Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Rosie's 50 Books for 2009!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 77) (77 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Rosie (last edited Jan 22, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments I think this is a cool idea, I hope to read more than 50 books this year but this group is a great motivator! =)

message 2: by Rosie (last edited Feb 01, 2009 06:46PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments Here is what I have read so far this year:

1. City of Bones Mortal Instruments Book 1 by Cassandra Clare (1/4)

2. City of Ashes Mortal Instruments Book 2 by Cassandra Clare (1/6)

Review: I'm absolutely HOOKED on this series, it is fantastic. It needs to be March already for City of Glass! ...JACE! ♥ =) lol

3. The Summoning The Darkest Powers 1 by Kelley Armstrong (1/14)

Review: Another series that I have been sucked into! The book ended so abruptly in the middle of a climax... I will be waiting very impatiently for The Awakening in April.

4. Wicked Ties by Shayla Black (1/18)

5. Decadent by Shayla Black (1/20)

Review: What can I say? I was in the mood for some steamy smutty goodness. =) If you are too you definitely must read these books, they are simply scintillating!

I think I'm of to a good start so far! I'm currently reading Dark Lover by J.R. Ward, it is Book 1 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I'll update again once I'm finished!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 6. Dark Lover Black Dagger Brotherhood 1 by J.R. Ward (1/28)

Review: LOVED this book, here is to yet another series I am hooked on! The Black Dagger Brotherhood is an elite group of vampire warriors who protect the civilian vampire population from a dangerous organization of vampire hunters called them Lessening Society. Wrath is their vampire King who refuses to take the throne, Torhment, Rhage, Phury, Zsadist, Vishous and Darius make up the rest of the Brotherhood. Each book is centred mainly around one member, this book is centred around Wrath. Love the writing style, love the characters. The plot flows from one scene to the next through several POV's, the subplots are few and simple, there is some fantastic smut! The story is dark but there is some great humour. I love the camaraderie and the banter between the Brotherhood. I'll definitely be ordering the rest of the books from this series!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 7. Ticket to Ride by Dennis Potter (2/1)

Review: I’m usually a fairly quick reader, but I found myself purposefully taking my time and re-reading sentences and paragraphs just so I could take everything in completely! It is pretty difficult to explain this story, there are lots of bizarre twists and turns. Supreme alienation and separateness from the rest of the world are a few of the many forefront themes of the book. Simply put, this is a psycho-study suspense both beautifully written and bleakly told. The ending is ambiguous, but I personally like the vague, obscure non-conclusion. It is a story that you will keep thinking about!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 8. Lover Eternal Black Dagger Brotherhood 2 by J.R. Ward (2/5)

Review: This series is truly addictive, I'm absolutely enthralled with it. I enjoyed Book 2 even more than the first one. This novel tells the story of the incredibly handsome vampire Rhage, whose body is cursed with a violent beast, and how he finds his mate, Mary, a human dying of cancer. Such a roller coaster ride of emotions. Can't wait to get started on Zsadist's story (Book 3)!

message 6: by Rosie (last edited Feb 07, 2009 06:12PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 9. Lover Awakened Black Dagger Brotherhood 3 by J.R. Ward (2/7)

Review: It just keeps getting better! Zsadist is my favourite Brother and in my opinion this Book is the best in the series so far. I loved the way that the author took a character who was described by his own twin brother as not merely broken, but ruined, and carefully put him back together piece by piece. This was a powerful story of redemption and unselfish love at it's finest. I was tearing up numerous times while reading this story, the ending was glorious!

message 7: by Rosie (last edited Feb 10, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 10. Lover Revealed Black Dagger Brotherhood 4 by J.R. Ward (2/10)

Review: Another fantastic book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. In this book the story is focused around Butch who is the human that the brotherhood has taken in, and his attraction to the vampire Marissa. Also, the relationship and unlikely bond that is forged between Butch and Vishous plays a huge part in this novel. J.R. Ward manages to keep the focus on the main characters, but also continues the subplots from the previous books. I'm still as engrossed with this world now as I was after the first book. I just can't get enough!

