The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best of the Summer 2012 Challenge

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dlmrose | 7996 comments Mod
What were your favorite books of the Summer 2012 Challenge?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments Roam
Deadlocked
Pretty Little Liars

message 6: by JenC. (last edited Aug 21, 2012 03:05PM) (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments Still a few more books to go until the end of the challenge, but so far my 5 star reads are:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Little Stranger
The Invisible Bridge
The Secret Life of Bees
Fall of Giants

Coralie | 964 comments I rarely give five stars, but these made it.
The Summer Book
A Promise Of Peaches
Among Others

Regan | 22 comments I gave 5 stars to just one book:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I read the audio version with Jeremy Irons and he was pitch perfect. No one could be so reprehensible and likable at the same time.

My 4 star books:

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye
My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell
As I Walked Out One Evening: Songs, Ballads, Lullabies, Limericks, and Other Light Verse by W.H. Auden
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

message 14: by Cindie (last edited Aug 26, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Ritika (RitikaP) | 100 comments The song of ice and fire series
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows

Once I finished the first one, there was no looking back. I can't seem to want to read other books till I can finish them. Thankfully, only one more is left.

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments Good luck getting rid of that feeling after reading the most recent one - it will leave you hanging and wanting more!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments Yeah, the next release date is like 2013.

Ritika (RitikaP) | 100 comments 2013 is too kind an estimate :(. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping it is not another 6 years.

Chelsi | 90 comments 5 star reads
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy and The Year of the Gadfly by Jennifer   Miller

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments I read and fell in love with the entire Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I highly recommend them! In addtion, I finally read Divergent by Veronica Roth. Loved it.

Angie (pinkindle) | 435 comments My 5 Star reads were:

Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

message 26: by Chris (last edited Sep 11, 2012 03:58PM) (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 490 comments I always love it when I pick a book solely because it fits a task and then I end up really liking it. For the second challenge in a row, that's been a book with "rain" in the title. This summer is was
The Scent of Rain and Lightning Not sure why exactly, but the story really stuck with me long after I finished it.

Other top reads
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Girl in Translation
Cinder
The Friday Night Knitting Club - another suprise because I'm not a big chick lit fan
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Jennifer FL | 43 comments My one 5 star book from the summer 2012 challenge was Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jennifer W | 374 comments I really loved Identical, which wasn't surprising because I love her books in general. My other 2 favorites were Between Shades of Gray and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Quiet is a book that has changed the way I look at, and interact in, the world.

Lorna | 223 comments Summer Favorites;

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate