Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Horror Authors to Avoid?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 690) (690 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (MrFlyingJ) | 70 comments What horror authors would you avoid like the plague? (Or re-worded, your worst reading experiences in horror fiction?)

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Aug 01, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

Cathy | 186 comments That's so subjective! For me, the one Graham Masterton I read left me with no desire to read another. Ditto Michael Laimo and Ruby Jean Jensen.

message 3: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments The one Bentley Little and John Saul I read did not want to make me run out and get any more by either of them.

message 4: by Jon Recluse (last edited Aug 01, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 13164 comments Mod
Punish the Sinners turned me off John Saul permanently.

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments The Right Hand of Evil did the same thing for me.

message 6: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (MrFlyingJ) | 70 comments @Jon - I'm with you on John Saul...and unfortunately I will add Ramsey Campbell for the most part. I cannot seem to find anything I like--maybe Ancient Images, but that's a good day.

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

@Jeremy - I like Campbell in small doses. Have you read any of his short stories? People seem to like them better than his novels.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23494 comments I can't think of any author I'd totally boycott, although I wasn't a fan of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep, so I don't have a desire to seek him out at all.

Back when I was a teen and couldn't find much horror to read, I read a few John Sauls—Comes the Blind Fury, I think.

message 9: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (MrFlyingJ) | 70 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "@Jeremy - I like Campbell in small doses. Have you read any of his short stories? People seem to like them better than his novels."

Very good point. I think I remember the blogger for Too Much Horror Fiction and some of his fans saying the same thing. I will put that on the back burner.

message 10: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (MrFlyingJ) | 70 comments Tressa wrote: "I can't think of any author I'd totally boycott, although I wasn't a fan of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep, so I don't have a desire to seek him out at all.

Back when I was a teen and couldn't find muc..."

Man, for some reason, The Keep is the few books I like by Wilson. I think I read it as a kid sick in bed and bored so was happy for anything. The movie adaptation is just -well-not good but I like it anyway. Huh.

message 11: by Robbert (new)

Robbert I do not care for John Saul and Dean Koontz

message 12: by Chris (last edited Aug 01, 2012 02:15PM) (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Saul is just too 'light horror' for me, even though he's been writing novels for years (but for some reason hasn't published anything new in a long time) and I was disappointed in the last Ramsey Campbell novel I'd read about 5-6 years ago (the one set in a bookstore; had high hopes for it and thought it really fell flat) but I wouldn't say I'd never pick up another of his novels since I'd read him before. Probably any horror author writing about oh-poor-me vampires...

message 13: by Robbert (new)

Robbert I've read some of Saul's books in a row when I first got into horror fiction. They basically all had the same plot. To a certain degree the same thing can be said about Koontz.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Yeah, Koontz can be a bit formulaic but not nearly as so with others...and I am not familiar enough with Saul to say the same, since I think I last read one of his books maybe 20 years ago...

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 186 comments I agree that the Campbell in the bookstore, The Overnight, was pretty weak. He's written some of the scariest short fiction ever, though!

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Thanks, Cathy! Having been in the retail book bidness for a very long time, I really wanted this book to be better...and it wasn't...oh well.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4564 comments I wouldn't boycott any author, either. And that includes Stephanie Myer. I read the first Twilight book and that was enough for me, but I'm glad that there's still stuff out there getting young people to read.

I used to like John Saul and Dean Koontz, but I cannot read their newer stories. At all.

message 18: by Jon Recluse (new)

I read Stephanie Meyer's adult book,The Host.
I'm glad teens are reading, but cereal boxes must be more literary....

message 19: by Robbert (new)

Robbert The absolutely worst horror book I've ever had the misfortune to read was Deadweight by some joker called Robert Devereaux. Don't know what the Fangoria reviewer (the usually reliable Linda Marotta) and blurbers Dennis Etchison and Poppy Z. Brite were thinking but this book simply stunk!

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Wow, really? Devereaux isn't for everyone (I think I read Deadweight many years ago...don't really remember it, so there ya go) and PZB can be difficult to get through, especially if you have issues with homosexuality. I know Etchison is highly regarded by some as an editor but haven't read his fiction yet.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "I read Stephanie Meyer's adult book,The Host.
I'm glad teens are reading, but cereal boxes must be more literary...."

Heh...Jon read the Twilight author...heh...

message 22: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 10390 comments Mod
I used to love Dean Koontz-I thought Watchers was excellent. Now though, his stories have been too predictable for me. I do sort of like the character of Odd though, despite myself. : )

message 23: by Robbert (new)

Robbert Chris wrote: "Wow, really? Devereaux isn't for everyone (I think I read Deadweight many years ago...don't really remember it, so there ya go) and PZB can be difficult to get through, especially if you have issu..."
O no, I love those early PZB-books. That's why her blurb on this stinker baffled me so..

message 24: by Jon Recluse (new)

Chris wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I read Stephanie Meyer's adult book,The Host.

Heh...Jon read the Twilight author...heh..."

Been there, done that, got the irreversible brain damage to prove it!

message 25: by T.M. (new)

T.M. Calhoun (tmcalhoun) | 8 comments I can't stand Bentley Little. John Saul is very formulaic. His books all seem the same. Newer Dean Koontz novels aren't that good, but I also like the Odd Thomas novels for some reason.

message 26: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1698 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Chris wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I read Stephanie Meyer's adult book,The Host.

Heh...Jon read the Twilight author...heh..."..."

so THAT explains it! I knew Stephenie Myers was the devil!

message 27: by Jon Recluse (new)

Ardy wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Chris wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I read Stephanie Meyer's adult book,The Host.

Heh...Jon read the Twili..."

Stop dissing the Boss.

Oprah's got lawyers, y'know....

message 28: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1698 comments lol

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Tawnee wrote: "I can't stand Bentley Little. John Saul is very formulaic. His books all seem the same. Newer Dean Koontz novels aren't that good, but I also like the Odd Thomas novels for some reason."

The latest Odd Thomas novel, Odd Apocalypse, just came out this past Tuesday...

message 30: by Bob (new)

Bob (bolorkay) | 219 comments Based on the Bram Stoker winners for that year (1990?), I decided to read "The Manse" by Lisa Cantrell.
Needless to say I totally avoided the sequel. This book was filled with horror cliches.
This is rather sad, in a way because I don't this author has written much in the last few years... I guess horror was not Ms. Cantrell's cup of tea.

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4564 comments Oprah's got bigger weapons than lawyers. People disappear when she gets angry ...

message 32: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jason wrote: "Oprah's got bigger weapons than lawyers. People disappear when she gets angry ..."

"GET IN MY BELLY!!!"

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments ...and you wouldn't like her when she gets angry...she'll get Lou Ferrigno after you!

message 34: by Jon Recluse (new)

Chris wrote: "...and you wouldn't like her when she gets angry...she'll get Lou Ferrigno after you!"

She outweighs Lou.....

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4564 comments Say hello to my little friend

message 36: by Jon Recluse (new)

Zip your fly, Jason.....

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Jason wrote: "Say hello to my little friend"

Watching Scarface, as well, Jason?

Jon, you're too effing funny, you know that?

message 38: by Jon Recluse (new)

Chris wrote: "Jason wrote: "Say hello to my little friend"

Watching Scarface, as well, Jason?

Jon, you're too effing funny, you know that?"

Is that what that was?
I thought it looked like Al Pacino.....

That's what I hear, Chris.

message 39: by Renee (new)

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 202 comments I really dislike Myers.I found nothing new in her book the host. Sad thing is it is being made into a movie

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4564 comments Scarface is awesome!

message 41: by James (new)

James Everington | 70 comments I will resist the urge to leap to Ramsey Campbell's defence...

Koontz I agree with. I'd also add Shaun Hutson.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments Jason wrote: "Scarface is awesome!"

Yes, it is...one of Pacino's best!

message 43: by Charlene (new)

Is it Pacino week or something? We've seen all the Godfathers (or at least 1 and 2) and then Scarface last night. I just love Pacino.

Hi James! *waving*
Don't resist the urge! If you like Campbell, tell us why. : )
He has always been hit or miss with me. Is there one book in particular you would recommend?

message 44: by October (new)

October | 24 comments I actually really have liked the newer Koontz books but I wish he would write more about the Guy in fear nothing,I can't think of his name right now.but I geuss I should also say that I am a twilight fan lol so maybe my opion does nnot count. I can't really think of a author I won't read except john saul I have read a bunch of his books but only one have I liked.I think it was called darkness.

message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4174 comments October, Koontz recently released three Odd Thomas novellas as ebooks that all take place in Fort Wyvern, setting for the Christopher Snow novels you mentioned. Check out my reviews...

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments 77 Shadow St is the first Koontz book I just can't seem to get into. I am having the hardest time finishing it.

message 47: by James (new)

James Everington | 70 comments Hi Charlene - well I think he's a better short story writer than novelist. His first collection is a bit too obviously 'inspired' by Lovecraft; the next one, 'Demons By Daylight' is pretty great though. Or his 'best of' 'Alone With The Horrors' although as this is in chronological order again the first story not great unfortunately...

'The Companion' is often cited as one of his greatest stories.

message 48: by Jon Recluse (new)

James wrote: "Hi Charlene - well I think he's a better short story writer than novelist. His first collection is a bit too obviously 'inspired' by Lovecraft; the next one, 'Demons By Daylight' is pretty great th..."

I'll second that, James.
I was introduced to Campbell's work through his short stories.
And a little dose of Campbell goes a long way.....

message 49: by Cathy (last edited Aug 02, 2012 10:44AM) (new)

Cathy | 186 comments The Campbell stories I'd recommend starting with:

The Companion, definitely
Mackintosh Willie
The Interloper
Down There

Those are just the ones where I can remember the titles -- he's written tons of other great stories, like the Santa Claus one (and I hate "evil Santa" stories in general). He's also written a number of lazy, murky, or self-plagiarizing stories, but anyone that prolific can't be at the top of his game all the time.

Edit -- the story title is The Chimney.

message 50: by Charlene (new)

Thanks, all!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Punish the Sinners (other topics)
The Right Hand of Evil (other topics)
Ancient Images (other topics)
The Overnight (other topics)
The Host (other topics)