Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
This topic is about Sweet Evil
Awesome Author Interviews > Wendy Higgins Live Interview

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alexandra  Harris (Heaven2EarthReviews) After earning a Creative Writing degree from George Mason University and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Radford, I taught high school English until becoming a mommy. I've always had a heart for teens, and writing YA stories gives me the opportunity to delve into the ambiguities of those pivotal years before adulthood.
I live in the D.C. area with my husband, daughter, and son.

These are the starter interview questions for our lovely Mrs Higgins! Remember this thread stays open for the month of August while we read her first book Sweet Evil.

Thanks Wendy for the interview and the giveaways! Guess we will just jump right in, Tell us about your series The Sweet Trilogy. Where did you come up with the idea behind the series?

Do you have any tips for someone who would want to start writing a book?

How would you describe your creative process?

If you could have dinner with one author, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I know Sweet Hope (The Sweet Trilogy #2) is going to be epic, just like your first book Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1) have you started working on it yet, and if so is it easier to write the second book when your characters already have so much personality?

Alright guys your turn what do you wanna say to Wendy Higgins!?!

Aria (Blue Lily and Blue) (bluelilyandblue) Hey Wendy! :) i'm a fan of your book!
I serioisly love the connection between Anna and Kaidan plus the mythology of the angels and the fallen angels.
How did you come up with it? It's very original and intriguing!

Greay job Wendy!

Laura Lungu (lunguluver3) | 7 comments Hello there Wendy! :D
Another question from a fan, if you could play a part in The Sweet Trilogy, who would it be and why?
And another, one, would you ever consider taking it into the theaters?

You have an amazing work going on, keep it up! :D

Jan Bethel (jan_bitz) | 10 comments Hi Wendy! Your book has been earning praises here in Goodreads that now I'm hunting all the local bookstores here in my place just to find it and read it.. It sounds really amazing and I can't wait to be lost in your story.. I'm about to read it..

Out of all the paranormal creatures, why did you choose angels and fallen angels?

Also, who's your favorite character in your story? Or the character you had the most fun writing about?

=))

Diane (DianeLefencer) | 1 comments Do you ever have signings or other events in the DC area? Anything scheduled for Sweet Evil #2?

message 6: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Hi everyone!! I'm so excited to chat with you and answer all of these questions this month! I PROMISE I'll respond to everyone, but the next week is crazy for me. I'm out of town in Georgia visiting my dad right now (just me and my two kids, 6yo & 3yo). We're making the 11-hour drive home tomorrow, and then on Friday I leave for the scbwi conference in L.A., and I'll return Monday night. Whew! Things should slow down at that point! :)

message 7: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Diane wrote: "Do you ever have signings or other events in the DC area? Anything scheduled for Sweet Evil #2?"

http://www.wendyhigginswrites.com/p/a...
Hi Diane! Above is the link to any signings. Nothing for the DC area right now. And we're still waiting for the 2nd book to be taken to the acquisitions board by my editor, probably this fall. Eek!

message 8: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Sandee (loves Ash and Daemon) wrote: "Hey Wendy! :) i'm a fan of your book!
I serioisly love the connection between Anna and Kaidan plus the mythology of the angels and the fallen angels.
How did you come up with it? It's very original..."

Thanks, Sandee!
Honestly...this is the hardest question for me, and as you can see from the others in the thread, it's also the most popular! *bites nails* I really don't know where the ideas come from - they just...come. I'd only ever written chic-lit stuff, contempt romance stories, just for fun or class assignments. I didn't set out to write a paranormal. I'd recently read Twilight, and Good Omens (a satire with angels and demons). I've always been a romance fan, and I got the idea in my head about a young girl who was torn by her "good" and "bad" sides, just like all people are, but much more extreme for her. And then this sexy, tortured, bad boy popped into my head and I imagined the scene in the hotel room (chapter 17 - pivotal moment in the story - you'll know it when you get there, lol!). At the time I didn't know where the scene was taking place, how they met, or what they'd gone through to get to this point, but I knew it needed to be told. I was obsessed with their story, and the scenes came to me like puzzle pieces out of order. Fitting it all together was one of the hardest things I've ever done. And one of the most exciting.

message 9: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Okies, I'm off to the water park in Atlanta...will be back to answer more soon! Thanks everyone!

Jan Bethel (jan_bitz) | 10 comments Wendy wrote: "Hi everyone!! I'm so excited to chat with you and answer all of these questions this month! I PROMISE I'll respond to everyone, but the next week is crazy for me. I'm out of town in Georgia visiti..."

Wow! That's a lot! =)) Have a safe trip, Wendy. Enjoy! =D

message 11: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Jan Bethel wrote: "Hi Wendy! Your book has been earning praises here in Goodreads that now I'm hunting all the local bookstores here in my place just to find it and read it.. It sounds really amazing and I can't wait..."

