Horror Aficionados discussion

Gillian Flynn
This topic is about Gillian Flynn
Authors > Gillian Flynn

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments People of Horror Aficionados...
What do you think of Gillian Flynn's books. I have recently finished Gone Girl and Dark Places, and I am torn. Are they thriller or horror. I love them, and want them to suggest them to read for this book club, but if they're not scary enough...I don't want to recommend something that will disappoint people...yes I know I'm a chronic people pleaser :P Just tell me what you think of them...horror/thriller/good/bad...etc..

message 2: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1559 comments I enjoyed Gone Girl but it struck me as more of a dark comedy. Good book, but not quite horror.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 2131 comments Every one of Fylnn's have been great Gone Girl maybe the weakest.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 2131 comments 11811 wrote: "I enjoyed Gone Girl but it struck me as more of a dark comedy. Good book, but not quite horror."

If you want dark read
Sharp Objects

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments Dana, I'm going to change the title of this thread to Gillian Flynn and put it in the Author folder so people can gather there and discuss her. Over time it will get buried in the General folder and die.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments I would go with Thriller

message 7: by jennbunny (new)

jennbunny Byrkit | 2131 comments All of her books have holds at the library.

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Tressa wrote: "Dana, I'm going to change the title of this thread to Gillian Flynn and put it in the Author folder so people can gather there and discuss her. Over time it will get buried in the General folder an..."

Ok :)

message 9: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9458 comments I've read all three and loved each of them. She does dark fiction extremely well.

message 10: by Vince (new)

Vince (vince_fahey) | 44 comments I'm a bit over halfway on Gone Girl. It's the first I've read by her. I wasn't sure I was going to like it in the beginning but by 30% in, I was hooked and am enjoying it. I'll have to try her other books after this one...

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I would classify this as mystery/thriller. I just finished Sharp Objects last night and LOVED IT!!!!

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Sharp Objects was my favorite one...followed by Gone Girl tied with Dark Objects.

message 13: by Carl (new)

Carl Alves (carlalves) | 68 comments I haven't had the chance to read any of Gillian's novels, but I got a chance to meet her at the WHC in Long Island and found her to be a super nice person.
Carl Alves

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments :o!!!! I want to meet her!!!!

message 15: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 232 comments I meet her last October. She's writing the screenplay for Gone Girl.

Upon meeting her I would not have pegged her for writing this psychological thriller, a horror as they are pretty much both stuck to each other.

It was a pleasure all the same to meet her!

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments I'm so jealous!!! Yeah, Reese Witherspoon is directing that isn't she?

message 17: by Tressa (last edited Feb 28, 2013 06:03AM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments I could so imagine Kathleen Turner playing the wife in Gone Girl, if this were the '80s.

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Omg yeah!!!! Who would play the husband?

message 19: by Tressa (last edited Feb 28, 2013 06:24AM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments Is Reese playing the wife? (view spoiler) Anybody see her as Tracy Flick in Election? She was great.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments These days I picture someone in the vein of Steve Carrell. Or someone who looks innocuous.

message 21: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 232 comments Reese Witherspoon bought the rights. She feels she would be a great Amy!

For some reason the part of Nick I can't remember...

She signed the novel with the inscription "Happy (dark) reading!". I had to break it to her I already read it and she said "but it looks so new!".

Yeah, I'm funky about my hardcovers.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments Ha! It is difficult to break in a new hardcover. It's not so bad if you bought it used, but new? No way. I have a used 1st ed. Stephen King The Stand with the original cover on it and I'm afraid to pick it up lest it get damaged in any tiny way.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments Oh, I pictured Nick as a tall, thin, dark-haired nondescript kind of guy. That way you could (view spoiler).

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments I hid my comments about the characters of GG because I think they should be surprises to those who haven't read it.

message 25: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 232 comments I hear ya on all counts! I bought it at a discount. You know, there are times you know you'll want it as a keeper, which this was one of them.

New or used, acquiring a 1st edition makes it all the more special so I can appreciate your not wanting to get it damaged. There are a few I will be needing to locate used 1st editions of.

I believe Reese Witherspoon is directing for sure.

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Oooo yeah. A non descript guy would be perfect. Cause he is supposed o be a no name, anyways. I can't imagine bubbly Reese being Amy, though. Kathleen Turner has both sides *le sigh* wish she was younger to play this role.

message 27: by Cathie (last edited Feb 28, 2013 08:46AM) (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 232 comments I feel the same way too. Although I saw her in a movie years before her stardom where she played a teenage delinquent.

I like Kathleen Turner...maybe she could play the mom if they expanded that role in the movie. I mean Amy had to get her psychosis from somewhere!

message 28: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments She does have a mom in the book I'm pretty sure :)

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23545 comments Dana, bubbly can hide a lot of nastiness. Watch this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXynyy...

