A Prayer for Owen Meany A Prayer for Owen Meany discussion

It sounds like a movie I saw with Jim Carey?

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Does anyone know if there is a movie from this book?

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Velardi Yes, it's called Simon Birch with Ashley Judd. I think Jim Carey was in it as well. It was very different from the book but was based on it.

Amelia It was VERY different from the book. I recommend the book highly, was disappointed in the movie.

Greg Please, please, PLEASE do not substitute the movie "Simon Birch" for reading John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany." Irving felt that the movie's script diverged from the novel so much that he requested all of the characters names be changed. See http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/2053

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" deserves a full read. It is one of Irving's best novels, beautifully written and almost perfectly structured in a way that you can't even appreciate until the final scenes tie the diverse narrative together in a surprising and elegant package.

Melissa This book is amazing! It's funny, it's sad, it's human, it's weird. It's full of strange characters like all of John Irving's books. About the fifth time I read it, I started dream-casting the movie...too bad the people who made Simon Birch didn't consult me!

Riley Johnson Though Simon Birch runs along a similar parallel as Owen Meany, John Irving refused to give up the naming rights because he didn't believe that the book could properly be adapted. If you were to read the novel, and then watch Simon Birch, you would see that the characters of Owen and Simon are only alike in eerily presence, and height. The book also spans the life of Owen, and the movie uses Simon as a background character to a plot that was a mere subplot in the book. So, in my opinion, there is no movie based upon this novel. There is only a movie that copied a fraction of the book's plot, and used it as a vehicle for Ashley Judd's career.

message 7: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Paulk I would have to agree with Irving in the difficulty of picking up some of Owen's subtle nuances on the big screen. How would we know his thoughts. How would the nativity scene/embarassment be enacted? Everything tied so well in the book that it would seem highly difficult to translate it....as "Simon Birch" showed.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Owen Meany is one of three books I would need on a desert island. It is totally engaging and resonates long after you're finished.

Laurna Jim Carey narrated as the adult.

Cheryl Thank you! There is good to get from this, such as this information. This book was soo much, I can't imagine a movie getting that level Irving's writing does. Can't wait to see it!!

Staci i understand why the movie was adapted as it was. find the adult actor to match up to that kid! anyway i loved both. i cried equally. beautiful.

Leshawn I'm with you Susan, I would need this book on a desert island. It is perfect in every way!
Perfect character development, perfect plot development, perfect title, perfect symbolism!

message 13: by Debbi (last edited Jun 17, 2011 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbi 20 years ago a friend turned me on to this book as a "must read." I'll admit, I struggled in the beggining and wondered what she found so appealing -- I thought it was quirky and slow moving but I pushed on. OMG! This is one of the BEST books I have ever read and the way it all came together in the end. One of the things I really enjoyed IS how it all seemed unrelated at first and then Irving not only pulled it all together but he did it in a way that wasn't sloppy or lazy, like many of today's authors. It wasn't just a slap-together job of combining the pieces that left you feeling a little betrayed or let down because it "could have been done better" or didn't fully delve into the material. You felt like not only was Irving building on this the whole time BUT that Owen Meany just KNEW he was supposed to be this person as an adult. He was quirky of course but you got a sense that he fully understood the BIG PICTURE.

I didn't ever see the movie and maybe will one day but with the understanding that it is only modeled after the characters.

Elyse One of my all time favorite books and I wish they would publish it as an ebook & it would be on my nook always ready to reread whenever & where ever.

Wayne Absolutely a masterpiece

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my all time favorites. I would judge people by their opinion of it. If a person doesn't like this book, they are not anyone with whom I choose to develop a relationship. There something deep and personal about it and I think I will read it again.
The only books I have read twice are:
Gone with the wind
Anna Karenina
Lonesome Dove
I am new here but it looks like I don't have a problem with having opinions!!!
The movie was mildly amusing but the casting was great.

message 17: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray brilliant book - one of my faves

made as film Simon Burch, which is my sons name

spooky

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Lute Melissa wrote: "This book is amazing! It's funny, it's sad, it's human, it's weird. It's full of strange characters like all of John Irving's books. About the fifth time I read it, I started dream-casting the m..."

I always dream-cast books, too. LOL And Robin Williams was certainly NOT my Garp.

Louise one of my faves too....
I'm desperately trying to put off ever reading it again, in case it doesnt measure up......

cant imagine it ever being adapted well, so have stayed clear of the tv film.....

Michael Anson This book is both amazing and awesome. There was a movie made out of this story, but author John Irving hated the film so much that he insisted the film producers rename it which they did. It's called, "Simon Birch." It takes several liberties with the storyline, and falls far, far short of the reach and appeal of the book. My recommendation is that you avoid the film and stick with the book

Chris Susan wrote: " Owen Meany is one of three books I would need on a desert island. It is totally engaging and resonates long after you're finished.
"

What are the other 2?

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin W I think part of what makes this book so unfilmable is that it covers such a long expanse of time, and both the main characters grow from young boys to men. Also a movie that tried to have the scope this novel has would need to be 10 hours long.

In my opinion, the only successful movie made from an Irving novel is The Cider House Rules, the one he scripted himself. He shrunk the events down from about twenty years to about two years.

Margot Melissa wrote: "This book is amazing! It's funny, it's sad, it's human, it's weird. It's full of strange characters like all of John Irving's books. About the fifth time I read it, I started dream-casting the m..."

One of my favorites...it changed me..

Margot John Irving is an incredible writer...he always seems to weave into his stories a lesson..what you take from that lesson is up to you. His characters are rich, his stories are haunting.

message 25: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori some day I am going to read Owen meany all the way through. It does look good. but I need the time to devote to it since it is a longer to read book. I liked Simon Birch.it is similar to Owen Meany. but not exactly. i remember Jim Carey being the narrator of the movie.

Christine I was surprised by how much I loved this book. I enjoy lengthy novels, but this was my first Irving so I didn't know what to expect. The novel did stay true to Owen's emphasis on the Big Picture. The novel also sustained in me a humming suspense of what happened. When I tied it all in in my head I didn't want to go on reading for fear and dread. The balance between the adult and adolescent narratives prevent the novel from becoming too much of a commentary on war. Made me reconsider studying history again, it did.

David W. I enjoyed Irving's classical style. This book requires a quiet time to enjoy the development of the characters and Johnny's relationship with Owen Meany. I had read Cider House Rules, so I knew Irving would tie all of the plot points together eventually.

Kristi I loved the movie Simon Birch. I didn't like the book so much until it was getting to the end. It was overlong and tedious at times and I really struggled with it at times but it was good

Susan Greg wrote: "Please, please, PLEASE do not substitute the movie "Simon Birch" for reading John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany." Irving felt that the movie's script diverged from the novel so much that he req..."

I completely agree with you and never even saw the movie.

message 30: by S (new)

S The film only covers the first half of the book, but still has the same ending. This worked in the 1939 film of Wuthering Heights, but not with John Irving. The film "The Door in the Floor" also only covers the first half of Irving's novel A WIDOW FOR ONE YEAR

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Prayer for Owen Meany (other topics)