YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived Threads > Ask Auntie Alex; anything you wanna know, ASK

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alex (last edited Feb 02, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Hi everyone, welcome to the new thread, "Ask Auntie Alex."

Now, remember, although this is an open (haha, I use that term LOOSELY) thread, it's P.G. darlings. :)

Ask whatever you like, be it what was it like to come out, fashion advice, or even advice on how to go about telling a crush you like them. Anything straying into *that* topic (We all know what that is, don't we Pirates? ;) ) don't hesitate to p.m. me.

Love, Auntie Alex :)

Any other aunts or uncles are more than welcome :D

BUMPITY-BUMP :D

As Lola would say, 'there's a chill in the air'...

message 2: by Alex (last edited Aug 08, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments *

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

message 3: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 4676 comments I am sooooo excited about this---welcome Junior mod Alex!! or should I say Auntie Alex?? Hahahaha!

message 4: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments I WANNA BE AN AUNTIE I WANNA BE ONE WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Lizzie wrote: "I WANNA BE AN AUNTIE I WANNA BE ONE WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Of course you can be one; you're my sister, aren't you? :P

message 6: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Alex wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "I WANNA BE AN AUNTIE I WANNA BE ONE WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Of course you can be one; you're my sister, aren't you? :P"

Oh yeah whoops:P

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Lizzie wrote: "Alex wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "I WANNA BE AN AUNTIE I WANNA BE ONE WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Of course you can be one; you're my sister, aren't you? :P"

Oh yeah whoops:P"

Numpty. SSHHH back on topic before I'm removed as a mod XD Ahem. Yes, ask me things... About... Y/A.... And... stuff...?

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Hi Auntie, welcome :) I look forward to seeing more of you around here and I looove that picture. *snicker*

message 9: by Elci (last edited Aug 09, 2012 11:11AM) (new)

Elci   | 825 comments Auntie Alex... so fashion advice request. I'm going to a surprise wedding (yeah the bride has no idea) anyway, it's a picnic reception (?!) that the bride has no clue about and I have no idea what to wear. No one has given out clues (grr) so, uh do you have any ideas? I can't ask anyone because no one knows anything. The groom planning this has dropped the ball sooo badly. We're all scratching our heads. Sigh. So help out (I'm serious). Shorts, dress, casual, dressy? It's gonna be picnic food and stuff but shorts seem so unwedding.

ETA: the wedding is this Sunday.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Elci wrote: "Auntie Alex... so fashion advice request. I'm going to a surprise wedding (yeah the bride has no idea) anyway, it's a picnic reception (?!) that the bride has no clue about and I have no idea what ..."

I'd say a light summer dress and a cardigan or a bolero; looking smart, but not overly, but with a spash of casual. Remember to keep the colours bright and in fitting with your colouring.

Shoes, I'd say flats or sandals if you have any which match.

Makeup I'll leave to you, as with hair, but I'd suggest loose curls or a loose ponytail.

Hope it helps; just try to stay well presented but not ott smart :)

message 11: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Alex wrote: "Elci wrote: "Auntie Alex... so fashion advice request. I'm going to a surprise wedding (yeah the bride has no idea) anyway, it's a picnic reception (?!) that the bride has no clue about and I hav..."

Wow you really are good at this o.O

message 12: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Auntie Aleeex...fashion advice please;) I'm going to the seaside tomorrow and you've seen the majority of my wardrobe bar some new trousers mummy boughted my today (she also bought me chinos...yup, i know what you're thinking!!). So...uh...good Scarborough clothing?:3

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Lizzie wrote: "Auntie Aleeex...fashion advice please;) I'm going to the seaside tomorrow and you've seen the majority of my wardrobe bar some new trousers mummy boughted my today (she also bought me chinos...yup,..."

Well, regarding trousers *scolds under breath, cursing you for having chinos* I'd say if you've got any breathable jeans or "long" shorts (i.e. to your calves) you could go with them, your uber-cool half-hour-to-lace-up shoes, and a t-shirt with your B.V.B jacket since you're always cold XD Plus, if you do get hot on the offchance, you can tie it about your waist. :)

message 14: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Alex wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "Auntie Aleeex...fashion advice please;) I'm going to the seaside tomorrow and you've seen the majority of my wardrobe bar some new trousers mummy boughted my today (she also bought m..."

She's taking the chinos back don't worry!!!;) Or I could just go round and wear 'em round my ankles like the majority of the population ;). It does NOT take half an hour to put them on, they have buckles, I can't help it!!:'( Fankuuu baba. Oh and go on Faceyb; I sent you a message xx

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Lizzie wrote: "Alex wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "Auntie Aleeex...fashion advice please;) I'm going to the seaside tomorrow and you've seen the majority of my wardrobe bar some new trousers mummy boughted my today (she ..."

Good, otherwise I'd have to look at her over my awful Dame Edna Everage-style glasses with disgust. LOl. And if you did that, I'd have to diagnose you with Duck Syndrome (arse too close to the floor) XD

Buckles are easy :P

Okey dokes, you're welcome hun xxx

message 16: by Elci (new)

Elci   | 825 comments Alex wrote: "Elci wrote: "Auntie Alex... so fashion advice request. I'm going to a surprise wedding (yeah the bride has no idea) anyway, it's a picnic reception (?!) that the bride has no clue about and I hav..."

Well presented but not too smart. I like that. Thanks =) Off to look at my clothes I go.

You rock Auntie Alex

message 17: by Kaje (last edited Aug 09, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments So Auntie Alex, I'm writing a story with these 15-16 year old guys in it. One kid is gay and kind of into clothes, and he's thinking about wearing some of the clothes he likes but hasn't dared to pull out for school yet. Question: how much do other guys pay attention to clothes? How far out do they have to be to get a comment? Would a guy ever tell another his shirt is cool/(some other version of nice) or would that just never make a 15-year-old guy's event horizon? Are there articles of clothing that make more impact (eg. would shoes or a jacket get more notice?)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) | 119 comments A surprise wedding? That could turn really interesting, especially if the bride says no.

As far as pants at the beach, the obvious literary advice would be:
"I grow old, I grow old,
I shall wear my trousers rolled,
will I part my hair behind? Dare I eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers and walk upon the beach,
I hear the mermaids singing, each to each"

TS Eliot
;)

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Kaje wrote: "So Auntie Alex, I'm writing a story with these 15-16 year old guys in it. One kid is gay and kind of into clothes, and he's thinking about wearing some of the clothes he likes but hasn't dared to p..."

Not being a regular guy, this is a harder question to answer; however, there can be a big notice of clothes someone wears i.e. if someone comes in wearing the latest, most expensive, popular pair of shoes as a guy, EVERY guy who is/wants to be popular will notice. If the character's like me and comes into school wearing 5" calf high boots, they'll also get noticed. And I've just reminded myself, Connor noticed what I wore when we went out for my birthday; he took me into a clothes shop and we went into the changing rooms (sounds dirty ;) ) and he was literally throwing clothes over the door for my to try and model; he hates the way I dress, and thought other stuff might suit. A jacket would be noticed more than a pair of shoes, I'd say. And it all depends on the clothing as to whether it'd be noticed, the same with the boy wearing it.

Hope it helps, Alexx :)

message 20: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 4676 comments Ok Auntie Alex, here's my dilemma. I have a meet and greet to go to for the new job. Dress is called "smart casual"

I have a pair of linen white capris that come to below my knee and some nice strapy flat sandals. Normally I would wear a flowy emerald green pleated sleeveless blouse--with a jewel encrusted rounded neck panel--think cleopatra.

However--it is rather--flashy--and uhm...maybe a little sexy. SO...do I wear it or opt for a more conservative tailored light blue blouse with 3/4 length sleeves?

And thank you in advance.

message 21: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Alex wrote: "Kaje wrote: "So Auntie Alex, I'm writing a story with these 15-16 year old guys in it. One kid is gay and kind of into clothes, and he's thinking about wearing some of the clothes he likes but hasn..."

