Ricochet Book Club discussion

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
This topic is about The Eye of the World
The Wheel of Time

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aaron Miller (hallower) | 7 comments Is anyone else planning on re-reading Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series now that the final book has been submitted for editing to the publisher?

That was the first series I made the mistake of starting before realizing it wasn't done. I should have learned my lesson. But then I started "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R R Martin. Maybe that one will be finished in a decade or two.

message 2: by Zachary (last edited Aug 08, 2012 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zachary (DestructoZach) | 1 comments This series is next on my list as soon as I finish Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun." Although I am a little wary of starting it since there are so many books.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe | 1 comments This is a fairy complex series. It has the best character writing I've seen in fantasy or scifi. Whether or not a person enjoys the series seems to be a matter of taste. The sheer detail is amazing, but turns some people off (this is definitely one series you want to read, not listen too, so you can skip over unnecessary prose).

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Patrick (TheKingPrawn) | 7 comments I'm part way through the first book but have bogged down some. Any motivation to keep going?

message 5: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (CUDouglas) | 26 comments For strictly irrational personal reasons, I will probably never read these books.

Aaron Miller (hallower) | 7 comments Jordan is the sort of writer who gets bogged down in details. It's definitely a departure from more wistful authors like Koontz or Crichton.

Dustin, if you're not hooked by halfway through the first book, just dump it. No book is for everyone.

By the way, Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series is similarly detailed.

Sidehill | 3 comments Like Aaron says "No book is for everyone". I trudged through the first three books and still dislike them. I am not a good barometer since I dislike most scifi/fantasy. Jack Chalker is one scifi/fantasy author I like.

message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Patrick (TheKingPrawn) | 7 comments I made it into the fourth of the Fire and Ice books. Had Martin left out all the clothing and heraldry descriptions he would have written pamphlets.

message 9: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew | 1 comments I just started my first ever read through of the Wheel of Time. Liking it so far.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Meyer (tomdmeyer) | 4 comments I made the decision a long time ago to stay away from this that series and I'm not regretting it.

message 11: by Zachary (new) - added it

Zachary (madpoet) | 2 comments The series lost me about book five or so when I realized that my favorite character wasn't in the book at all. But now that the last book is on its way in... I've read other Brandon Sanderson books (and I listen to his writing podcast - Writing Excuses - which is excellent), so I might have to give it another shot now that it's drawing to a close. Finally.
Now if we could just get David Gerrold to put out "A Method for Madness" (Don't get me started...)

message 12: by Kelly-Louise (new)

Kelly-Louise | 8 comments For those of you interested in this series, book 2 "The Great Hunt" and book 3 "The Dragon Reborn" are currently in goodreads giveaways that you can enter.

If you are new to this site, you can either just go to the book's page to enter, or to 'giveaways' under the Explore drop down menu and find it that way. Good luck!

Aaron Miller (hallower) | 7 comments On the second time reading through this series, the frequent dream sequences are driving me up the wall.

Two things authors should use sparingly are dream sequences and flashbacks.

message 14: by David (new) - rated it 1 star

David (conservativewanderer) | 5 comments Actually, what turned me off from this series -- I think I was like 4 or 5 books in, but I could be wrong -- was the incessant whining of the main character.

I mean, a little bit, like Garion in the Belgariad, is actually good, because it humanizes the character. We all whine a little when our world gets turned upside down. But to go on and on and on, book after book after book... no, thank you, I'll not spend my hard-earned dollars for that.

unread topics | mark unread