Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Comments (showing 101-128 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (DrgnAngl) | 185 comments You guys/gals are all silly.

If you want to talk about long waits, consider how long people had to wait for Boston to put out its later albums...

message 102: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 825 comments David wrote: "You guys/gals are all silly.

If you want to talk about long waits, consider how long people had to wait for Boston to put out its later albums..."

Dude....you are so correct.....

message 103: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I'm not silly. I'm always 100% serious.

message 104: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 229 comments David,

Yes, and how about the poor fools who waited 14 years for Axel Rose's Chinese Democracy!

My idol (Janny Wurts) ALWAYS takes years between books, but it's always worth it.

Arabella, even though many disagree (me, too) I respect your investigative vigor and your determination

message 105: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 14, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

Stay calm people ! Patrick Rothfuss has told me he will post on his blog some time soon, as to what is happening with his next book in the series.

If we remain patient and friendly to each other, we maybe able to have him visit the group to discuss his novel if it is voted for the monthly read and discussion. But no promises or guarantee's on that.

There is little point in arguing over the when and why the book is being delayed. Patience is a virtue.

message 106: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) JJ-Thank you for the voice of reason. What is important is that we all remain calm in the face of . . . of . . .something. ..whatever it is.

Lets all agree that a hearty discussion is good!

And let's be calm--times it can get scary and almost seem like people are taking these things personally.

Everyone keep breathing.

message 107: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I agree, hearty discussion IS good. And that's what we were having. Disgreement, yes. Argument, no.

message 108: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2010 06:03AM) (new)

Arabella has been removed from the Group along with her threads, the same for Yolanda. This is in accordance with the Group Guidelines at the top of the Forum. Personal attacks on members, authors or moderators are not tolerated within this group and any decision is always at the discretion of the Moderators.

message 109: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (DrgnAngl) | 185 comments I didn't realize it got personal

message 110: by Justin (last edited Jan 15, 2010 06:58AM) (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 27 comments As much I think they were wrong, I never felt it got personal...with maybe an exception to Yolanda's Jordan comment...which was flat insensitive. I was rather enjoying the discussion. Sorry it ended this way, just when I thought it was coming around to an amicable resolution.

message 111: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I'm with Logan -- my TBR shelf is waaay too full for me to get my panties in a twist over how long authors take to write their books.

message 112: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kissinger (ashbert13) WOW! What an amazing book! I have rarely ever read a book so well thought out as The Name of the Wind. I just finished it a little bit ago, and I, of course, went to go and grab the sequel. But the sequel isn't here!!! I got about as far as figuring out the sequel's name, and here I am. Does anyone know when it's going to be here? What a talent! Great great book--terrific author! I can't wait to see what happens next!

message 113: by Isolde (new)

Isolde Fallaere I see much contraversy has taken place here. I am simply wondering where to buy this Wise Man's Fear. I live in South France, and I am not yet sure where it is this book can be bought. I am loving this book, and I like to find the follow book. If there is information in the form that I can find this book, I would love to know. I have been looking to find it, but I have found many places that say the different things. Please tell me if a place is to be found that has an information with the new book.

message 114: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (DrgnAngl) | 185 comments It isn't published yet.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For Patrick Rothfuss announced today in his blog that The Wise Man's Fear will be published on March 1, 2011. Note that this is not a random publisher/bookseller date but straight from the author's mout...er, blog.

message 116: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 730 comments Well that is great news!

message 117: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) He mentions a "she-goat" sacrifice in his post. I think in Pat Rothfuss's case, a big billy-goat is more appropriate.

Reasons?

He's hard headed to a fault (and his fans are glad, too)
He's determined and cant be bullied.

A she-goat might have given up. I used to own goats. The billy goat is more likely to stand his ground and keep pushing back indefinitely.

message 118: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie  Silverbane  (Nightlightknight) | 39 comments Without doubt one of my most anticipated books. I've just recently finished reading 'The Name of The Wind', and my first thought was ;"Please Sir, may I have some more?" The last time I felt this way was waiting for my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban to arive (incidnetally I finished it in one day, didnt sleep!)

Anyone know when it's scheduled to be out, hope it's somewhere round July because then I can get it for my birthday present!

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For As a matter of fact, Rothfuss announced yesterday on his blog that the official release date is March 1, 2011.

message 120: by Isolde (new)

Isolde Fallaere Well we have seen many many decisions about the arrivals of this next book. I am of thinking that to buy this Wise Mans Fear before I see the book in the person will not be such a good idea. I am minding to wait when the book is in bookstore. Then I we know it is published, yes?

message 121: by K.C. (new)

K.C. May I'm looking forward to reading this book.

message 122: by Alan (new)

Alan Duggan (dugie) I am only 160 pages into the first book and I know I will definitely be reading TWMF when it is published.

message 123: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kissinger (ashbert13) I have read every single thread in this column, and things look grim. So many realease dates . . . . So little releases. What is even more interesting is that another person before my time, Arabella (who you have all quoted and seemed to be the highlight of this text in regards to peoles' emotions regarding this issue) has made arguments about this and is apparantly gone. So if my thread is missing tomorrow, I will know why!

