Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Your Aussie Author book recommendations

Comments (showing 1-50 of 203) (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Brenda | 31633 comments Mod
Post all your Aussie recommendations for our members here...

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

are two that immediately come to mind, but there are loads more...let me put my thinking cap on:)

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) My biggest recommendation would be The Slap.

But another one that interested me greatly was the Australian Lolita story Me and Mr. Booker

message 3: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

I have had Me and Mr. Booker written down on a piece of paper here to look out for, for ages!!! Must get to it!

message 4: by Michael, Back to reality! (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 7735 comments Mod
I recommend The Betrayal.

Other worthy reads i enjoyed included A Man You Can Bank On and Desert Fish

Will post more later.

message 5: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

message 6: by James (new)

James | 33 comments Anything by Tim Wintonbut particularly Cloudstreetand Breath

I second recommending Jasper Jones.

I also really enjoyed The Secret Riverwhich I only read recently. Looking forward to reading more of Kate Grenville's work.

I read Swallow the Airin uni and remember loving it the most from my Aussie lit course.

message 7: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Some great ones there James. I have The Secret River to read shortly...there have been some good reviews for it:)

message 8: by Tango (new)

Tango | 240 comments Can I recommend my husband's book Rotten Gods? It is his debut, a political thriller set in Dubai and Somalia but with an Aussie woman as the central character. It is a great read and has been getting some good reviews.

message 9: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

You certainly can Tango...I will hopefully get my hands on a copy soon:)

message 10: by Mish (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:11AM) (new)

Mish | 2815 comments I vote for Jasper Jones too. I think everyone should read it...hint hint Michael (SA & KL) :P

Plus I would highly recommend The Street Sweeper and Past the Shallows

message 11: by Tango (new)

Tango | 240 comments Yes Past the Shallows was a great read.

message 12: by David (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments Can I put my own, seeing as no one else has yet......(-:

message 13: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

I will recommend Out of Australia for you David:)

message 14: by Michael, Back to reality! (last edited Aug 10, 2012 04:36AM) (new)

Heres a few more i can think of that are great reads.

Last Summer and The Family Law

message 15: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 2093 comments well, everything by Geraldine Brooks

message 16: by David (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments Thank you Brenda.....(-:

message 17: by Phrynne, The book rescuer!! (last edited Aug 14, 2012 08:46PM) (new)

Phrynne | 3292 comments Mod
Marianne wrote: "well, everything by Geraldine Brooks"

Well this is how dumb I am. I love Geraldine Brooks and have read all her books and was not aware until now that she is Australian. Caleb's Crossing is brilliant.

message 18: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 313 comments I recently read Pearl in a Cage by Joy Dettman and I loved it, can't wait to read the rest of the series.

I have been ejoying a young adult series by Kate Forsyth which takes place in England during the rule of Oliver Cromwell.

I am also enjoying a series by Anna Jacobs about the Blake sisters

message 19: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 12 comments Michael wrote: "I recommend The Betrayal.

Will post more later."

Michael I read A Man You Can Bank On after you recommended it and thought Derek Hansen was amazing. I've since read Lunch with the Generals and Lunch with Mussolini by him and they are perhaps some of my favourite books of all time. Have you read them? If not I highly recommend them!

message 20: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Rachael wrote: "Michael wrote: "I recommend The Betrayal.

Will post more later."

Michael I read A Man You Can Bank On after you recomm..."

A Man You Can Bank On
Lunch with the Generals
Lunch with Mussolini

message 21: by Zino (last edited Aug 31, 2012 02:17AM) (new)

Zino (Goodreadscomuser_zino) | 7 comments My best recommendation would be the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, it's YA and I think it's an incredible series. I also loved the Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I read his other book I Am the Messenger and thought it was good.
Melina Marchetta is also another Aussie author I'd recommend, I loved Looking for Alibrandi and lots of people I know have read her other books and just love them :)

message 22: by Mish (new)

Mish | 2815 comments I agree Zino. I've got one more book to read in the Tomorrow that series but they have all been brilliant. I also love The Book Thief

message 23: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Good recommendations there Zino!

message 24: by Farseer (new)

Farseer | 13 comments James wrote: "Anything by Tim Wintonbut particularly Cloudstreetand Breath

I second recommending Jasper Jones.

I also really enjoyed The Secret Riverwhich I only read recently. Looking forward to reading more..."

I add my voice to both Jasper Jones (anything with a bit of cricket in it has my vote! :P ) and The Secret River. :)

message 25: by Farseer (last edited Sep 28, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

Farseer | 13 comments I have so many that I think I'll have to do this in stages...! :)

Across the Nightingale Floor and the other four books of the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn

The Last Stormlord and the rest of the books in the Watergivers trilogy by Glenda Larke

The Magicians' Guild and the other books of the Black Magician and Traitor Spy trilogies by Trudi Canavan (very Hobb-like)

The Ruins of Gorlan and the ten other books in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

The Outcasts and The Invaders of the Brotherband series, also by John Flanagan (Book Three, The Hunters is apparently due out here on Nov 1st )

Anything by Emily Rodda but especially The Forests of Silence and the other fourteen (?) books of the three Deltora Quest series, as well as the five books of her Rowan of Rin series.

