2015 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 Member Corners > Kelsi's Corner

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments This is where I will post all the challenges I'm attempting and update my yearly goal challenge!

message 2: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 21, 2012 07:22AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Yearly Read Challenge: I Spy Challenge

This one looks so fun! Count me in.

1. Color: The Color Purple
2. Number: Fahrenheit 451
3. Things That Grow: The Tea Rose
4. 4 Seasons: The Winter Rose
5. First Name: Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen 2/5
6. Places: Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
7. Body Part:Madame Bovary: 150th Anniversary (ovary counts!)
8. Weapon: The Knife of Never Letting Go
9. Body of Water:The Sea of Monsters
10. Form of Water:
11. Product of Fire:The Lightning Thief 5/5
12. Heavenly Body:East of Eden
13. Architecture:The Yellow House: A Novel
14. 5 Senses:Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
15. Royal Title: A Clash of Kings 5/5
16. Family Member:A Reliable Wife 4/5
17. 4 Elements:
18. Time of Day: The Night Circus 3/5
19. Metal: The Silver Chair ***
20. Emotion/Feeling: In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin 5/5
21. Animal/Insect: The Tiger's Wife
22. Something to Read:Food Rules: An Eater's Manual 5/5
23. Gender Identifier:Little Women
24. Paranormal Being:A Discovery of Witches
(Added)
25. Occupation: The Book Thief

23/25 so far.

Monthly Read Challenges
July
Three Cheers for July **COMPLETED**

August

Cover Challenge
Goal: 7-8 Books!
Starting August 1st

1. Read a book with a mostly pink cover or one that has flowers on it.
The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly****CHECK!
2. Read a book with a mostly brown cover or one with an animal on it.
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness*****CHECK
3. Read a book with a mostly blue cover or one with water (in any form) on it.
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #4) by C.S. Lewis *****CHECK
4. Read a book with a mostly black cover or one with a moon on it.
Cleopatra  A Life by Stacy Schiff*******CHECK
5. Read a book with a mostly green cover or one with trees on it.
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin
6. Read a book with a mostly white cover or one with a dress on it
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick*******CHECK
]7. Read a book with mostly yellow cover or one with a sun on it.
The Yellow House  A Novel by Patricia Falvey******CHECK
8. Read a book with a mostly purple cover or one with food/drink on it.
Food Rules  An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan***CHECK

Challenge Completed: 7/8 done

Firsts Mini Challenge
1. Read a book that's first in a series
The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly
2. Read the first book on your GR to-read list (the one that is in position #1 on your list).
Cleopatra  A Life by Stacy Schiff
3. Read a book where a first kiss takes place between the protagonists.
The Yellow House  A Novel by Patricia Falvey
4. Read a book where a first of something happens--be creative! This could be a YA story where the protagonists fall in love for the first time, a crime novel where the protagonist sees his first dead body, a fantasy story where the protagonist goes on a journey to a different world for the first time, etc.
Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia Many of the Old Narnians get to see myths and stories brought to real life for the first time when Aslan and other magical creatures return to help.
Challenge Completed: 4/4

message 3: by Kelsi (last edited Oct 11, 2012 08:49PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments New book that completes two requirements. kaching! Food Rules  An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

Fulfills I Spy Challenge for #22 Something to read (Manual) and my cover challenge for #8. Same author, but different book.

message 4: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments August Group Buddy Read completed! The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly It also counts for the I Spy Challenge as #3, Things that Grow, my cover hunt challenge for #1, Something with a flower on it, and #1 of the August Firsts Mini Challenge.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (natlaw) I love finding books that fit so many challenge criteria!

message 6: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments I know!

Just finished another one..Prince Caspian. Counts for Finish Those Series, and the Cover Challenge.

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (natlaw) Nice!

message 8: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Another down. Fulfills cover hunt challenge for yellow cover and Firsts Mini Challenge for a first kiss.

The Yellow House  A Novel by Patricia Falvey

message 9: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Another down--will update posts later. This serves as a reminder :)

Need to update I Spy, and Cover Challenge.
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 11: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2833 comments That's a really good idea, Kelsi! I might have to copy you. :)

message 12: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick--Fulfills Cover Challenge for dress and I Spy Challenge for Family Member.

Highly recommend this book. Dark, twisted, romantic, Entirely not what I expected. 4/5 stars. Very fast read.

message 13: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Kara wrote: "That's a really good idea, Kelsi! I might have to copy you. :)"

That's okay, because I really like your idea where you list your Must Reads each month. I'm definitely copying you this month!

message 14: by Kelsi (last edited Sep 30, 2012 08:21PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Must Reads-September
A Storm of Swords-George R. R. Martin. carried over to Oct.
Anna Karenina-Leo Tolstoy carried over to Oct
The Perks of Being a Wallflower-Stephen Chbosky
Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
East of Eden-John Steinbeck carried over to Oct.

message 15: by Kelsi (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments September's Industry Challenge

1. Agriculture: Read a book that has something that grows on its cover or in its title
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower

2. Apparel: Read a book that has an article of clothing on its cover (alone, not on a person) or that has a protagonist who prides him or herself on being fashionable
Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5) by Sophie Kinsella

4. Banking/Lending: Read a book that you borrowed from a friend or the library
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

8. Healthcare/Pharmaceuticals: Read a book that makes you feel good when you’re down (state why it makes you feel good)
Shopaholic and Sister (Shopaholic, #4) by Sophie Kinsella

10. News: Read a book that centers around an event that made headlines or, if it’s a historic event, is in the history books (state what event it is)
Famous Women by Giovanni Boccaccio Boccaccio
Full of historical events!

Completed 9/30: 5/5

message 16: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments 4th Quarter Spell Out Challenge--Characters
Completed December 28, 2012

S:A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
C:The Passage by Justin Cronin
A:Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria by Sigmund Freud
R:A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
L:The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
E:East of Eden by John Steinbeck
T:The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
T Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

O:On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
H:Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
A: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
R The Roman Triumph by Mary Beard
A:The Formation of American Local Governments: Private Values in Public Institutions by Nancy Burns

&

R:The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnely
H: The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts
E:A Wind in the Door by Madeline L'Engle
T:Priceless: My Journey Through a Life of Vice by Charlie Daniels
T:A Swiftly Tilting Planet

B: The Last Battle by CS Lewis
U:Dead Until Dark
T:The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
L: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
E:The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
R:The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riorden
24/24

message 17: by Kelsi (last edited Oct 31, 2012 07:02PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Halloween Challenge
Oct 1-31 Finished on Halloween :)

1. Witch: Read a book that contains magic OR read a non-fiction book about witches or alchemy
*** The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch
2. Vampire: Read a book about vampires OR read a book written over 20 years ago that is still popular today
**** Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy, published in 1877
3. Ghost: Read a spooky book OR read a book in which someone important to the main character has died
***** The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
4. Skeleton: Read a book in which lots of people die OR read a book by an author who has passed away
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin
5. Devil: Read a book that's the 6th in a series OR read a book from this banned books list: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/b...
*** The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4) by C.S. Lewis
6. Mummy: Read a historical fiction book OR read a book published at least 100 years ago
*** Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

7. Alien: Read a science fiction book OR read a non-fiction book about a subject completely alien to you
*** Priceless  My Journey Through a Life of Vice by Charlie Daniels It's about prostitution, something I have no experience with.
8. Murderer: Read murder mystery novel OR read a book in which the main characters dreams are killed in some way
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Completed: 8/8

message 18: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:13AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments 4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge
October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover OR has a witch as a character.

2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book with a Red cover OR has a character running from something.
*****The Passage

3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book with an Orange cover OR has a character who is being stalked.
**Priceless: My Journey Through a Life of Vice. The main character is stalked numerous times.