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Ok :) ill watch in after school :) I'm on my plan time and you tu

message 31: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments *be is blocked

message 32: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 232 comments I forgot about that one; these are her earlier works so it'll be interesting...

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaschipporeit) | 278 comments Omg!! Election! I love that movie. She is kinda twisted in that movie. I'm fact that movie was shot and about the town I work in right now!! It was shot in one of the area high schools here!!!

message 34: by Dan's (last edited Feb 28, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

Dan's Obsessions | 27 comments Wooah What can I say I am amazed as well!!

whaterver is that M Brodderick is going to be part of, seemslike it has a spark of this unconventional script that makes him shine in his own special way!
Though it's been quite a time since I first watched that film, I can tell U that from "Fullers day off" till "addicted to Love" I love all the films he took part in.

Btw what do the rest of U think here.. If for some reason the elections were "put off" would there be any students complaining, cause in my elementary school they simply served as a distraction from our daily routine nothing more, nothing less..

side-note: I can only recall one ocassion when all the schools were united, on a prolonged "strike frmo lessons" that out dully appointed president showed some fight, and disrespect for authority that was ofcourse short-lived.. Com'on people I really wanna hear yr take on this..

message 35: by James (new)

James | 126 comments Flynn is my new favorite author. She is so damn good it makes me green with envy.

While I've loved all her books, my favorite so far was her debut. IMO, SHARP OBJECTS was the best debut novel of the last 10 or 15 years. It just blew me away; when I finished it, I immediately started all over and read it again.

message 36: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 13206 comments Mod
SHARP OBJECTS floored me!

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 38 comments Someone above referred to Flynn's books as "dark fiction." I think that's an accurate description. Not horror, but definitely thriller/mystery. Personally, I'm a fan! I've enjoyed all three of her books and look forward to more.

message 38: by Char (new)

Char | 12490 comments Mod
I keep hearing that about her. I guess I'm going to have to read Sharp Objects. *sigh*

message 39: by Jon Recluse (new)

Charlene wrote: "I keep hearing that about her. I guess I'm going to have to read Sharp Objects. *sigh*"

You must!

Remember, Glen was so sure I'ed love it, he mailed me his copy!

message 40: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (Kasia_S) | 2766 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I keep hearing that about her. I guess I'm going to have to read Sharp Objects. *sigh*"

You must!

Remember, Glen was so sure I'ed love it, he mailed me his copy!"

I got mine in January when I was super sick and had to go home and was killing time in Penn Books, so I picked up Sharp Objects :) cant wait to read it.

message 41: by Char (new)

I do remember, Jon. I thought that was super cool of him.

message 42: by Jon Recluse (new)

Kasia wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I keep hearing that about her. I guess I'm going to have to read Sharp Objects. *sigh*"

You must!

Remember, Glen was so sure I'ed love it, he mailed me his co..."

You're gonna love it! :)

message 43: by Jon Recluse (new)

Charlene wrote: "I do remember, Jon. I thought that was super cool of him."

Yes, it was!

Glen is a class act.

message 44: by James (new)

James | 126 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Remember, Glen was so sure I'd love it, he mailed me his copy!"

Every time I see a copy in those great old used book stores, I pick it up. I do the same thing with BOY'S LIFE. I love turning folks onto books I love. I gave a buddy at work a copy of SHARP OBJECTS just last week, as a matter of fact.

message 45: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 8 comments Sharp Objects was amazing. Dark Places and Gone Girl are near the top of my to-read list.

message 46: by James (new)

James | 126 comments I liked DARK PLACES, but not as much as SHARP OBJECTS. GONE GIRL came very, very close . . . when I first read the synopsis, I was a little less excited about Flynn releasing a new book than I'd been before because I didn't think the story sounded like anything that would interest me a whole lot.

Then I read it. And I was blown away.

As with SHARP OBJECTS, I finished GONE GIRL and then immediately started it all over again, reading it to my wife (yeah, we're nerdy like that). Such a fantastic thriller, full of twists and turns that will keep you enthralled till the very end.

I still think SHARP OBJECTS is my *favorite*, but GONE GIRL is just as good.

message 47: by Jon Recluse (new)

James wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Remember, Glen was so sure I'd love it, he mailed me his copy!"

Every time I see a copy in those great old used book stores, I pick it up. I do the same thing with BOY'S LIFE...."

It's such a great thing to do. Paying it forward.

message 48: by Char (new)

That is a great thing. Reading to your wife sounds really nice, James. It's not geeky at all. :)

message 49: by Jon Recluse (new)

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

I read to my dog. ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sharp Objects (other topics)
Dark Places (other topics)
Gone Girl (other topics)