Off to bed but I will return as I believe that, as much as I am a fan of an American fantasy author, we Aussie readers/writers must support our Aussie authors if we wish to continue seeing them in print (for ourselves or our children), or if we ever wish to see ourselves in print. :)

'night!

message 26: by Farseer (last edited Sep 28, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

Farseer | 13 comments Zino wrote: "My best recommendation would be the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, it's YA and I think it's an incredible series."

I have to revisit this series, I think, as I only got so far into the first book and I have loved most other works of Marsden's.

My eldest son, now nearing twenty, had to read the first book of the Tomorrow series for a school assignment back in Year Eight. As we live out on a cattle station we had to attempt the whole boarding school thing for a couple of years and, missing him dreadfully and knowing it was difficult for him to concentrate on reading within a boarding environment, I made the mistake of thinking I'd be a good mother who recorded herself reading this book and then sending him the audio version to follow along with! Erk! While we have always had a very open relationship, and have spoken together about subjects regarding 'the facts of life' very easily, this was still *not* the best book to choose for my first (and last!) stint at 'audio'! :P

message 27: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Farseer wrote: "Zino wrote: "My best recommendation would be the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, it's YA and I think it's an incredible series."

I have to revisit this series, I think, as I only got so far into ..."

Haha! That's funny! At least you tried:)

message 28: by Zino (new)

Zino (Goodreadscomuser_zino) | 7 comments Farseer wrote: "Zino wrote: "My best recommendation would be the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, it's YA and I think it's an incredible series."

I have to revisit this series, I think, as I only got so far into ..."

I have never heard of someone making their own audio of a book, to me it sounds like a good idea! Well done for giving it a go, even though it didn't turn out as well as you hoped. Like Brenda said, at least you tried :)

message 29: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 2260 comments Marianne wrote: "well, everything by Geraldine Brooks"

I especially loved March and Caleb's Crossing but have read all her fiction.

message 30: by Belle (new)

Belle (bellesbookshelf) | 5 comments Aside from what's already been mentioned, Caroline Overington is awesome - I especially loved I Came to Say Goodbye. I also enjoyed Fury and Preloved by Shirley Marr.

message 31: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 2260 comments I have read two of Caroline Overington's I Came to Say Goodbye and Ghost Child. both interesting reads.

message 32: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Dale wrote: "I have read two of Caroline Overington's I Came to Say Goodbye and Ghost Child. both interesting reads."

Ghost Child

message 33: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 442 comments I thoroughly enjoyed Wolf Pear by Dianne F. Gray mutli-award winning aussie author! Check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

message 34: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

I'll definitely be getting to that as soon as I can Lynxie:)

message 35: by Marie (new)

Marie Clair (MarieClair) | 21 comments I see David had a generous response 'can I put my own, seeing no one else has?' Perhaps, I can be so lucky!
My most loved Aussie books
'Thorn Birds'
'For the term of his natural life,'
'The sound of one hand clapping.'
marie clair

message 36: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Marie wrote: "My most loved Aussie books
'Thorn Birds'
'For the term of his natural life,'
'The sound..."

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke
The Sound of One Hand Clapping by Richard Flanagan

message 37: by Ian (new)

Ian | 1 comments Just finished elliot perlmans "Seven Types of Ambiguity" and the "Street Sweeper". Both excellent. I also really enjoyed "breathe" and the "Book Thief" - and cant forget "Jasper Jones". We have some great authors at the moment dont we!

message 38: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Seven Types of Ambiguity
The Street Sweeper
Breath
The Book Thief
Jasper Jones

We sure do Ian....I'm continually incredibly impressed by Australia's quality of authors:)

message 39: by Michael, Back to reality! (new)

I have The Street Sweeper waiting to be read in my bookcase. I may have to give it it,s wish sometime. :)

message 40: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Michael wrote: "I have The Street Sweeper waiting to be read in my bookcase. I may have to give it it,s wish sometime. :)"

I've heard a lot of really good reports on this one Michael!

message 41: by Kaylene (new)

Kaylene (Feltzy) | 80 comments The Street Sweeper is a beautiful book - one of my faves for the year. You should definitely read it, it's amazing!

message 42: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Thanks Kaylene...might have to add it to my never ending TBR list!!!

message 43: by Michael, Back to reality! (new)

Do it do it do it. :D

message 44: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

IdidIdidIdid!!! lol

message 45: by Kaylene (new)

Kaylene (Feltzy) | 80 comments Haha...I know! My to-read list is getting longer all the time....ahhh, so many books.....

message 46: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Kaylene wrote: "Haha...I know! My to-read list is getting longer all the time....ahhh, so many books.....".......so little time;P lol

message 47: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 442 comments No time! I think someone is stealing my time! *sigh*

message 48: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

Lynxie wrote: "No time! I think someone is stealing my time! *sigh*"

He's been at my house too Lynxie!!

message 49: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 107 comments My favourite book is Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. I've read it twice so far. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton

message 50: by Brenda, Quicker than lightning! (new)

It's an amazing book Jeanette:)

« previous 1 3 4 5