~Young Adult Enthusiasts~ discussion

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
This topic is about Hex Hall
Hex Hall > Reviews

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 2041 comments Mod
Post your reviews for Hex Hall here to get your Points!!!!

Sabrina | 77 comments Book: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Rating: 4 stars
Summary: Sophie Mercer has known she is a witch for three years now, but she has never been close to her warlock father, and is not really familiar with the world of magic. When a prom spell goes wrong, she is sent to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall), a reform school for Prodigium, which include witches, shapeshifters, and fairies. Sophie is quick to make friends with the school's only vampire, her roommate Jenna, a crush on a warlock, and enemies with a trio of witches at her new school. Her social life is put to more stress when her roommate, the vampire Jenna, is suspected for attacks on students at Hex Hall. As the attacks continue, Sophie finds out more about who she really is, and what she can do.
Review: I really liked the story in this book. The ending was one I wasn't expecting at all, and though I didn't find the writing extremely good, I enjoyed it all the same. Sophie wasn't a totally strong female character, but she wasn't a weak, whimpering thing either. My favorite character was Archer though, and I am interested to see how his part of the story continues. I give this book four stars with high hopes for book two.

Holly This is my first review on a group. Hope I do it correctly.
Review: I really enjoyed this book. I had a hard time putting it down anytime I had to do something else. I was constantly thinking about finishing it because I wanted to know what was going to happen to Sophie. I found there to be some grammatical things that bothered me as I went but the storyline was really good and kept my attention. Sophie was not a very strong lead but I believe that in the next book she will become a stronger character. Her character was being built up throughout this book. I give this book four stars.

message 4: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 2041 comments Mod
That's fine for the first time, but Tabitha's review is how most reviews are done.

Holly Ok noted for future reference.

message 6: by Becca (last edited Aug 15, 2012 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Becca (BeccaTheAwesomeOne) | 158 comments Book- Hex Hall
Rating- 2 stars

review-

This is a great book if you don't want to actually think about what your reading.

Unfortunately, I think too much.

Hecate Hall is supposed to be a type of reformatory school, while at times it seemed the kids were just doing whatever they wanted.

Anybody notice that besides me?

Another thing that got me: the obviously named items. At least try to give it some fancy Latinname so it isnt so obvious. I ,ean, bloodstone? Really? And demonglass.

The writing itself wasn't all that great, either.

Lets talk Jenna: I really feel that Jenna's sexual orientation was just thrown in there to make her seem unique. A pink-loving vamp is obscure enough for me, thank you very much!

The story was okay, but I am still kind of confused by whatthe plot of the story is.

But, maybe, I am just way overthinking this. Probably. I do that a lot.

But I have to give it points for the ending, that was pretty awesome.

Jenelle | 116 comments Book: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Rating: 2 stars

Summary:
Sophie, a young witch who cannot control her powers enough to conceal them from the human world is sent to Hecate Hall (snarkily renamed "Hex Hall" by its students), where she will learn just how much she doesn't know about being a witch.

Review:
I felt like this book was just a little on the "Harry Potter Wannabe" side of things. The characters seemed one-dimensional, and not much time was spent on developing them. This made it feel as though everyone was constantly acting out-of-character, making it difficult as a reader to suspend my disbelief.

There are very few books that are told well in a first-person perspective. It is a limited perspective, which, when done poorly, can make the reader feel as though they are looking out at the world inside the book with blinders on.

By the end of the book, I was left feeling as though not much had happened, and not much had surprised me. The only character I am curious about learning more about is Archer, but I don't know if I'm curious enough to pick up the next book in the series. There was too much I didn't like about this first installment.

Carrissa Bellehumeur | 13 comments I was excited to read this book because all the books that are coming out right now are dystopia novels, and although I love dystopia I was excited for a nive change of pace. Overall the plot of the novel was headed in the right direction, but I felt no emotional connection to any of the characters. It felt like they were trying to go with a more modern Harry Potter with a female lead. The whole her being a powerful magical being with no knowledge of her ancestory, can be a good direction but in this book thinhs seemed too rushed and in the end I feel like I was left with more questions than answers. Also there was a lot of random characters thrown in thay really didn't contribute to the overall plot. Archer was definitely my favorite character, and I would continue the series purely to discover more about how a Warlock got involved with the "eye".

unread topics | mark unread