Thanks! I wasn't sure if guys notice, the way girls do, if someone has something out of the ordinary, so that does help :)

message 22: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Alex...so...um...I wear chinos now...can we still be friends?

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise Walker (lw95) | 795 comments Lizzie wrote: "Alex...so...um...I wear chinos now...can we still be friends?"

*Completely ignores the fact that the question was directed at Alex* No, we can't ;)

message 24: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Louise wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "Alex...so...um...I wear chinos now...can we still be friends?"

*Completely ignores the fact that the question was directed at Alex* No, we can't ;)"

But if you loved me you wouldn't care :'(

message 25: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments OK Auntie Alex, what's wrong with chinos?

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise Walker (lw95) | 795 comments Lizzie wrote: "Louise wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "Alex...so...um...I wear chinos now...can we still be friends?"

*Completely ignores the fact that the question was directed at Alex* No, we can't ;)"

But if you loved..."

That's just not fair.

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Kaje wrote: "OK Auntie Alex, what's wrong with chinos?"

I. Don't. Like. Them. And what I say goes ;) XD Nah, if you like them, go for it, just because I'd rather see everyone in stupidly-skinny skinny jeans or a skirt or shorts it doesn't mean they have to :)

Sam, you can wear that green top IF you have something to go under/over it i.e. a white vest (that breathes), or maybe a necklace or scarf which would still draw attention to *that* area, but at the same time, preserves modesty.

Lizzie, no, I'll hate you forever, my twin, you won't be my twin. I'll have to use Evan *cough but that would be incest again, wouldn't it? WHY DO I CRUSH ON ALL THE STRAIGHT GUYS?!* Joking hun, of course I'll still love you, you're my sister and remember... " THE SISTERS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES!!"

message 28: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Kaje wrote: "OK Auntie Alex, what's wrong with chinos?"

YEAAAAAAAAAH KAJE IS ON MY SIDE, Soooo Auntie Alex, what IS wrong with chinos?;)

message 29: by Anke (new)

Anke Sorry to say - I don't like them either, my leggs are even shorter wearing them as they already are :(

message 30: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Anke wrote: "Sorry to say - I don't like them either, my leggs are even shorter wearing them as they already are :("

Aw, how tall are you? :)

message 31: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments So what you call "chinos" are what we call "capris"? Pants that stop at mid-calf? Because here "chinos" are a fabric, sort of like khaki, that can be shorts or full length slacks.

message 32: by Anke (new)

Anke I'm 5'3" or 4? 1,60m to be exact:)) and nope, I know - chinos are these cotton pants with a special fit. Don't they have some kind of pleats in front? Tell me if I'm totally wrong - ha!

message 33: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments They are what I mean by chinos although mine aren't that colour, they're like reddy/purple.

Aw Anke, I'm taller than you, hehe:P

message 34: by Kaje (last edited Aug 11, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Lizzie wrote: " They are what I mean by chinos although mine aren't that colour, they're like reddy/purple.

Aw Anke, I'm taller than you, hehe:P"

Then I don't know why they would be undesirable, especially if they're not olive or khaki. But clearly Auntie Alex will set us straight. (You could fit all of my fashion sense in a thimble and still have room for beer. That's why the guys in my stories mostly wear jeans and T-shirts, because that's hard to mess up.)

message 35: by Anke (last edited Aug 11, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Anke Lizzie wrote: " They are what I mean by chinos although mine aren't that colour, they're like reddy/purple.

Yes, you and all of my three kids apparently!
And yes, that's what I had in mind as well. Only when I wear these pants it looks slightly different. So, I stick to jeans and t-shirts as well.

message 36: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Anke wrote: "Lizzie wrote: " They are what I mean by chinos although mine aren't that colour, they're like reddy/purple.

Yes, you and all of my three kids apparently!"

Well I'm 'only' 5 foot 7 and a half inches ;)

message 37: by Lizzie (last edited Aug 11, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Kaje wrote: "Lizzie wrote: " They are what I mean by chinos although mine aren't that colour, they're like reddy/purple.

