Book Junkies discussion

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
This topic is about Abraham Lincoln
Archives > August Group Read: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Group read for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith begins tomorrow! Post your thoughts and comments on this thread as you read along if you are participating!

I'm not going to be reading this one this month, but I will still participate in the thread discussion because I read this one earlier this year:D

I won't post any spoilers, promise!:P

Anik | 7 comments Good timing for me.

Will you be participating in the group read this month, Anik?

Hud-c | 436 comments Okay. I'm finally pushed to pick this again. Enjoy reading to those who will participate. :)

message 6: by Jey (new)

Jey | 23 comments Will definitely read it if I can get my hands on it.. Guess I'm going book shopping this weekend. :D

Book shopping!! My favorite pasttime.

Martha  (theshortone08) I think I'm picking up my copy at the library tomorrow. Excited for it though. Who will be reading it with me??

Sara | 22 comments I'm going to be reading this. Not something I would have picked up normally but I'm intrigued after some feedback I've heard.

Just don't expect it to be comedic. 'Cause it's not. If you can get over the idea of Abraham Lincoln being a bloodthirstly, vengeance-seeking vampire-killer....then you can actually get to reading and enjoying it:D

message 11: by Anik (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anik | 7 comments That's the plan so far. @Faize

Jilda Leigh (Jilda_Leigh) | 9 comments I can't wait for this one! I've had my book for a few days and it's been tempting not to read it!!!

message 13: by Lacey (new) - added it

Lacey | 32 comments I have picked up the book and read the introduction. Intrigued and compelled to read more.

Arina Floriana | 5 comments I've had the book for a few days also. Can't wait to get home and start reading!

message 15: by Tera (new)

Tera Jenkins | 19 comments I might have to break down and buy it. I'm number 12 on the list at the library and I requested it when it first went up that it would be the next read!

Mallory Heart (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 2 comments I own this, I've been wanting to read it for months, no excuse now-just have to slot time among all the review books and Library books:).

Maxoel Costa | 12 comments I wanted to read it since I've heard of. I liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and liked the idea of this book. Now I had the opportunity of reading the same book with other persons at the same time.

Once more, i'll postpone the reading of A Dance with Dragons...

Sheila | 2 comments Am reading it now. Interesting.....

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica (LoveBird1152) | 27 comments Ha. I've been wanting to read this, and now I have a finally reason to stop procrastinating!

Jilda Leigh (Jilda_Leigh) | 9 comments I read the introduction last night. Can't wait to get started today!!

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments i've had this on my kindle for a while, and i'm definitely in need of another fiction title to break up the dense non-fiction stuff i've been reading lately... i'll probably start reading it later this week :)

message 22: by Jey (new)

Jey | 23 comments Faize wrote: "Book shopping!! My favorite pasttime."

Oh yeah.. when you're surrounded by books, and the thrill of seeing that one you wanted SO badly.!! I always have to take this trip alone, though, none of my friends will accompany me, they claim I take 'too much time' loitering around lol. :D

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Diorio (onyx2119) | 3 comments I'm kinda excited for this read....I've had my fill of zombies in the last year, but this book looks interesting.

message 24: by Niki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki i'm very excited. i have actually already read this book, i absolutely LOVED the ending but i'm definitely game to give it another read :D

Jilda Leigh (Jilda_Leigh) | 9 comments I'm so psyched! I'm trying to get my work done so I can read!

Martha  (theshortone08) I'm so excited so many people are going to be reading along with me!

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri Hoekzema (FlightsofFancy51) | 3 comments I read this last year but am going to read it again. I learned a lot about American history during that period - and I majored in Am. History in college!

Chandra (ChandraElise) I have also read it, and loved it, so I am interested in what others think of the selection :)

message 29: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson Awww kinda sad cause i really want to read this one. LOL Just have not bought it yet. Soon though...

Hud-c | 436 comments I know the book is fiction but what part of the book you think coincide with Abe's real life story? I'm not American so I don't know about Lincoln that much besides that he became a US President and had something to do with the banning of slavery in America and writing the Gettysburg address.

Im not yet finished reading btw. I'm only halfway done. :) And its getting interesting.

Hud-c wrote: "I know the book is fiction but what part of the book you think coincide with Abe's real life story? I'm not American so I don't know about Lincoln that much besides that he became a US President an..."

Nearly this ENTIRE book is total fact. Seriously, about 90%, give or take a few. If you edit out the parts about vampires, you can pretty much bet that everything else is entirely true.

Hud-c | 436 comments Faize wrote: "Hud-c wrote: "I know the book is fiction but what part of the book you think coincide with Abe's real life story? I'm not American so I don't know about Lincoln that much besides that he became a U..."

0_0

But he didn't meet E.A. Poe in real life, did he?

I read a short biography of his, but its not really that much - less details. So I'm pretty much wondering what's real and not about this one - of course the vampires are on the not real list, but how about E. Bathory, J. Armstrong and the woman named Ann?

Hmmm....that I don't know. It's possible, I guess. I don't think there'd be much record of it in history though.

Hud-c | 436 comments SPOILERS AHEAD!

Its just me or did the book really explained the existence of Vampires???

And what happened to crowley???

Martha  (theshortone08) So how do you guys want to do this? There are 14 chapters.
We can read a chapter a day how does that sound?

message 36: by Littleinkblot (new)

Littleinkblot | 11 comments I'll be reading this :) Picking it up at the library sometime this weekend!

message 37: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson Going out this weekend so maybe i can get the book hehe.

Martha  (theshortone08) Alright how about we start the book on Monday so that everyone who wants to read it has a bit of time to get it. :)
That sound good?

Sure. Everybody, you can be as flexible as you want when reading the book. Feel free to read ahead, but try to avoid posting any spoilers until towards the end of the group read.

message 40: by Lacey (new) - added it

Lacey | 32 comments Im about a fifth of the way through it already. Its one of those I don't want to like it but I do books. Im just hoping it doesn't get ridiculous and I end up hating it.

Maxoel Costa | 12 comments One chapter a day? I'll try...

message 42: by Elly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elly I'm almost done and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. It is an interesting book but I feel as I reach the ending the story is dragging. 60 more pages to go.

Shannan (MitsuNeko) | 41 comments I got hubby to pick this up Tuesday as the library was closing and now here on Friday despite also finishing 7 digital books, finishing 2 blankets and starting 2 more on top of family stuff- I am like 3/4 the way through the book. So far I am getting a kick out of it.

And yes I think Poe and Lincoln may have met. The facts about Bathory seem almost spot on as to research I did on her for a paper what feels like a lifetime ago, Lincoln had known (dunno if loved) a woman named Ann Rutledge according to history as well.

So we start officially discussing Monday? I will try to get on to discuss (it's harder to get online than anything else in our house)

FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK:

Some people read faster than others, so I started a thread for members to go to if they finish the book before everyone else. Follow this link to post your review and discuss the book with others who have already finished it: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Thanks!

Shannan (MitsuNeko) | 41 comments Faize wrote: "FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK:

Some people read faster than others, so I started a thread for members to go to if they finish the book before everyone else. Follow this link to post you..."

LOL I will be popping in there later probably Am up to chapter 11 now but promised my toddler we'd go to the carnival tonight so.....

Jilda Leigh (Jilda_Leigh) | 9 comments Lincoln seems to have a bit of a dark side, huh?!?!

Shannan (MitsuNeko) | 41 comments It certainly does appear that way doesn't it Jilda?

Brandi (UnreasonablePublications) I read this a few months ago. Great book one of my favorites!

Martha  (theshortone08) I am two chapters in and I'm not liking it so far.
I'm guessing it's only me so far with that particular opinion.

Brandie | 2 comments I really enjoyed this book. Slow going in some parts but overall great read.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread