Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > What Cozy Mystery are you currently reading? (Archive)

Comments (showing 51-100 of 7,690) (7690 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Carol (new)

Carol | 23 comments I'm a librarian, too - a FORMER librarian anyway, now an indexer. I'm blessed with a wonderful local library system that carries most of the authors I like, but I also acquire lots of mainly used books. I use used-book sites like Amazon, Half.com and Alibris as well as price-comparison sites like Bestbookbuys.com. I'm also a big fan of Bookins.com, a book-trading site. Do I sound like someone with way too many books?! My family would definitely agree with that. I say there's no such thing.

The cozy I'm currently reading: Never Say Sty A Kendra Ballantype, Pet-Sitter Mystery by Linda O. Johnston.

message 52: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (AndreaG) | 3 comments I've had good luck at Powell's finding used books that I couldn't find elsewhere new or used.

They let you set up not only a wish list, but a notification list so that when a title comes in stock, you get an email that it's available.

I got several out of print Kate Kingsbury books that way.

message 53: by Carol (new)

Carol (Leora) | 3 comments I am lucky. I have a great independent bookstore near me. They sell new and used books. They have great author events. There is a common area for food. Wonderful place to spend a rainy day.

message 54: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (SherylHJ) I'm reading "Murder...Suicide...Whatever..." by Gwen Freeman. I'm not familiar with the author. The cover reads that it's a fusion of Janet Evanovich and Agatha Christie. I can't wait to get started.

message 55: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments I just picked up Madelyn Alt's first book in her series of bewitching mysteries called The Trouble With Magic. It's about a woman in her late 20s who ends up working at a shop run by a witch. So far I am only on Ch. 6 but I am finding it hard to put down. Very delightful and well written and it really grasped by attention from the get go. This may win out over the Aunt Dimity books for me!

message 56: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments Shannon wrote: "Thanks Amy:

My library is very good about bringing things in for me - I was just very surprised that they didn't have ANY of the authors I was looking for. I have actually had them acquire book..."

Shannon wrote: "Well, I am sad, I took my list of new (to me) cozy mystery authors to our library excited to expand my reading horizons and to my horror none of them were carried by my library.

Just so you kno..."

Shannon:

That is really sad that they had none of the books you were looking for at your library. Unfortunately, I got a rather curt response from a cozy mystery author not too long ago when I complimented her on how many people were on the waiting list to read her book at our library. She indicated that after having published her last book, even though it was very popular, the sales were down and there was question as to whether the series would continue. This was in large part to people borrowing from the library, buying used from ebay, amazon and the like, and no money going to the author or the publisher for the books. She said that these venues for borrowing and buying books really hurt the book industry and if it keeps up there will most likley be many series that stop altogether because publishing simply isn't economical anymore and there is then no incentive for authors to continue with their series. After that conversation, I try very hard to put my pennies away and buy the books. Mind you, I don't do hardcover, they are much to expensive, so I simply bite the bullet and wait for them to come out in soft cover if necessary.

message 57: by Amy (new)

Amy | 14 comments Violet wrote: "I just picked up Madelyn Alt's first book in her series of bewitching mysteries called The Trouble With Magic. It's about a woman in her late 20s who ends up working at a shop run by a witch. So ..."

You can find Madelyn Alt on myspace. She is very friendly and social with her fans.

message 58: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments Amy wrote: "Violet wrote: "I just picked up Madelyn Alt's first book in her series of bewitching mysteries called The Trouble With Magic. It's about a woman in her late 20s who ends up working at a shop run b..."

Amy,

Thank you, I will check her out there!

Violet

message 59: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (SherylHJ) Violet wrote: "Amy wrote: "Violet wrote: "I just picked up Madelyn Alt's first book in her series of bewitching mysteries called The Trouble With Magic. It's about a woman in her late 20s who ends up working at ..."

That is such a fun series. Hope you enjoy it.

message 60: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) Violet wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Thanks Amy:

My library is very good about bringing things in for me - I was just very surprised that they didn't have ANY of the authors I was looking for. I have actually had t..."

Violet:

I am sorry that the author responded that way about borrowing from a library. I will often check a book out of the library (especially if it is in a series) at first to see if I like the author, if I do, then I will go and buy books by that author and considering that you can buy softcover books for about the same price as a magazine I don't feel too bad but libraries are a great resource and I hope the authors prediction is not true.

message 61: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1 comments Is Lilian Jackson Braun Cat series considered cozy? They are fun books.

message 62: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments Shannon:
I hope she is wrong too. What is very frustrating is I have authors I like, including that author, who are still putting out their first runs in hardcover. $15 for a 230 page book really isn't economical for me, so I think they should go straight to paperback. They'd get more people buying immediately rather than waiting for the hardcover at the library because the paperback won't come out for months yet. Who knows, but I feel that if someone loves to write, whether it's making them a lot of money or not, they will find a way to do it. It's something innate. I agree with you, I too peruse the library if I haven't read an author's books because I don't want to pay for it if I don't like them. Have a great weekend!

message 63: by Beth (new)

Beth | 608 comments Hi Ruth,
Yes, Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat series is smack dab in the middle of the cozy mystery genre.
- Beth

message 64: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 124 comments Shelly, (and all who wrote about authors and libraries), most authors I know - including me - love libraries. We love to see our books there and to see them checked out. We do talks and readings at libraries and enjoy meeting readers and discussing our books.