Then I don't know why they would be undesirable, ..."

I'm sure it's not that bad :')

And...um...wouldn't beer leak through a thimble? :P

message 38: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Lizzie wrote: "And...um...wouldn't beer leak through a thimble? :P ..."

My thimbles don't have holes in them? Although given the fingertip size the amount of beer they hold is pretty negligible. (So is the amount of fashion sense.)

message 39: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Kaje wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "And...um...wouldn't beer leak through a thimble? :P ..."

My thimbles don't have holes in them? Although given the fingertip size the amount of beer they hold is pretty negligible. (..."

Oh I always thought they had holes in because of the dimples but I just googled it and they don't haha :') Wow I'm silly :P

message 40: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 4676 comments Alex wrote: "Kaje wrote: "OK Auntie Alex, what's wrong with chinos?"

I. Don't. Like. Them. And what I say goes ;) XD Nah, if you like them, go for it, just because I'd rather see everyone in stupidly-skinny sk..."

Thank you Auntie Alex!

message 41: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Lizzie wrote: "Oh I always thought they had holes in because of the dimples but I just googled it and they don't haha :') Wow I'm silly :P
..."

Not silly, just not a girl who spent her childhood sewing little leather tack for her model horses (because if you had you'd be very familiar with thimbles :)

Isn't the Internet nice though? I remember having to go to a physical encyclopedia or library to look things up. Of course, the answer had a higher probability of being right, but it was so much more work.

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments FYI I don't like chinos depending on whose wearing them. I'm still remembering when Connor wore some to school and Em pointed out that he has no junk in his trunk *coughnoneinthefronteither,notthatI'dknowO:)cough*

And if they're in an okish purpley-red, I guess they're acceptable. Move to orange or camel and I just don't like them. I don't know what it is... Maybe it's because I don't like browns... I have NO brown clothing. NONE.

message 43: by Anke (new)

Anke I remember thinking brown is like a old color - there you see, times are changing:)

message 44: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 4676 comments Alex wrote: "FYI I don't like chinos depending on whose wearing them. I'm still remembering when Connor wore some to school and Em pointed out that he has no junk in his trunk *coughnoneinthefronteither,notthat..."

me either!!!

message 45: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments I like them, but probably because my hubby wears them and that gives them a positive association :)

message 46: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Alex wrote: "FYI I don't like chinos depending on whose wearing them. I'm still remembering when Connor wore some to school and Em pointed out that he has no junk in his trunk *coughnoneinthefronteither,notthat..."

HAHAHAAH CAMEL TOE.

Nobody: The brown crocs are my favourite.
^It was on tumblr okay aha.

That's perfectly acceptable, Kaje!:)

message 47: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Lizzie wrote: "Alex wrote: "FYI I don't like chinos depending on whose wearing them. I'm still remembering when Connor wore some to school and Em pointed out that he has no junk in his trunk *coughnoneinthefronte..."

Connor said I had a camel toe once.... I was worried (but kinda like YEAH HE'S LOOKING AT ME) when he said it...

It's true though, he doesn't have a lot in eit- wait, this is deviating from YA :3 Nooo-one wants to hear about my "accidental" groping or staring escapades... *slaps*. Ah. Much better. Back to being the giggly ol' innocent thing I wa-I MEAN AM.

message 48: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments So if a guy wants to be considered cool in your school Alex, what does he wear?

message 49: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex26) | 339 comments Kaje wrote: "So if a guy wants to be considered cool in your school Alex, what does he wear?"

Uh..... I don't know, I don't pay attention to what fkjbnfdkjbkibhfadsio s are supposedly "cool." Then again, I'm "cool" and I wear a skirt ;)

message 50: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 11133 comments Alex wrote: "Uh..... I don't know, I don't pay attention to what fkjbnfdkjbkibhfadsio s are supposedly "cool." Then again, I'm "cool" and I wear a skirt ;)
..."

You're unique as well as cool. <3 I guess my guys will continue to wear jeans and T-shirts.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread