Shut Up & Read discussion

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
This topic is about Once Burned
Archives > Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri | 10292 comments Mod
We are going to be starting this Monday, August 20 if anyone wants to join us!

Melissa | BookBFF (harleybearbooks) I'm going to have to skip this one because I can't get the book in time, but let me know if you decide to do another buddy read after this or in the future bc I loved reading When She Woke with you guys =)

message 3: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

We're definitely doing more :) We'll let you know what our next one will be.

message 4: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 10795 comments Mod
Sorry you won't be reading with us Melssa. Are we reading eight chapters again?

message 5: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eight chapters a day would take us through Friday. That's fine with me...how about you Alyssia? I know you're going to be busy with school starting, do you want to do less?

My son just looked at the book and said, "Do you realize how many books you read with guys without shirts on the cover?" Funny things kids notice :)

message 6: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alyssia (alyssiarowan) | 2469 comments Mod
I can do eight chapters (hopefully)! Oh my gosh the anticipation of a new semester! I get to meet 129 new students today!!

message 7: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri wrote: "Eight chapters a day would take us through Friday. That's fine with me...how about you Alyssia? I know you're going to be busy with school starting, do you want to do less?

My son just looked at..."

My son said the same thing but he is 24 yrs. old. He asked, if I only read books with naked men on the front cover. I hold that's what I look for in a book. lol

message 8: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alyssia wrote: "I can do eight chapters (hopefully)! Oh my gosh the anticipation of a new semester! I get to meet 129 new students today!!"

Have fun today!

message 9: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "I can do eight chapters (hopefully)! Oh my gosh the anticipation of a new semester! I get to meet 129 new students today!!"

Wow, have fun!

message 10: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapters 1-8
I like the story so far. I don't have too much to say at this point. I really like Frankie. She's feisty and I think will make a fun lead character.

What is it with women in books not eating? I see that a lot and it bothers me because if I didn't eat for two days, I would not have had the energy to even walk I don't think. You think Vlad would have fed her on the plane. I'm looking forward to learning more about him. Mysterious, sexy vampire…

message 11: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like Frankie's ability/curse. On one hand, she can defend herself by electrocuting them and also see their future. On the other hand, she can't be intimate with someone because she can't touch them.

message 12: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Vlad :)

message 13: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri wrote: "I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Vlad :)"

I loved him in the Night Huntress Series. I was glad Jeaniene Frost gave him a book. Sherry, have you read that series. I loved it!

message 14: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've been meaning to. Everyone is always talking about Bones and how great he is :)

message 15: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sherry, you love Bones,too. I loved the banter between Cat and Bones. Cat is a kick-ass heroine and she doesn't back down from Bones. Just like Vlad and Frankie.

I was only albe to read a small amount yesterday but caught up today. I like how Vlad and Frankie were able to make that connection using her gift to save her from her captors. The connection is what soulmates have. We will have to see what happens.

Marty is sweet and like a loving father to Frankie. When I think of a vampire I don't think Midget.

Vlad is a scary but sexy vampire. Love his castle!

Frankie has an awesome ability and that power she posses is killing her.
I didn't want to stop reading!!

message 16: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 21, 2012 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know :) I really like Leila (Frankie) and Vlad's back and forth. They're a lot of fun.

Ok, so I admit I've been reading ahead on this one (I'm up to chapter 22), so I'll make sure I don't include spoilers.

I like Marty and his relationship with Leila. After hearing how his daughter died, I felt really bad for him. I hope he doesn't end up dying. The way the vampires are portrayed is interesting, too, with willing blood donors.

I'm halfway through the book now, and I'm hoping the scene setup is finished. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm ready for stuff to start happening.

message 17: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sherry, I am so jealous! I think I will read ahead, too.

message 18: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 21, 2012 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I actually didn't try to. I just wasn't paying attention and forgot to stop reading...Oh well :)

message 19: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is easy to do that listening to an audio but I'm reading this one. :)

message 20: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I accidentally finished the book. *sheepish face*
I worked until 2 AM yesterday and I was too tired to grade student essays. So, I just read...

lol.
This is the problem with paranormal romance. They are like candy or TicTacs or Pringles.

Chapter 17 (from tomorrow's reading?) gives away stuff about the Nught Huntress series, which was irritating for me. I have only read the first two in that series so far. But I did enjoy hearing from Bones again. I loooove him sooo much. The thing I like about Frost's paranormal romance is that it is often laugh out loud funny. True lol, not internet lol which can be anything remotely humorous. I found myself lol'ing several times last night, and it was nice to destress after yesterday, which was ... hellish.

---
I love that Vlad is a total scary badass. With a lot of these, vampiers are proven to be less terrifying or misrepresented. I am a fan of how Vlad is just a badass and his whole 'people can be many things at once' approach.

As a sidenote, for the early parts of this book I felt like I was reading Night Huntress - too many similarities - but the further on I read I started to get a sense for the unique situation of the book. The writing style and character types are very similar though - if Bones and Vlad weren't so different I might have been irritated with the book.

message 21: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh my god, I love Marty the midget vampire! Best. thing. ever.

And I was a huge fan of the circus performer angle. I liked the explanation for "Frankie"s name and role too. Having the explanation for who she had been adn how she had lived made the supernatural powers easier to swallow. I hate characters that are created within a vacuum - their situation is the current one and they have no history or development *until this point*.
Frost always brings family and psychology in, and I am a fan.

message 22: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol! Now I don't feel guilty for reading ahead :)

message 23: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was like "well, it's after midnight, I can go to 16." Then I saw Bones' name in 17 and was like "well, I won't have time to read on Wednesday, I can go to 24." Then I was like "mmmm" and next I knew...
yeah.
I am a bad person.
I should have been grading diagnostic essays.

message 24: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I need to get busy. lol

message 25: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "Oh my god, I love Marty the midget vampire! Best. thing. ever.

