Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Comments (showing 1-50 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 22, 2009 06:54PM) (new)

Release date: April 7, 2009

The second book in the series by our group author Patrick Rothfuss. It is not listed yet on Goodreads or on the author's own website but there is a introduction at Blogspot Fantasy Book Critic

edit : Found the link on goodreads : The Wise Man's Fear

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) I'm pretty sure it can be pre-ordered.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments Sandi wrote: "I'm pretty sure it can be pre-ordered."

Yes, Amazon has it available for pre-order.

message 4: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) I CAN"T WAIT!!!! *squees in fangirl delight but is quick to cover her own ears first...one can never be too careful!*

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL i like that and am sure Patrick will be pleased !

message 6: by Kevin L. (new)

Kevin L. (Imkevbo) What a tour de force I found The Name of the Wind to be. I can't wait for the sequel to arrive. I've banned the purchase of books for myself, well at least limited them to one per month, but this will be one that I'm there to purchase upon release.

Thanks for the update!

message 7: by Fox (new)

Fox (FoxMists) | 217 comments Caitrin wrote: "I CAN"T WAIT!!!! *squees in fangirl delight but is quick to cover her own ears first...one can never be too careful!*"

LOL! Agreed... however, I have a certain vocal range that I refuse to step out of so there will be no squealing lol.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Does anoyone know for sure if this is still due for an April release?

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments I'm getting kind of worried, because Amazon is no longer offering the preorder...

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Speaking of...I love Pat's blogs. Some of the stories he tells are hilarious.

message 11: by Fox (new)

Fox (FoxMists) | 217 comments Robin wrote: "Does anoyone know for sure if this is still due for an April release?"

I noticed that myself... not sure...

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Oh that doesn't bode well ....

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Also, in our system at work (B&N), it used to say the date of release, but now it doesn't say anything...

message 14: by Robin (last edited Feb 10, 2009 03:45AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Okay tht really makes me concerned. Patrick mentioned he may stop in during our NotW discussion we definitely have to ask him about it. Our of curiosity...Kelsey can you look up Avempartha in the B&N system and tell me what is listed for its release date?

message 15: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Sure! I work tomorrow, so I'll look it up then. =)

message 16: by Chris (last edited Feb 11, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 825 comments Well, here is what Amazon.com has as of today on the book's listing:

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Day 2) by Patrick Rothfuss (Hardcover - April 7, 2010)

Uggh....right after I got hooked on the story..

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments OMG!! They postponed it a whole year? That' just crazy!!

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 825 comments I haven't been able to find an explanation or confirmation anywhere. I've been watching Pat's website to see if anything appears there. Last year when it got postponed he had an explanation posted there.

message 19: by Kelsey (last edited Feb 11, 2009 11:56AM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments NO!!! Oh, that completely ruins my life. I have a broken heart.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Patrick did explain the reason for the original delay back in January 2008 (read that and you will understand better):

The unhappy announcement

It be worth the wait !

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments JJ wrote: "Patrick did explain the reason for the original delay back in January 2008 (read that and you will understand better):

The unhappy announcement

It be worth the wait !
"

Hmm ... I'm confused. That post is from January 2008 (more than a year ago) and it references the April 2009 release date for Book Two (which is apparently no longer the case).

Did I miss something in that long post that indicates it's been moved beyond April 2009?

message 22: by Kelsey (last edited Feb 12, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Well, Amazon and the Barnes & Noble system (where I work) used to have April 2009 listed as the release date, but then it went all funky and wouldn't list a release date for awhile. Now, Amazon says the release is scheduled for April 2010, so hopefully it's some sort of mistake...

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments My guess is that it is not a mistake - Someone had to purposefully take those dates out of B&N and Amazon. What I am a bit surprised by is there is (as he mentioned) a long lead time (for a major release where you need to get review copies out 4 - 5 months before release date) - so if the book was not "at the pressess in like Oct-Nov it would not be on shedule for April. It may be that they did not want to change the date prior to the holiday buying season so it would not effect book 1 sales. There are some that wait until the series is done (or the next book is available) to read and they might have been concerned about those people not buying. Based on the post I think he is dreading coming back for another delay post. We'll probably see something soon though since last time he blogged on the delay.

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) Well this is disapointing news to be sure. I read and liked Name of the Wind (though I was upset with the ending) and wanted to read the next one. I'll "stay tuned" for further developments.

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) I think it could be really bad news for the series. The first book did really well and got lots of great buzz. People were really excited about the April 2009 release of the sequel. Pushing it back to 2010 may spell doom because it's just too long between installments.

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) I agree - the time between installments is important. Unless you are "late to the game" as I am with Mistborn - glad the other two are out. Both Leslie's Griffen series and Michaels Crown Conspiracy are coming out soon looks like the new kids are being more responsive then the more established writers.

message 27: by Fox (new)

Fox (FoxMists) | 217 comments As Sharantyr would say: "Damn it to the nine hells!!"

