20 Upcoming Books Librarians, Editors, and Booksellers Think You'll Love

Posted by Hayley on May 30, 2018
If you’re like us, you can’t resist a good book recommendation. That’s why we love BookExpo America, the largest annual book trade fair in the United States, where editors, publishers, and booksellers meet up to talk about their favorite upcoming titles.

Take a look at our round-up below and add the books that catch your eye to your Want to Read shelf. These highly anticipated books will be hitting stores over the next several months.


Fiction
Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Nonfiction
Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Young Adult
Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Middle Grade
Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

Rate this book
Clear rating

What soon-to-be-published book are you most excited to read? Tell us in the comments!

Check out more recent blogs:
How to Start a Successful Book Club
The 24 Most Popular Book Club Picks on Goodreads
Author of 'The Pisces' Has Your Bookish Horoscope

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)


message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL


message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!


message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Fitzgerald I have “Waiting Game 2018” shelves, one for each month. Starting with June, that’s a total of 82 want-to-reads. Like Pam in message 2, I hope I live long enough to finish my reading list,🤣 Out of those, the ones I’m most looking forward to are Strays Like Us by Cecilia Galante, She Loves You by Ann Hood, and My Forever Home by Debbie Burns. ( Have to wait until December for that one!)😱


message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"


LOL I really need to read, I hope if I make it to heaven it has books!!!


message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"


I read three books at a time when I am not on the computer lol, and now out veggie gardening and cooking and cleaning house, I may need new eyes soon!!


message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Stephanie wrote: "I have “Waiting Game 2018” shelves, one for each month. Starting with June, that’s a total of 82 want-to-reads. Like Pam in message 2, I hope I live long enough to finish my reading list,🤣 Out of t..."

Big smile!!


message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Please stop putting memoirs under non-fiction.

Sincerely,

A Librarian


message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

One of my biggest problems is, so many books to read, so little time!


message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Chris wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Please stop putting memoirs under non-fiction.

Sincerely,

A Librarian"
Would you also object to putting histories under non-fiction?"


Not if they are based on empirical data.


message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Pam wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"

I read three books at a time when I am..."


That's the problem Pam,all this work we have to do, It gets in the way of reading!


message 12: by Owais (new)

Owais Ahmad I am waiting for "21 lessons for the 21st century" by "yuval noah harrari". Com'on prof release it already.


message 13: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Fischer Maureen wrote: "Please stop putting memoirs under non-fiction.

Sincerely,

A Librarian"


Why do you not consider memoirs to be nonfiction? Do you mean they should have their own genre? I've always thought of them as nonfiction because they're true stories. Perhaps a little embellished, but true, right?
Sincerely,
Another library worker


message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Chris wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Not if they are based on empirical data."

Hmmm. Well, if that's your standard, what's wrong with memoirs? Histories and memoirs are both based on empirical data. Of course there's ..."


There is no measurable data in a memoir - they are based almost entirely on the memory and recollection of the writer. If they weren't they would be an autobiography. I disagree that history is written by the 'winners'- David McCullough and Doris Kearns Goodwin are reliable historians without a horse in the race. Yes, I think memoirs should be placed in either fiction or another designation that illustrates the fact that the book may be entirely made up BS.

Here's my review for Educated by Tara Westover which depicts exactly how I feel about memoirs: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Cheers!


message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Cassandra wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Please stop putting memoirs under non-fiction.

Sincerely,

A Librarian"

Why do you not consider memoirs to be nonfiction? Do you mean they should have their own genre? I've alwa..."


I have found memoirs to be consistently unreliable. I do think they should have their own genre and be taken out of Dewey entirely. A fact is not embellished that’s why it is a fact.


message 16: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Fischer Maureen wrote: "I have found memoirs to be consistently unreliable. I do think they should have their own genre and be taken out of Dewey entirely. A fact is not embellished that’s why it is a fact."

My library has biographies and memoirs in their own section. I've just always lumped memoirs in with nonfiction because it's closer than fiction.


message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Cassandra wrote: "Maureen wrote: "I have found memoirs to be consistently unreliable. I do think they should have their own genre and be taken out of Dewey entirely. A fact is not embellished that’s why it is a fact..."

Maureen
Yes we have memoirs in the 920s with biographies also but it makes me crazy!


message 18: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Chris wrote: "Maureen wrote: "I have found memoirs to be consistently unreliable. I do think they should have their own genre and be taken out of Dewey entirely. A fact is not embellished that’s why it is a fact..."

I think our posts must have crossed :) My review for Educated encapsulates my problems with memoirs.


message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Good question Chris!


message 20: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Don’t agree with your assessment of Doris Kearns Goodwin. Have a nice day!


message 21: by Topher (new)

Topher Colin more accurately titled "20 upcoming books of questionable merit authors, publishers, and amazon think they'll be able to effectively market to you at some id/ego/superego level, so you'll part with your money and time"... but doesn't mean i'll/we'll actually love the finished product.


message 22: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne S I am most eager to read Barbara Kingsolver's new one, Unsheltered.


message 23: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie I want to read books I mean a lot but I don't know what to read.i don't have a lot of time to read all of the books I want to read.


message 24: by Yaaresse (new)

Yaaresse Maureen wrote: "I have found memoirs to be consistently unreliable. I do think they should have their own genre and be taken out of Dewey entirely. A fact is not embellished that’s why it is a fact..."

Interesting. I neither agree completely nor disagree completely, but I'm glad to see someone else questioning the ever-blurring line between fiction and non-fiction categories. I see terms like "creative non-fiction" and "biographical novel" thrown around, and it makes me cringe a little. In one book club I was in, I swear half the people in it couldn't discern between history and historical fiction and kept calling one biography a "novel."

Not sure what the answer is. But I wish they'd stop putting memoir under non-fiction simply to open up that designation for listing other kinds of books. I can only stand so many books by young celebrities bragging about how screwed up they are or the "my year or doing something ridiculous" or mommy memoirs.


message 25: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:31PM) (new)

Elizabeth Maureen: Chris's point about Doris Kearns Goodwin is correct; she was caught not properly crediting sources. There could be flaws anywhere in the nonfiction collection. Chris's example of history books made sense; there could be flaws in the source material.


message 26: by Holly (new)

Holly Wonderer wrote: "Maureen wrote: "David McCullough and Doris Kearns Goodwin are reliable historians without a horse in the race"

Two points in response:

1. You seem to be saying that McCullough and Goodwin don't u..."


Perhaps memoirs and biographies could have their own category? I would support that; I enjoy a wide variety of non fiction but rarely read memoirs or biographies. So, when I see a list of non-fiction books I'm a little disappointed the books are all memoirs and nothing of interest to me.

I don't think that the complaint is that biographies don't count as non-fiction.........I think the point is that non-fiction is MORE than just people's personal life stories.


message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana I've always liked Doris Kearns Goodwin. As a writer and an historian, she filters her works through her own observations and understandings. I do not think she sets out to mislead, not by any means. Some of those charges of 'plagiarism' are for "plagiarizing" from her own works. She is an excellent writer and very fair. Her works are neither hatchet-jobs nor puff pieces. She is a human being, so her works are colored of course from her point of view. I would highly recommend he work on FDR, "No Ordinary Time".


message 28: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

Same goes for me!


message 29: by Patti (new)

Patti Tyler Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"
Me TOO! I just keep adding books like I am going to live forever!!


message 30: by Mary HD (new)

Mary HD History is a matter of interpretation. These days I consider many works of historical fiction to be as "accurate" as any volume of history.

I got over the question of whether autobiographies told the "truth" about the writer when I read the Autobiography of Gandhi, (somewhat amusingly subtitled The Story of My Experiments with Truth). No one could be as perfect as Gandhi presented himself; it was annoying. (I read it when I was 22; I am now 67.)

I have read very few so-called autobiographies since then, and have instead focused on - and enjoyed - memoirs, particularly those of relatively unknown people who are telling a story about a distinctive time and place that they experienced. They often have the ring of truth. I recommend them.


message 31: by Nick (new)

Nick Ziino I'm looking forward to John Grisham's "The Reckoning" and two by James Patterson:"Texas Ranger" and "The 13 Minute Murder".


message 32: by Dennis Ecklund (new)

Dennis Ecklund Mary HD wrote: "History is a matter of interpretation. These days I consider many works of historical fiction to be as "accurate" as any volume of history.

I got over the question of whether autobiographies told ..."


