Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

The book that made you love books.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 132) (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Erin (last edited Aug 09, 2012 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin "Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return."
— Carlos Ruiz Zafón (The Shadow of the Wind)

this is a quote from one of my favourite books. I was wondering if everyone had a book that first made them love reading. Mine was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone because I read it when I was 5 or 6.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely the Harry Potters. Without them, I wouldn't be the avid reader that I am today. My mother started to read them to my brother and me when I was five, and I read them on my own starting when I was seven.

Erin Hadley Star •Don't let the Muggles get you down• wrote: "Definitely the Harry Potters. Without them, I wouldn't be the avid reader that I am today. My mother started to read them to my brother and me when I was five, and I read them on my own starting wh..."

I know exactly what you mean. I just wouldn't be who I am today without the books I love especially Harry Potter.

Muhammad Ali harry potter is probably a stage every reader probably goes through and probably still does. If harry potter didn't exist there would be less readers in this world. harry potter was basically an eye-opener for me showed me the words in books have a music of their own or transport you somewhere else like Hogwarts. Its basically like your training wheels on a bike it gets you going makes you want to read more books.

Samantha The Escapist Oh goodie I'm the first with one that was out before Harry Potter :)

While I adored all my childrens' books growing up I think the first novel I read on my own was Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville (out around 1993, FINALLY continued in 2008! I near tripped over it in a book store and couldn't believe the sequel I'd hunted for for YEARS of my youth was finally out.)

I believe I'd read it around the age of 7 or 8 and it just pulsed with so much magic and life and it was terribly clever for a younger book. It spoke to my love of movies like Labyrinth and various Disneys. From then to probably age 10 I was unstoppable, moving on to many medieval themed novels (Shadows on a Sword) and other such fantasy (Merlin Chronicles, TA Baron)

But one day I fell out of the habit, I think it likely coincided with an inrease in junior high homework and many assigned novels that I simply hated. It wasn't till I read Harry Potter around age 13 that I really got back into it...but only reading and rereading the Harry Potter books :P

Finally it was all the way to age 18 and checking out Eragon (after the movie of all things) that I had the motivation to try new things and now I'm 24 and reading constantly :) Usually just YA though because though I have a slightly short attention span.

Marija *Don't Even Try To Save Me Tonight* First book that I read was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain when I was about 7 or 8...I lived in village and have no resours to keep reading but when I moved out it seems I just didn't came out from the library!Than I discovered Harry Potter and many other books and finally find a place to belong...Everybody thinks I'm crazy because I read a lot but that's my passion and I can't against it...

Hannah Although Harry Potter was the first series that I ever got obsessed with, the first series that really got me into reading were the Sweet Valley Twins and Goosebumps. Lol anyone remember them?

message 8: by Avani (last edited Aug 09, 2012 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Avani I'm not really sure what book got me to love books, because I have always been an avid book lover. But the Magic Tree House series was my first favorite series, followed by the Baby-Sitter's Club, and then I got to Harry Potter and by then I was committed to books for life.

Sakura Yue Michaelis Wow, it was so long ago, but I think it was Louise M. Alcott and Frances Hodgson, with books like Little Women, Little Men, An Old-fashioned Girl, The Secret Garden...

And books that got me into series/teen were Baby-Sitters Club, Sweet Valley Twins and a couple of books V.C. Andrews.

Ahh that old good times!

Angela Enid Blyton (that's showing my age!) I absolutely loved The Magic Faraway Tree and then read all the Famous Five books. I've also loved all the Harry Potter books, starting with reading them to my children!

message 11: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz The Nancy drew books a long time ago!

Rebecca Alice in Wonderland :D

message 13: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Little House on the Prairie books did it for me. Then Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and it escalated from there. I was an adult with a child when Harry Potter came out, but those books lit my children's imaginations.

Helen Stevens For me it was Enid Blyton - The Magic Faraway Tree and wishing chair series's. Even at the age of 4/5 I was captivated by stories of magic, other worlds, fairies and so on. That love remains, 32 years later!

