Goodreads Feedback discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > New button for shelving books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,333) (2333 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 46 47

message 1: by William, Software Engineer (last edited Oct 17, 2012 09:43AM) (new)

William Cline | 151 comments Mod
Hi everyone.

We’re all familiar with the “add to my books” button that appears throughout the site. It offers a quick, one-click way to add an interesting book to your shelves. Maybe you read a great review, and you want to mark the reviewed book as “to-read”; maybe you run across a book you read years ago but had forgotten about, so you click to give it a star rating.

old “add to my books” button

Today, I want to give you an advance look at our new design for this button. It offers more powerful shelving features, as well as shortcuts to update your reading status, write reviews, and more. It also sports an all-new look that lets you see, at a glance, which shelf a book is on.

new “want to read” button

The improvements go deeper than appearances, however. The underlying code for this button is structured better than the old one, which will help us improve site performance.

While this button uses new, friendlier language to indicate a book’s shelving state — “Want to Read”, “Reading Now”, and “Read” — please note that we are not changing the names of your shelves. You’ll continue to see “to-read”, “currently-reading”, and “read” on your “My Books” page and elsewhere.

You can start using the new button today using these special links:

* Click here to enable the new “Want to Read” button.
* Click here to switch back to the old “Add to my books” button.

Note that some pages will continue to display the old button while we work to update their layouts.

We would very much appreciate your feedback about the new button, so please tell us what you think by replying in this thread. Your comments will help us make improvements and catch bugs as we prepare to roll out the new button to the entire Goodreads community.

Happy shelving.

message 2: by Andrea (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) | 38 comments I quite like the look - having activated it, it looks visually striking (though a little non-matching to the rest of the colour scheme of GR).

[Not so sure about changing "To Read" to "Want to Read". If a person is reading something for, say, a school assignment, then 'want' is a very debatable term.]

I'd love a "re-reading" option. ;) Hm, though I guess that would come up if I made "re-reading" an exclusive shelf?

I often re-read, and think it would be peachy if tracking my multiple readings of the same book was simple.

Edit: Oh, and if we're fooling with the book selection button, could we have that "clear stars" option made part of the drop-down list? People often don't find it easy to find how to do this, and it would be lovely to have it made very simple to find.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl So it will not be a drop-down menu? All of that wordage and color will show up in place of the button?

I'm really not liking it....at all.

I would add that changing the wording but not changing the shelf name is really confusing. "Want to read" puts it on your "to-read" shelf, yes? "Reading Now" puts it on your "Currently-Reading" shelf. I'm not seeing the purpose of the newfangled button, honestly.

message 4: by William, Software Engineer (new)

William Cline | 151 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "So it will not be a drop-down menu?"

The drop-down menu is still there, although I didn't show it in the preview images in my original post. (In fact, the new menu shows both exclusive and non-exclusive shelves.) You can activate it by hovering over or clicking the small "books" icon on the right-hand side of the button.

message 5: by Kristina Marie (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:57PM) (new)

Kristina Marie | 121 comments I love the drop down menu to shelve! That solves a lot of my problems with the current button.

As for the name. . .do you even need to "change" the name? Why have the shelves be called one thing with the button and another on the My Books page? Just keep it uniform to avoid confusion.

I also agree about the color. It doesn't fit.

Edit: I am not liking that the button reads "want to read" for all books I haven't added instead of "add to my books." Especially since "want to read" is what it says once something IS added to your to-read shelf.

I love how you can delete a book from your shelves by clicking the checkmark!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments I do agree with the color - its a bit bright - but I think it needs to stand-out somehow - maybe more of the brown color that seems to be predominant on the site...

but I do like the hover and pull down - it was so much easier than previous for adding books quickly

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl The color and typeface don't match the rest of the site. (What's up with that?....consistency....consistency should be a website's mantra....)

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

I enabled the switch and like it. The color really doesn't bother me that much (probably because it is my favorite color). I like that it is really visible and I like the drop-down part that has all of my shelves and not just my read, to-read, and currently reading. This is a change (a minor one) that I can get behind. Hopefully this is the start to some other helpful and useful changes.

Edit: Oh and the wording of the shelves was alright to me. I understand what shelves those are and really don't mind the wording.

message 9: by Jenny (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:33PM) (new)

Jenny (Jyl22075) | 13 comments I love the drop down that shows all the shelves. It will make things much easier when adding books.

I don't care for the color and I don't really like the "want to read" and "reading now" options. I would prefer them to stay "to read" and "currently reading." Just my two cents.

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Manybooks | 3011 comments It seems to shelve the books faster, yay!! For me, that's a big bonus because I add lots of books.

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments William wrote: "Hi everyone.

We’re all familiar with the “add to my books” button that appears throughout the site. It offers a quick, one-click way to add an interesting book to your shelves. Maybe you read a gr..."

I don't have a clue what this means. Is this on the book page, on the recommendations page? Where is it? And what button? I used to have a drop down menu from which I could choose one of my exclusive shelves - none of which would be the 3 you mention above.