True, we don't get paid for every reader of our library copies, but we can hope it introduces our books to someone who might buy a copy of the next book.

I like the system they have in some European countries: the author gets a few pennies everytime a book of theirs is checked out of the library - not from the patron but from a fund that comes from lottery ticket sales. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. What do you think?

Mary Ellen

Shelly wrote: "Violet wrote: "Shannon:
I hope she is wrong too. What is very frustrating is I have authors I like, including that author, who are still putting out their first runs in hardcover. $15 for a 230 p..."

message 65: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments I agree with everyone about using libraries. I am notorious for overdue books, so unless I just can't get the book elsewhere, I rarely use them. That said, our library is expanding so hopefully more books will be available there. I had the same thing happen to me as Shannon, taking a nice list of books and finding none. They did manage to find me a copy in other libraries, though.

message 66: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments My current cosy read is Death of a Rug Lord by Tamar Myers. I always enjoy her books, but this one so far is almost over the top humour. Mind you, I'm enjoying that humour, one reason why I buy her books. Also enjoy her eccentric characters and this one promises to be as eccentric as the rest!

message 67: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) | 155 comments I don't use our library - the "new" shelf had books on there from several years ago and nothing "new."

The adult section was smaller than the children's room and the many conference rooms. (only 4 books of Stephen King??) When I first moved to this town, I went back to my two local hometown libraries (about 30 minutes away) to borrow books. Then, I had the problem with returning them and then gave up. I was a big library geek until about 10 years ago. Too bad our tax dollars didn't support that.

message 68: by IreneS (new)

IreneS | 2 comments Kim wrote: "I don't use our library - the "new" shelf had books on there from several years ago and nothing "new." "

Maybe you can convince your library to become part of biblio.org? I'm in Connecticut and I can check out books online from other libraries. they are delivered to my local library, and I get an email for pickup dates.

just a thought.

message 69: by IreneS (new)

IreneS | 2 comments Kim wrote: "I don't use our library - the "new" shelf had books on there from several years ago and nothing "new." "

Maybe you can convince your library to become part of biblio.org? I'm in Connecticut and I can check out books online from other libraries. they are delivered to my local library, and I get an email for pickup dates.

just a thought.

message 70: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Alycia wrote: "I'm reading Death Swatch by Laura Childs. Sadly, I'm not impressed and I won't be getting the rest of the series."

I'm sorry that you don't like "The Scrapbook Mysteries" by Laura Childs. I have read all six of her Scrapbook series, 9 of the 10 "Tea Shop Mysteries" (I really like Theodosia) and the first one of her new series "The Cackleberry Club Mysteries". I'm not really sure about The Cackleberry Club yet but I like the other two series.

I started reading cozies with Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series. Just love Annie and Max. I read every bibliomystery that I could find then started to branch off to others. Now I read almost any that I come across. I have to keep a notebook on the books I have read/want to read. Actually I am about to divide the alphabet and add a second looseleaf notebook for authors. I do have a second notebook that right now is dedicated to book sites that I find both for book suggestions and for book buying.

In case you aren't familiar with them here are 3 sites that I think are great for cozies:

www.booksnbytes.com
www.cozy-mystery.com
and
www.cozylibrary.com

message 71: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Carol wrote: "I just finished Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barrett, the second of her Booktown Mystery series. Not bad, but the main character and her sister can be mighty annoying at times.

On to M.C. Be..."

I just finished Bookmarked for Death tonight. I thought it was a good 2nd book to the series. I think that Tricia and Angelica will grow on us as the series progresses. Right now we are just getting to know them.

I agree with you about library requests all coming in at the same time. I got seven in the other day and got a call today that two more are in. I am really bad about putting in requests for 15 or 20 books at a time because I will read a book review or run across a reference to a new series (like from reading all the posts here) and I immediately put them on my library requests. I also have about a gazillion little notes with books that I want to read--it will take me many lifetimes to read all the books that I want to read with new ones coming out all the time. The shirt and coffee cup that I have that says "So Many Books So Little Time" is so so true for me.

message 72: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 124 comments I just finished "Killer Smile" by Lisa Scottolini, the first book of hers I've read. Really enjoyed it! I think it might qualify as a cozy, even though the main character is a lawyer (female). There's no violence, and it was often very funny! My husband is from Philadelphia, where it's set, and a lot of her characters from there were spot on. The story line taught me a lot about the time period during World War II that I never knew - based on her own grandparents' experiences. Very interesting. But what do you think - cozy or not?

Mary Ellen

message 73: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 70 comments The Stalking Lamb by Marian Babson

message 74: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (SherylHJ) Terri wrote: "The Stalking Lamb by Marian Babson"

I'm reading "Hey Diddle Diddle the Corpse and the Fiddle" by Fran Rizer. It's the 2nd in her series. They are really fun.

message 75: by Katie (new)

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 36 comments Mary Ellen - Thank you for your insight. I actually picked up your book, Wreath of Deception at a library book swap. I know you weren't paid because I picked it up. However, I enjoyed it and will likely purchase the other books in the series. Another win-win situation. :)

I don't frequently check books out of the library because I own so many to be read. One thing I've noticed is that cozy mysteries seem to be popular discards at library booksales. It's good for me because I can stock up at a great price, but at times it makes me sad because it means the library is limiting themselves to fewer copies or even worse, none at all.

I just realized that this post is completely off topic. Sorry!

message 76: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 124 comments Katie, I'm delighted you enjoyed Wreath of Deception after finding it at a library swap. And if it leads you toward my other books, I'm even more delighted! I can't imagine why cozy mysteries would be discarded more than any other library books. Maybe because they're just checked out so much they get worn out?

Mary Ellen

Katie wrote: "Mary Ellen - Thank you for your insight. I actually picked up your book, Wreath of Deception at a library book swap. I know you weren't paid because I picked it up. However, I enjoyed..."

message 77: by Laura (new)

Laura | 7 comments I just finished "Diva runs out of Thyme" - looking forward to the next one. I also really liked L.J. (Livia) Washburn's first book in her second series, "Frankly my dear, I'm Dead".

Has anyone read the Maggie Sefton knitting series? I started losing interest about two books ago, and wondered if it was just me.....

message 78: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookiecomcastnet) | 23 comments Sort of feel the same about the Maggie Seftn series. Just not so gripping anymore. Not sure why.

message 79: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 352 comments Hi, Im new to this group ~ Im currently reading
Chopping Spree- my next cozy mystery to read will be Murder on the Menu

message 80: by Nancy (last edited May 13, 2009 10:47PM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 140 comments Hi Melissa,
I'm new here, too. I've been working feverishly on my second cozy - it's finally off - instead of reading. Now I'm ready to kick back. I'm going to start with Laurie King's latest Mary Russell.

message 81: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments Just started "Miss Julia Delivers the Goods" by Ann B. Ross. I really enjoyed the first Miss Julia book and I think I'd like to go back and read all the others in this series. I also just started "Cemetery Dance" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child -- not a cozy by any means, but so far really good!

message 82: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 352 comments Katie wrote: "I'm listening to Strawberry Shortcake Murder on audio right now. I really liked the first book in this series and so far this one is just as enjoyable."
I have this book in my to be read stack, I really enjoyed the other books that I have read by this author!

message 83: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) I am currently reading and really enjoying Swimming with the Dead An Underwater Investigation. I will definitely be picking up more in this series. Thanks group for introducing me to her.

message 84: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 352 comments Nancy wrote: "Hi Melissa,
I'm new here, too. I've been working feverishly on my second cozy - it's finally off - instead of reading. Now I'm ready to kick back. I'm going to start with Laurie King's latest Mary..."

Ive never read this author before..what are her books about?

message 85: by Beth (new)

Beth | 608 comments I'm so glad you're enjoying Kathy Brandt's book, Shannon, and I hope you read her whole series. She's a good friend of mine, but I'd recommend her writing even if I didn't know her. She agonized over the plots to make them complex and realistic, and she is a recreational diver herself, so she knows of what she writes.

message 86: by Shannon (last edited May 15, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Shannon (sianin) Beth wrote: "I'm so glad you're enjoying Kathy Brandt's book, Shannon, and I hope you read her whole series. She's a good friend of mine, but I'd recommend her writing even if I didn't know her. She agonized ov..."

I will be tracking all of her books down. I have a friend who is a cruiser (sailor) every winter in the Caribbean and although this book didn't touch much on that, I loved the setting and could envision the lifestyle based on the photos and stories from my friend and her other sailing friends. (My sailing was limited to short winter races off the west coast of Canada so pretty bare bones (and cold) for me).

I am now starting A Real Basket Case by you know who. ;)

message 87: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps you page turning, and the characters are not all wrapped up in book one, so there is more to be developed on these individuals in her other books I'm sure. I just started A Charmed Death and it is just as good so far. Only trouble one may have with it is if you are too sensitive in your faith, there's a little bit of negative connotation toward Christianty for those easily offended, and a real pro-pagan kind of message if one reads into that sort of thing. But all in I can't wait to read the rest of them!

message 88: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Nemeroff | 4 comments Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps you page turning, and the characters are not ..."

I really enjoyed this series, Violet. I believe the next book in the series is being released in July.

Another series I enjoyed is the Ophelia and Abby Series by Shirley Damsgaard. If you haven't already read it, you might like it too.

message 89: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments Jamie wrote: "Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps you page turning, and the char..."

Thanks Jamie, I'll check those out. Have you read any of the books by Charlene Harris, her first one in the series was Dead Until Dark. They sound very interesting and have gotten good ratings, but it seems like Twilight is a twist 'rip-off' of the general idea. Dead Until Dark is centered around a woman (human) who can read minds who falls in love with a vampire, who is the only mind she can't read. I was wondering if anyone has read these,actually, and what they think. I'm worried I may be reading just another Twilight series with a twist, even though I believe these books came out first.

message 90: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5041 comments Violet wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps you page turning..."

The Sookie Stackhouse books came out way before the Twilight books and are NOTHING like them. They are one of my absolute favorite series and a must have as soon as they are released. I got the new one the day after it came out a couple of weeks ago and had it read in less than a day. If you like your mysteries coupled with the supernatural, you'll like these books.

message 91: by Andi (new)

Andi (Andi1121) | 25 comments Melodie wrote: "Violet wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps y..."

Melodie:

Thanks so much for your comment. Glad they are not similar. I loved Twilight but was a bit disappointed that she may have ripped off the Sookie Stackhouse books a little. Regardless, I loved the covers of the books (which I know is no way to judge a book! But it helps.) I put her first in the series on my to read list and hopefully will get to that soon. I had no idea how many of these cool cozy mysteries there were out there. Makes we wish I had a fireplace, a study to read in and a weekend all to myself!

message 92: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5041 comments Violet wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Violet wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed t..."

I loved Twilight, too! I'm a real Twihard according to my niece! I've always loved anything with a vampire in it, and have loved the Sookie books from the very first one back in 2001.

message 93: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Nemeroff | 4 comments Violet wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Violet wrote: "I am currently reading the the series by Madelyn Alt that currently has 4 books in it. The first is A Charmed Death. I really enjoyed this. It keeps you page turning..."

I have read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and loved everyone of them. I've also read Charlaine Harris's Harper Connelly series, there are currently 3 out there. They are about a character who was struck by lightning and is able to find dead bodies as a result. A change from the vampire series, but I liked that series too. I think Charlaine Harris is an awesome author, of course.

I haven't read any of the twilight books, so can't comment on them. A friend of mine said the first book was good, but the next one seemed too juvenile to her. Maybe that's why I haven't tried them. I also have too many other books that I want to read.

Sometimes I can't decide which book to read next. Anyone else ever have that same issue? So Many books, Too Little Time!

message 94: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) I had to put a real basket case down for a bit because of some other obligations but started it for real yesterday and have to say that I am already on page 157! It sure starts with a bang and if it continues to be as good as it has been so far I will be picking up others from the series. Now back to work so that I can read some more later.

message 95: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Latte Trouble, a Coffeehouse Mystery by Cleo Coyle.

message 96: by Carol (new)

Carol (Dulcinea54935) | 29 comments Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse mysteries make me wish I enjoyed and appreciated coffee more.

I just finished "Her Royal Spyness", the first one in the series and the first one I have read by Rhys Bowen. I will definitely continue with the series.

message 97: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments Cleo Coyle's books sound yummy. I love coffee & lattes.

message 98: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 70 comments I am not much of a coffee person, but I like her books.

message 99: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 140 comments I have a "Mysterious Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I was going to put in "Backyard Bones", the second book in my cozy Regan McHenry Series, but, even though Melissa thought I should do it, I decided to put on my website hhtp://www.GoodReadMysteries.com instead. It makes great dunk-in-your-coffee cookies because the chocolate is intensified by the mystery ingredient(not good in tea). The recipe is free. Please let me know what you think.

message 100: by Chris (new)

Chris (csmom42) | 4 comments I am reading The Body in the Moonlight by Katherine Hall Page. I just love her books. The charactors are so enjoyable and I love all the history about the people and the town.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Ex (other topics)
Ultraviolet (other topics)
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (other topics)
Crocodile on the Sandbank (other topics)
Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Peters (other topics)
Kate Kingsbury (other topics)
Diane Mott Davidson (other topics)
Deborah Woodworth (other topics)
Mary Daheim (other topics)
More...