I was so excited when I first read Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone back in 1999, because I knew straight away that here was a series that would capture children in the same way Enid Blyton captured me. I couldn't have anticipated just how big Potter would grow to be, but I'm glad it did - JK Rowling is an awesome and inspiring writer who's books will surely be read for many generations, just like Dickens or Austen are still read today.

Kelly Well, I have always loved to read. But I have to say that the first book that really just made me fall in love with reading is Wuthering Heights. It was the first book that made me get completely lost in their world when reading it. Love that book.

Brenda Peter Pan.. I bought it when I was eight..♥

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin When I read The Shadow of the Wind it reminded me why I loved reading so much because the writing is so enthralling!

Amelia first book that i read and that was one that made me love reading is called "we are from earth",i was like eight,or nine years old.it was small book,about alien boy and was written by a georgian author,i do remember it kept me want more stories about life without real life in real life,i'm being a bit not correct i think,but i said like i thought =) when i was five-six years old,my mom made me read fairy tales,different ones,lots of them,and made me write them down,so i would have nicer writing,and i think i loved tales since then.

message 19: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob The book that really jump started my reading career was "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I read all the Dark Tower books that were out at the time then started reading everything else he had written and from there just kept branching out to more and more authors.

message 20: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri The Lord of the Rings was definitely the book that turned me into a book lover and I have read it approx. 12 times since then. Actually, I am reading it right now. Other than LotR, the Harry Potter series is next on top of my most read list.

message 21: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth A Wrinkle in Time was my first "serious" chapter book. I loved to read before then, but read mostly comic books. I tell parents all the time to never discount the power of "junk" reading. Goosebumps, Sweet Valley Twins, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and comic books all can be the portal that a child will move through on the way to becoming a reader. If kids have enough opportunity to read what they enjoy, they will eventually move on to better books (thank goodness I had a mother wise enough to know this!!).

Marija *Don't Even Try To Save Me Tonight* Erin wrote: "When I read The Shadow of the Wind it reminded me why I loved reading so much because the writing is so enthralling!"

Second one I heard that like that book... X)

Kerstin I was "Feuergott der Maranen" written by Alexander Wolkow. Unfortunately there ist only a translation in german. The original is written in russian and there is no translation in english.
It as a story much like the wizzard of oz. A girl found a mouse and followd it to the Zauberland (Magicland). However I loved it and I don't know how often I read it.

Muhammad Ali Keri wrote: "The Lord of the Rings was definitely the book that turned me into a book lover and I have read it approx. 12 times since then. Actually, I am reading it right now. Other than LotR, the Harry Potte..."

YES!!, LOTR was crazy its a good series im reading it right now i thought is was gonna be boring, but my brother was right when he recommended it to me its pretty good

Wajiha it was 'Godfather' by Mario Puzo and then this lovely Harry Potter series.. i have gone through the books many times and every time they take me to a new world.

Graham Heywood My first (and only book for many years) was 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith. Forget the Disney cartoon and read the book to your children, it is beautiful.
As a teenager Papillon by Henri Charriere confirmed me as a voracious reader, followed, of course, by Lord of the Rings.
After a spell without reading much as an adult, I was reawakened by To Kill a Mockingbird.
I was encouraged to write my own book by reading the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series.

Andrea The Bad Beginning. The first book in A Series of Unfortunate Events books. It really made me get into reading!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "The book that really jump started my reading career was "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I read all the Dark Tower books that were out at the time then started reading everything else he had writt..."
I loved The Gunslinger too! I read it and I thought, wow, why hasn't anyone told me about this before?
I don't really remember the first book that made me read...it was probably something like Lord of the Rings or Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books. I do remember going through a massive Harry Potter phase though.

message 29: by Marwa (last edited Aug 11, 2012 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marwa A. Even though I liked reading way before I read Harry Potter but it is still the reason why i became a book lover.

Senni Crossword Cipher was the first book I read. After that I started reading. Nancy Drew, finnish horse books, and everything I manage to take home from travelling library(?). I read Temperance Brennan book by Kathy Reichs and wanted to be coroner. I think I was 11 then.

