The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Little Girl in Trouble

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (last edited Aug 15, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Timothy Frederick (ttfii) | 3 comments Hello, I'm looking for some books that feature a female protagonist between the ages of 10 and 13. I'm currently writing a story that features a twelve year old girl who is on the run.

I'm asking for recommendations because I have no idea how to write from the perspective of a twelve year old girl and need some inspiration. The more trouble she is in, the better. I'll settle for some books that are marketed toward teens but I am mainly looking for books that contain very serious, grotesque, or devastatingly tragic subject matter.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 218 comments Any of the Flavia de Luce series might be helpful. Although she is very precocious she's still a a young girl. The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. They're by Alan Bradley. Hope this helps ---

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8910 comments Mod
Maybe give Stephen King's THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON a spin? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Frederick (ttfii) | 3 comments I'll try them out. Thanks to both of you.

message 5: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Sarubbi (LaBajista) | 5 comments Perhaps The Little Friend by Donna Tartt might fit your description?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...

message 6: by Joel (new)

Joel Dennstedt (joeldennstedtymailcom) | 62 comments Lori wrote: "Maybe give Stephen King's THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON a spin? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11..."

That's the one I was going to recommend. That is also my favorite Stephen King novel. A perfect little gem that not everyone knows about. Good job Lori!

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 258 comments Not sure if all these would work but here are some suggestions. Alias Grace. Atwood
Bastard out of Carolina.
Bonjour tristesse.
Eden Close. Shreve
The glass Castle
She's come undone. Wally Lamb
White Oleander.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 12 comments The moment I read your question I thought of Flavia de Luce. That girl's cool!
Or you could try Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson

message 9: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Frederick (ttfii) | 3 comments Thanks everyone. I have a lot of reading to do!

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 590 comments how old was the girl in Bridge to Terabithia?

they are also a bit older, but quite a few books by Judy Blume had younger female protagonists, and for me, they have stood the test of time

message 11: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) I read a couple Aiken Joan books recently. She did a series starting with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase featuring two young girls. They books are about 50 years old now but good.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bridge to Terabithia (other topics)
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joan Aiken (other topics)