ETA: well, the above is because I didn't read your subsequent post. With the addition of non-exclusive shelves, this might be a good thing. Still, where would I find this?

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments I have to say, the new drop down menu looks great and seems to be, well, pretty seamless. I like it, the name change can get a bit confusing though until one gets used to them I guess. Like Andrea, I would love a re-read option with the ability to track all the read dates, not just the most recent.

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 3011 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "William wrote: "Hi everyone.

We’re all familiar with the “add to my books” button that appears throughout the site. It offers a quick, one-click way to add an interesting book to your shelves. May..."

Just click on the link posted and the next time you shelve a book, you will notice the new button and look.

message 14: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:40PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments I don't like this. I was unable to choose one of my exclusive shelves - I will never add to my To Read shelf and that is the only option that works. And I am unable to undo it. Yuck!

And then it tells me is #xxx on my To Read shelf. Well, guess what? That shelf is re-ordered frequently, depending on the sort field I want to use.

message 15: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf I think it's cool! The color is kind of a glow, which makes it stick out.

message 16: by Tima (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments I just activated it and I, so far, really like it! I love that I can shelve the book to any of my shelves without having to jump pages or settings with it. The color is not a big deal to me, I think it looks great and it is work seamlessly for me right now. The only thing I think was unnecessary was the change from "to-read" to "want to read". I like 'to-read' better but still not a big deal!

This is something I've hoped to see come to GoodReads, thanks for the great update :)

ETA: Oooh! I love that I can update my progress in the book from different places now! (IE: Even from the book's main page, weee!)

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4972 comments I really love that ALL of my shelves are back in the drop-down, rather than just the exclusive ones. That's fantastic.

I agree with the others though about the color (don't like) and the wording/name changes - it's confusing and unnecessary. "Want to read" is what the recommendation system shows when you've added a book, and now this button makes it look like every book has been added, when they haven't.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments I like how you can hover over the shelf you put a book on and the view shelf link comes up - makes it easier IMHO

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I don't like this. I was unable to choose one of my exclusive shelves - I will never add to my To Read shelf and that is the only option that works. And I am unable to undo it. Yuck!

And then it t..."

i didn't think the numbers changed based on the sorting - there are always numbers assigned - and that is a sort option - or at least it doesn't change for mine - unless I physically change the ranking

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Dee wrote: "i didn't think the numbers changed based on the sorting - there are always numbers assigned - and that is a sort option - or at least it doesn't change for mine - unless I physically change the ranking "

What ranking?

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments this "#xxx on my To Read shelf" - that number always stays the same, no matter what sorting option you use - or at least it does on mine

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments I have never seen numbers on my To Read shelf. At least "never" in my memory.

message 23: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11995 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "And I am unable to undo it."

Click on the checkmark.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I have never seen numbers on my To Read shelf. At least "never" in my memory."

i always see them when I shelve a book - so maybe its a column that you have hidden in your bookshelf view

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Thanks, Rivka. I just went to the To Read shelf and deleted it. I certainly hope this isn't going to be forced on me. I will have to go change everything every time I add a book. I doesn't let me add to any shelf but To Read and I don't add to that shelf from the book page.

message 26: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments This might be a bug or maybe a cache issue, but I went to my profile page to check it out after installing the plug-in. This book shows as "awaiting-review" (one of my exclusive shelves), problem is that I moved it to my "read" shelve two days ago. And shouldn't my rating (3 stars as it shows on the left) appear as well underneath the shelve?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. I just went to the To Read shelf and deleted it. I certainly hope this isn't going to be forced on me. I will have to go change everything every time I add a book. I doesn't let me a..."

When you go to add a book with this change you want to hover over the stacked books on the side of "Want to Read". That will show you all your shelves. That is how you add a book to a shelf other than to-read.

message 28: by Kara, Director, Customer Care (last edited Jul 30, 2012 06:59PM) (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. I just went to the To Read shelf and deleted it. I certainly hope this isn't going to be forced on me. I will have to go change everything every time I add a book. I doesn't let me a..."

Would you mind clarifying a bit? What happens when you try to add a book to another shelf? If it's not letting you, that's something we'd want to fix.

Edit: Denise / Rivka have possibly explained it.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4972 comments Ooooh, I like that when you hover over the "Reading Now" I can update my status from there... But only in pages. Toggle ability coming?

message 30: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11995 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I doesn't let me add to any shelf but To Read"

If you hover over the small "books" icon on the right-hand side of the button, you'll get a drop down with all your shelves, starting with your exclusive ones.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Becky wrote: "Ooooh, I like that when you hover over the "Reading Now" I can update my status from there... But only in pages. Toggle ability coming?"

If you click on the word 'pages' it should change to percent.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Kara wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. I just went to the To Read shelf and deleted it. I certainly hope this isn't going to be forced on me. I will have to go change everything every time I add..."

