Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Nominations for September 2012

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marialyce, Moderator (last edited Aug 08, 2012 05:15AM) (new)

Marialyce | 1769 comments Please nominate a lesser known Victorian author for or September read. This thread will close in four days. Thank you!

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily (Joy1) | 1002 comments Frances Trollope -- mother of Anthony Trollope

I'm not expecting a "win" with this nomination, since it looks like it may be hard to get copies of Mrs. Trollope's work except as Kindle downloads. Still, I wanted to bring her name and work to us. Widow Barnaby was brought to my attention this weekend in the interview of Sylvia Nasar (well-known for the best seller A Beautiful Mind, biography of mathematician John Nash) in the NYT Book Review:

“What was the last truly great book you read? Do you remember the last time you said to someone, ‘you absolutely must read this book’?

Widow Barnaby , by Frances Trollope, a deliciously witty satire about a vulgar, heartless, outrageously flirtatious widow of a village pharmacist who poses as a lady of great fortune. Beribboned and bedizened, Martha Barnaby drags her beautiful but penniless niece from watering hole to watering hole in her hunt for a rich second husband. The angelic Agnes dutifully complies when forced to wear the same hideous black gown every day for months, while acting as her aunt’s personal maid. And I loved Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson, about two aging lovers whom children and relatives try to boss around.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/boo...

Caution: If you avoid all early hints at plot, you may want to skip the latter part of this review.

The following is from an online review (link below):

"The Widow Barnaby is a delightful story published in 1838 by the mother of Anthony Trollope, who lived from 1779-1863. Women writers of that era are often passed over, not being considered 'classic' authors because of the social mores of the day. However, you will not want to miss out on this gem of a story.

"This is considered one of her best works, and with good reason! It is replete with interesting characters and an unpredictable plot. (view spoiler)

"What I enjoyed about this novel (and haven't divulged here) were the character descriptions. With its emphasis on inheritances, manners and ridiculous characters, there are similarities to the much-beloved Pride and Prejudice, which was published only 25 years before this. Expect numerous descriptions of period styles and finery. And you will get ample use out of your Kindle dictionary, as some uncommon words are used. As the Regency period is said to have ended in 1837 but this seems to have regency aspects to it, I am calling it 'post-Regency.'

"This book seems to be edited reasonably well and reads nicely on the Kindle. All in all, a great free Kindle find, and I can't wait to finish the other two novels in the series!"

Review by CarsPlants on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Widow-Barnaby-V...

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily (Joy1) | 1002 comments Lily wrote: "Frances Trollope -- mother of Anthony Trollope
...Still, I wanted to bring her name and work to us. ..."

I just checked our bookshelf to see if any of her writings are on it. I did not find any, although several of her son's, of course!

message 7: by Denise, Moderator (last edited Aug 12, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Widow Barnaby (other topics)
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Meredith (other topics)
George Gissing (other topics)
Frances Trollope (other topics)
Charles Kingsley (other topics)
Emily Eden (other topics)