I couldn't agree more about your opening statement. By way of evidence, I offer the Aubrey-Maturin series by Peter O'Brian.


message 33: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Galore Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I've somewhat given up on the hope I'll be alive long enough to read all the books I'd like to read. It is hopeless, but I'll try anyway.


message 34: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie French There is a lot of truth in fiction and a lot of fiction in what is purported to be truth. Writers of Historical Novels do as much research as those writing factual books. They just use it in different ways.


message 35: by Graciela T. Parsons (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:13PM) (new)

Graciela T. Parsons Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"


Well, Pam I have the same dilemma. I am trying to calculate the books that I want to read by the years left in my life (I am 78 and very healthy) and I still will have to read quite a few books a month. Thanks God I am retire and have plenty of time. (I think) LOL


message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison Davis I can't wait to read Melmoth, if it's as good as The Essex Serpent I shall be ecstatic!


message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Cazzola Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL" same here :D


message 38: by Dana (new)

Dana Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I have the same fear :)


Bb3LScFbVYAWQFEMpWnBoX68QIdmlDpFR97SJTFqNg0= Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"The way I look at it is: If a book is on my list, it WILL one day get read. Therefore I will live at least to age 236.


message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris Miilu Diana wrote: "I've always liked Doris Kearns Goodwin. As a writer and an historian, she filters her works through her own observations and understandings. I do not think she sets out to mislead, not by any means..."
Doris Kearns Goodwin's No Ordinary Time was a history of a family, the Roosevelts; it was an incredibly fascinating biographical study of a great American family. I have watched her interviews; she is deliberate in her responses. She and David McCullough are respected historians. Robert Caro is another historian whose work is very good. We need biographers to provide source material for famous people whose lives made a difference. I have read Churchill's memoirs, and his histories. I have read Thucydides and Heroditus; obviously Thucydides is the more respected. William Shirer is a valuable resource for Germany as Hitler came to power. We need the memoirs and historical documentation provided by those who were part of great world events. These voices are our glimpse into the past. I recommend George Kennan's Sketches from a Life; he was a diplomat during the time when Hitler came to power; he was reporting from Moscow. I also recommend Subversives by Seth Rosenfeld; I lived that period as a young person at UC Berkeley; I watched the FBI gathering information about radical students. We were aware of Hoover's spying on "subversives" aka young students. Some of us had part time summer work in the Counselor's office; when the FBI came through to gather personnel folders for professors they considered to be subversive, we put those folders out of reach. This was not a good time for freedom of speech, or of the press. I remembered my mother watching the McCarthy hearings, as the drunken McCarthy destroyed a decent woman, Helen Gahagan Davis. Now we have a corrupt President who will not hesitate to attack and slander his opposition. He doesn't drink; however, he is a throwback to a time we should remember as a time when decent people, especially teachers, were destroyed. The Parkland kids have given us a voice: Never Again.


message 41: by Rasool (new)

Rasool Safary How can I buy your books?I've tried it several times but i couldn't.


message 42: by Kitty (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:14AM) (new)

Kitty Galore Wonderer wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Please stop putting memoirs under non-fiction.

Sincerely,

A Librarian"
Would you also object to putting histories under non-fiction?"

Memories are what is remembered which in many instances is not an exact truth. Our memories are clouded and mutated over time. Meanwhile, historical facts, while having different perspectives over time, never changes.


message 43: by John (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:27AM) (new)

John Day Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"

I read three books at a ti..."

I wish someone would explain to me how anyone can meaningfully read more than one book at a time, for pleasure? The stories must be so boring or have little or no plot to them that it makes no difference if you lose the thread. What are these books you read?


message 44: by Toby (new)

Toby Wells Wow, this list will help me so much to complete 100 books a year challenge, thank you!


message 45: by Dana (new)

Dana Bb3LScFbVYAWQFEMpWnBoX68QIdmlDpFR97SJTFqNg0= wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"The way I look at it is: If a book is on my list, it WILL one day get read. Therefore I..."

I LOVE your optimism :)


message 46: by McKayla (new)

McKayla Pam wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"

LOL I really need to read, I hope if I..."


Pam I'm only making it to heaven by the grace of Jesus, but I hope there's books there too!


message 47: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael McKayla wrote: "Pam wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"

I know what you mean Pam !!"

LOL I really need to read,..."

I'm right with you on Jesus, I sure need him always in my life!


message 48: by Simone (new)

Simone Pam wrote: "Well I added a few of these to my TBR, I hope I live long enough to read all the books I have LOL"
Yeah, I'm born with a to-read-list I'll never finish lmao. Currently, there are 459 books on it, and it's not finished yet...


message 49: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael Aww Simone me too, me too!! Everyday I want to buy more books but damn I will be reading into my 100's lol right lol


message 50: by Simone (new)

Simone You know the feeling you want to read soo fast because you want to finish your to-read-list but you don't want to read so fast because you don't want to end the book you're reading at the moment??


« previous 1
back to top