It means that the only exclusive shelf is the To Read shelf. I don't want that shelf and no other option is available. I did see others in the list, but no check-box to switch to one of them.

message 33: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments Becky wrote: "Ooooh, I like that when you hover over the "Reading Now" I can update my status from there... But only in pages. Toggle ability coming?"

I like this feature too, so great. This seems like a, potentially, really wonderful improvement to the shelving system.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments there is no check box - it will highlight the shelves as you scroll down, then just click on the one you want to move the book to

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Not a fan of the color, but other than that I like.

message 36: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby | 37 comments I specifically dislike the phrase "want to read."

As for complaints about colour scheme and tone, I would suggest that this is a foreshadow of what is to come for the entire site. Bright and childlike. So save your complaints up for when everything looks like that. :)

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) | 38 comments Having played with it a little longer, I find that I don't like that the default text of unselected books is "Want to Read" instead of "Add to my Books". Even though there's a colour change after you click it, it does look like I've added every book by an author to my "Want to Read" shelf. "Add to my books" with a default select of "To Read" would be better, imho.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Dee wrote: "there is no check box - it will highlight the shelves as you scroll down, then just click on the one you want to move the book to"

Well, that's confusing as hell (obviously, and I think this site is about the most intuitive on the web). There are check boxes for non-exclusives. And I don't like the wording. Reading Now should be Currently Reading. Want to Read should be To Read.

message 39: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 106 comments There's a semantic difference between "to read" and "want to read" in my opinion. If I already have the book and haven't read it yet, it's a "to read." If I don't have the book yet, then it's a "want to read" so I can keep track of things I might interested in later.

Because there wasn't a "want to read" button, I often put "want" next to certain books. However, now I won't have the "to read" option.

Hope this makes sense.

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments I would guess the different between the check-box and non-check box would be - you can only have the one exclusive (highlight), but multiple non-exclusive (check-boxes)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Dee wrote: "there is no check box - it will highlight the shelves as you scroll down, then just click on the one you want to move the book to"

Well, that's confusing as hell (obviously, and I thin..."

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments I do agree on the want to read/ to-read...but the want to read is reflective of the recommendations engine, so that is at least commonality there

message 42: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Dee wrote: "I like how you can hover over the shelf you put a book on and the view shelf link comes up - makes it easier IMHO"

Where are you doing this? I've tried from "My Books" and the book page and I can't get a drop down menu to show up.

I love that the menu shows up on the search page. I've been asking for this for years. Less clicking to move books from "to-read" to "currently reading."

I personally don't like the change of names either, but I could get used to it. What does bother me is that the renamed options are capitalized but the other shelves aren't. It wouldn't bother me if all the exclusive shelves were capitalized and the non-exclusive weren't, but I have an exclusive "didn't finish" shelf uncapitalized in the middle of the capitalized renamed options that looks off.

message 43: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 30, 2012 07:11PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Dee wrote: "I do agree on the want to read/ to-read...but the want to read is reflective of the recommendations engine, so that is at least commonality there"

I don't have "want to read" on my recommendations page. I have the same "Add to My Books" button as on the book page.

I have check boxes (ok, radio buttons) on my exclusive shelves when I add to my books in the old/current format, so I don't see that not having them is very helpful.

message 44: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf For one thing, it's called the "want to read" button.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Dee wrote: "I do agree on the want to read/ to-read...but the want to read is reflective of the recommendations engine, so that is at least commonality there"

I don't have "want to read" on my rec..."

that is weird - because I look at the recommendations page, and under each book there is a want to read button - I then have a second pull-down menu that let's me put it on other exclusive shelves

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Dee wrote: "that is weird - because I look at the recommendations page, and under each book there is a want to read button - I then have a second pull-down menu that let's me put it on other exclusive shelves "

switch to the list format

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments yeah - I don't use the list format - that is probably why I see Want To Read and you don't

message 48: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments Well, I'm not sure what happened, but mine went back to the old format on its own. Apparently, it didn't like the new settings and shut them off.

I look forward to seeing this feature implemented more when the bugs are worked out, I want to play with it more :)

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2104 comments Annalisa wrote: "Dee wrote: "I like how you can hover over the shelf you put a book on and the view shelf link comes up - makes it easier IMHO"

Where are you doing this? I've tried from "My Books" and the book pag..."

I've only been able to replicate it, when I add a book using the "Want to Read" button - if you hover after clicking on that you get a view shelf link - but it doesn't show up for any of the other shelves that I have managed to show yet

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13878 comments Just a site inconsistency that should be rectified. And I hope beyond hope that I'm not asking for Want to Read.

Sorry, if I sound in more of a snit than usual.

And sorry, William, I'm sure you've put a heck of a lot of work into this. I don't understand why the unnecessary difference in terminology that sounds as if you're dumbing down the site.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 46 47
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How to Lie with Statistics (other topics)
Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)
Escape From The Big Green Button (other topics)
How to Lie with Statistics (other topics)
How To Lie With Statistics (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Meg Cabot (other topics)
Clara Harland (other topics)