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments YOu got 10! great job!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments Aw, thanks Mary! =)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments You're welcome.

message 11: by Rosie (last edited Feb 13, 2009 07:02PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 11. Lover Unbound Black Dagger Brotherhood 5 by J.R. Ward (2/13)

Review: One word... Brilliant! This book tells the story of Vishous, he struggles to maintain his icy facade after his best friend Butch finds true love. That is, until he finds the love of his life, Jane, a human. I didn't think anybody could have it worse than Zsadist. But Vishous did. The revelations of V's past were harrowing and surprising. Though this book definitely has a bit of a darker twisted theme, there is still the same occasional banter that I always love between the Brothers. J.R. Ward is a fantastic author! I absolutely love the multiple storylines and continuous arcs and she juggles them effortlessly and always keeps them so interesting. This story took me on an emotional roller coaster ride, that is why I can't get enough of the Brotherhood!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 12. Lover Enshrined Black Dagger Brotherhood 6 by J.R. Ward (2/16)

Review: Though the heart of this book is supposed to be the love story between Phury and Cormia, the emotional depth of the book is vast! It's about brothers, lovers and comrades in arms, friendships, distant parents, addictions and painful change. Through all this the growing war with the Lessening Society rages on. I feel like I have a real understanding of Phury now. I completely felt his isolation and sense of failure, his not being able to "get there on time". I went through a huge gamut of emotions while reading this book and was right there next to him every step of the way. Also, the growing friendship between John Matthew, Qhuinn and Blay drew me in deep and ended up as one of the strongest elements of the story for me. I will be eagerly awaiting Book 7 due out April 28th!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 13. Blush by Opal Carew (2/18)

Review: Damn, can you say HOT!? I really liked the characters Hanna, Grey, and J.M. I found myself rooting for both male leads, they are equally sexy as hell and very likeable! There were tons of fun, sexy surprises along Hanna's journey of self-discovery. The ending?... =)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 14. Guilty Pleasures Anita Blake Vampire Hunter: Book 1 by Laurell K. Hamilton (2/23)

Review: The author completely sucked me in, this book was a dark, sexy and exciting read. Anita Blake is a kick-ass powerful female figure, and pretty entertaining. Really enjoyed the writing style; she's imaginative and the story is very fast-paced. I will definitely be continuing with this series.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 15. Fantasy Lover Dark-Hunter 1 by Sherrilyn Kenyon (3/1)

Review: This was the first full-length novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon that I have read, and I absolutely loved it! It was packed with thoroughly romantic moments and beautiful sensuality that was sheer perfection for me. I loved both Grace and Julian. Julian is the classic tortured hero, completely gorgeous on the outside but feeling unworthy of true love because of his past. Grace was just as sweet as could be and very relatable for me. She had a quiet inner strength and determination that was endearing. What I liked most about Grace and Julian's relationship is how they gave so freely and unselfishly to each other. The ending was just beautiful! I can't wait to read more of this series!

message 16: by Rosie (last edited Mar 04, 2009 05:29AM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 16. Fragile Previously Titled: Share and Share Alike by Shiloh Walker (3/3)

Review: Such an emotional book! The heroine really tugs at your heartstrings, I was sucked into the story right from the beginning. The suspense plot was excellent and the romance was so perfect! The characters were really engaging, I loved Devon & Luke (and Quinn). The chemistry between Devon & Luke was sizzling hot! I'm hoping Shiloh Walker will write a sequel about Quinn. *sigh*

message 17: by Rosie (last edited Mar 08, 2009 08:39PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 17. Coraline by Neil Gaiman (3/5)

Review: Coraline is a girl who's pretty much bored with the way things are. While exploring, she discovers that a door in the drawing room, behind which has always been a wall of bricks, now has a tunnel to what she assumes is the flat on the other side. But when she goes through, she finds a weird alternate universe where she quickly learns things aren't really as they seem. Coraline is a wonderfully well-drawn character, as are most of the book's creations. This book was a delightfully creepy tale. If you've been avoiding it because you thought it was a kids' book, think again.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 18. The Darkest Night Lords of the Underworld 1 by Gena Showalter (3/8)

Review: Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series debuts with The Darkest Night, the story of Maddox and Ashlyn Darrow. A group of immortal men live together in a remote castle in Budapest. These men [Maddox (Violence), Reyes (Pain), Lucien (Death), Paris (Promiscuity), Torin (Disease), and Aeron (Wrath):] have been cursed to house demons for eternity and it is a constant struggle to control them. Based on the Pandora myth/legend, this book is a fast-paced, satisfying read, and a great start to the Series.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 19. Bitten Women of the Otherworld Book 1 by Kelley Armstrong (3/16)

Review: Elena Michaels is the only female werewolf in existence, making her something of a legend in the werewolf world. But she was forced into it, having been bitten by her lover. This book chronicles her struggle in deciding whether to accept what she is and live with the werewolves or shun her true nature and forge a life for herself outside of the Pack. Elena is the perfect heroine (and an excellent narrator!) and on many levels you can identify 100% with her. All of the characters were so amazingly whole and riveting, especially Clay ♥! This book really sucks you right in. It was thrilling, entertaining, hilarious, steamy, sexy, tragic... it's honestly just a roller coaster of adjectives. I can't wait to read more from this series!

message 20: by Rosie (last edited Mar 23, 2009 02:38PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 20. The Darkest Kiss Lords of the Underworld 2 by Gena Showalter (3/22)

Review: The Darkest Kiss tells the story of Lucien and Anya. Lucien is the Keeper of Death and he is the leader of the Budapest warriors. Anya is a sexy, strong, and independent "minor" goddess of Anarchy. She flirts with danger when she messes with Cronus the king of the Titan gods. Anya also enjoys flirting with Lucien. While these two characters lust for one another they also battle it out since Cronus instructed Lucien to kill Anya; otherwise his friends would suffer. Everything heats up as they battle each other and then battle together. I enjoyed it even more than the first one and can't wait to start the next book!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 21. The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward (3/23)

Review: I tried (but completely failed!) reading this nice and slow to tide me over until the new book next month. I can't say enough about this series, it is absolutely fantastic! I loved getting a peek into the mind of J.R. Ward, this guide is a definite must for all fans. It's filled with tons of fun informative stuff and an original Novella featuring Zsadist and Bella ♥ called 'Father Mine'. We see how Z finally is forced to face and deal with his past in order that he may finally have a happy future. I loved this glimpse into Z and Bella's life, they are my favourite couple and it was great to read more about them!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 22. City of Glass The Mortal Instruments Book 3 by Cassandra Clare (3/24)

Review: I bought the book this morning and read it all day! This is the final installment in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and it was absolutely fantastic! It wraps up Clary and Jace's story with plenty of action, angst and twists, this time in the Shadowhunters' city Alicante. I feel complete after reading City of Glass, it didn't leave me questioning anything on an annoying level like some final books in a series do. This was such a fantastic book with characters that I've grown to love throughout the course of the trilogy. I thought everything was tied up neatly and the ending was completely satisfying, leaving me fulfilled yet still wanting more about this world and these characters! I completely adore Cassandra Clare ♥!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 23. The Darkest Pleasure Lords of the Underworld 3 by Gena Showalter (3/30)

Review: This is Book 3 in the series and tells the story of Danika and Reyes (Keeper of Pain). Reyes has been in love with Danika since Book 1, but his friend Aeron (Keeper of Wrath) has been commanded by the Gods to kill her entire family and is being driven insane by bloodlust. I liked the story and seeing how the other characters, and their relationships turned out. I especially liked how the author created a strong, independent heroine; and continued to follow Reyes's struggle with his loyalty to his friends versus his loyalty to Danika. Great series, I look forward to Book 4 'The Darkest Whisper' due out in Sept!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 24. Dead After Dark Includes: Dark-Hunter 24 by Sherrilyn Kenyon, J.R. Ward, Susan Squires, Dianna Love (4/5)
Review: I got this book basically just to read the J.R. Ward short 'The Story of Son'. As always she is just amazing. It was smoking hot and I completely fell in love with Claire & Michael. I would absolutely love for them to be integrated into the Black Dagger Brotherhood books. :) Also, I plan on reading the Sherrilyn Kenyon short when I get to that point of the Dark-Hunter series... still a long way to go!

Aprile (aprileb) I love your reviews :)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments Thanks Aprile! :) I love posting them and I kinda wish everyone would do it on here! lol

Aprile (aprileb) I always do, but they are never in depth. I am always scared I am going to spoil something in the book!

message 28: by Rosie (last edited Apr 06, 2009 08:23AM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments Same here. I do want to write so much more but I don't want to end up making them too spoilery to!