;)

message 28: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Pat just wrote a new blog, but he didn't say anything about The Wise Man's Fear being delayed, so maybe that's a good sign!

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Bryce wrote: "Between this and Scott Lynch I'm totally bummed. 2009 was supposed to be the greatest year for fantasy in a long time, at least for me, and now all I have left to be excited for is Jim Butcher's ne..."

Dont' get discouraged Bryce there is more "new" fantasy out there then ever before - just go find something else and forget about the release dates of the other ones until they become real - that's what I try to do.

message 30: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Wait a second, do you know something I don't know? Because as far as I know, The Wise Man's Fear is still coming out in April. I checked Amazon, and it still says April 16, 2009. I'm crossing my fingers.

message 31: by Fox (new)

Fox (FoxMists) | 217 comments Kelsey wrote: "Wait a second, do you know something I don't know? Because as far as I know, The Wise Man's Fear is still coming out in April. I checked Amazon, and it still says April 16, 2009. I'm crossing my fi..."

Amazon is being indecisive. I checked and it said it had no release date and you cannot pre-order. Now after reading your post, I check again and it has a release date but still no pre-order (I signed up for notification).

message 32: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments It definitely used to have the preorder option on there about a month ago, so I started worrying about it when they took that down. I guess we'll see...

message 33: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments It's official. Patrick finally posted something on his blog today:

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/b...

message 34: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Awwww that totally sucks, but Pat is still awesome. I'm sure he's just making the book as great as it can possibly be and he has proven himself to be an author I will wait decades for, if need be. At least he let us down gently and his blogs are always entertaining and make me laugh, so that's a plus.

message 35: by Robin (last edited Feb 27, 2009 05:57AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments I agree this stinks and I still support him ...but I would prefer he "handle it differently". Setting expectations is a difficult thing but he has known for a long time that April was out of the question and he should have "fessed up sooner".

In his post he says "Whatever release date you've heard for book two is simply untrue. There is no release date because the book isn't finished yet."

But there WAS a release date - that he himself stated on January 17, 2008..."As of now, book two is scheduled for April of 2009." When it became evident that this date was in jeopardy he should have "come clean". To post now saying there was no date rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway it is things like this that makes me glad Michael wrote his whole series before publishing the first one!

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 825 comments That was the funniest bad news I've ever read, I think....thanks for the update, Jon....

And it's true. We'd rather wait a little while longer than have him rush out a book that wasn't up to the level he set in Book 1.....

Just remember, it is Amazon that puts up those fake release dates in the hopes of pulling in sales. Pat isn't the first author to have this issue with them..

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Chris wrote: "Just remember, it is Amazon that puts up those fake release dates in the hopes of pulling in sales. Pat isn't the first author to have this issue with them..

But Pat was the one that blogged about April 2009 - See my post #37. I'm afraid we can't lay that one on Amazon.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 825 comments ok, I see that now.....it's certainly frustrating at any rate...

message 39: by Fox (new)

Fox (FoxMists) | 217 comments Sad, but I'm okay to wait. Then again, I'm also okay to wait on Martin, Jordan's series, and Auel's series - all three of which have had massive delays (some as long as a decade). So perhaps I am an exceedingly patient person. I just want a good book.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read in a blog that Patrick has 6 books planned in this series, if that is true it will be a long wait till the series concludes.

message 41: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Hmm...I had heard it was a trilogy. Maybe he changed his mind?

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Wow really? I too thought it was 3. This thing is getting pretty long in the tooth and there is only one book out so far.

message 43: by Duy (new)

Duy I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think I read somewhere that it was suppose to be 2 trilogy. The first being about his past and the second should be revolving around the current events that are happening.

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments I think that has long gone about the wayside - book one is only a portion of his past and it sounds like book 2 is getting pretty big. I think this is going to be a VERY long series.

message 45: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments I hope that it is longer than its original three books. I could read Rothfuss forever and ever...

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments I actually was meaning longer in "time from first book comes out until they are all done" - but ya many pages is good ;-)

message 47: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 62 comments Haha I see.

message 48: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (SolemnFolly) Bryce wrote: "I refuse to believe that GRRM will ever release a new book. He's become the Duke Nukem Forever of fantasy..."

I know this quote isn't about the topic, but I had to comment about how much I loved this reference. I rarely laugh while reading forum posts, but this was a winner. Thank you, Bryce!

message 49: by Martha (new)

Martha (tilla) | 178 comments Dance with Dragons is supposed to be out this year; The Wise Man's Fear will be out (hopefully) next April as will Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves. I'm looking forward to Shadow Magic (sequel to Havemercy) and the next in Stirling's series about the Change (Sword of the Lady). And yeah, I know that one's strictly science-fiction/alternate universe stuff but still righteous good.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I am really excited to read this one, but I'm glad Rothfuss cares enough about it to work on it for so long, so I'm content to wait :)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)
The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick Rothfuss (other topics)