English Mysteries Club discussion

Other > Double Book Months

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean-Luke (last edited Jul 31, 2012 05:15PM) (new)

Jean-Luke (proteaprince) | 287 comments Mod
Since certain books just seem to go together, at least in my mind, I was thinking that maybe every couple of months we could transform Book of the Month into Books of the Month, where we read two books for that month. I've Seem some other groups do it. What do you guys think?

I know everyone has lives of their own and most of you are probably busy people (with other books to read), so let know what you think. Luckily most mysteries are pretty easy reading.

Some examples:

Agatha Christie
The Secret of Chimeys
The Seven Dials Mystery (sequel)

E.C. Bentley
Trent's Last Case
Trent's Own Case (only two books in the series)

P.D. James
An Unsuitable Job for A Woman
The Skull Beneath the Skin (only two books in the series)

Of course you don't have to necessarily read both.

Jeanne (olympus) | 6 comments Two per month is fine with me, and I like the idea of pairing stories. Give it a go.

Tracey, librarian on strike (Stewartry) They're often very quick, fairly short books, so it should be easily doable. Good idea for an experiment, at least - it can only add to the discussion.

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments I'd say yes...tentatively. Depends on how busy I am :D

Helen | 98 comments I like the idea - it will become even more attractive to me though when winter sets in & I tend to become more 'stay-at-home'..

Tom | 48 comments I would like to do this occasionally with a couple of easier reads. Not on topic, but An Unsuitable Job for a Woman is one of my favorite mysteries.

message 7: by J (new)

J | 11 comments Great idea!

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Sounds good to me--

Kimberly | 14 comments Can suggest DLS - Strong Poison followed by Gaudy night or Gaudy night followed by Busman's Honeymoon

Maryann | 5 comments Sounds like a good change up and continuances can be fun. This has the feel of LoTR in the book arena.

Sharla | 54 comments I like the idea.

Valerie (lol_V) | 1 comments This would be a delightful way to start the New Year.

Dennis Golombek I may not always be able to do two per month due to my other interests and hobbies. However, I like the pairing idea and am open to learning of new works. Maybe a long winter here in Western New York might make it possible for me to join in and stay warm in front of my NOOK tablet.

Ella's Gran | 47 comments Valerie wrote: "This would be a delightful way to start the New Year."

I like the idea too and to start the New Year.

Joan | 236 comments Tom wrote: "I would like to do this occasionally with a couple of easier reads. Not on topic, but An Unsuitable Job for a Woman is one of my favorite mysteries."

I love "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman," too. And "The Skull Beneath the Skin."

Judy Goodnight I'd give this idea a tentative yes. Real life does have a nasty way of interfering with reading time occasionally.

Mimi | 4 comments I would like this, especially if I found a "new" author!

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 106 comments Joan wrote: "Tom wrote: "I would like to do this occasionally with a couple of easier reads. Not on topic, but An Unsuitable Job for a Woman is one of my favorite mysteries."

I love "An Unsuitable Job for a Wo..."

I think these books would be a good choice. They are a British take on a Private detective, not the traditional Police Procedural, and short enough to read two without becoming bored with the character

unread topics | mark unread