I just checked out your list... 34 books so far, that's awesome. :) I see you are in Ontario too, woot represent! lol

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 25. The Laughing Corpse Anita Blake Vampire Hunter: Book 2 by Laurell K. Hamilton (4/12)
Review: The Laughing Corpse is the 2nd book in the Anita Blake series. It was much darker and creepier than the first book. Vampires are minimal, it deals more with Zombies and Voodoo which was cool! I'm really enjoying the developing relationship between Jean-Claude and Anita, I just wish there was even more interaction between them in this book. You learn a lot more about Anita and what has made her 'The Executioner'. You also see her potential for darkness (the climax was awesome!), I look forward to seeing where the next book takes us.

message 30: by Rosie (last edited Apr 12, 2009 10:23PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 26. Playing Easy to Get Includes: Immortals After Dark 1 Vikings Underground 3 and B.A.D. 5 by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kresley Cole, Jaid Black (4/13)

Review: I got this book specifically for the Kresley Cole short 'The Warlord Wants Forever'. It is the first story in her Immortals After Dark series. I thought the romance between Nikolai and Myst was very hot! This story has excellent chemistry, and the skill of Cole's writing shines in this short story. She is so good at combining humour, action, and writing characters that burn for each other. I'm looking forward to starting the official first book in this series 'A Hunger Like No Other'.

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments Half-way +1! whohoo for you!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments Thanks! :)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 27. Bound and Determined by Shayla Black, Shelley Bradley (4/13)

Review: Shayla Black (writing as Shelley Bradley) has a definite talent for bringing her characters to life, making the reader feel as if they are a fly on the wall watching the story unfold. I can't get enough of her! The chemistry between the lead duo Rafe and Kerry was sizzling HOT! Well developed characters, a fast-paced engaging plot with lots of twists and turns and an extremely sexy love story. Can't wait for the re-release of Strip Search in July, this isn't a series but recurring characters!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 28. Dragonswan Dark-Hunter 2 by Sherrilyn Kenyon (4/15)

Review: This novella in the Dark-Hunter series (technically Book 1.5) tells the story of dragon Were-Hunter, Sebastian Kattalakis and his discovery of a mate, Channon MacRea. I really enjoyed their relationship, great mix of steamy romance and snappy humour. I hope there is more about dragon shapeshifters in future books, very fascinating! I'm really loving Sherrilyn Kenyon and I'm trying to follow the exact reading order for this series. A full-length book is next! :)

message 35: by Rosie (last edited Apr 19, 2009 09:20PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 29. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (4/19)

Review: This book was pretty frustrating, the first hundred pages or so were very tedious to read. I wasn't feeling any connection with any of the characters, no depth at all. The constant name-dropping fixation on fashion, shopping, and modelling on every page was annoying. A little over 100 pages into the book, it did start to get a bit better. An actual plot started to form and I became interested in a few characters. I will probably end up reading the next book in this series just to find out what happens.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 30. I Burn for You Primes Series Book 1 by Susan Sizemore (4/23)

Review: This is the first book in Susan Sizemore's Prime series and it tells the story of Alexander Reynard & Domini Lancer. Alec is a vampire, but he and his kind have integrated their way into human life. Domini is a professional security expert and psychic, who has been having strange dreams (about Alec). Love the characters, the tension between Alec and Domini feels very real and adds a lot of hot spice to the book... Their chemistry was sizzling! Overall, it was a great story but the ending was a little disappointing. It was as if the author just ran out of steam, didn't really pack a punch. However, I will definitely read the next book in the series.

message 37: by Rosie (last edited Apr 27, 2009 10:57AM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 31. Willow by Julia Hoban (4/27)

Review: Willow is a real, honest, and emotional book. From the moment you pick the book up, you are invested in Willow and her well-being. Not only is this story about grief and guilt, it is about love and never giving up, even the worst of situations can improve. It's beautiful. The characters in Willow are real people with complex emotions and personalities. From the disheartening portrayal of Willow's brother David, and her warped sense of his withdrawal, to the eccentric relationship between Willow and Guy. The secondary characters play such huge parts and truly remain prominent in your mind. Reading Willow was definitely one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've had in a long time. Read it!

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 32. Lover Avenged Black Dagger Brotherhood 7 by J.R. Ward (5/01)

Review: Lover Avenged was the much anticipated 7th Book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and I absolutely LOVED it! Though the heart of the book focuses on the relationship between Rehvenge and Ehlena, other main story arcs unfurl about John Matthew/Xhex and Wrath as well. As always, J.R. Ward juggles these multiple storylines and continuous arcs with ease. Rehv and Ehlena's romance is excellent. They are flawed but perfect for each other, their story was strong and beautiful! It was so great to have the King front and centre again, I've missed him and Beth so much. JM and Xhex both broke my heart, I know their story is going to be very intense in the next book. A few scenes with Tohr also broke my heart, but I'm so happy he has finally snapped out of it! Oh, Payne is kick ass, can't wait to read more about her. There were lots of hysterical moments as well (a lot including Lassiter), I always go through a gamut of emotions while reading these books. This story kept me so captivated, but then the Brothers always do. I can never say enough about this series, it is just so fantastic. Once again, I will be eagerly awaiting the next book!

