A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #19) A River in the Sky discussion

Emerson...

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by gertt (last edited Aug 03, 2012 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

gertt Having heard and read many good things about the Amelia Peabody series, I was pleased to come across this book in my favorite Used Book Store.

Although I do enjoy Amelia and her telling of the story, I am greatly disappointed in Emerson. I certainly don't expect all 'heros' to be dashing and exciting, but I keep asking myself 'why would any intelligent woman saddle herself with such an arrogrant, self-serving, egotistical man, so lacking in manners and respect for others'.

I enjoy mysterious, and can accept stubborn, or even difficult, but Emerson's total lack of appeal has ruined this book and will prevent me from reading any others in this series.

message 2: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline This is why you should start reading a book from the beginning of the series. If you had started there you would understand Emerson's character and understand what Amelia sees in him. He is brash, egotistical and overbearing, but at the same time, has a heart of gold and is a champion of the weak and helpless.
What Amelia sees in him is his respect for her and that he treats her as an equal, not to mention, his deep love and admiration for her.

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I agree, the first book demonstrates how their relationship works :)

Kristi This is definitely a series that should be read in order. The first book lays the groundwork, but the story lines in the recent books wouldn't be nearly as meaningful without the development and history from the earlier books.

One of my all time favorite series!

message 5: by gertt (last edited Sep 02, 2012 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

gertt I'll reconsider and try the first book...and I'll keep an open mind, but how can you read books in order when they aren't even released in order?? A River in the Sky takes place prior to several other books in the series, but is the newest release.

I disagree that Emerson respects Amelia...he allows her to lead the way, but not without comment and he constantly berates her religious beliefs. I feel everyone has the right to believe and worship as they chose, but for a husband to continually point out the flaws in his wife's beliefs is not 'respect'.

I find Emerson arrogant, overbearing, and tiring. I'm sorry.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline Emerson has a right to his own beliefs and a right to speak freely, at least in my country. He doesn't keep her from attending church or celebrating religious holidays. Have you read the first books yet? You can usually find the older ones at used book stores or online.

Moonlight Emerson has his faults but he is one of the good ones. He treats people as they deserve based on their character. He treats his wife as an equal. He will not tolerate or mistreatment Egpytians by government, missionaries, or British citizens. He pays his staff a decent wage and trains them well. He sets high standards for his profession which protected historical evidence, artifacts and the cultural hertitage of Egypt all of which today is considered standard operating procedure. He is compassionate to the less fortunate. He protected his brother from bullies at school and from an abusive home life. He protects women, children, and animals from abuse. He took into his home and helped raise three children who were not his own (Nefret, David, and Sennia). Emerson is quite a hero even if he is a pain now and again.

message 8: by gertt (last edited Aug 29, 2012 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

gertt Jacqueline wrote: "Emerson has a right to his own beliefs and a right to speak freely, at least in my country...."

Absolutely agree, however...Amelia also has the right to worship and believe what she chooses without having those beliefs berated..esp. by her spouse.

Emerson may be basically a good person, but he is consistently arrogant and overbearing, which I found unappealing. Which was unfortunate because the book was well written, the story was interesting and I like Amelia, Nefret, David, Ramses and the others.

Barbara I really have a competely different take on Emerson -- and maybe it is from reading the books in order. (Yes, they're not always in order yearwise, but the author is purposefully letting readers glimpse into the future and past as part of her plots and overall series. So reading in order of publication is the best bet).
That said I ALWAYS took Emerson's comments to be very much in jest and loving teasing. And Amelia certainly pokes fun at him too. The very fact that he insists on having his wife work with him in a time when that was NOT the norm shows he's far more advanced than some of his bombastic pronouncements (which, again I think are uttered tounge-in-cheek and are not meant to be taken literally. The other characters certainly don't take them that way).
As for religion, he's not religious but does not stand in the way of his wife exercising hers or his workers different beliefs. They schedule their work week around the worker's Sabbath. So he's not religous, but I see that more as a man of science rejecting anything unproven, not as a bigot.
I'd say read the first book and see if your opinion changes.

message 10: by Gay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gay I agree that the books should be read in order of publication. You can see the characters grow and develope as people you would like to know. Especially as they mature and have children. I liked these people very much.

Tasula This series is actually a "tongue in cheek" romance- and Emerson's foibles are fodder for Amelia Peabody's "invigorating discussions", which someone else might call arguments. I love the early books especially hilarious passages such as these:- after Amelia finds a young woman (Evelyn) passed out in the street, demands of a corpulent onlooker, "Your coat sir, give it to me at once!... I will return it. A person of your excessive bulk should not wear such heavy clothing in any case." Or referring to her toddler son as "the creature". Her son (Ramses) is a total scamp and her efforts to list all the things he is forbidden to do are so funny. He always finds a loophole. The series is well worth reading.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A River in the Sky (other topics)