(lousy English, I know)

sheecka as a child i really love to read.. but I think what influence me most was If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon by Sidney Sheldon..

Marija *Don't Even Try To Save Me Tonight* Andrea wrote: "The Bad Beginning. The first book in A Series of Unfortunate Events books. It really made me get into reading!"

Great book!

Heidi For me it was Black Beauty. After that I couldn't get enough horse books to keep me happy. I am going to be picking Black Beauty again so that I can read it to my son.

message 34: by Ellese (new) - added it

Ellese I think the books that got me started were the Boxcar children books...They literally set me on a path to consume any and every mystery book, well even into now where I consumer all paranormal/urban fantasy mystery book :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne

This was the 1st book that ever made me want to read. And since this book I have never stopped loving to read:) thanks Eileen!!!!!!!

message 36: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan My teacher read The Magicians's Nephew for us in class back in 1968. The story mesmerized me and it made me want to learn to read myself since she only read a few pages a week.

Emily Secret Life of Bees

Moonlight My grandparents had a book in their home, Fifty Famous Fairy Tales, which I asked them to read to me constantly when I was little. In 4th grade, I read Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder and loved it. Sadly, my teacher told me in front of the class that the book was too hard for me. First time I ever talked back to a teacher. I told her it was not.

Sarah Alex I hated reading when i was a kid, but it had to be the famous five when i was about 7/8. And ever since I just cant get enough of books!

Karlee I have always love to read. But I must say, the book that really got me into it, chose my favorite genre and everything was Found by Margaret Peterson haddix

Godiva3 I always loved reading and i started with Roald Dahl's books. I think Charlie and the chocolate factory was my first!

message 42: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida For the first book that made me love books, I'd say its a toss up between Alice in Wonderland and Matilda by Roald Dahl; I read them both around the same time.

Also, for the people who wrote that Harry Potter was the book that made them love books, did you know there was an actual ailment called "Hogwarts Headache" that a doctor wrote about to the New England Journal of Medicine. Its basically a prolonged headache caused by reading for longer than the patient has ever done before.

Here is the letter that the doctor wrote: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/N...

Cameron Goodman Actually I didn't start liking books the way I do now was a few years ago when I read Hunger Games

message 44: by Jenna (last edited Aug 12, 2012 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna I thank my mother for me being an avid reader...she read to me as a small kid then when i got of age i read to her....I can remember reading the little kid books but my first actual books me myself read to her was the box cart children and Goosebumps :) and then i worked my way up. But I thank my mom for me loving to read...Thats how i use to get punished i didnt get grounded i got my books taken away lol and i remember my step dad had to steal my light bulbs cuz id hide books so i could still read, i was a sneaky little shit haha

Teddi I've been reading as long as I can remember and even before that (over 40 years). I cant point my finger at any particular book. The library was my 2nd home :)

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Walker My nan used to work in a charity shop so she would bring me loads of Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl books. Then I got a library card and used to spend my entire summer holidays in there, and I've not stopped since :)

Mikaela Erin wrote: ""Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of..."

yeh me too, harry potter was definently a portal into the wonderful world of reading

message 48: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Andrews I loved Enid Blyton when I was a child. Especially the Mallory Towers series. Never without a book!

message 49: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Tirzah wrote: "Rida wrote: "For the first book that made me love books, I'd say its a toss up between Alice in Wonderland and Matilda by Roald Dahl; I read them both around the same time.

Also, for the people wh..."

I actually prefer hardcover because I have a long commute to school and I'm usually reading on the subway and hardcover fares better in my bag. Paperback books usually get crushed. Also hardcover is easier to keep open with one hand.

But I do have to make sure not to read lying down, holding the book above me--many a book has fallen on my face this way.

Jenna Rida book to the face has happened to me several times lol and to Tirzah i like reading on my couch in bed and this might be weird i like takin a bubble bath and soaking and relxing and reading very soothing

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (other topics)
If Tomorrow Comes (other topics)
The Shadow of the Wind (other topics)
The Odyssey (other topics)
More...