message 39: by Rosie (last edited May 03, 2009 03:45PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 33. Tempting the Beast Breed Series 1 by Lora Leigh (5/03)

Review: I have always read rave reviews about Lora Leigh books. I decided to finally give one a try... this is hands down one of the hottest books I have ever read! Callan is a genetically modified human who has been in hiding with a handful of other "Breeds". Merinus is determined to convince Callan to make his story public. She is positive that the research done by her family can save him and all other Breeds. When Merinus first sees Callan she does not understand why she is so physically in "need" of him. It turns out that there is some chemical and hormonal reaction between the two which put them in a Mating Frenzy. Seriously, HOT AS HELL! I'll definitely be reading more of this series.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 34. The Awakening Darkest Powers Book 2 by Kelley Armstrong (5/05)

Review: The Awakening is the second installment in the Darkest Powers Trilogy. The Summoning was great; The Awakening was fantastic! Chloe is on the run from the Edison Group, trying to control her necromancer powers, and doing her best to help her friends along the way. I'm enjoying the development of the characters, especially Chloe and Derek. There's definitely an attraction there, even if she hasn't quite admitted it to herself yet. I am a shameless fan of the Derek and Chloe romance! And again the book leaves with the closing of a chapter but with the rest of the story wide open. I really loved it, I cannot wait for The Reckoning to come out!

message 41: by Rosie (last edited May 13, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 35. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (5/13)

Review: I can't believe it took me this long to read this book. Especially cause I absolutely loved The Da Vinci Code! I thought Angels & Demons was extremely captivating and such a suspenseful action-filled mystery. This novel follows Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon on his first adventure that takes him from his quiet life in Boston to a fast-paced, life threatening adventure throughout the Vatican City. The storyline was extremely engaging and intense, I could not put the book down for a second! I'm really looking forward to Dan Brown's next adventure featuring Robert Langdon 'The Lost Symbol' due out in September!

Aprile (aprileb) I loved Angels and Demons, but I found the ending to be really silly.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 36. Dead Until Dark Sookie Stackhouse 1 by Charlaine Harris (5/19)

Review: I wanted to start reading this series mainly because I love the show True Blood. Thought it was time to start reading the books this series is based on. After reading this first book I have to say I love how closely a lot of episodes in Season 1 follow the book. It captured my attention from the beginning till end. It was very fast paced and had such interesting characters. I love Sookie and Bill but I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy Eric as well. I'm going to try and finish more of the books from this series before Season 2 of True Blood starts.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 37. A Hunger Like No Other Immortals After Dark 2 by Kresley Cole (5/21)

Review: Exciting, complex, fast paced, a real page turner. A steamy romance set in a turbulent world of vampires, werewolves, valkyries and their wars and squabbles. After 150 years chained and tortured by vampires, Lachlain, leader of a werewolf clan, breaks free when he catches the scent of Emmaline, half vampire half valkyrie. The Alpha werewolf claims Emma as his mate and forces her back to his Scottish castle. Emma starts out as a quiet and gentle young woman, but she finds her strength and asserts it -- despite Lachlain's intoxicating seduction to make her love him. *fans self* I really loved the slow build of the relationship between them. I loved the journey Emmaline experienced in this book, not just across the globe - but within herself. Strong supporting characters with hints of their own intriguing stories have me anxious to read more! I can't wait to read the next book in this series.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 38. Pleasure Unbound Demonica 1 by Larissa Ione (5/22)

Review: Pleasure Unbound is the first book in Larissa Ione's Demonica series. I couldn't put it down for a second, just loved it! The demon world that Larissa created was enthralling and kept me on the edge of my seat. The characters are interesting, engaging and passionate. I absolutely loved the attraction between Tayla and Eidolon. The conflict and barriers between these two unlikely lovers seem insurmountable. However, the sensuality that erupts between them is volcanic, literally sizzling off the pages. There is a cast of well-developed supporting characters, introduced in the book woven into sub-plots that don't overtake the overall storyline but keep the entire read exhilarating and entertaining. This was my first exposure to this author and I can tell you it wont be my last. Fantastic start to this series and I can't wait to read Shade and Wraith's stories in the next 2 books.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 39. Night Pleasures Dark-Hunter 3 by Sherrilyn Kenyon (5/25)

