Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Introductions > General Chat!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 211) (211 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 2488 comments Mod
If you'd like to discuss the weather, the family pet or anything else, this is the spot to do it!!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) This group is gonna be a lot of fun :)

message 3: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I hope so Michael..fun and reading definitely go together:)

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 260 comments They sure do Brenda. :)

message 5: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Michael wrote: "This group is gonna be a lot of fun :)"

ditto...I'm really excited :D

message 6: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I just placed an order for Mystic River at Book Depository:) plus The Other Daughter! I wanted to get Toby's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets but had to put it on my wishlist:)

message 7: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby It's a pretty big book so may take you a while to get through anyway. When you order maybe get something light to read alongside!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I got my copy of Mystic River on my way

message 9: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Tfitoby wrote: "It's a pretty big book so may take you a while to get through anyway. When you order maybe get something light to read alongside!"

Thanks Toby. I don't like to read long books, unless they engage me fully, and then I can fly through them. But hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon.

message 10: by Sally906, Cosy Crime Lover (new)

Sally906 | 99 comments Mod
I read Mystic River a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. Did see the movie, but preferred the book

message 11: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Sally906 wrote: "I read Mystic River a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. Did see the movie, but preferred the book"

Good to hear Sally. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 12: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments I'm lucky I didn't have to whip out my credit card for Mystic River. My library has it in stock :)

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I reserved it at the library, but when I saw the good price at BD, I ordered it anyway;P Shhhh, don't tell hubby! O.o!!

message 14: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Brenda wrote: "I reserved it at the library, but when I saw the good price at BD, I ordered it anyway;P Shhhh, don't tell hubby! O.o!!"

lol! your secret is safe with me ;)

message 15: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

:):)

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 260 comments Brenda wrote: "I reserved it at the library, but when I saw the good price at BD, I ordered it anyway;P Shhhh, don't tell hubby! O.o!!"

Whos the sneaky one lol. :D

message 17: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Michael wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I reserved it at the library, but when I saw the good price at BD, I ordered it anyway;P Shhhh, don't tell hubby! O.o!!"

Whos the sneaky one lol. :D"

Sshhh!!! lol

message 18: by Lynxie (last edited Sep 06, 2012 09:06PM) (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments I have a Q for you crime/suspense/mystery buffs out there in GRland. Have any of you heard of or read this book?

Wolf Pear Wolf Pear by Dianne F. Gray

I've just gotten in contact with author on wordpress and I didn't know she was an Aussie or an award winning author. Just wondering if you guys had heard/read and had some thoughts.

message 19: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

No I haven't Lynxie, but it sounds wonderful! I have added it to my TBR:)

message 20: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments I'm sure Dianne will be happy to be on another TBR list Brenda. :)

message 21: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Wilson (PAWilson) | 3 comments I've downloaded a sample of Wolf Pear, it sounds intriguing.

message 22: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Perry, I have Wolf Pear on my TBR list, it does sound interesting:)

message 23: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments You guys will have to let me know what you think when you read it. I'm keen to give it a go, but with my TBR list, it'll be a while to get to it!

message 24: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Wilson (PAWilson) | 3 comments I read enough of the sample to be intrigued. I just purchased it, but I have a ton of other books to read first.

message 25: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

P.A. wrote: "I read enough of the sample to be intrigued. I just purchased it, but I have a ton of other books to read first."

Ha! Don't we always do that!!! lol

message 26: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) I just saw on the interwebs that Ian Rankin is visiting Australia... So far he has confirmed he will be visiting Brisbane.

Any other Rankin fans in residence? Think it is appropriate to buy him a beer in a seedy establishment?

message 27: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I have read a couple of his Bec, but I'm not a real fan....

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 260 comments I will be honest i havn't read any of his books Bec. All i know is of his characters Rebus and Fox. Thats about it. =/

message 29: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Roberts (hazelnuts) I tried reading one of his books and gave it up as not to my taste

message 30: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments Well it may be that I read Wolf Pear before you guys, unless Perry is reading it now. I've got it listed as #4 on my TBR list :D

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen Goltz | 2 comments I'm struggling to find a good thriller to read that's not too gory. Sort of a Matthew Reilly meets Lord Lynley. When I wrote my thriller "Mastermind" (it's in libraries around Australia), I modelled my hero, Mitchell Park ... 6ft plus and gorgeous ... on Dylan McDermott. Are there any others out there?

message 32: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments I'm sure these guys can suggest a few books for you Helen. Thriller/Crime/suspense is not my bread and butter, but something I read from time to time.

I may have to have a look at what they suggest for you :)

message 33: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

MasterMind by Helen Goltz...I'll put my thinking cap on Helen, if you don't want too gory! Have you checked out the top 10 thread? http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 34: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Hi guys...booktopia has a postage free few days on their orders...

FREE SHIPPING DETAILS
The FREE SHIPPING promotion code is:

SPRING --> read carefully below on how to apply this code to your order.

Simply place an order before midnight on Friday 28th September, 2012 (wherever you are in Australia) with the promotion code SPRING and you will receive free shipping on your order. The promotion code can be used as many times as you, or your family and friends, want on any orders between now and then.

To receive free shipping on any order YOU MUST TYPE the WORD:

SPRING

...in the PROMOTION CODE FIELD ON THE LAST PAGE OF THE CHECKOUT PROCESS. *** please read the next paragraph so you can apply your code correctly.

*** The promotion code field where you enter the word SPRING is just above the section where you choose your payment options like Credit Card, PayPal, Bank Transfer, etc. This is on the last page of the checkout just before you complete your order. You may need to click the word "Apply" next to the promotion code field to receive your free shipping discount if it has not automatically applied it.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/?promoCod...

message 35: by Helen (new)

Helen Goltz | 2 comments Brenda wrote: "MasterMind by Helen Goltz...I'll put my thinking cap on Helen, if you don't want too gory! Have you checked out the top 10 thread? http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9......"
Thanks Brenda, will sus out now! HG

message 36: by Mike (new)

Mike (m2inCanberra) | 6 comments Hi everyone,
For those readers who enjoy Jack Irish, Melbourne and a great Australian crime novel then the ABC next week is a must. "Bad Debts" comes to life.

message 37: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Bad Debts by Peter Temple..is that the one Mike? I heard it was on the ABC, and it's a series isn't it?

message 38: by Mike (new)

Mike (m2inCanberra) | 6 comments Brenda wrote: "Bad Debts by Peter Temple..is that the one Mike? I heard it was on the ABC, and it's a series isn't it?"
Yes Brenda, follow the attached link to the ABC. The series covers two of his books.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/jackirish/

message 39: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Thanks Mike, appreciate it:)

message 40: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I can't wait to watch them (jack irish). Comes to NSW on 14th October, I think.

message 41: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments Well it's a few days late, but you should all check out Wolf Pear I gave it 5 stars!

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 260 comments Great review Lynxie. :)

Sounds like the sought of book i would enjoy.

message 43: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Great review Lynxie:)

message 44: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments Thanks guys! It was a really good read :)

message 45: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Not sure where to put this, but I just found a free ebook from one of our members, Ed Chatterton ...it's a short story, Roadkill available from Random House, http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/e..., I just clicked on the Amazon kindle link to get mine http://www.amazon.com/Road-Kill-ebook...

message 46: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments I have a Q for you Brenda. In relation to Assassin. The price on Amazon is insane! $17.98 on kindle.

Did you get it from Amazon Brenda, or somewhere else?

message 47: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

No Lynxie, I borrowed mine from the library:) So it was free!! NR's on Amazon are crazy...no way will I pay that. I'd prefer a paper copy if I have to pay that sort of money and most of the time it's less than that anyway!!

message 48: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments Ah... the library. They had it already!? Awesome. I might have to check out my local library. I'm not shelling out $18 for a book, no matter how awesome it may be :)

Thanks for your info :)

message 49: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

My library orders the new releases in on Acquisitions before it's even released! So you can queue before release date...I was lucky, I didn't have to wait long cos I got in early;)

message 50: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Don't forget to vote for our January - March 2013 group read guys... http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/74...

« previous 1 3 4 5

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mystic River (other topics)
The Other Daughter (other topics)
Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets (other topics)
Wolf Pear (other topics)
Mastermind (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Helen Goltz (other topics)
Peter Temple (other topics)
Ed Chatterton (other topics)
Vince Flynn (other topics)
Jeffrey Archer (other topics)
More...