And I was a huge fan of the circus performer angle. I liked the explanation for "Frankie"s name and role too. Having the explanati..."

I was going to mention her name thing earlier and I forgot. I liked that too.

message 26: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 21, 2012 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh wrote: "I need to get busy. lol"

Now the pressure is on. I'm going to try to finish tonight. That means I have to get off here to finish my work up so I can read :)

I have to go to the store sometime today too. My kids start school tomorrow (yay!) and need stuff for their lunches...guess I had better be a good mom and not make them starve.

message 27: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think this will be our shortest buddy read ever! lol
I am glad I suggested it!

message 28: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Me too.
Alyssia, do you want to pick the next one. We can wait for a few days to start to see if anyone else wants to join too. I know Melissa wanted to do another one with us.

message 29: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't mean to ruin the buddy read. I still have thoughts chapter by chapter - I can totally talk about chapter chunks. I have big thoughts regarding later portions of the book.

I am sorry I ruined it!
*sniffle*

message 30: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

As for next pick, that's a lot of pressure:
Um. I would love to read Divergent, but Leigh already has. I wouldn't mind reading The Fault in Our Stars again, since you both want to read that one. City of Ashes is on everyone's list AND it's the BotM so it could be a great conversation book. Um, Graceling could also be good. Heck, I'd be ok with reading more of Frost's books. Really, whatever. :)

message 31: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

You didn't ruin it...I'm sure we'll have more to discuss once we get caught up :)

Any of those are fine, but I haven't read City of Bones yet, so I'd need to read that before Ashes.

message 32: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmm, well then never mind on that one. I saw you had it marked "next-in-series" and just made assumptions.
:)

message 33: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'd be ok with Pushing the Limits too. Wasn't that on the list? Or Girl of Nightmares!

Don't make me pick. Too much pressure!

message 34: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anything is fine with me. Even if you guys wanted to do City of Ashes, I could read City of Bones instead :) I've been meaning to forever.

message 35: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will finish tomorrow. I am enjoying it. I really like the banter between Vlad and Leila. Vlad is ruthless when it comes to protecting what is his but he is also thoughtful. I couldn't believe he was going to impale Maximus. Vlad's love for her was evident when he didn't go through with it. I wish we would have seen more of Bones and Cat. I didn't understand why they were there. I will post more tomorrow.

message 36: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I felt like they were there sort-of as fan-service. Oh look! Cat and Bones! Oh look, Bones is being Bones-like! I mean, plot-wise it is useful for Leila to be able to block mind-reading. But yes - I think Cat and Bones coming in wasn't necessary. I'm not exactly complaining, but...

message 37: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I completely agree! It made long for another Cat and Bones book. OMG! I just fininshed it. I can't believe it ended like that. I will be reading the next in this series. I like Leila and Vlad as a team. I think they will be as good as Cat and Bones.

Alyssia, what have you decided as our next book? As good as this book was we didn't have much discussion. I put so more books in the possible-buddy-read shelf. I think we have some pretty good selections. Did you look at it?

message 38: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh, were you interested in Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry?
If not, I pick Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore (from your list, but not Sheri's?) or Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth (hers but not yours) or The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Weigh in, please!

message 39: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree about not much discussion. I'm not sure if it was the book or the readers or both. I enjoyed the story, in a LOL way, but not in a "deeply thoughtful" way, which is often how I feel about paranormal romance.
I did think the ending was pretty interesting. I look forward to the next in the series. I am pleased that Vlad hasn't caved (vocally) on the "love" issue yet.

message 40: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't own Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry. I'm onthe waiting list for Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore. I read Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth. It was excellent! I would love to read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I think we would have plenty to discuss.

message 41: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't think this book had much to discuss. I just finished it. I didn't like how it ended...there was too much open.

Was there a point to having Leila's father and sister there? That seemed almost unnecessary, unless something happens with them in the next book.

I'll read almost anything, even if it's not on my list :)

message 42: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

The only reason I can think of is to have them safe from the puppet master. It also brought Leila some closure to the guilt she felt over her mother's death and her father's rejection.

message 43: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will read whatever is chosen.

message 44: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eh, let's do The Fault in Our Stars. I have a friend staying with me all of next week, so it will be helpful to have already read the book. Although I fully intend to reread. It's amazing.

message 45: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

When do we want to start?

message 46: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

That one... Sheri can decide. lol. She's a planner.

message 47: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok. How is school going for you?

message 48: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's exhausting. I am the idiot who scheduled three vet appointments, a dentist appointment, a trip to Chicago, a trip to Indianapolis, and a friend in the spare bedroom for the first two weeks of class. I am teaching a full load, taking a 650 class for "fun" because I liked the topic, taking 6 credits worth of research, and working 20 hours a week at the library.
And then I assigned an essay for the first week of class. So now I have 122 essays to grade. Maybe some more students will drop. :)

message 49: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds like fun :)

How about we start either Sunday or Monday? It looks like there are 25 chapters, so how about five a day...that looks to be about 65 pages...too much? Not enough?

message 50: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I vote for starting on Monday.
I think 5 a day is fine. It will be hard for people to stick to. I shouldn't complain though, since I wrecked the last one. I won't read ahead anymore. Promise! :D

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pushing the Limits (other topics)
Graceling (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)
The Fault in Our Stars (other topics)
More...