Review: This is the second full-length book (3rd story) in the Dark-Hunter Series, but it is really the first in the series to actually get into the real meat of who the Dark-Hunters are and what they do. Night Pleasures, tells the story of Dark-Hunter, Kyrian of Thrace and mortal Amanda Devereaux. Kyrian has a dark past filled with heartbreak and betrayal by his wife thousands of years ago. His attraction to Amanda leaves him wanting to believe that love and loyalty still do exist. The story was fantastic! I loved every character, Kyrian and Amanda were fabulous. The contest to see who can one up the other made the dialogue so fun. The sexual tension sizzles off the pages, and the story is so fast paced and packed with action. A lot of new characters were introduced in this book that are going to be the focus of subsequent novels. I look forward to meeting even more Dark-Hunters. Next up is Talon!

message 47: by Rosie (last edited May 29, 2009 02:54PM) (new)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 40. Desire Unchained Demonica 2 by Larissa Ione (5/29)

Review: Desire Unchained was a mesmerizing and sexy read, Ione’s riveting Demonica series just keeps getting better! Seminus Demon Shade and human turned werewolf Runa’s relationship is flawed, passionate, emotionally raw, touching, and full of sexual tension and frustration. The chemistry and tentative connection between secondary characters Kynan and Gem is sweet and heartbreaking. I was nearly as wrapped up in their story as I was in Shade and Runa's. I'm really hoping that they will eventually get their own book. I'm so glad I discovered this new series, I love the inventiveness and dark sexuality of it. I cannot wait to start book 3 Passion Unleashed (Wraith's story)! I have been waiting to read about this bad boy since the first book. ;)

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 41. The Vampire Queen's Servant Vampire Queen 1 by Joey W. Hill (5/31)

Review: This book was veryHOT. I loved it! The story is about Lyssa, a vampire queen who doesn't want another human servant. To take another would mean losing him the way she lost Thomas, the monk who served her faithfully for hundreds of years. Jacob Green has hunted vampires alongside his brother Gideon for most of his adult life. But one look at Lady Lyssa compelled him to be a part of her life. Thinking himself prepared by Thomas' tutelage he comes to Lyssa ready to serve, but unwilling to submit. She may not want a new human servant but she can't deny the wanting and soul-deep feelings she develops for Jacob. Their relationship is very complex and it takes time to uncover the inner workings of their hearts especially when one person is guarding their heart so well. The Vampire Queen's Servant is merely the beginning to Lyssa and Jacob's story, it continues in the sequel The Mark of the Vampire Queen.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 42. Passion Unleashed Demonica 3 by Larissa Ione (6/02)

Review: Wraith has always been my favourite of the Seminus Demon brothers. I experienced every emotion possible while reading his story. Wraith and Serena’s relationship is heartwarming and bittersweet, and the plot keeps you guessing until the very end as to how things will get resolved for the characters to find their HEA. The backdrop to their love story is complex, but the metamorphosis of Wraith's character from an emotionally distant, reckless personality to a caring, protective and affectionate lover was beautiful! A new character, Lore, was cleverly introduced to the storyline and was given a pivotal role in this book. Lore will also be the hero of the fourth Demonica novel, Ecstasy Unveiled. I'm really looking forward to reading his story. Also, Wraith's book has a Demonica Compendium in the back with all kinds of cool special content. The bonus short story The Reckoning was a great read, it is about when Eidolon and Shade find and save Wraith.

Rosie  (Rosie316) | 67 comments 43. Circus of the Damned Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 3 by Laurell K. Hamilton (6/05)

Review: This is the third installment in the Anita Blake series and my favourite so far. It was a fast-paced, riveting thriller and action-packed from beginning to end! In this story, we find Anita Blake back in the hornet's nest of vampires and undead power struggles. This book has more interaction with the spellbinding Master of the City, Jean-Claude, which was a big plus for me. A few new characters were introduced, one being the hunky Richard Zeeman, Anita's new romantic interest and Larry Kirkland, a youthful, very naive addition to Anita's animating firm. I also think Edward is a great character, I love the interaction between him and Anita. The plot in this one revolves around a struggle between two forces: Jean-Claude and his vampires and a rogue, ancient vampire with some very radical, deadly beliefs. This series is progressing nicely so far and I can't wait to dive right into The Lunatic Cafe!

« previous 1