The Night Circus The Night Circus discussion

The Night Circus

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kierra Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?

Dani I absolutely loved it...what didn't you like? The imagery won me over for sure.

Aamrah I liked it until the end, which was so vague and annoying I wanted to smack someone. I did like the concept though, and overall, it was a good book. Except the end.

Kierra well, first of all, they said in the summary that they would fight and they did NOT fight at all. And I pretty much could go on and on but I have to go.

Marilyn This is a difficult book to read, because the story line drifts off around page 200.

Kathleen Jones Kierra wrote: "Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?"
No - I disliked it too. I thought it was let down by the hype and felt sorry for the first-time author because it will put people off her next book.

message 7: by Cathryn (last edited Aug 20, 2012 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathryn Ferrara Wow I really loved Night Circus, I was a bit put off by the end but still loved it. I felt it was beautifully written and I thought the story and the contest were fascinating. I think the character development was some of the best I've ever read.

I'm sorry to hear anyone didn't like it but I always feel like the world would be very boring if we all liked the same things.

Did it just not meet your expectations or did you really not enjoy the writing?

I am afraid it got too much hype, I read it before it was published so had no expectations and I often don't like books when all I hear is how it is the greatest thing ever.

Vicki I liked the book and gave it 5 stars as well. It was different than anything I've ever read. I wasn't sure if the characters really had "special powers" are not. I wanted to think so. Since you liked this book you might try the author Carolyn Turgeon. I read her book, Godmother, the Secret Cinderella Story. I enjoyed her style of writing and, the character is interesting right to the end.

Jayne I liked the book. I didn't hear any hype about it but I could see from the blurb that it wouldn't be a book for everyone.

Sage (the Dalek) I was expecting a sort of duel... and the rules were so confusing... but it was so beautiful and different, i loved it.

Kierra I did like her style of writing and the very ending but that is about all i liked about it

Dionne You might all be interested in a new book club I'm hosting. Club Fantasci (it's on Goodreads) the first book we're discussing this Friday night is The Night Circus.

Christine I loved the characters, and it was beautifully written, but also dissapointed at it's ending. Expecting Vampires (no shadow, living forever..).

message 14: by Dionne (last edited Sep 06, 2012 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dionne I thought the book did not live up to the hype. The characters were likable but I didn't love any of them. The editing wasn't up to scratch - I found myself having to re-read things that were unintentionally ambiguous. To me, the circus was more important than the characters, and while the setting and atmosphere was very well done, I got sick of descriptions of tents at the expense of the pacing of the story and character depth. I reviewed it and gave it 3 stars. It fell way short for me and the shame is, it could have been worked on and made so much better because the premise was original.

Suzanna Edwards How could anyone not love this book, Erin's writing had me lost in a world of magic and love. I have recommended to anyone who'll listen.

message 16: by Tonya (last edited Sep 08, 2012 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tonya I loved this book for me it was very original. I was hooked from the very beginning. I read through it very quickly. The only reason I read it because there was an ad for it the newsletter that my library has. I had never herd of it before.

Veronica Suzanna wrote: "How could anyone not love this book, Erin's writing had me lost in a world of magic and love. I have recommended to anyone who'll listen."

i agree.

Kierra I understand perfectly why people would enjoy this book. I am probably just being picky. I loved the concept of the book and the characters but, I just didn't think the romance in it was very good( in my opinion I think it needed a little more depth to it) and I didn't understand how they were fighting in the battle. Don't be offended if I say I hated a book and you loved it! Everyone has a right to an opinion and this one is just mine. So, please don't take it the wrong way!

Dionne Rose wrote: "I understand perfectly why people would enjoy this book. I am probably just being picky. I loved the concept of the book and the characters but, I just didn't think the romance in it was very good(..."

A lot of people agree with you Rose, so don't worry :)

☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes I thought the descriptions were magical. All of my senses came alive while reading the book and that has never happened before. I could see the circus, smell the different fragrances, feel the weight of the circus, taste the drinks sold at the circus, and hear the clock chiming as it opened and closed the circus for the day. Lovely book.

Caroline Rose wrote: "I understand perfectly why people would enjoy this book. I am probably just being picky. I loved the concept of the book and the characters but, I just didn't think the romance in it was very good(..."

I loved the imagery and most of the storyline, but I agree with you that the romance was not good. I don't like romance that you can see from page one (unless the characters are already in a relationship). Celia and Marco barely knew each other at all, and yet they were willing to sacrifice everything to be together. Which I found very dull and boring and unrealistic.
I was also waiting for a big plot moment at the end which would blow my mind, and explain how they both survived (or even better, one of them would die), but we never got that.

message 22: by Val (last edited Oct 29, 2012 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val Walton I thought the descriptions were magical too. I think the weakness was in the fact that the competition was too open- all they had to do was outlive each other. The previous competition was won only because Tsukiko's competitor died to let her win. So that makes the romance between Carlo and Celia, at least, a little more practical. Maybe romantic at the end but I agree it was hardly riveting romance. Maybe they weren't sacrificing everything to be together. Maybe they were just tired running the circus. Or maybe we've got used to books where love is shown with all the trimmings and a gentle quiet love doesn't seem real.

message 23: by Cheyenne (last edited Oct 29, 2012 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheyenne I've recently gotten into audiobooks and I'm realizing that a lot of books are better when they are are being read to you. I listened to the Night Circus and I think that made me like it a lot more than I would have had I read it. It was actually read by the guy that did the HP books so he had the cool British accent and did the different character voices really well. The love story was meh and I really only liked Celia and the twins. I think it was the descriptions of the circus that won me over. I totally wanted to walk around it in real life and check out the tents. It also kinda reminded me of the feel of Edward Scissorhands, which was my favorite movie for a long time.

Penny Rose wrote: "Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?"

Well we can't all like the same things Rose, but I must say I did enjoy it, the imagery and imagination had me hooked. But as someone lse said the ending was very disappointing!

Dianee Dalama i loved the night circus i felt like the the book was beautifully writen. i even cry when they were having tara burgess's funeral and her sister lainie gave her speech. And i thought that the most beautiful scene in the book was in the end when every one had lift the funeral, exsipt for the snow white angel hovering over the fresh grave of tara burgess holding a singal black rose, she stands still in the increasing rain while the feathers from her wings fall to the ground.

Alanna I missed all the hype for this book, so I went in to reading this one without any sort of expectation at all. Honestly, it was the cover that really drew me in and the synopsis on the back. I adored this one.

And while the duel between Celia and Marco may not have been physical or obvious or as violent as you might have been expecting, they did go back and forth taking their respective turns in the duel that they are bound to. It's all magic. From the clock, to the creation of new tents, the carousel ...

The duel wasn't about who was better, or who was going to kill the other. It came down to who had the ENDURANCE to survive after the loss of the other. Marco and Celia were put in a position in which one would be forced to kill the other. The real test was to see who had the strength to do it, and live with it after the fact. This is why the ending of the book is a little ... strange. Celia way a found to take both her and Marco OUT of the duel, and pass the circus on to Widget and Poppet. Unable to bear the thought of being without each other, they're now tied to the circus forever.

Alanna Dianee wrote: "i loved the night circus i felt like the the book was beautifully writen. i even cry when they were having tara burgess's funeral and her sister lainie gave her speech. And i thought that the most ..."

I loved that scene too! And the other one where the Reveur holds a red rose for her in her hand at the Circus, and she slowly bends down to take it from her and smell it. It was such a lovely scene. Honestly, I felt like I was there!

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Whitehead Kierra wrote: "I understand perfectly why people would enjoy this book. I am probably just being picky. I loved the concept of the book and the characters but, I just didn't think the romance in it was very good(..."

