reading? Let's talk books in the comments!

Check out more recent articles, including:
Readers On Tackling Their Ultimate TBR Book
21 Debut Authors to Discover Now
10 Historical Romance Heroines Who Don't Need Saving

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)


message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it.


message 2: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Wechuli Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."
True....


message 3: by TheBookWarren (new)

TheBookWarren Haha fair point


message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."

Because male authors never get any spotlight, right? Sit down.


message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight genres are always Romance and YA, which are very feminine domains. Sorry that doesn’t fit in with your narrative, but why let your solipsism get in the way of truth, eh.


message 6: by Marianne (new)

Marianne McKeever Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."

I feel like you need some female authors in your life, Neil.


message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Marianne wrote: "Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."

I feel like you need some female authors in your life, Neil."


This! Had a look at this guy's shelves and it seems like he's doing fine stumbling on male authors by himself.


message 8: by Neil (new)

Neil Thanks, Marianne. I read both. That’s the point.


message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Neil wrote: "Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight genres are alwa..."

Oh Neil... :') The spotlight genres are pretty varied actually, so you clearly aren't tracking quite as well as you thought. I'm sorry that you're threatened by women's success, though. That must be hard for you.


message 10: by Marianne (new)

Marianne McKeever Lauren wrote: "Neil wrote: "Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight ge..."

Lol


message 11: by Neil (new)

Neil Uh, here comes the tedious ‘fragile male’ thing. Disappointingly lame.
I’d be interested to see your reaction, Lauren, if GR showed lists of exciting new titles without any female authors on:
1) Wouldn’t ever happen in the first place
2) You’d hit the roof

But, hey, I’ve said my piece. It’s as valid as yours is.


message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Neil wrote: "Uh, here comes the tedious ‘fragile male’ thing. Disappointingly lame.
I’d be interested to see your reaction, Lauren, if GR showed lists of exciting new titles without any female authors on:
1) W..."


If you honestly believed you were as valid as anyone else, Neil, you wouldn't be peeing your pants over a list without any men on it. You seem rather easily shaken. Here's a thought - if you don't like the list, go back to what you were reading beforehand. And wash your hands. Bye.


message 13: by Novall (new)

Novall Here is a recent release of a translation into English. The book, Banishment from Hell, by Robert Menasse should be added to Goodreads and may qualify for the list of new releases:
https://www.no-mans-land.org/article/...


message 14: by Ace (new)

Ace There’s some interesting stats on reading trends by gender, the users of Goodreads, and their reading habits. Could be related to how Goodreads chooses to engage with their audience.


message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia I didn't know I'd be looking at the Goodreads comment section for my dose of drama, but here we are.


message 16: by Zabe (new)

Zabe I would just like to say it really disappoints me that I just read a heated argument on here. Sure, not everyone agrees all the time, but this is a trivial matter to fight over. Yes, I know it has its roots in gender inequality, which many people have strong opinions on. But never is it ok to degrade others or personally attack them. Don’t think I’m blaming just one of you, because it takes two to tango. Especially in these times, we need to stand united, not divided. An unfriendly word can go a long way, but so can a kind one.


message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha Leonard This is my first time on and i am distracted and annoyed by this phrase: You should read this book if you like: Although this initial phrase to introduce each book previewed was initially helpful in understanding the words to come, because it is in bold and comes for each entry its repetition is uncalled for. And its boldness makes focusing on body of the book entry hard to do. What if you had the repetatve phrase in ordinary font and the body of the entry in bold. Or skipped a line, or left a few spaces or a dash. Anything but the way it is would be so much better and easier to read.


Your Local Zannie Neil wrote: "Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight genres are alwa..."
If you’re feeling offended because there are more female authors than male ones on this website, GO FIND ANOTHER WEBSITE.


Your Local Zannie E wrote: "I would just like to say it really disappoints me that I just read a heated argument on here. Sure, not everyone agrees all the time, but this is a trivial matter to fight over. Yes, I know it has ..."

*we need to stand united, but six feet apart


message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Lauren wrote: "Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."

Because male authors never get any spotlight, right? Sit down."


LOVE your answer! why the absolute fucking hell are guys so sensitive? have they not realized history has been controlled by them for-fucking-ever?!?!?


message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim The Sisters Grimm by Menna van Praag
Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor


message 22: by Neil (new)

Neil What would women cope without you to White Knight for them, Jim? You might think you sound noble, but actually you are just patronising women by stepping in to debate for them without being invited to, as if they are unable to form an opinion of their own.

While I disagreed with Lauren, I totally respect her opinion and think she’s more than capable of standing up for herself.


message 23: by Plum (new)

Plum de Gnome Adams wrote: "Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, you can visit the website at ( https://drogunagasuperherb.wixsite.co... ) or call/whatsapp at +17205044550 ... you can email him ..."

WTAF


message 24: by Casey (new)

Casey Ervin Jim wrote: "LOVE your answer! why the absolute fucking hell are guys so sensitive? have they not realized history has been controlled by them for-fucking-ever?!?!?"

This is so cringe.


message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim Neil wrote: "What would women cope without you to White Knight for them, Jim? You might think you sound noble, but actually you are just patronising women by stepping in to debate for them without being invited..."

Neil, so noble in his whingeing!
I am annoyed at your post, not defending anyone else's reply.


Your Local Zannie Neil wrote: "What would women cope without you to White Knight for them, Jim? You might think you sound noble, but actually you are just patronising women by stepping in to debate for them without being invited..."

Okay, dude. Just stop now. The argument is over.


message 27: by Archit (new)

Archit I can actually see where Neil is coming from. While I fully agree that female creators have been sidelined for far too long, we won't move in the right direction unless we are egalitarian in our approach.

One injustice cannot justify another injustice. Let both male and female authors get the same amount of spotlight in these Goodreads articles.


message 28: by Carmensutra (new)

Carmensutra I am really excited for Ernesto Cisnero's Efren Divided which is an #ownvoices story about a Mexican American boy and how he takes care of his family after his mother is deported. A very important and timely story.


message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim Archit wrote: "I can actually see where Neil is coming from. While I fully agree that female creators have been sidelined for far too long, we won't move in the right direction unless we are egalitarian in our ap..."

If you think fixing sexism (or racism or homophobia or poverty...) is as simple as "...being egalitarian..." you don't understand the problem at all.


message 30: by coty ⚡ (new)

coty ⚡ Neil wrote: "Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight genres are alwa..."

The only reason YA and romance are "women genres" are because that's the only genres people ever acknowledge them writing. Women will write books and explicitly state they're for an adult audience and will still get treated like a YA author. There's heavy misogyny in the literary world, you can't deny it, and you don't seem to be lacking in male authors to read so why don't you sit down and shut up, dude?


message 31: by Archit (new)

Archit Jim wrote: "Archit wrote: "I can actually see where Neil is coming from. While I fully agree that female creators have been sidelined for far too long, we won't move in the right direction unless we are egalit..."

Actually, Jim, being egalitarian is the hardest of things which is why no society has been able to pull it off successfully. What's simple is retorting with a reflexive "GO FIND ANOTHER WEBSITE" to valid concerns. A child with milk teeth could do that.


message 32: by Neil (new)

Neil Coty, how about you not tell fellow humans whose opinions are as valid as yours to ‘Sit down and shut up’. Or do you not believe in free speech and respect?

I made a valid point about an imbalance which is completely evident and borne out at the very top of this page. I wouldn’t have told a female (or anyone) to “sit down and shut up” had they made a similar observation.


message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Neil wrote: "Coty, how about you not tell fellow humans whose opinions are as valid as yours to ‘Sit down and shut up’. Or do you not believe in free speech and respect?

I made a valid point about an imbalance..."


