Urban Fantasy series' discussion

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about A Discovery of Witches
Book Of the Month > August BOTM: A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

JP Reads (JPFantasyReads) | 323 comments Mod
Our August BOTM by group vote is:

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)

Please read and discuss below =)

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) Cool I'm in for this one!

Noodle | 4 comments I've just finished this one, great timing. My review can be read at: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

This book had wonderful moments and I really wanted to love it. But it is long.

Jessica | 65 comments I am a little wary of this one because I remember reading up about it and having a big mental no.... maybe I will see if I can download a sample chapter to try before committing

Nicky | 68 comments Originally read on kindle but going to reread in audio.Some bits were a little cheezy but worth it(mostly for future bks I think)

Lisa Goldman | 9 comments I read this last year and had a book club meeting at my house about it. It took place about Halloween which is when I had my club meeting. I haven't read it since then but I'll try. I remember the beginning feeling a bit long but it got better.

Kirsty Vizard (kirsty_vizard) | 4 comments I have just bought this in paperback . . . have just read the first chapter of another book but may give this a try instead . . .will get back to you :-)

Nikki (WithereRose) | 137 comments Just got my copy from the library yesterday.....didn't know it was going to be such a long book so I'll try and make my way through it, but I'm finishing Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) first :D

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) I started this today but got bored and gave up after half an hour! It has mixed reviews so it wasn't high on my tbr list. I have quite a few MUST read NOW new releases that I'd much rather read, so that's what I'm going to do!

message 10: by JP (new)

Rachael wrote: "I started this today but got bored and gave up after half an hour! It has mixed reviews so it wasn't high on my tbr list. I have quite a few MUST read NOW new releases that I'd much rather read, so..."

Which ones? I just got Gunmetal Magic but what other good releases are there?

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) The Care and Feeding of Stray VampiresWhich was awesome and waiting for Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6)& Two Weeks' Notice (Revivalist, #2)Later this month!

message 12: by JP (new)

Rachael wrote: "The Care and Feeding of Stray VampiresWhich was awesome and waiting for Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6)&Two Weeks' Notice (Revivalist, #2)Later this month!"

Haven't read any of those... thanks for the recs!

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) Stray Vamps is a stand alone book connected to the Jane Jamieson series, 2 weeks is the second book in Rachel Caine's new zombie series and Biting cold is no 5 or 6 in Chicagoland Vampires all good!

Desandra (dimples10) Just picked up my copy and boy is this is thick book! Hope I can finish it by the end of August.

Jennifer (Jennifer001) | 21 comments Just finished " A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)" and I really like it. The first 150 pages were a bit tough to get through, but the rest of the novel was awesome. I'm going to read the 2nd book now! Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)

Nikki (WithereRose) | 137 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just finished "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)" and I really like it. The first 150 pages were a bit tough to get through, but the rest of the novel was awesome. I'm going to read the 2nd book n..."

Wow glad to hear its gonna get awesome
Cuz I'm just barely trudging through this one and am on page 94 and was about to quit. Thanks for the motivation to keep going :)

message 17: by JP (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Just finished "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)" and I really like it. The first 150 pages were a bit tough to get through, but the rest of the novel was awesome. I'm going to read the 2nd book n..."

Yup that is definitely good to know

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) Hmmmmmm! I may give it another go at the end of the month!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 15 comments I'm almost finished with this one. This book feels strongly like it was insprired by Twilight. It was sooooo slow. The last 33% seemed to have picked up and made it exciting to read. Still, it is way longer than it needed to be.

Kaarinedm | 12 comments I read this at the time of publication last year, and I loved it.. it was so good. I am looking forward to getting my hands on book 2. It was long, but I tend to feel that books with length tend to have more depth (which is not always true but in this case it was!)

Kirsty Vizard (kirsty_vizard) | 4 comments It didn't take me long to finish A Discovery of Witches once I got started . . .I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it :-) . . .I found the scientific gabble heavy at times and admit to skipping pages but overall the story was absorbing and interesting, as well as being tense and romantic. I have been able to get hold of the sequel at a special price and look forward to reading that . . . .

message 22: by JP (new)

Kirsty wrote: "It didn't take me long to finish A Discovery of Witches once I got started . . .I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it :-) . . .I found the scientific gabble heavy at times and admit to skipping ..."

So you liked it? I'm hearing mixed reviews.. a lot of people are just saying it's loooooong

Emily i bought it...read a few pages....and since have read a couple of other books. I am planning on picking it back up and delving into it, just as soon as i am done with the anthology i am reading.

Kirsty Vizard (kirsty_vizard) | 4 comments Jacki wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "It didn't take me long to finish A Discovery of Witches once I got started . . .I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it :-) . . .I found the scientific gabble heavy at times and adm..."

once I started it the length didn't bother me . . think it took me a couple of days to read (but I haven't been sleeping great so its been good to have something I could sink my teeth into!) . . . .I enjoyed the mixture of history/paranormal/science and thought the love story was written beautifully . . . I think all the comparisons with Twilight are unfair but it seems to be happening a lot with human/vampire love stories . . . . if you haven't read it hun I think you'd enjoy it . . . xx

message 25: by JP (new)

Kirsty wrote: "Jacki wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "It didn't take me long to finish A Discovery of Witches once I got started . . .I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it :-) . . .I found the scientific gabble heavy at..."

Thanks Kirsty =)

Ivy (IvyF) | 9 comments I'm only on chapter 3 so far, but this book is pretty slow so far. I've heard some pretty rave reviews from other people so I'm sticking with it, but I was hoping this book would be more engaging up front.

Nikki (WithereRose) | 137 comments I just finished this book last night (stayed up till 4am to do so even though I worked at 10 cuz there was just so much happening! I ended up really enjoying the book and will definitely read the next one after I read a few other titles first :) I'm reading Brownies and Broomsticks to take a break and have a easy read :) (mainly got this book cuz of the cover lol good so far though)

★Rachael★ (jimbunni) Ivy wrote: "I'm only on chapter 3 so far, but this book is pretty slow so far. I've heard some pretty rave reviews from other people so I'm sticking with it, but I was hoping this book would be more engaging u..."

Let me know if you make it all the way through cos after 30 mins of reading I was bored!

Maybe I need to be convinced!? Anyone brave enough to try and convince me to continue reading it?!

Ivy (IvyF) | 9 comments It's getting better now, but it's still not the most captivating read I've ever come across.

Lisa Goldman | 9 comments Ivy wrote: "I'm only on chapter 3 so far, but this book is pretty slow so far. I've heard some pretty rave reviews from other people so I'm sticking with it, but I was hoping this book would be more engaging u..."

Rachael wrote: "Ivy wrote: "I'm only on chapter 3 so far, but this book is pretty slow so far. I've heard some pretty rave reviews from other people so I'm sticking with it, but I was hoping this book would be mor..."

Rachel and Ivy, I read this last October and yes it was slow in the beginning, probably the first 100 pages or so, but it does get better and is worth it to stick it out. It has both romance and action. It really leads up to the second book, which I bought (and managed to get a signed copy) but haven't read. I don't know if either of you like reading books and then checking out the movies but the rights have been bought by Warner Brothers (I think I have the right company).

Amber (librarianatthelake) | 5 comments I agree that the first part is slow but I think the author does this to set up the characters. They both have a huge academic backgrounds both in history and science. It just seems you can't rush through parts of that and it does make the story seem like it goes nowhere plus the author herself has an academic/history background so I'm sure some of that played a part. Once you past those parts, the story does pick up. I don't agree with comparing it to Twilight (and yes I did read and like that series). This book is so much more that it would be like comparing apples to oranges. The slow build up of the romance and action lends it crediability. I didn't feel the main characters or the minor ones either, got lost in the romance nor the action parts which let me get to know the characters better. I thoroughly enjoyed the history aspects and just added depth and layers especially to the vampire characters. I am very glad the author choose to deal with these characters in a mature fashion. I will absolutely read the next book.

Kat Klein | 146 comments Okay, I got thru several chapters, but I just can't get into the series. Have to set it down until I'm in a more academic mind set, and pick it back up later.

Gennesse | 62 comments Got this book from the library, but I kept hearing how slow it was, and it was time to return it. I returned it. But after reading some posts about how it does pick up, I think i will try it again. :)

Nikki (WithereRose) | 137 comments I just picked up Shadow of Night at the library and am looking forward to reading it after I finish Grave Witch :) a discovery of witches was really good once it picked up :) excited to read more

Deborah | 1 comments I really enjoyed reading this book. It was on my "to read" list at the end of the semester and is the one I picked for fun reading this summer. I keep reading that some people think it runs too slow. I read it in a couple of days and if it gets bogged down, it's in the historical information that overlaps with art history and alchemy. The author is crafting a huge background to draw upon because it really does set up the 2nd book really well. You can tell she's an academic though, so maybe reading it with the idea that you are learning about some obscure things in the realm of academia might be helpful. If you are looking for titillating sex or the stereotypical vampire - you won't find that. She has remade the supernatural world in a new way -- which I find kind of refreshing (even if confusing because it changes the stereotypes for me).

Ivy (IvyF) | 9 comments I can see why other people enjoyed this book so much but it just wasn't for me. It seemed a lot like a Jane Austen or a Bronte book only with supernatural creatures. There was too much romance for my taste and not enough mystery or action. Even in the scenes where the main character is in danger or being injured she stills is pining about her love interest. That just doesn't strike me as very realistic, but that's just me. I would recommend this to someone who likes old-fashioned romance stories such as Jane Eyre, but not for the modern sci-fi fantasy reader who likes things like Patricia Briggs or Charlaine Harris.

Amanda Dorrier | 6 comments Nikki wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Just finished "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)" and I really like it. The first 150 pages were a bit tough to get through, but the rest of the novel was awesome. I'm going to re..."

Very true I found that to be true..the first part was hard..but once I got past that point I have found it hard to put the book down.

Valerie the bookworm | 4 comments I loved the book from beginning to end...I guess I am used to slow starters or something...I mean Stephen King is my favorite author and he does that ALL the time. I feel like a slow starter (if it turns out to be good) is worth it because I get invested in the characters like friends I have taken time to get to know. I fell in love with Matthew.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Discovery of Witches (other topics)
Magic Strikes (other topics)
The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires (other topics)
Biting Cold (other topics)
Two Weeks' Notice (other topics)
More...