SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 4,961) (4961 new)    post a comment »

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 179 comments Hey Bronwyn,

My B-day just passed as well, Oct.19th, so we are both Pumpkin babies! Welcome!

Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy) by Leslie Ann Moore
Griffin's Daughter

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 19 comments Welcome, Bronwyn,

Happy birthday! (Although, I suspect that I am a day late.

I'm in the metro-detroit area, too, as is Colleen Gleason (we're doing a joint booksigning in Westland this coming Saturday, and I'm excited to meet her).

I enjoy Terry Pratchett's sense of humor, too. I think there's a group about his works here (in the groups section).

Welcome!

Rowena Cherry

Knight's Fork by Rowena Cherry

message 303: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Sue! Glad to hear from you. We live in White Plains, but my husband grew up in Yonkers! Too bad I missed out on the Androids/Electric Sheep discussion! I'll try to read an upcoming group book.

Kristjan (BookTroll) | 189 comments Never too late :) If you have something new to add, go ahead and review the posts and reply.

Deanna | 30 comments Welcome Kathy!

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 179 comments Hi Kathy!
I noticed the conspicuous absence of Stephen King on your list. How do you feel about him? His son Joe Hill is also a writer. He has a new(ish) book out called "Heart Shaped Box" about a guy who purchases a haunted item on E-bay. I hear it's quite good.

Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Moore

Sandi (Sandikal) Leslie, I loved "Heart-Shaped Box"! I didn't know Joe Hill was Stephen King's son until after I read both of his books. You will note a certain lack of Stephen King books on my shelves.

Welcome to everyone. I can't keep up with all the new members.

message 308: by Apu (new)

Apu (Apache) Alright peeps!

Not sure how many books I'll get through as kid's keep me busy, I'm banned from most libraries in my area for being particularly bad at returning books and pretty skint too - which is only partly caused by the kids and the library fines!

First fantasy that I can remember reading was Dark is Rising Sequence and Wizard of Earthsea in the early 80's.

Discovered fantasy was a genre late into my teens with The Belgariad and The Mallorean.

My favourite fantasy series of all time are The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant... absolutely AWESOME books in my humble opinion.

I'm joining this group primarily to get recommendations as I don't want to waste any hard earned time or cash on crap (or even average) books as I'm sure there are many wonderful worlds to explore!

message 309: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone,

This is a nice group to join, because lot's of members are making contributions. I'm 48yo, living a stone thrown from Amsterdam, The Netherlands and I read a varied mix of subjects. I discovered goodreads just a little to late, so my list of sci-fi is far from complete, because I just can not remember all from the pile of sf I have read.
Treasures I certainly remember are "Songs of Earth and Power", by Greg Bear (my top book, an absolute must), "The number of the Beast", by Robert Heinlein and "Dune" by Frank Herbert (both head and shouders above the rest of the sf-list) , "Eon" by Greg Bear and the Tolkien and Asimov's in my list.

Beside reading a lot for fun and work (Infomation Security), I love playing EVE-online (http://www.eve-online.com)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Hello!
I love sci fi and fantasy, I've read a large volume of it and it's my preferred genre.
I get annoyed when people look sideways at me when I say that, as if Sci-fi/Fantasy is a lower level of reading. Obviously they've never read it.
I'm pleased to find such a large and varied group of fellow sci-fi and fantasy entusiasts.
Happy Reading...

message 311: by Richard (last edited Nov 01, 2008 09:49PM) (new)

Richard (MrRedwood) | 161 comments Well, I guess I'm in the "geezer" category, born in 1959 and been reading SF/F since my teens.

I've probably forgotten more SF/F than most of you have read; once upon a time I had a buddy who read like a demon, often finishing two books a day for weeks on end. And he never threw a book away, and seemed to have total recall. So he was my library and guide, and soon I was up to half a dozen or so a week. (The buddy, older than I am, is a bachelor and has an entire ranch-style house in the suburbs for his books. He has entire rooms full of boxes full of paperbacks.)

The problem is that when I read stuff that fast, it pretty much disappears from my brain as I'm reading the next two or three. Occasionally I'll be reading a book, get a feeling of deja vu (which happens often enough that while reading this stuff deja vu itself is a familiar feeling, kinda like matryoshka vu). Pretty soon I'm making uncanny guesses about what characters are going to do next, and I realize once again I'm accidentally re-reading a book. And I never re-read. (Well, okay, I've re-read Zelazny's Amber series once).

So, generally speaking, I won't be able to chime in too often on these topics, since I only tend to remember the best and brightest. And, actually, I spend a lot more time reading Non-Fiction these days and shy away from most pulp fiction. (Though I did just read the first in Butcher's Dresden Files series).

message 312: by Sue (new)

Sue (suelange) Richard,

That's a very funny story about rereading a book. I'm just wondering what books you consider to be the "best and brightest."

Sue

David Korinetz Hi

Came across this group and thought I'd stay a while. I've been reading Science Fiction and Fantasy since the sixties, but I don't think of myself as a Geezer. I prefer the term learned.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Hey all! Just recently joined GoodReads and haven't figured out all the bells and whistles yet. Stumbled across this group and decided that it was right up my alley, so I thought I'd better introduce myself so you know who I am when I start posting on the discussions!

My name is Jenny, I am 32 years old and live in St. Louis, MO where I grew up. Went away to school for 8 years and came back a veterinarian. I currently share my (very small) house with two dogs and nine cats. The iguana passed away this year.

I probably started reading SFF when I was itty-bitty because I was a pretty voracious reader and read anything I could get my hands on. I do remember repeatedly checking out A Wrinkle in Time and The Girl With the Silver Eyes from the grade school library. The very first "real" book I ever bought was "Willow" of the movie fame. I was ten and the $4.50 price tag was just staggering at that time. By junior high I had pretty much settled on SFF as my main genre and continue to this day.

I used to finish several books a week, despite work and other committments...and then I got a puppy. A very energetic puppy. I spend a lot of time at the dog park so the other dogs can wear him out. I am lucky if I finish several books a month now, and it has been bothering me a lot. I may try to go the short story route for a while to ease this itch (I had to do that in vet school when I had NO time).

Looking forward to reading/posting with all of you!

Michael (bigorangemichael) | 186 comments Jenny,

Sounds like you need to more audio books! You can keep up with the energetic dog and read at the same time.

OK, it's not exactly the same, but I do enjoy a good audio book.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments I agree. I just wish my library had a better selection of SFF on CDs. I would love to listen to books in the car to and from work. They are just too expensive for me to buy myself...I can get several paper books for the price of one audiobook. I'm a little picky about them too...they have to be unabridged or I feel like I've been cheated!

I would love to be able to download audiobooks into my ipod. Anyone know if this is possible or will be possible soon?

message 317: by John (new)

John | 109 comments One possibility for finding audio books is to look to your nearest metropolitan area's libraries. From what I can tell, more and more of them are allowing you to download audio books that they have onto your computer, so even if you don't live that close to the big library, you can check out a broader selection of audio books. The one I'm most familiar with, depending on the book, allows you to listen to the book on your computer for 2 weeks and to download it to your mp3 player (sadly, *not* your iPod--I got my wife another brand of mp3 player just so we could listen to audio books), and many books allow you to burn them to CD (yes, it's a lot of CDs to burn, but they're much cheaper than actually buying the audio book). Even now that I've moved away from Providence, RI, I still frequently use its library for books. Pittsburgh, an hour from where I live, also has something like this, though I haven't used it yet.

message 318: by David (last edited Nov 09, 2008 10:40AM) (new)

David Korinetz For any interesting in being a character in a Fantasy novel, please check out the contest on my website:

http://www.davidkorinetz.com/dkpubs.htm

Vivian "Rain" Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to talking with you all : )

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Thanks, John. I had no idea. I'm in a major metropolitan area so I will go ask the librarians if this is possible. I, too, would be willing to buy a new MP3 player just to listen to audio books!

message 321: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jenny,
I liked your intro ; )
I've downloaded an audiobook onto my ipod...there was a site I used but I cancelled my account b/c it was pricey. I can dig through my old emails though to see if I have a record of it. My father-in-law LOVES audiobooks and takes them out from local libraries. Good luck with that and welcome to the group! I'm pretty new myself to it!

Charlie (davidjman) Hey everyone! My name is David and I am twenty-two, living in B'Ham (the Ham)Alabama. I have always loved Fantasy/Sci-fi, but I REALLY feel like I need to broaden my horizons in the genre. I tend to read what's popular (not on purpose)...along the lines of Eragon, Twilight, Potter...some older stuff will include almost everything written by Terry Brooks and some by Modesitt. I welcome suggestions for some good fantasy/sci-fi. Any one want to share some suggested reading lists? I look forward to communicating with everyone in the group!

-Dave

Kevinalbee | 188 comments If you have an I pod you can buy the cd and then transfer to Ipod or just buy the book from the I pod store but then you only have the ipod version ad it cost the same as the cd version

Kev

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Hmph. Well, that's no good if it costs just as much as the CDs. The cost is what is prohibitive. Oh, well. I'm going to the library tomorrow and will explore my options. Maybe ILL?

Great name, Jenny! What do you consider pricey?

Welcome, Dave! I am betting you can get some stellar SFF recommendations by looking at the bookshelf of this group or any of the group members, but I'll throw a couple out there for you. Based on what you have read before, you may enjoy David Eddings. Start with the five Belgariad books. If you like comic fantasy, try some Terry Pratchett...start with The Colour of Magic. For SciFi, you may try Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Dune by Frank Herbert is smart and classic.

message 325: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen: yes, great Jens (or Jennys) think alike! ; )
I think the audiobook site I used was www.audible.com. I checked it yesterday and they have cut the monthly costs. I think it's down to $7-8/month now. It used to be more than 2x that. I usually get my "reading materials" via used books on amazon.com or the library, so I didn't have much use for the site anyway.

I keep hearing about Ender's Game...so I must check that out. Once I get through Anubis Gates, that is!

message 326: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Dave, welcome to the group!
Great to hear you've read alot of Terry Brooks! My first sci-fi/fantasy genre read was the Terry Brooks Shanara series ( I was in my late teens and stuck in bed for weeks with mono/Epstein-Barr). Such great memories of those stories--they were so exciting! I re-read Sword of Shanara a few years ago and can now see how much Tolkein's characters and storylines are reflected in it. Still fun stuff.

I'm also looking to expand my horizons. I'm trying to balance hardcore cerebral stuff like Dune, which I LOVE, with more lighthearted fantasy reads like Sword of Shanara, which I also have a softspot for. If I come across anything good, I'll let you know!

message 327: by K (new)

K Hello everyone! I'm Katie and I'm from California but living in Florence for a year. I've read both obscure and mainstream SF and Fantasy books, and my favorite authors are

Garth Nix
Elizabeth Haydon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Holly Black
Anne McCaffrey
J.R.R. Tolkien
T.A. Barron
Nancy Springer
and Ursula LeGuin

(not really in that order). I've also read popular series like the Twilight ones, the Eragon books, the series for A Great and Terrible Beauty, and Tamora Pierce and Diana Wynne Jones books.

I'm willing to take SF/Fantasy (or other genres, possibly) suggestions although I probably won't be able to find them till I get back to the U.S. where they have a public library, in English.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Ooh, Katie! I love Elizabeth Haydon as well! I have lots of little page-corners turned down in her books to mark favorite passages. I loved Nix's Abhorsen series, although I was pretty disappointed with Across the Wall. I don't think I've read any Barron or Springer yet, but I also agree with your other choices!

Jenny--I will have to check out that site when I get back from the library if I come back empty-handed in the audible book department. $8 isn't too bad, I don't think. I don't pay for cable or such, so it is workable into the budget.

I haven't read any Terry Brooks. I had just finished re-reading the Tolkein books when I picked up Sword of Shannara and I was a little irritated about the similarities at that time. I imagine that I would probably enjoy them now.

Charlie (davidjman) hey! I just ordered a Wizard of Earthsea...is it any good?

Terence (Spocksbro) | 96 comments If we're talking the book - then I can say "yes" without reservation.

If we're talking the DVD, that's an entirely different kettle of fish, alas :-(

Michael (Cheyindal) | 1 comments Okay, hi I'm Michael. I was born in Ontario and still reside there. I was born in 1990. And in 13 days I will be 18. My own personal congratulations for making it this far. I've been readin since I can remember, but I didn't really start to get more heavily involved in reading until I read the Hobbit, it still rests near the top of my favorite books to read to date. I am really a huge Tolkein fan, the whole works, not just the mainstream ones though.

I am also though, a huge fan of
Joel Rosenburg
Angie Sage
Jonathan Stroud
and David Drake

Personally, a lot of the more mainstream books are not my favorite, but I can tolerate most of them.

And, being in this group makes me feel young. Oh well, it's still good fun. I'm also working on writing a book of my own, though I am not that good yet. I do write a lot of poetry for fun, and I don't get a lot of complaints. I'm currently re-reading Legacy of Blood.

Mandy (MischiefMaker) Hey my name is Mandy and I love reading, scifi/fantasy is my favorite type of book to read.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Hey, Michael! I just picked up the Bartimaeus trilogy from the used bookstore recently. Haven't had a chance to read and comment on Stroud's work yet, but it will be coming.

Hi Mandy! Welcome. What are your favorite SF&F books?

Crowinator Hello, everyone! After reading a bunch of intros, I decided to post my own. I'm Krista, I'm 32, and I'm a teen/reference librarian in Colorado. (I grew up in the Chicago area and also lived in Seattle for three years, and I'm quite new to Denver, so I don't consider myself a Denver person yet.) I love being a librarian -- it's the perfect job for a big reader. (c: I've been reading fantasy and science fiction since I was a kid, and I read a lot of YA books, too (lots of YA fantasy). I review books for Booklist, which means I'm always reading but that I don't always have time to read what I want. Luckily, I only review YA stuff and adult science fiction and fantasy, so at least I'm interested in what they send me most of the time. I also write fiction, though I've only had one story publication so far. (That was an exciting first step, though!)

I just joined Good Reads and thought this group looked like a cool place to find more recommendations and talk about books!

message 335: by Rai (new)

Rai | 4 comments Hello fellow fantasy/sci-fi afficiondos! My name is Rai Aren, co-author of a mystery/alternate historical fiction/speculative sci-fi novel about ancient Egypt entitled Secret of the Sands. I am an avid reader, there are so many books that I want to read, I wish I could just push them into my head, like a computer chip & absorb them immediately. Nothing is more relaxing for me than getting lost in the pages of a great story.

I love stories that have an element of the supernatural/paranormal to them. When I read I love to be taken away from the 'everyday ordinary'. I like epic stakes in a book. I am a huge fan of Tolkien's work (read most of it, including The Silmarillion), but these days my reading tends towards mystery/thriller/speculative sci-fi, and hard sci-fi genres. I love Robert J. Sawyer, James Rollins, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, JK Rowling, David Eddings, and Dan Brown, to name a few. I also enjoy reading about the underlying philosophies of some of these works.

I guess I am always searching for deeper, sometimes hidden meanings & truths in life, so I seek these things out in the books I read. I am always deeply gratified when after reading a great book, there was something about the story that stays with me, becomes part of how I see the world, and changes my outlook, even slightly. That is highly rewarding.

Very nice to meet you all!!

Rai Aren, co-author of Secret of the Sands

"A deep probing mystery riddled with prophecy and danger, Secret of the Sands uses Egypt and her mythology as a backdrop to delve into the meanings of life and religion." -McNally Robinson

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 179 comments Welcome Mandy and Michael.

Michael--knowing that you are only 18 makes me feel really old!! Creating a novel is hard work, but so rewarding. I hope you'll stick with yours. As for poetry, I stink at it! I envy people who can write good poetry. Stick with that as well, if it gives you pleasure, even if you don't get any compliments.

