Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > search friend bookshelves

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8362 comments We can search group bookshelves and see members ratings (and reviews ?).

In a similar fashion, I would like to be able to search friends shelves as a group to see ratings - and hopefully reviews, but a link "see review" would be acceptable.

Apparently friend reviews are limited on the book page. I don't have the problem with limitations, but apparently some people do. Wouldn't this address this limitation?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments If you look at the top of the bookshelf while in a friend or other GR member's public profile shelf and choose shelf settings and check reviews to see their reviews - sort by review to see all the books with reviews or words written in the review section :-)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie's Bookshelf

And I can see yours!

Elizabeth's Bookshelf

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8362 comments Perhaps I did not explain what I meant. Have you ever searched a group bookshelf? You can see see all member reviews. I was proposing that you be able to globally search your friend bookshelves for a specific book and the search would return all results.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 513 comments How about on author profiles, if you're logged in, seeing how many of your friends have read each of the books displayed and being able to click on that number, taking you to a list of just their ratings and reviews? This would expand and increase its usefulness to those who have few, as well as many, friends.

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11090 comments Mod
Amy or "Ames" wrote: "How about on author profiles, if you're logged in, seeing how many of your friends have read each of the books displayed and being able to click on that number, taking you to a list of just their r..."

A feature very similar to this was beta-tested about 2 years ago. (The thread may still be around somewhere.)

Unfortunately, it was a HUGE resource hog, so it was never implemented.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Perhaps I did not explain what I meant. Have you ever searched a group bookshelf? You can see see all member reviews. I was proposing that you be able to globally search your friend bookshelves for..."

Well, I TOTALLY misunderstood where you were going with that... sorry about that.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8362 comments I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "Well, I TOTALLY misunderstood where you were going with that... sorry about that. "

Not a problem! You helped me realize I hadn't said what I thought I meant. ;-)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 513 comments rivka wrote: "A feature very similar to this was beta-tested about 2 years ago. (The thread may still be around somewhere.)

Unfortunately, it was a HUGE resource hog, so it was never implemented."

That's a shame, it's something I would've used often. Thanks for responding, Rivka.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "Well, I TOTALLY misunderstood where you were going with that... sorry about that. "

Not a problem! You helped me realize I hadn't said what I thought I meant. ;-)"

Well, at least I accomplished something :-D

message 10: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11090 comments Mod
Yeah, I helped with some of the trying-it-out stage of the testing, and I really liked it. If we ever figure out a way to do it that doesn't tax the database . . .

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 08, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8362 comments I suspect my request would also be a huge resource hog, but I can't help but ask for it anyway. It's probably sort of a backwards way of doing things, but one could look at friends' books and shelves collectively without having to hop-skip-jump from book page to book page.

unread topics | mark unread