Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Tana French
This topic is about Tana French
Authors/Books/Series > Tana French

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:27PM) (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments I've just read the latest by Tana French - Broken Harbour - and absolutely loved it. Would love to hear what others think about her books, and which one is your favourite? I'm finding it difficult to make a choice, but maybe The Likeness is the one I loved most - hard to say though, they were all different and all good.

If you haven't read any of hers yet, they are really worth having a look at:
In The Woods
The Likeness
Faithful Place
Broken Harbour

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 2546 comments Mod
Thanks Heidi, they are now all on my TBR list O.o!! I haven't read any of hers but have looked at the last one before...it's good to have some really positive feedback:)

message 3: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments I haven't read any her books either Heidi but I'd like to read In The Woods. Hopefully soon :)

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments Let me know what you think, Mish. Enjoy :)

message 5: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Yes will do Heidi :)

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 9 comments Heidi wrote: "I've just read the latest by Tana French - Broken Harbour - and absolutely loved it. Would love to hear what others think about her books, and which one is your favourite? I'm finding it difficult ..."

Heidi,

I have read them all except Broken Harbor which I look forward to. I have really enjoyed them - they just take over while you are reading them, and the characters are really well done. Toss up for me between the first two!

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Aug 20, 2012 02:34AM) (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments What did you think about Faithful Place, Cathy? It was so different from the first two. At first I didn't think I would like it, but then it really grew on me and I couldn't put it down. I felt as if it really stood in a category of its own, very different to her other three.

message 8: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I'm thoroughly enjoying my first ever book of Tana's... In the Woods

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments That's great, Brenda - you will be addicted now, better go and get all her other books :)

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 9 comments Heidi wrote: "What did you think about Faithful Place, Cathy? It was so different from the first two. At first I didn't think I would like it, but then it really grew on me and I couldn't put it down. I felt as ..."

Heidi, i probably didn't like it as much as the others - I thought there was a little while where it dragged a bit, but the premise and resolution were great. What she's amazing about is the intensity of the personalities and relationships, and this one was almost suffocatingly close!!! Makes it very nerve-wracking. her writing just makes them a cut above many thrillers.

message 11: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Heidi wrote: "That's great, Brenda - you will be addicted now, better go and get all her other books :)"

I've checked them out, and they all sound good! So I'll be reserving them from my library:)

message 12: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Now that I've finished In the Woods, I'm more interested in the next three. But I was disappointed on reading the blurbs to see that the second one is about Cassie (no mention of Rob) and the third and fourth don't mention Cassie (or Rob) at all?? I thought they were/are a series....Heidi, I know you've read them all...what do you think?

message 13: by Heidi (last edited Nov 02, 2012 05:27AM) (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments In each of the books one character from previous books is the main protagonist. Cassie Maddox, Frank Mackey and Scorcher Kennedy. In The Likeness some moments even match up with In the Woods, when Cassie speaks to Rob on the phone. But Rob never appears again in any of the other books - which I found a bit sad, since I really really wanted to find out what happened to him.So it's not really a series as such, but features different detectives from the Dublin murder squad. However, I really liked how some minor character from one book is the main protagonist in another, and we find out more about them. It felt a bit like meeting an old acquaintance again. I just hope that Rob will be back one day in a future book .....

message 14: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Oh ok Heidi, thanks for that:) I'll try the second one out sometime soon...

message 15: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I just picked up The Likeness from my library tonight. Oh my goodness...I didn't realize it was SO long!!! 553 pages O_O!!!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 9 comments Brenda wrote: "I just picked up The Likeness from my library tonight. Oh my goodness...I didn't realize it was SO long!!! 553 pages O_O!!!"

Wait until you get into it - you'll whiz through it!!

message 17: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I hope so Cathy! Very daunting...haha!!

message 18: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I have just started The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French :)

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Brenda wrote: "I have just started The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French :)"

I hope you enjoy it Brenda. My favourite in this series so far has been Faithful Place. I have Broken Harbor on my desk to read once I finish my last book for the Aussie Authors challenge.

message 20: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

It's good so far Sharon...I'm not quite 100 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. I'll have to get the next one after I'm finished, if that's your favourite:)

message 21: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I have just finished The Likeness and loved it! It was epic, it was long, but it was brilliant!

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 50 comments Brenda wrote: "I have just finished The Likeness and loved it! It was epic, it was long, but it was brilliant!"

That's good to know Brenda. I've been tossing up whether to buy her books as I really enjoyed In the Woods. I've had them on my wishlist at The Book Depository but just couldn't take the plunge. It sounds like they get better though. I might wait till you read the third one and then decide. Will you put up a review?

message 23: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I most definitely will Elaine:) Give me a couple of days to process though:)

It was really enjoyable...

message 24: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 50 comments Of course Brenda. Will look forward to reading it.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 40 comments I just loved how Cassie impersonated the murder victim - it was such a nail biter! Putting myself in her spot I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, afraid she would get found out. One of the most imaginative murder / mystery plots I have ever read. I see you gave it 5 stars, too, Brenda - glad you enjoyed it!

message 26: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

It was brilliant Heidi! And I agree with you, it certainly was gripping:)

message 27: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

message 28: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I have just picked up Faithful Place so I'll be getting stuck into it before too much longer:)

message 29: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I finished Tana French's latest last night - The Secret Place - I'm afraid I was less than impressed. I'll put up my review closer to publication, but it's very long-winded and nothing like her previous ones that I've read.

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 238 comments Brenda wrote: "I finished Tana French's latest last night - The Secret Place - I'm afraid I was less than impressed. I'll put up my review closer to publication, but it's very long..."

Ohhhhhhh...

message 31: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

But her first were great Vicki! This one is extremely different to them...

message 32: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I gave her first two 5 stars, and haven't read #3 or #4 yet. But I was very excited to get #5.....

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 238 comments I'll keep that in mind. :)

I'm guessing #5 didn't live up to the hype? Or was it the blurb?

message 34: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I pretty much requested it BECAUSE it was Tana French... I imagined it would be as good, if not better than the two I'd read already! I hadn't read the hype, and only flicked through the blurb, so to say I was disappointed is an understatement.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 238 comments :(

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Broken Harbour (other topics)
The Likeness (other topics)
In the Woods (other topics)
Faithful Place (other topics)
The Likeness (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic