Karen Chance Fans discussion

Ilona Andrews
This topic is about Ilona Andrews
Book Corner > Ilona Andrews Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,265) (1265 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 11010 comments Mod
So who here will be reading this when it comes out? I pre-ordered the paperback so hopefully it will arrive at some point next week, cos I can't wait to get started.

If you're reading it, feel free to share your thoughts here. I hope we can get some discussion going. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if I will read it or not when it first comes out - I'm on A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin right now, and then I need to read the final book, A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin. Damn you for bringing this series to my attention! ;-) I've read nothing but this series for the last week or more - it's really hosed my TBR pile.

Oh, by the way, you know the group will have Gunmetal Magic on Tuesday when it comes out! It's a bonus BOM for us!

message 3: by Debi (new)

Debi (DebiAnne) | 2 comments I'll be reading it!

message 4: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥  (mylheage) | 4954 comments Mod
Me too!

message 5: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Duane, LOL, another ASOIAF addict!! Love it! But, hey, Dance with Dragons is only a thousand pages long. What do you mean you won't be finished by Tuesday?!! ;)

Debi & Sarah, Awesome! Can't wait. I just checked my order and my copy was actually dispatched on Friday, so hopefully it should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.

There better be some scenes with Da Hotness or I'll be disappointed. Even if it's just him prowling around the Keep growling at people. Angry Curran gets me all excited! :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lannister wrote: "Duane, LOL, another ASOIAF addict!! Love it! But, hey, Dance with Dragons is only a thousand pages long. What do you mean you won't be finished by Tuesday?!! ;)"

I'm only about 500 pages into Feast for Crows - normally a thousand page book would take two days to read, but I've other issues going on as well. :-(

Anyway, I might make time for Gunmetal Magic; I just have a feeling Andrea is going to cave into that smuck Rafael and that'll piss me off!

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2052 comments I'll be reading it. I had pre-ordered the kindle version, but I won it as a prize in another group and they'll be sending it to me on Tuesday. Hopefully, I'll be able to start it soon.

message 8: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments yayyyyyyy! I'm so excited for this book. :) I kindle pre ordered it, hopefully it comes super early tomorrow lol

message 9: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Duane wrote: "Anyway, I might make time for Gunmetal Magic; I just have a feeling Andrea is going to cave into that smuck Rafael and that'll piss me off! "

I suspect this will happen too. I know you like Andrea so that's too bad. Personally, I'm thinking HOT BOUDA SEX!!
:D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

With Rafael's ego, hot Bouda sex would be him and his hand (Rosie Palmer and her five sisters!).

message 11: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Rosie Palmer?! LMFAO!! Haven't heard that one before. :D

message 12: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Lannister have you read magic gifts? (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Zeenat, yeah, I had read Magic Gifts and I'd forgotten about that scene. Cool! I hope there's of politics, cos I love that.

message 14: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments well we don't see it cause we're in Kate's POV, so it's easy to miss ;)

message 15: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

Ilona Andrews on FB.

While I remember: if you did not read Magic Gifts, read it first before Gunmetal magic. It's in the same book toward the end.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy A | 10 comments I'm very excited to read this. It'll be on my Kindle tomorrow bright and early! One of the best things about the Kindle is not having to wait for delivery or going to the bookstore to pick it up.

message 17: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments I am hoping Kindle will release it a few hours early like they sometimes do, so I can read it earlier. If I start at 8 PM or earlier tonight, I may be able to finish it by bedtime (you know if I stay up till midnight or 1 lol).

message 18: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Agreed, Amy! Except I bought the paperback cos it was much cheaper and it's not here yet LOL! Oh well, I'll catch up.

Sarah, thanks for that. It's good to know.

message 19: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Guess what my kindle just got? :::Rushing off to go read gunmetal magic::::

message 20: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Read through chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments done!

message 22: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Wow that was fast! My copy arrived today, so I'll probably start tomorrow or Thursday, though I don't think I'll get much read before the weekend. Can't wait to discuss with you, though.:)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2052 comments I hope to start soon. I have like three books going right now.

message 24: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

I'm still reading True, the Vutch fanfic, though there's only a tiny bit left and I might just finish it tonight if I stay awake long enough. I see in the paperback version that Magic Gifts is there as a bonus extra at the back of the book. Presume the ebook version has that too? Just mentioning it, in light of IA saying that we should read Magic Gifts first, if we haven't already.

I want to start soon though, cos in another week, Biting Cold comes out, and I'm keen to read that one as soon as it's released too. I'll probably do another readalong thread for that one too if anyone's interested?? (I can't remember if I asked that already? I know I meant to. I'm losing it!)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2052 comments I think you did say there would be a readalong thread for Biting Cold.

message 26: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Thank you Mello, I guess I'm not quite bonkers just yet! :D

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilson | 405 comments Lannister wrote: "So who here will be reading this when it comes out? I pre-ordered the paperback so hopefully it will arrive at some point next week, cos I can't wait to get started.

If you're reading it, feel fre..."

I've been busy with kid and house stuff today but will hopefully get and read it tomorrow.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilson | 405 comments Duane wrote: "Lannister wrote: "Duane, LOL, another ASOIAF addict!! Love it! But, hey, Dance with Dragons is only a thousand pages long. What do you mean you won't be finished by Tuesday?!! ;)"

I'm only about 5..."

I read the bit about Raphael and his crap with bringing his chick and his comments, rubbing it in Andrea's face when she tried to apologize and he pissed me off too. Makes me doubt him but I have faith in Ilona Andrews. Maybe there will be more to it. And he needs to grow up and grovel after getting a taste of his own medicine before Andrea takes him back. Or she could end up with someone else.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilson | 405 comments Lannister wrote: "Rosie Palmer?! LMFAO!! Haven't heard that one before. :D"

I've heard it as Rosie Palm.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilson | 405 comments Lannister wrote: "I'm still reading True, the Vutch fanfic, though there's only a tiny bit left and I might just finish it tonight if I stay awake long enough. I see in the paperback version that Magic Gifts is ther..."

I'll read that too.

message 31: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Yup, Magic Gifts is in the back of the Kindle version.

And Lannister, you did ask me if I was reading Biting cold, and I said yes, and you said you were thinking of opening up a thread for us to all read along :)

(If I can remember this, why can't I remember where I put my keys? arghhhh)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished the book. I can see why IA did what they did, but I have nothing to say on the book as a whole. I gave it 3 stars.

message 33: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Aug 01, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "Or she could end up with someone else."

If we have to get a HEA, I really hope this is what will happen.

Btw, I guess it's a given that da Hotness shows up. But please tell me if Derek is in it as well!

message 34: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

The book should be here tomorrow but I first want to read other books. But soon...

message 35: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Zeenat wrote: "Yup, Magic Gifts is in the back of the Kindle version.

And Lannister, you did ask me if I was reading Biting cold, and I said yes, and you said you were thinking of opening up a thread for us to a..."

Thank you Zeenat! I'm glad people pay at least some attention to my ramblings LMAO!

Duane, so Andrea ends up with Raphael then?? I'm guessing that's what happens from your comment. :)

I'm starting tonight.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2012 04:22AM) (new)

@Lannister - Another one bites the dust....and I'm not saying that is what it is; there were just many things that bothered me about this book. The 3 stars isn't because it didn't turn out the way I wanted. ;-)

message 37: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Duane, well, you've got me curious now. I'm pretty much assuming Andrea ends up with Raphael though. I hope it is of the standard of the Kate Daniels books, and not IA's Edge series, which I wasn't that keen on.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2052 comments I haven't started, yet. Trying to see if I can finish reading The Book Thief first.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy A | 10 comments I finished the book yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I guess, for me, and what I know about the characters there was only one way it could go with them so I was ready for it. I enjoyed seeing the realizations that both Andrea and Raphael go through (don't want to give anything away).

When I first found out that there would be a whole book featuring Andrea as the narrator I didn't know if I would like it. I liked her and Raphael's short story and I like her character in the main Kate Daniels series. I just didn't know if a full-length novel would work, but Ilona Andrews definitely give Andrea her own voice. Thinking of it that way, I really think they did well with the book. It was a good read.

message 40: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Good review Amy, thanks! I wondered as well how a whole book set in the Kate universe, but not from Kate's POV, would work. I know there have been shorts (particularly the Curran shorts, which are delish!), but, as you say, a whole book is a different matter. I'm glad you liked it and feel that Andrea can carry the whole story herself.

Can't wait to get started now. :)

message 41: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments I still gave it 5 stars, cause I really liked it, but I understand the issues some people had.

Let's see Andrea and Raphael (view spoiler)

They mythology (view spoiler)

KD world in general (view spoiler)

ummmmm . . . I wish there was more Derek? lol but I wish that in every book In case you can't tell, he's my favorite male, and yes I feel a little dirty about lusting after a 19 year old book character LOL. Don't worry I temper it with the U.S. olympics water polo team . . .

message 42: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

I've hardly had the chance to read much so far but, in between making a web site for my nephew's football team this weekend, I'm going to get stuck in and will post my thoughts.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilson | 405 comments Finished reading Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5) by Ilona Andrews! I gave it 4 stars. I quite enjoyed it. I don't have any complaints, though it's not quite as awesome as Kate's books. I was steamed at Raphael at first but had faith in Ilona Andrews. I didn't find the mythology confusing. I find it interesting how the authors use so many different mythologies in their writing. They don't just stick to the more commonly known ones, but to me they explain things sufficiently. This book helped resolve some issues and ready things for the next Kate book.

message 44: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

I've only got to about half way through.
(view spoiler)

I'm liking it so far and not totally hating Raphael like some people are. He is a bit of a brat (as Andrea points out to him in great detail) but I think he was genuinely hurt by her 'abandonment' (as he saw it).

message 45: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Lannister, did you mean Barabas? lol I think you're confusing your favorite serieses ;)

And I totally agree with you about Raphael. I think they both treated each other like crap.

message 46: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

LMAO!! So I did! :D

Maybe Mircea has a thing for snakes!!

message 47: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

I started the book as well.

message 48: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

I've finished Gunmetal Magic.

I liked it, though it was slightly weird getting a whole novel's worth of this world not from Kate's POV. There were a couple of funny moments, but overall it didn't seem quite as humorous as the Kate books. Oh, and everything was wrapped up neatly at the end, which isn't very realistic. But I suppose, given that it's a standalone novel, rather than an ongoing series, that had to happen.

I didn't mind the Andrea/Raphael stuff. (view spoiler)

About Curran (view spoiler)

message 49: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6449 comments Lannister, about Curran (view spoiler)

message 50: by Lannister, Lady Marlowe (The Diddler) (new)

Zeenat, (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Feast for Crows (other topics)
A Dance with Dragons (other topics)
Gunmetal Magic (other topics)
Unclean Spirits (other topics)
Magic Burns (other topics)
More...