☀Ignite Your Creativity☀ discussion

General Writing Competitions > WTW Competition 5 - 12 August 2012

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The theme for this week is you must include the following ten words, in order, in your piece. It can be about anything and it can be any length, but must include the following ten words in order. Plese bold the words, too.

Night
English
Haunted
Dinner
Sorrow
White
Glassy
Castle
Disheartened
Forever

ALL ENTRIES MIST BE IN YOUR COMMENT, NOT A LINK TO WRITING ELSEWHERE.

KEEP IT PG-13.

CLOSES ON AUGUST 12.

Good luck :)

message 2: by Aria (last edited Aug 08, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Aria Ahmer (ViraMage) | 55 comments :) enjoy!
Poor Uncle Tom
It was night in the English old country. Together the family sat in the old haunted house enjoying and eating their dinner . Sorrow filled them all for a family member had died. That is the ghost who haunts the old house. Only the small girl can see the white , transparent, pale ghost. The ghost's face appeared turning into a fixed glassy grin.

Uncle Tom was the ghost. When he was still breathing he lived in a huge castle . He was disheartened after finding out he had cancer. He knew he would not live on forever . He didn't pay for medical treatment and felt it was time for him to die. And now we sit here at the table praying for him and hoping he is all right.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Great! :D

MORE PEOPLE ENTER

message 4: by Aria (new)

Aria Ahmer (ViraMage) | 55 comments :D thanks! its short though xD

message 5: by Katie (last edited Aug 11, 2012 02:58AM) (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) | 75 comments Graduation Blues

“I don’t want to go home yet,” Sarah said. It was the middle of the night but she was far from tired.

“Where do you get your energy, girl?” Lila asked.

“She snorts coke,” Mel said. Sarah elbowed her in the ribs.

It was a balmy June night in Templeton, Ohio. The girls were sprawled out on the grass in the town square and looking up at the stars. They stared up at the void silently, each lost in her own thoughts. It was the night of Sarah’s high school graduation party.

Mel sat up suddenly. “Where’s the bag from the grocery store?”

The girls had ditched the party to make a midnight run to the grocery store. Somewhere along the way, they'd ended up at the town square.

“In the car, I think,” Sarah said. She didn’t get up.

“Those English muffins are calling my name. Gimme your keys,” Mel said.

Sarah grumbled as she got up. “I’ll go get them. I want the pop anyway.”

Lila sat up as well to watch her go. She looked back at Mel. “You know she thinks her car is haunted. She thinks it’ll attack if anyone but her tries to use it.”

Mel rolled her eyes. “She’s such a nut. You could believe it, just look at her car. It’s falling apart.”

Sarah bounded back over to them and sat down cross-legged. She pulled each item out of the canvas bag one-by-one. English muffins, Diet Coke, a couple chocolate bars, chips, and the one attempt at healthy food: apples. Lila looked on warily as Mel tore into the bag of muffins.

“I don’t understand how you can eat,” Lila said. “We gorged ourselves at dinner.”

“You might have heard of people like me,” Mel said. “They say that we have a hollow leg. Well, I’ve actually got two hollow legs. You wouldn’t believe how much food it takes to keep me full.”

Lila rolled her eyes at the pun. She lay back to lean on her elbows. Sarah opened the two-liter of Diet Coke and took a swig.

“See, I told you she did Coke,” Mel said, laughing.

Sarah smiled in return, but there was an edge of sorrow to it. She put the drink down and breathed in deeply. “Guys…” Mel and Lila both looked at her, waiting for Sarah to continue. Her skin glowed white under the streetlights. “We’re all going away in the fall. What happens then?”

Mel squirmed. “We’re just going off to school. We’ll see each other again at Christmas. Sooner if we go see you on Halloween.”

Sarah was going to a party school whose Halloween festivities were notoriously hedonistic. Sarah shook her head and looked away. Her eyes were glassy with tears. “I just…prom was perfect. And now it feels like everything has been downhill after that.”

“’Castle in the Sky.’ Can’t get much better than that,” Lila said wryly. Most people were not impressed with their prom theme but Sarah was the exception. She was in love with everything about prom.

Sarah’s shoulders slumped; she looked so disheartened. Mel sat up and pasted a bright smile on her face.

“Hey, what’s to be sad about? We’re going to be friends forever, college is not going to change that,” Mel said.

Sarah looked up at Lila and Mel. By their faces, she knew they were right. She smiled back weakly and took another swig of Diet Coke.

message 6: by Alessia (new)

Alessia (ufostrawberry) They always come back eventually, whether it during the night or day, they always do. And when they do it’s never pretty. They aren’t the heroes people say they are after their drunken nights traveling from one city to the next. Their English words that are usually familiar and meaningful are slurred and almost in comprehendible. For weeks they're the talk of the town. Though, they themselves never talk to anyone but with each other. Once they did… The results haunted them in their dreams for decades. The story is now told at the group’s dinner every night, a new ritual. They let their sorrow over take their need for a social life.
For hundreds of years their story has been told, passed from town to town by word of mouth. The group, including 3 men, 3 woman and 2 children, have been around since their story was first told. Despite their age there really wasn’t any physical evidence of it (except for a strand of white hair here and there among the adults). They’ve watched the world age. Perhaps that is the answer to their wisdom.
When they pass through towns bringing supplies, they don’t just guarantee a few more years to live. They bring hope, causing woman’s eyes to start getting flooded with tears (even the men’s start to get glassy when they pass through town).
One day a few villagers have the same thought, how may I show the appreciation of thousands of people to these magnificent few? . A few thought about building a huge monument or a building for them to live in like a castle . They reached out to the group explaining their ideas to them. They humbly refused each one (without actually speaking), leaving the hopeful villages disheartened .
This continues on as the group continues spreading love and hope to villages, towns and cities overrun by darkness. Their story was being spread by millions, every detail staying the same, nobody daring to change it even in the slightest bit.
The group was thankful for this because as long as their story lives, the group will never age. How? Nobody has ever figured out. Why they did this? People like to think it’s out of the goodness of their hearts but others are not so sure. The people, though, were grateful so they did not ponder on these thoughts for long. The group’s secrets were never revealed. Their faces never grew wrinkles; the children never grew up to be adults. It was like they were stuck in their own time. One that was different than ours, one that never moved forward or backwards, one that was frozen forever .

message 7: by Pirl, The Awesome One (last edited Aug 09, 2012 12:39PM) (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) | 1745 comments Mod
Haunted
It was night and the English man was sitting in the sitting room. He felt like he was haunted, like someone was watching him.
He heard the bell ring, and the call: "Dinner's ready!"
So he gathered his sorrow and went down to the kitchen. His face was white, almost transparent - glassy, if you may - because he was afraid. Castle was on the TV, full volume, and he requested it'd be turned off. The same lady who had called him down to dinner hurried to answer all his requests - it was her job, after all. Her skin was just as pale as his.
He watched her, but, disheartened, he had already known it was a lost cause; the ghost - it was keeping it on.
There was so much happening. How could just make it all - stop. Make it all stop. So the man, afraid, did the one thing he swore never to do.
And there was one thing left to say: Forever.

----

I know, it sucks.
Get over it.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) | 75 comments It doesn't suck, I rather liked it. You were very creative while working within the confines of the prompt.

message 9: by Aria (new)

Aria Ahmer (ViraMage) | 55 comments i dont like it when people say their writing sucks :c its kind of wanting people to take pity on your writing it was good! dont down it

message 10: by Pirl, The Awesome One (new)

I love my writing. That was way low on my usual scale.
Maybe that tells you something.

message 11: by Aria (new)

Aria Ahmer (ViraMage) | 55 comments well it was good no need to say it sucks :DDD

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This competition closes at midnight tonight. Tomorrow I am gonna judge! :)

message 13: by Pirl, The Awesome One (new)

Cool pic Sarah.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Merci (:

message 15: by Pirl, The Awesome One (new)

BTW as my 13th is two hours before you and who knows how long before the rest of the people here, an I'm the judge of the next competition, when do I create the topic?
Also sorry for not commenting on my RPs. I've been too busy to do more than one group, so I'm focusing on this one until school starts and I can relax again. :P I'm the only person I know who can say that.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Just create the top when it is the thirteenth for you. And when you wake up, or get on the computer or if you're still up. It doesn't have to be that strict :P
And that's okay. To be quite honest I'm not roleplaying as much as I used to... I go on Wattpad more now :/ Haha yes I think you're the only person I know who's ever said that.

message 17: by Pirl, The Awesome One (new)

:P creating it now

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) | 75 comments When will the results be announced?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm really sorry, I've got a lot going on. I started judging then got distracted by something. Hold on a sec.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah THIS WAS SO HARD TO JUDGE! But I sort of managed... They were all AMAZING. I think they were all so creative and original.

1st: Katie
2nd: Alessia
3rd: Pirl
4th: Aria

Congratulations! :D

unread topics | mark unread