4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book with a Purple cover OR a book who has a character who is murdered.
*****And Then There Were None

5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover OR a book who has a character with mental problems.
*****A Storm of Swords. Lysa, the aunt of the Starks, exhibits signs of a disorder.

6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover OR a book that takes place in “hot” weather.
The Winter Rose Black Cover AND it takes place in hot weather!

7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book with a Brown cover OR has werewolves as characters.
***The Sea of Monsters

8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover OR a book with ghosts in it.
The Perfect Hope

9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover OR a book with a “Frankenstein” personality. (Or read the book Frankenstein)
***Frankenstein

10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover OR a book about zombies.
*****Steve Jobs (Gray/White cover)
November Songs:

1. Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter: Read a book about family gathering together.
*****East of Eden by John Steinbeck

2. Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant: Read a book about people giving generously to others.
***A Wind in the Door

3. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong: Read a feel good book published in the country you live in.
**A Swiftly Tilting Planet

4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole: Read a book about something you are thankful for. If not obvious from the title, let us know what it is.
***The Formation of American Local Governments: Private Values in Public Institutions

5. Thank You for the Music by ABBA: Read a book with music in it OR a book with a celebration.
***Mini Shopaholic

6. Thanks for My Child by Cheryl Pepsii Riley: Read a book about a single mother taking care of her children.
****Anna Karenina Anna is technically a single mother.

7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh OR has a turkey on the cover.
***Madame Bovary: 150th Anniversary. Some of the sex scenes that are alluded to are downright hilarious.

8. Thank you by Dido: Read a book where the characters are going through trials but still stay close in their relationships.
*****The Book Thief

9. Thankful by Kelly Clarkson: Read a romance book OR a book about soul mates.
***Never Seduce a Scot

10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Read a book about sisters OR a book with dancing in it.
***On Dublin Street
December Songs:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book with snow on the cover OR a book with 1,9, or 4 in the page numbers.
***The Roman Triumph 434 pages

2. Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry: Read a book with a deer on the cover OR a book with 9 and 5 in the page numbers.
**Dead Until Dark 292 pages

3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Read a book where something unexpected happens OR a book with 5 or 2 in the page numbers.
***The Lies of Locke Lamora

4. Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms: Read a book with a bell on the cover OR a book with 5 and 7 in the page numbers.
***Perfume: The Story of a Murderer 255 pages

5. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee: Read a book with a Christmas Tree on the cover OR a book with a 5 or 8 in the page numbers.
***A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft

6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad OR a book with 6 and 4 in its page numbers.
**The Last Battle

7. Silver Bells by Johnny Mathis: Read a book where Silver or Bells is in the title OR a book with 5 or 0 in its page numbers.
****The Silver Chair

8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Read a book about Santa Claus OR a book with 5 and 3 in the page numbers.

9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol OR a book with 9, 1, 6 in the page numbers.
***The Good Earth 397 pages

10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home OR a book with 4 and 3 in the page numbers.
***The Merchant of Death

Completed: 28/30

message 19: by Kelsi (last edited Oct 31, 2012 07:04PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments October Goals

1. Anna Karenina-group read for Reading the Classics/Classics For Beginners Completed October 24
2. East of Eden-TBR twins from Sept. Completed Oct 2
3.A Vindication of the Rights of Woman-for class/paperCompleted Oct 7
4. A Storm of SwordsCompleted Oct. 10
5. Frankenstein-group readCompleted Oct. 11
6. The Book Thief Completed Oct. 14
7. And Then There Were None-TBR Twins Oct. Completed Oct. 23
8. The Lies of Locke Lamora-Buddy ReadsCompleted Oct. 30
9. The Woman in White-Group Read: Reading the Classics
10. The Silver Chair Completed Oct 31
11. Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria for class Completed Oct 3
I can do it!

message 20: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 800 comments Yay, you're reading The Casual Vacancy too! Just be warned: It is not Harry Potter at all! For the first 50 pages or so there are soo many swears and the some of the things happening are really sick :$

message 21: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Lilac wrote: "Yay, you're reading The Casual Vacancy too! Just be warned: It is not Harry Potter at all! For the first 50 pages or so there are soo many swears and the some of the things happening are really sic..."