I too hated it Kierra. I became so bored, I thought I'd expire. While it may be my lowbrow taste, I just could not get into or behind the characters and it was slow for me and just not engaging. I agree with whoever said it's good we don't all love the same things.

message 29: by Gerd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gerd Kierra wrote: "Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?"

It's probably just you being picky. :D

Personally I enjoyed it a lot.
I really loved her characters, well, Celia's father not so much, but I don't think we were meant to, and completely fell in love with her writing style. As romances go I'd say "The night circus" is way on top - as the marketing goes ... uhm, that's another matter. Personally, I would get hold of the person responsible for the "fierce competition" remark and get him fired on the spot.
Maybe even have him court-martialed for being criminally misleading. :D

message 30: by Gerd (last edited Dec 24, 2012 02:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gerd Aamrah wrote: "I liked it until the end, which was so vague and annoying I wanted to smack someone. I did like the concept though, and overall, it was a good book. Except the end."

Actually, I felt that she did a great job building up to the logical conclusion of the story - what I didn't enjoy (though not enough to subtract stars) were the final chapters, I didn’t enjoy how she closed the second person frame because it takes from the overall atmosphere she had build up to that point and I enjoyed the whole conversation between Widget and the man in gray even less because I felt that I was getting spoon-fed the whole tale over in case I slept through the last five-hundred pages and only woke up for the end credits. :/

Natalie I agree that the summary made the book seem completely different than it actually was. the summary flat out lied. haha.
that being said, I LOVED this book.

Jonette I didn't like the book either. I loved the imagery of the writing, and the concept of the story, and because I listened to the audiobook, I really enjoyed the narration of Jim Dale, but all of those things did not gel for me into a cohesive story.

Analise I liked this book but I can see why some people don't like it. It jumps around a lot and the story line changes but I like the kind of books that confuse the heck out of me. Keeps me on my toes but that's just my opinion.

Jovani I agree! I feel like they got lazy towards the end. It definitely could have been better.

Jovani I wouldn't say I hated it, but it was NOT what I thought it would be.

Martha I would say the book was OK. I was expecting so much better. It was a bit confusing because it jumped for one time to another, you really had to pay attention to the dates on each chapter. I would never read it again.

Jennifer Weiss For going into this book not knowing what to expect I was kinda mad towards the end. The imagery was a HUGE plus for me. I'm a sucker for books that can do that but, for the simple fact the way the book ended disappointed me.

Nels_cee if they make a movie of this book it will destroy the imagination of the readers because i think they wouldn't be able to express whats in the book properly.

Jennifer Weiss I mean they made Harry Potter come to life visually for me but the storyline still wasn't the same. I feel like books give you the sense of imagination because everyone is going to have a different vision.

Jacquelyn Kierra wrote: "Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?"

I have to say that I enjoyed reading the book the second time. The first time I found it to be tedious to read. I found that the plot dragged on. It wasn't until I read it the second time and started to analyse the book that I saw the amazing value and insight the book held. It is now one of my favorite books.

Amanda Kierra wrote: "Am I the only one that HATED the night circus or is that just me being picky?"

NO. You're not the only one. lol

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved it

message 43: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Testa LOVED IT!!!!!!!

Abigail Kierra wrote: "I understand perfectly why people would enjoy this book. I am probably just being picky. I loved the concept of the book and the characters but, I just didn't think the romance in it was very good(..."

Well it wasn't so much romance as it was the need for each other. They had been bonded together since they were children. Also, it wasn't a fight or a battle. It was a competition, one of endurance. I think that if I had gone in with those expectations I wouldn't have liked it either. Thank you for your opinion. I like hearing both sides.

message 45: by Maan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maan Penaflor I was expecting that they Marco and Celia would have some sort of a showdown. Like a duel. Some parts were too boring too. But I still liked it.

Kierra So many opinions! This thread really does open my eyes to how many different opinions there can be!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Circus (other topics)