The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

Did anyone else wonder....? (spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen Why the Giver and Jonas didn't plan on waiting longer to send him off at the end?
I know the situation with Gabriel came up (and by the way, saw that coming from page 1), so he had to act right away. Not factoring that in, since they didn't know about that ahead of time.

But why wouldn't the Giver have planned to give Jonas all of(or at least most of) his memories so that when he left, the people would know everything and have to deal with it? Rather than just the little bit that he was able to accumulate in a year.

S.L. Wallace I don't think the people would have been able to handle more than that. A year's worth of memories was a shock in and of itself.

message 3: by Kristen (last edited Aug 08, 2012 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen Well, I think they could have. Just probably wouldn't have thought they could.
But I kind of thought it wouldn't accomplish much this way. The society went on just the same after that last girl was killed and they had to deal with her memories. Basically they were unpleasant, so they just forgot about them after a while because there wasn't that much to forget about. And I feel like it would have been relatively the same thing in this situation given the fact that Jonas didn't have that much time with the Giver either.

Emily Jonas has a year worth of memories but Rosemary only had 5 weeks before she killed herself. So, I think, the society won't be able to just forget the memories they'll get after jonas' departure.

Julia And the Giver didn't give Rosemary many painful memories, if any (haven't read the book super recently, so not entirely sure). So along with more time with the Giver, Jonas also received many bad memories.

Inês i think that the Giver didn't give jonas all the memories because of two things: first, if giver gave jonas all of his memories jonas would be Desgastado (i can't rememberthe english word for this, i think its almost "ruined") buy the memories, and would not suport the big journey he had to face

2nd - Since he is the eldest pesron in that society, ok not the eldest but the one that knows a lot of things, and people don't know what to do in times of desperation, they need the devices of Him to help them guide for the best way

(my pointo of view)

Laszlo The memories would come too quickly.

Natalia Inês wrote: "i think that the Giver didn't give jonas all the memories because of two things: first, if giver gave jonas all of his memories jonas would be Desgastado (i can't rememberthe english word for this,..."

worn out is the word.

Inês Natalia wrote: "Inês wrote: "i think that the Giver didn't give jonas all the memories because of two things: first, if giver gave jonas all of his memories jonas would be Desgastado (i can't rememberthe english w..."
thank you very much :)

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee The Giver was kind in what he gave to Jonas. He had to give pain but he tried to balance with the good. The very idea for the escape was not well or long thought out but more of a desperate act. This was their only real chance because this is not a job but a lifetime responsibility. With that being said, the giver I believe needed to keep much of what he had because he would have an entire community to coach. These people are unwilling receivers so he will be like a lone teacher in a violent classroom. He needs to quickly be able to diffuse all confusion before he is released willingly or unwillingly.

message 11: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa Did anyone wonder what that little village was at the end?

Laszlo It is revealed in the follow up books: Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son.

Kristen Gaby wrote: "Did anyone wonder what that little village was at the end?"

I just figured that was a set up for the next book.
I was wrong...but I guess it's probably something from the third or fourth.

Kristen Laszlo wrote: "It is revealed in the follow up books: Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son."

I didn't see the relevance in Gathering Blue to anything in the Giver. I don't think I have the patience for the next two books.
Anyone know where I can just find a summary of them? I'm curious to know what happens, just not curious enough to actually read the books, lol

Or if someone wants to give a summary of the most important points...that'd be great :)

Laszlo It actually is revealed in the second book; (view spoiler).

Kristen I kinda figured about Jonas and the other village since he wasn't in GB. But I'm a little confused. Wasn't the village that Jonas found at the end of Giver, more modern with real houses and stuff?
Maybe I just guessed that much...

See now, that's one thing I really didn't like about the Giver. It's not presented as fantasy, but the element of magic is integral to the story.

Laszlo Not necessarily. You could argue that the abilities were created by the officials in order to maintain recording of history. Since you could also say that everyone is born in a "test tube" in the Giver universe, you can figure that every once in a while, a certain chemical is added to the tube in order to give the babies powers.

Laszlo Kristen wrote: "I kinda figured about Jonas and the other village since he wasn't in GB. But I'm a little confused. Wasn't the village that Jonas found at the end of Giver, more modern with real houses and stuff? ..."

Nothing is modern, really.

Kristen Laszlo wrote: "Not necessarily. You could argue that the abilities were created by the officials in order to maintain recording of history. Since you could also say that everyone is born in a "test tube" in the G..."

It never says that people are born as test tube babies. If I'm remembering right, Birth mother is one of the jobs they assign to the girls. So, babies would be born in the usual way.

Well, a chemical that can give magical abilities isn't in existence, so it's still fantasy and doesn't fit into a realistic story. I can accept unrealistic ideas in a fictional story, but I need a plausible explanation of where/how those things came about.

Laszlo Not necessarily. Louise Brown was the first baby to have survived being created in a test-tube. It have to give magical abilities; perhaps it taps into the gray matter.

message 21: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa It was in gathering blue. You see jonas and gabriel may not have been mentioned but the village they found was. One of the characters (matt) said that he found a village full of (broken) people. Full of people who cared for eachother and who were nice to each other.
That village must have been the village that Jonas and gabriel now reside in.

message 22: by Rose (last edited Apr 30, 2013 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose Kristen wrote: "Laszlo wrote: "Not necessarily. You could argue that the abilities were created by the officials in order to maintain recording of history. Since you could also say that everyone is born in a "test..."

But the book doesn't talk about "Birth Fathers" , so there was a baster involved somewhere. Which makes you wonder how they acquire semen from men with no sexual urges whatsoever and how they explain it to a people who refer to sex rather ominously as Stirrings.

Kristen Laszlo wrote: "Not necessarily. Louise Brown was the first baby to have survived being created in a test-tube. It have to give magical abilities; perhaps it taps into the gray matter."

That's still fantasy.

Kristen Rose wrote: "But the book doesn't talk about "Birth Fathers" , so there was a baster involved somewhere. Which makes you wonder how they acquire semen from men with no sexual urges whatsoever and how they explain it to a people who refer to sex rather ominously as Stirrings. "

Maybe it was part of another job. I mean, really a 'birth father' doesn't have alot to do, while a birth mother would be committed for quite a while.
As far as the no sexual urges, all they would have to do is stop taking their pill for a while and then start up again.

But thinking about it does raise alot of questions about inbreeding....hmmmm...

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)
Gathering Blue (other topics)
Messenger (other topics)
Son (other topics)
More...