No, of course not, Neil, but you did get bent out shape that I suggested men have enjoyed a privileged position in literature for a long time, so it may be about time to let women shine. This is an imbalance that's held true for generations, is borne out by evidence, and made you throw your toys out of the pram to be confronted with.

Please, you're embarrassing yourself now.


message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle If everyone would take the drama elsewhere, that'd be fab.


message 35: by Maria (new)

Maria Lauren, you're awesome. Thank you.


message 36: by Susan Gishey (new)

Susan Gishey How about inexpensive really good books by whoever wrote them?


message 37: by Neil (new)

Neil If that’s how you see it Lauren, that ok.

I disagree with you on the opening issue and stand by my point, but do respect your opinion. Let’s leave it at that.


message 38: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Olivia wrote: "I didn't know I'd be looking at the Goodreads comment section for my dose of drama, but here we are."

hahaha


Your Local Zannie Archit wrote: "Jim wrote: "Archit wrote: "I can actually see where Neil is coming from. While I fully agree that female creators have been sidelined for far too long, we won't move in the right direction unless w..."

Thanks for that, and again, just stop. The argument is over, this is pointless, and all we’re doing is making each other mad. We’re not getting anything done anymore.


message 40: by Philippe (new)

Philippe Vercruysse This was a great read... thanks for the entertainment


Lalaa #ThisBlackGirlReads right! Lauren wrote: "Neil wrote: "Go ahead and throw in a male author every now and again, Goodreads; just if you feel like it."

Because male authors never get any spotlight, right? Sit down."



message 42: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Just started Chris Bohjalian’s newest, The Red Lotus, which came out earlier this month. I am LOVING it!


message 43: by Desiree (new)

Desiree Ezeji So much drama and I’m not even reading a book yet. Sheesh.


message 44: by Adira (new)

Adira Olivia wrote: "I didn't know I'd be looking at the Goodreads comment section for my dose of drama, but here we are."

Isolation has bought out the catty in folks. 😂😂😂


message 45: by Michael (last edited Mar 31, 2020 02:11PM) (new)

Michael Cordell Olivia wrote: "I didn't know I'd be looking at the Goodreads comment section for my dose of drama, but here we are."

ROFL. Hard to hide from it, I guess.


message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael Cordell Coty wrote: "Neil wrote: "Actually, Lauren, on Goodreads and many other major bookish sites they don’t. I’ve been tracking this section on GR for a couple of years and it’s always the same. And the Spotlight ge..."

Bingo!


message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Cordell Danielle wrote: "If everyone would take the drama elsewhere, that'd be fab."

Amen. Sheesh.


message 48: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Olivia wrote: "I didn't know I'd be looking at the Goodreads comment section for my dose of drama, but here we are."

I want to borrow this, it has so many uses.


message 49: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 31, 2020 02:48PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon I agree with Neil, and I'm a woman. One of my pet peeves is the phrase 'strong woman' be it writer or character. Surely by making a point of the sex of a writer then you're adding to division. I don't choose books based on whether the author has a vagina or a penis, I choose books because they're well-written.


message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Jazzy wrote: "I agree with Neil, and I'm a woman. One of my pet peeves is the phrase 'strong woman' be it writer or character. Surely by making a point of the sex of a writer then you're adding to division. I do..."

I disagree with Neil and I'm a woman. Last weeks' list had a couple male writers on it, just as an example.

I know that doesn't solve everything but that's as far back as I'm willing to go because ultimately the gender divide brought up here doesn't matter in the context of lists written by Goodreads. It matters in that, showcasing female authors is important, because for many years female voices- amongst other 'minorities'- have been drowned out by male. We all know that, so to be picky about a few articles written on Goodreads totally misses and kind of undermines part of the point.

Not to mention that, as someone else pointed out, these articles may be written partly dependent on algorithms designed to best interact with users.

Jazzy, I know you didn't mean it in such a way, but it's a similar argument to 'I don't see colour'. Great if you're accepting and unbiased, but it doesn't mean others aren't.


« previous 1
back to top