I respect authors' "artistic licenses," but this is becomming insane for a person who claimed to have written a book ALLL the way through and can't provide a text for 3 (or is it 4??) years counting. Martin? At least he gave a reason--he took a sabbatical. This guy made prior claims and is not following through.

Oh yes, I am a terrible reader. I should wait because I have to. Well, I am. So why not have a little bit of frustration unleashed? I am neither horrible or derogatory, and I am not writing to his blog. This is to you as readers.

I would just like to know what it is that takes a publisher soooooo long to come out with book two when it has already been written. Don't you? Oh, I know, it irritates some of you to read something that gives you serious anxiety that the writer may actually, in his fury push a publication date back due to my weee scribblings, but don't you think that he would love for it to be released? Don't you think that he would love to see this nasty obstacle in the past? So what is the real reason? What is it? Come on; you are all brains--you know that you are smart. Shed some light on this. If this author is really a part of it, do it anonymously--let us know it "is his family" or whatnot, but give a reason. We would all love to read your blogs, but not after so many years of being put off.

Oh and I did read his blog. He said that these kind of posts irritated him. Well, there are thousands of me. I sincerely doubt that I alone can put him off from the writing desk for that long. I still admire his work if not his ethic. What will this do in terms of sulks? Three days? Four? Maybe it would be good for him to realize that I, at the very least, who work very hard at my job, am getting irritated at having to pay a hardcover price years later because he needs "artistic license" after he claimed the entire thing was enitrely done. Look, I am just saying that we should be able to express how we feel.

I feel bad about this. I just had to read a final edition of the Wheel of Time series, and it was sad. So sad to know that Jordan wasn't there. He was absolutely amazing. So is Rothfuss. Jordand did soooo much. He stretched it but he was fan-freaking-tastic. Rothfuss has the makings of that man, but I feel like he is getting freaked out by the enormity of this project. Keep going Patrick--you are good, and you can do this. I really think you can.

message 124: by logankstewart (new)

logankstewart Yeah... the book comes out in March, ARCS have already been sent to reviewers/bloggers, and the release is nigh at hand. Too bad Pat's out doing a fundraiser to raise awareness for global hunger or taking some time away to spend with his newborn. Lord knows he should've been chained to his desk chair and forced to work until TWMF was handed in. I can only imagine how much better it would've been as opposed to this time-lavished masterpiece he's worked steadily on for these past few years.

message 125: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Logan wrote: "Yeah... the book comes out in March, ARCS have already been sent to reviewers/bloggers, and the release is nigh at hand. Too bad Pat's out doing a fundraiser to raise awareness for global hunger o..."

LOL, perfectly stated :D

message 126: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kissinger (ashbert13) Logan-

I see your point. I am a surgeon though, and time doesn't wait for me. I have to be where I have to be. I also try to find time to contribute to people who have very serious problems, but I still manage to choke through the rest of my very long days.

I really do understand where Rothfuss could be coming from with charity works, but don't you think that a lot of the charity is spawning from NOTW? Think about it. How long does it take to be forgotten, or at the very least, to be slowly diminished over the next few years. . . .

Do you not think that he would be better served by just doing what he does that make people drop their jaws in wonder? I actually cried over that novel and do not make a habit of doing so. With effort, he could be great. Oh, and wow, by publishing again?? Fundraisers for charities would generate even more income if we need to be monetary about the situation.

Rothfuss's newborn should take all precedence to any and all of this nonsense. A child is beyond sacred--it is our own future. Frankly, I would rather see that Patrick Rothfuss treasured his son in years to come so that I don't see some derelict wandering around with a missing father complex. I am sure that as a dad P.R. excels--especially in story telling; I would never ever ever ask or presume that he would ignore a child.

I do believe, however, that reallocating some time may suit all of his needs. I am selfish and speak for myself mostly, but I also speak for you, everyone out there, and realisticly for P.R. himself.

message 127: by Isolde (new)

Isolde Fallaere I believe that he is now not so good anymore. I have read the book the two times and it was not so bad. But I am thinking now that this man is such a lazy person. I do not want to wait for more of time to go by. Whether I am to buy this book or I am not to buy this book is stupid. This man says he writes books, yes? Books are done? But no they are not. This conversation is totally pointless.

message 128: by Duy (new)

Duy Well I'm pretty excited about the release, I've been waiting for a long while now.

I'm going to reread notw to prepare for the release. Anyone else doing the same?

1 3 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)
The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick Rothfuss (other topics)