Teen Bookclub ☮♥ discussion

Books ♥ > City of Bones vs Divergent vs Delirium vs Harry Potter :)

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (new)

Diana ❀ ☺ | 1341 comments Mod
I know this is a wierd combination but I just took my 4 favorite books :) which one is your fav??

My top favorite is City of bones <3

message 2: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) Harry Potter. hands down :D

message 3: by Lema (new)

Lema  | 252 comments well i didn't read Divergent and Delirium. I saw the Harry Potter movis,but i didn't read it..And the only book i read from all four is City of Bones...so im going to pick City of Bones...

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 20 comments I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notice the similarities between Harry Potter + City of Bones being a fan of Harry Potter myself.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

For me, it's either Harry Potter or Divergent.

message 6: by Lema (new)

Lema  | 252 comments ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notice the similarities between Harry Potter + City of Bones being..."

Huh? what are you talking about, what similarities are there?

message 7: by Simms, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. (new)

Simms Molly (SimmsMolly) | 2182 comments Mod
HARRY POTTER!! No contest!! xD

message 8: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (last edited Aug 26, 2012 11:12PM) (new)

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 20 comments Lema : ) wrote: "♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notice the similaritie..."

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but City of Bones feels too similar to Harry Potter.

Valentine reminds me of Voldemort. (They both start with V, they were both 'incredibly popular, well-liked, charming, and good looking)
Both Valentine and Voldemort are assumed dead at the beginning of the series and both come back surprising the chickens out of everyone. They both believed that their race (Purebloods/Shadowhunters) were superior and that they had to 'purify' the world.

The three tools. In Harry Potter, it is the cloak, the wand and the stone and in City of Bones/Mortal Instruments series, you have the cup, the mirror and the sword. In both books, the bad guy (Voldemort/Valentine) depending on the book tries to get the tools in order to gain power.

The Deatheaters/The Circle
Both Voldemort and Valentine had their own group of followers, which were destroyed. Some abandoned the group before the destruction and others left when they realised the end was near.

Both books also have a boy who was an orphan (Harry/Jace).

Dementors/Silent Brothers
The two are also undoubtedly similar. They give the people around them the creeps, have disfigured faces, and guard the prisons (Azkaban/Silent City)

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but being a big fan of Harry Potter, I just couldn't help but notice the similarities.

message 9: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam | 2359 comments Mod
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notice the similarities between Harry Potter + City of Bones being..."

To be honest, I just found out that Cassandra is a fan of Harry Potter and wrote a trilogy fanfiction called The Draco Trilogy. I wouldn't be that surprised if there were similarities between her books and JK, perhaps she got her inspiration from it.

message 10: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam | 2359 comments Mod
HP :)

While I enjoyed reading Divergent, it was an okayish but forgettable book. I also found Delirium okayish but I'm not willing to read the sequel (does it have a love triangle? I'm tired of those). I've not decided whether I want to read CoB, it has a love triangle, right? That's what's putting off.

message 11: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (last edited Aug 28, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

Ahlaam wrote: "HP :)

While I enjoyed reading Divergent, it was an okayish but forgettable book. I also found Delirium okayish but I'm not willing to read the sequel (does it have a love triangle? I'm tired of th..."

the second book Pandemonium is a very good book...i dont want to tell u much, i dont want to ruin it for you:) As for city of bones like i said in the other thread "Books you're not sure to read" that it is an awesome book and you should give it a try.. When you do read it let me know what you think :)

message 12: by Lema (last edited Sep 01, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

Lema  | 252 comments ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "Lema : ) wrote: "♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notic..."

Oh when you put it that way, it is similar. i never noticed them...

message 13: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (last edited Nov 26, 2012 03:47PM) (new)

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "Lema : ) wrote: "♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notic..."

Makes sense...but i refuse to beleive this because im a huge fan of the mortal instraments..

message 14: by Harleen (new)

Harleen | 120 comments The City of Bones! I love Harry Potter but the mortal instruments series is probably my fav series but Harry Potter is close behind. I liked Delirium but I didn't like the ending of it and my sister ruined Pandemonium for me so I decided not to read it. I haven't read Divergent yet but I want to :)

message 15: by Harleen (new)

Harleen | 120 comments ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "Lema : ) wrote: "♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Delirium... and I'm going to pick Harry Potter. As much as I may enjoy City of Bones, I can't help but notic..."

Wow...I never would have noticed these similarities

message 16: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (new)

Harleen wrote: "The City of Bones! I love Harry Potter but the mortal instruments series is probably my fav series but Harry Potter is close behind. I liked Delirium but I didn't like the ending of it and my siste..."

oh that sucks, i loved the delirium series because of Pandemonium, it was an exciting book :)

message 17: by Harleen (new)

Harleen | 120 comments I might read it but it sucks now since I know the ending :(

message 18: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (new)

Harleen wrote: "I might read it but it sucks now since I know the ending :("

lol... you should..

message 19: by Harleen (new)

Harleen | 120 comments Ya I will

message 20: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) Hmm. Tough question. I'd have to pick Divergent but I love all of the others.

message 21: by Lucy (new)

Lucy  | 22 comments HARRY POTTER <3
But I am a huge fan of TMI and Divergent as well! :)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 47 comments Harry potter

(I just realised that i am answering to things that sorta stopped ages ago if u know what I mean)

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Tavernese | 7 comments Delirium! <3 <3

message 24: by Athena Herondale (new)

Athena Herondale | 177 comments Divergent :)

message 25: by T.J. (new)

T.J. | 10 comments Divergent! <3 Tobias

message 26: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (new)

Lauren wrote: "Harry potter

(I just realised that i am answering to things that sorta stopped ages ago if u know what I mean)"

lol.. ive done that before :)

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ebethwest) | 16 comments Harry Potter #1
City of Bones #2
Divergent #3
Delerium#4

but I like ALL of them better than The Hunger Games

message 28: by Beatrice (last edited Oct 18, 2012 12:04AM) (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) I think Hunger Games should replace Delirium here..

Delirium is good but it's more realistic than these series.. just saying :)

message 29: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 5 comments City of bones!!! Can't get enough of jace!!!

message 30: by Jesserin (new)

Jesserin | 3 comments Ok so hands down I'd say Harry Potter. I grew up reading it and to me nothing would come close. City of Bones for me I think should of stopped at City of Glass. Divergent was great it's an all time favorite and I love Lauren Oliver so delirium was good as well. But all in all Harry Potter is always gonna win for me. I'm from the Harry potter generation :)

message 31: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) I'm actually rereading the Harry Potter series right now since I read them when I was really little. I would say it is close between Divergent, Harry Potter, and City of Bones. Even though i liked Delirium it isn't one of my top books.

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin (ipinktreefrog) | 9 comments Honestly I could never read the Harry Potter books, i have just never liked them... but out of Delirium, Divergent, and City of Bones because they are all my Fav. but Delirium was the first "y-a" book i really read and got me into them but City of Bones is prob. one of the best things i have ever read... then Divergent is AMAZING too, but overall i'll have to say City of Bones!! <3 but with the exception of Harry Potter are all my favs!

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin (ipinktreefrog) | 9 comments Quinn wrote: "City of bones!!! Can't get enough of jace!!!"

Same!!! I'm dying to see how well the movie portrays him!!!!!!

message 34: by Diana ❀ ☺, Shadow Hunter Lover ❀ (new)

Erin wrote: "Quinn wrote: "City of bones!!! Can't get enough of jace!!!"

Same!!! I'm dying to see how well the movie portrays him!!!!!!"

did you see the official trailer?? i love how he talks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4CiT...

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

AAAH your evil. mortal instruments, infernal devices, divergent, delirium and once harry potter...all my favorite. i thing divergent first then delirium and the Shadowhunter Chronicles in second but tie.

message 36: by Carmelle (new)

Carmelle Calixton-balanza | 1 comments Harry Potter is still the best.

I've read the first part of City of Bones and it greatly resembles Harry Potter. Valentine and Voldemort. Jace and Harry Potter.

unread topics | mark unread