Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Listopia lists -- annotating book deletions?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jain (last edited Aug 10, 2012 09:47AM) (new)

Jain | 6 comments I just deleted a couple of Frantz Fanon books from the African Fiction list. (The books in question are nonfiction, and Fanon was of Caribbean rather than African origin.) The fact that the deletions took place is shown in the list's Librarian change log, but is there someplace that I ought to leave a note describing the changes I made?

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5135 comments Are you planning to remove books by Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond and Doris Lessing from that list? Neither of them are African born.

message 3: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2764 comments At the bottom of the list there is a comment box. You can post a comment indicating what was deleted and why.

message 4: by Jain (last edited Aug 10, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Jain | 6 comments Banjomike wrote: "Are you planning to remove books by Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond and Doris Lessing from that list? Neither of them are African born."

I'm definitely not planning on removing Doris Lessing's books from the list. Although she was born in Persia, her family moved to Rhodesia when she was very young (five years old, I believe?). While I think this is a distinction that reasonable people can argue, personally I'd say that "authors of African origin" is a broader category than "African born" authors and that the former category should include authors whose formative years were lived in Africa. (Contrast with Fanon, who was born in Martinique and didn't immigrate to Algeria until he was in his twenties.) In any case, it's an ambiguous enough situation that I wouldn't feel comfortable ruling against Lessing's inclusion on the list.

Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond I know nothing about (other than the mini-bio on her Goodreads profile, which indicates she spent some years as a child in Ghana, but doesn't specify when and how long she lived there), and I'm not able to open her website on my computer for some reason, so I'll leave the treatment of her book to others with greater knowledge of the author.

message 5: by Jain (new)

Jain | 6 comments vicki_girl wrote: "At the bottom of the list there is a comment box. You can post a comment indicating what was deleted and why."

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette to do that; I'll go post a comment to the list now.

unread topics | mark unread