Hey Jan!
I'd just finished reading Good Omens about an angel and demon, so I already had them on my mind, but I think I've always been a bit fascinated by angel/demon lore and the spirituality aspects. I hadn't read any YA angel books at that point, so it seemed like a wide-open subject area for me - so many possibilities!
I love Anna in a protective, big sister kind of way, and I think some of my own 15/16-year-old self may have seeped in (although I never had her will-power, although I also didn't have any angel blood, lol). But Kaidan was the most fun to write. Having him in my head was always a wild ride.
I hope you enjoy!

message 12: by Wendy (last edited Jul 31, 2012 03:20PM) (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Laura wrote: "Hello there Wendy! :D
Another question from a fan, if you could play a part in The Sweet Trilogy, who would it be and why?
And another, one, would you ever consider taking it into the theaters?

..."

Laura, I'd love to sell film or TV rights, and we've had some interested parties sniffing around, but so far no offers have been made that I know of (the author is always last to find out, it seems). I guess I'd probably have to play Patti since I'm in that age range and I tend to be very nurturing and mother-hen-ish. :)

Marie-Claude aka MC | 343 comments This is amazing, thank you Wendy for sharing your precious time with us all! It is deeply appreciated! =)

Everyone, take note that Sweet Evil is one of our BOTM for August, feel free to join our discussion about the book itself right here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Aria (Blue Lily and Blue) (bluelilyandblue) Wendy wrote: "Sandee (loves Ash and Daemon) wrote: "Hey Wendy! :) i'm a fan of your book!
How did y..."

Hahaha! :D I am so in love with you Wendy! Thanks for answering my question. I really love how you put it all together. It was very put together which is pretty awesome! And yeah I am totally biting my nails all throughout that scene! Ohhhh I was wishing that it was me with Kaidan and not Anna! Hahaha.

Nuzaifa - Word Contessa  (N-u-z-a-i-f-a) Hi Wendy!Just wanted to say that I read Sweet Evil & totally loved it!And I'm really can't wait to read the next book.Kai was totally swoon-worthy! =D

message 16: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Nuzaifa wrote: "Hi Wendy!Just wanted to say that I read Sweet Evil & totally loved it!And I'm really can't wait to read the next book.Kai was totally swoon-worthy! =D"

Thank you, Nuzaifa!! :)

message 17: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Question from original post: "Do you have any tips for someone who would want to start writing a book?"

Answer: WRITE. Yes, it really is that simple. Write whatever comes to mind. Write what's on your heart. Don't think about it until afterward. Just write! Getting that original first draft finished is the most important part, and don't expect perfection of yourself. I do probably a hundred+ revisions on each book. My first drafts are atrocious. But it can all be smoothed out and enhanced in the editing/revision/drafting process. Get yourself some writing friends and critique for one another. Support each other.

message 18: by Blujeanbooks96 (last edited Aug 02, 2012 12:18AM) (new)

Blujeanbooks96 (wwwgoodreadscomblujean_books96) | 112 comments Hi Wendy :) I must admit, I haven't actually gotten to read your book yet (the horror!!) BUT I CANNOT WAIT to as soon as I get my paws on it :)
So, these questions are a little more based on interest (I'll try not to bombard you) :)
First, what was your inspiration for Sweet Evil?
Did you have a plan for your novel? Or did it sort of come to you as you were writing?
Was it your intent to write a young adult novel? And if so, why?
What parts of your novel (and novels you have read) did/do you pay more attention to? That is, do you feel your characters are the most vital part of your novel, and therefore should be focused on more? Or is it maybe the story line? Or perhaps they are all equally important?
Thankyou so much :)

message 19: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Blujeanbooks96 wrote: "Hi Wendy :) I must admit, I haven't actually gotten to read your book yet (the horror!!) BUT I CANNOT WAIT to as soon as I get my paws on it :)
So, these questions are a little more based on intere..."

Hi there! As far as inspiration, I think this book was really inspired by everything in my life up to that point - people I'd known, things I'd seen, books I'd read, my spiritual wonderings, heartbreaks I'd suffered - just everything! I did not set out with a plan. Scenes came to me as I was writing. It was sort of an insane process.
I used to teach high school English before I became a mom, and I was really missing working with teens. I think it's such a special, vital, vibrant age of transition. Being a writer for teens is the best of both worlds for me, and I'll probably never go back to teaching because this is my dream job. I get to be creative AND interact with teens. :)
My writing is definitely character-driven, and more commercial than literary. I'm all about the thoughts and emotions of the characters. The storyline, for me, was sort of an afterthought, and definitely more difficult. Plotting is hard for me.
Thanks so much for the questions - I hope you enjoy Sweet Evil!
Happy reading!

Ann Marie | 5 comments Hi Wendy! I just finished your book and I can NOT wait for book 2!!! Sweet Evil was not at all how I thought it would be yet it was so well written, so descriptive, and characters you fall for that I absolute loved it! Great job!!

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I just had to ask...but, is this book only available in ebook edition, or is it available in stores?

message 22: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby | 1334 comments Hi, Unfortunately I haven't read your book yet, (But am expecting it in the mail this week! :) and I was just wondering a few things,
Is there going to be a spin-off series for Sweet Evil?
Have you got any ideas for other books/series you might write?
Do you know how many books are going to be in the Sweet Evil series?

Thanks!

message 23: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Pearl Ozera wrote: "I just had to ask...but, is this book only available in ebook edition, or is it available in stores?"

Hi! Yes, it's also available in stores.

message 24: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Wendy wrote: "Blujeanbooks96 wrote: "Hi Wendy :) I must admit, I haven't actually gotten to read your book yet (the horror!!) BUT I CANNOT WAIT to as soon as I get my paws on it :)
So, these questions are a litt..."

Hi Gabby! I'm not planning a spinoff series after I finish the trilogy. I have another book written (an Irish story with magic, Faeries and Leprechauns, oh boy). I need to revise that one and send it to my agent soon.

message 25: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Ann Marie wrote: "Hi Wendy! I just finished your book and I can NOT wait for book 2!!! Sweet Evil was not at all how I thought it would be yet it was so well written, so descriptive, and characters you fall for that..."

Thank you so much, Ann Marie! So glad you enjoyed it! :-)

message 26: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby | 1334 comments Wendy, do you have a favourite quote (From either your books, or really, just any)? or advice for aspiring authors?

MahRukh (Mahrukhk) | 3 comments Hi Wendy,i just want to tell you that you are the best.I loved sweet evil and just cant wait for the second book.I have added it to my favourites.

message 28: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Gabby wrote: "Wendy, do you have a favourite quote (From either your books, or really, just any)? or advice for aspiring authors?"

Gabby, I LOVE this quote from one of Emily Dickinson's poems, and I've even included it in my sequel. :)

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all

message 29: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Mahrukh wrote: "Hi Wendy,i just want to tell you that you are the best.I loved sweet evil and just cant wait for the second book.I have added it to my favourites."

Thank you, Mahrukh! That means so much! *hugs*

Sarah (sarah_janis) As a reader perpective, how do you see Kai and Anna's relationship?
Do you think Kai is in love with Anna or do you think he sees in her something that can "make him free" and that's exactly what terrifies him?

message 31: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Sarah wrote: "As a reader perpective, how do you see Kai and Anna's relationship?
Do you think Kai is in love with Anna or do you think he sees in her something that can "make him free" and that's exactly what ..."

Hi Sarah! I think Kai is scared because Anna makes him feel ALL SORTS of things he's never felt before. He is a rational thinker, and in his mind he knows it would be dangerous and complicated and distracting to let himself feel for her. While Anna is an emotional thinker so she sees things quite the opposite. Lots will be revealed in book two. :)

Sarah (sarah_janis) Wendy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "As a reader perpective, how do you see Kai and Anna's relationship?
Do you think Kai is in love with Anna or do you think he sees in her something that can "make him free" and that's..."

Ahh Can't wait to read it!
Sweet Evil has been a current and favorite topic whenever I talk with my friends. We can't get enough of it.
You really did a excelent job :)

message 33: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Sarah wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "As a reader perpective, how do you see Kai and Anna's relationship?
Do you think Kai is in love with Anna or do you think he sees in her something that can "make him fr..."

Aw, thanks Sarah!

message 34: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby | 1334 comments Wendy, i've heard some rumours, and just wanted to check with you, first that your publishers aren't going to publish your second book. Is this true?

message 35: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Gabby wrote: "Wendy, i've heard some rumours, and just wanted to check with you, first that your publishers aren't going to publish your second book. Is this true?"

Hi Gabby,
It's being brought to acquisitions in two weeks, so we should hear news about it in September. Yay! It's taken awhile, but I'm feeling hopeful now. I'll let everyone know when I hear something.

message 36: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby | 1334 comments Wendy wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Wendy, i've heard some rumours, and just wanted to check with you, first that your publishers aren't going to publish your second book. Is this true?"

Hi Gabby,
It's being brought to..."

Okay, cool :)

Sarah (sarah_janis) Hey Wendy, do have bonus scenes from Sweet Evil hidden in your sleeves?
I'm missing those characters already :P

message 38: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Sarah wrote: "Hey Wendy, do have bonus scenes from Sweet Evil hidden in your sleeves?
I'm missing those characters already :P"

Heehee, I've been thinking about this. The summer has been entirely too insane to concentrate, but once the kids get back to school in early September I'd love to write a Kaidan POV scene, and start book 3. :)

Sarah (sarah_janis) Wendy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hey Wendy, do have bonus scenes from Sweet Evil hidden in your sleeves?
I'm missing those characters already :P"

Heehee, I've been thinking about this. The summer has been entirely t..."

*makes a happy dance*

Michele Miller (Chelemybelles) | 821 comments Wendy, before August is up I just wanted to thank you for being here this month. Sweet Evil was truly one of my favorite reads this summer and I can't wait to read book 2. Would love a little Kai POV action too!

message 41: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Higgins (WendyHiggins) Michele (chelemybelle) wrote: "Wendy, before August is up I just wanted to thank you for being here this month. Sweet Evil was truly one of my favorite reads this summer and I can't wait to read book 2. Would love a little Ka..."

Thanks Michele! That means so much! :)

Marie-Claude aka MC | 343 comments Yes, thank you so much Wendy for being with us this month. The 'interview' was a little quiet at the end, but I'm so happy you shared your time with us here in this new group!! Thanks a lot!! =)

unread topics | mark unread