Shut Up & Read discussion

Joe
This topic is about Joe
Archives > Joe by H.D. Gordon - August

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 06, 2012 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 8484 comments Mod
From the author of the Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a book that will take you into the mind of a geniune pyschopath, the lives of six ordinary people, and the world of a very special girl named Joe.

Joe is seemingly an ordinary college student. She works, studies and reads. But in between these activities Joe has a gift that promises to add a dose of color to her life at any given moment. Joe sees things before they happen. Bad things, and the worst thing she has ever faced is just around the corner. Someone is planning a massacre at the college university that Joe attends, and the only person with a hope of stopping the pyschopath is her.

Oh, the beauty of foresight. More like a curse. Joe has four days to figure out the mystery, make plans to take down the pyscho, and save the lives of people. People like you and me. Ordinary people.

What do you think of each of the characters?

Feel free to discuss the book as you go, but please use SPOILERS for those of us who haven't gotten this far!!! (Check out the 'some html is ok' box above the post box for spoiler tags.)

Don't forget to check out the August BotM contest!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Patty | 48 comments Lots of good August book reads :) Looking forward to reading this one as well!

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments It's a really powerful read. The way the ending is done is so creative and beautifully written

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 197 comments Yay! It made it through. I loved this book.

Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog) (books101) | 3767 comments Mod
Yes, I say read this book!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 375 comments David wrote: "It's a really powerful read. The way the ending is done is so creative and beautifully written"

Yes that ending was stellar!

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments Alana (aka ◘Whiplash◘) wrote: "David wrote: "It's a really powerful read. The way the ending is done is so creative and beautifully written"

Yes that ending was stellar!"

Yeah, about as good as it gets. I was also extremely impressed with how she juggled 8 POVs and yet I felt like all the characters were well-developed.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 375 comments I was just floored. I've always had a soft spot for Koontz- and this, to me, was like a Koontz book. Chilling but wonderful

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments Oh my gosh I love Koontz so much too!

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 222 comments I'll second the previous posters. I was really impressed when I read this book. I wrote in my review that having 8 POVs in a story didn't bother me per se, but I must also say that H.D. Gordon managed them -really- well, which isn't so easy nor such a given!

I think the only character I didn't exactly care about was Merion, but explaining why is hard. It had more to do with feeling, and not with potential faults in writing or somesuch.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments Yep agree completely, I think I just couldn't relate to her. But was still a sad thing :(

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 375 comments Completely agree with y'all

Nicole (shareAread) | 131 comments lol, did we just choose it so we could all talk about it, hehehe

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments Perhaps lol :)

H.D. (hdgordon) | 2 comments I'm glad you all liked it!! Thanks so much!

message 16: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Aug 05, 2012 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 8484 comments Mod
Interview with author H.D. Gordon! Stop by and take a look:
http://shutupandreadgroup.blogspot.co...

message 17: by Patty (last edited Aug 11, 2012 10:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patty | 48 comments I just finished this book and I have to say that I loved it! It was very creative. The character development was wonderful. I was stressed out reading through it because I was so worried about the characters. I really enjoyed the different POV's. How could you not love Joe?!

Does anyone know if there is going to be a sequel?

message 18: by ★ g.k. ★ (last edited Aug 13, 2012 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

★ g.k. ★ (ggwiz) | 6 comments Just knew that I was going to enjoy reading this excellent book. If it is ever to come out in a hard copy, I'd love to have one on my fav's shelf.

Here is my review.

The writing style was creative and was what kept you in each of the eight well-developed characters. Using the character's name as the heading instead of chapter title shifted the POV that didn’t leave you lost as to whom you were involved with at any given point in the story. The ending put tension up as you flow from one-person thoughts into the next without the break of the former characters with the continued sentence. Distinguished story to have read.

There's only one area I felt was lacking. There was no reaction to the surprise ending that the Decider had planned in which the police should have found and would have been in the newscast. Especially, Joe's reaction to it. I would have like to have heard her thoughts wondering how she would have handled the situation differently if she had known about the additional risk involved or would she have decided that would have stopped her.

Nicole (shareAread) | 131 comments Patty wrote: "I just finished this book and I have to say that I loved it! It was very creative. The character development was wonderful. I was stressed out reading through it because I was so worried about the ..."

She is planning a sequel but is committed to finishing the Best Selling Alexa Montgomery Saga this year for the fans. I'm hoping we get another Joe book early 2013 ;-)

Nicole (shareAread) | 131 comments Gwen we are planning to release the paperback as well, It just finished another round of edits and hopefully will go in for formatting for paperback soon.

Two places to keep up on info for HD would be signing up for her newsletter http://hdgordon.com/ at the bottom of the page and join her fan group here on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

★ g.k. ★ (ggwiz) | 6 comments Nicole Marie wrote: "Gwen we are planning to release the paperback as well, It just finished another round of edits and hopefully will go in for formatting for paperback soon.

Two places to keep up on info for HD wou..."

Thanks

unread topics | mark unread