Yes, I'm prepared. Rowling has been warning for ages that it is very adult geared. I should be getting it today or tomorrow, and I will start it after my test next week! Excited to talk to you about it!

message 24: by Kelsi (last edited Nov 23, 2012 01:46PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments November's History Challenge
Goal: 5/5 Completed November 23

2. Sagas: Read a book that follows a family or group of friends over a long period of time (a minimum of 20 years)
***** The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin
3. Time Warp: Read a book that involves time travel in some way
*** The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) by D.J. MacHale

5. HISTORY: Read a book where at least one of the author's initials can be found in the word "history"
**** Agricola and Germany (Oxford World's Classics) by Tacitus by Tacitus

6. Origins: The word "history" comes from Greek the ἱστορία (historia), meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation," so read a book with a mystery of some sort in it
The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7) by C.S. Lewis
Trying to figure out about the Tash, and the Ape..

7. The History of...: Read a nonfiction account of the history or the background of something (examples would be Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, Salt: A World History, or The Professor & the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity & the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary) OR a book (any kind of book) with the word "history" in its title
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

message 25: by Kelsi (last edited Nov 16, 2012 06:29AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Events in November Mini-Challenge
Goal: 0/2

1. American Education Week: Read a book where the main character is a teacher or a student OR tell us who your favorite teacher was in school and why.
The Passage

2. America Recycles Day: Read a book that is “green” in some way (printed on recycled paper, discusses environmental issues, or has a green cover) OR tell us about how you are being green.
I'm a vegetarian slowly transitioning into the vegan way of life. I eat local as much as possible.

3. Veteran’s Day (Remembrance Day): Read a book involving soldiers, veterans or war.

The Perfect Hope Civil War soldier/ghost

4. Event From Your Country: Tell us about an event occurring in your country in November OR (AND) read a book that has to do with that event in some way.

Completed 3/3

message 26: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Kelsi's December Mini Challenge
6/7

Peanut Brittle is my favorite Christmas treat, so I will just spell out BRITTLE!

B:Madame Bovary: 150th Anniversary
R: The Winter Rose
I
T:The Roman Triumph
T:A Swiftly Tilting Planet
L: The Formation of American Local Governments: Private Values in Public Institutions
E:The Good Earth

message 27: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 17, 2012 07:41PM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments Must Reads for December

I'm at 50 books currently, and want to reach 70. This will be a stretch, BUT I'm done with classes on December 14 which means the rest of the month I can read away!
1.A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth
2. The Brothers Karamazov
3. The Good Earth

message 28: by Kelsi (last edited Dec 21, 2012 07:25AM) (new)

Kelsi | 727 comments December Backwards Challenge
Goal: 11/19 books

1. Read a book about a place you have been, outside of your own country.
Perfume  The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (Paris)
2. Read a book with graphs in it.
The Formation of American Local Governments  Private Values in Public Institutions by Nancy Burns
3.Read a work of Chick Lit
Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6) by Sophie Kinsella
4. Read a book where love solves a problem.
A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) by Madeleine L'Engle
5. Read a historical nonfiction book that challenges current notions of thought.
The Roman Triumph by Mary Beard
6. Read a book that takes place in multiple countries
The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly (Antarctica, Britain and Kenya)
7. Read a book that has been made into a TV series.
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris
8. Read a book that is second in a series
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan
9. Read an Oprah's Book Club pick.
The Good Earth  by Pearl S. Buck
10. Read a book that involves time travel.
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle
11.Read a book in which a main character dies
Madame Bovary  150th Anniversary by Gustave Flaubert
12. Read a book about running.
Born to Run  A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall