Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Mr. Ivis Bo Davis to Limelight.
1. Mr. Davis, please tell us the name of your books. The series is called Xterra: The Series. The first book is XTERRA Conspiracy and the sequel is named XTERRA Escape.
2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? I began writing 12 years ago in 2000–as a hobby. I read a science journal that stated the Earth’s EM field is failing. I wanted to see what form that would take socially and scientifically, so I wrote a novel about it. My friends convinced me to publish.
3. How long have you been writing? I started writing in High School but my teachers would not believe I could write that well and tried to flunk me for cheating. So I quit writing for 40 years.
4. Are you self-published? Not exactly. I was self-published at first through CreateSpace. Unfortunately, I also tried to build my own website too, but I didn’t know how to set it up properly. A local vanity press (HISpubg.com) in Dallas Texas picked me up and helped get my books published properly at a reasonable price.
5. What has been the most difficult part about being a writer? Writing is the easy part. Publishing was much more difficult until I found HIS Publishing Group, but editing and marketing was a nightmare because I didn’t know how much I didn’t know. HIS Publishing Group got my manuscript professionally edited for a low price, and provided other essential services.
Eventually through a local writer’s group I met a book marketing specialist who is indispensable. Her name is Rachel Simeone and her email is Rachel@zetablue.com. Yes it costs money, but when the marketing finally takes full effect it will be worth every dime.
6. Who are the authors who inspire you? Robert Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Clive Cussler, John Grisham
7. Do you outline your scenes before you write, or do you wing it? I’m a bird on the wing. I see the story unfold visually then write what I see. As the characters make decisions it changes the story. Some of their decisions are good, and some have terrible outcomes. It became increasingly difficult to keep all the various plots and identities straight.
8. Do you begin writing your story as dialog or plot? Both, I see an opening scene, and the people involved are talking and moving toward an event that will hook the readers attention, and provide a focus as the foundation for the story.
9. Tell us more about the universe in which your book is set? XTERRA means out of Earth in Latin. My book begins with the revelation that Earth is dying and the population is terrified. It is set in a time about 100 years from now.
10. Who are your favorite characters in the book? Why? The colonists are all young people with a few older folk not over 40 years of age to act as a mature leadership for the colonists as young as sixteen.
EDWARD TODD WARD II (age 16) is the lead character. He doesn’t know it but he’s been groomed to lead a rebellion against the corrupt power brokers who are planning on enslaving the colonists for the wealth and power of their descendents. He’s a genius with photographic memory, and great determination. Todd’s persona is rather stiff and formal–as his life’s goal is to be a starship captain, and an explorer of new worlds. Why? Because Todd is a “nice” kid, smart, confident, responsible, capable, and well loved.
RANDOLPH DANIEL LONG is Todd’s best friend and his junior by exactly two minutes. He loves Todd and accepts his leadership without question–even though he is equally as capable. Randy is a prankster and a smart-aleck, but lethal in a fight. Why? Because Randy is just plain fun, and always ready to bend the rules.
ANGELA WORTHINGTON is the daughter of the highest ranking military officer in the United Nations Peace-keeping Force. She too is a genius, and at age 17 about to get her MD. She is the love interest, beautiful, blonde, and as tough as she is pretty. She gets her seat on the Colony ship illegally by assuming the identity of her best friend who is killed in a skiing accident. Why? Because she’s smart fun and cool under pressure–a trait learned from her father.
11. Describe the book’s theme? Unless mankind finds a new solar system to colonize they will die as a species in the fires of solar radiation. They must send their most brilliant young people on a voyage that will last from forty years to several generations. With Earth society dissolving into anarchy, and the terrorists denied a place on the ships, the Earth is set for a worldwide riot.
Terrorists want to prevent anyone from leaving Earth, and the global power brokers are controlling colonist selection with their own vile agenda at heart. When the terrorists get their hands on a nuclear warhead it becomes a matter of IF the colony ship can even leave Earth. The colonists are working secretly in the background to solve all these problems… if they survive.
12. How did you come up with the idea for your book? I read an article in a scientific journal that stated the Earth’s electromagnetic field was decreasing with a 1400 year half-life… and that species extinction was being influenced by this problem. It also stated the reason for the failing EM field.
13. What is next on your agenda?
•XTERRA - Unpublished books
1. Dark Matter (3/4 written – Danger between the stars)
2. Transformation -(Colonizing a new planet without understanding the ecology of the new planet
3. Ocean’s Revenge (A prequel - 3/4 written – just who are the nemesis of mankind?)
14. What advice do you have for new authors?
1. Get your manuscript professionally edited.
2. Get a professional to set up your website.
3. Find a local writer’s group and let them help you groom your writing skills.
4. Find an Indie publisher who will help you protect your intellectual property rights for a good price.
5. Copyright your work when it’s finished.
6. Get a Library of Congress Control number (LCCN) or you can’t sell to libraries.
7. Get a USBN number in your own name. If you buy ten at a time it costs less.
8. Get a professional book marketing specialist. Look around, there are many who work for reasonable prices.
9. Keep writing, 3 or more books prove your intent to be a real writer and may break the ice with a traditional publisher.
To learn more about or to contact Ivis Bo Davis go to:
Book Page: http://ivisbodavis.com
Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ivis-B...
Goodreads - Ivis Bo Davis
XTERRA Conspiracy (bk #1), & XTERRA Escape (bk #2) are available in Kindle, Nook, ebook, iBook, & paperback forms.
Now available at:
Amazon: www.amazon.com – Search: Ivis Bo Davis
Barns & Noble: – www.BN.com Search: Ivis Bo Davis
iBooks through: iPad, iPhone or through Apple iTunes.
HIS Publishing Group: www.hispubg.com
Bo Davis's books can also be bought on his website: www.ivisbodavis.com
If you would like to contact HIS Publishing Group, go to: email@example.com
If you would like to contact Rachel Simeone, you can email her at: Rachel@zetablue.com
Published on November 12, 2012 07:27 • 301 views
No comments have been added yet.