Leslie Ann Moore

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 19 comments Hi, Mandy,

Welcome!
Knight's Fork by Rowena Cherry

message 338: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 9 comments I guess I should have browsed some threads before I jumped in and started my own. The 'Where's Anne McCaffrey?' Well, if someone is asking me about my favorite authors, she has to be near the top. And when setting up my profile the search only offered Acorna's (something), my least favorite series of her creation.
I am 47, and books have always meant a lot to me. I read to explore other worlds and viewpoints than the ordinary ones around me. The more detailed the 'world' the better I like it. I particularly like long series, set in the same universe, and some of my favorite series were set on Pern, Amber, Drasnia, Mundania, and many others that I don't remember. I liked the Song of Albion, and the Wheel of Time and the Thomas Covenent series - although those dark heavy ones, I sometimes have to take a break from. Piers Anthony to Roger Zelazny with Marion Zimmer Bradley thrown in. I like vampire stories and worlds with magic - particularly the type that the heroine is thrust into another dimension where they fulfill some ancient prophecy or something. Well, this is hard to explain - I love certain type of books, and I'll only know it when I see it.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Hi Lisa! I grew up on Anne McCaffrey and I can't even begin to count all the times I've read and reread the Pern books. I love most all her other books too. She is such a good writer with good characters that even a silly book premise like in Acorna managed to suck me in (although I must admit I only read the first one).

I haven't checked out any of the Pern books authored by her son yet. Anyone have an opinion on those?

message 340: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Vanessa and I am an playwright, I have recently released my first Nonfiction titled: The Certain Ones.

Currently, I am working on my latest stage production, which is slated to be performed in December. I am looking forward to participating with such an exciting group!

Happy Readings!

Vanessa

Wulan (uLiL) | 1 comments Hi, everyone. My name is Wulan, I'm 18 years old and I'm from Indonesia. Since I'm still a freshman in University of Indonesia, I dont have as much free time as I used to have back then, so it's been a while since I last read SciFi and Fantasy books. This group looks interesting. Thanks Nate, for the recommendation. Cheers!

Denis | 3 comments Hello fellow Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans. My name is Denis and I'm a 27 year old Canadian. I've always loved books especially Sci-Fi. It started with Michael Crichton about fourteen years ago and although I feel I outgrew his work I well always fondly remember his novels. I just found this site while I was looking for a place to discuss the book I just finished, The Diamond Age. I loved the book and am now looking forward to reading Anathem. I won't be able to read any of the groups books this month, but I'll join you all next month with Neuromancer.

Georgia | 2 comments Donna, you only beat me by a bit. My name is Georgia and I'm 47 (born 1961). My father is a retired naval aviator; I have spent almost all my life on the move. I first started reading science fiction at our local library in Coronado, CA when I was about 10 or 11. When we moved to the Philippines, I read pretty much every single sci fi book in the library at NAS Cubi Point. I have a BS in Biology and have worked in science one way or another all of my life. Although I have read and enjoyed some fantasy series, I prefer sci fi. In 1993, I got involved with several on-line role playing games based on the Pern books. This was the internet before the WWW part and before universal access, so most of the people involved were either scientists, engineers, or computer geeks. It was amazing fun while it lasted.

I still have my original Scholastic copy of A Wrinkle in Time, which is what got me started in the first place. My 8 year old son is reading it now. Among my favourite authors: Ursula K LeGuin, Julian May, Madeliene L'Engle, Alice Sheldon (aka James Tiptree Jr), Margaret Atwood, Robert Silverberg, Heinlein, and Tolkien.

I'm interested in seeing what's new and good in sci fi, so I'm excited about being in this group.

message 344: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 9 comments The ones she wrote with Scarborough were good though. And, I enjoyed the re-edited version of Dinosaur Planet series leading into the Sassinak branch.
I tend to not notice her co-writers, so I haven't seen any by her son yet.

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Elizabeth Ann Scarborough--I enjoyed her solo "Grandmother" books. She also co-wrote the Petaybee and Acorna series with McCaffrey.

I did really like the Ireta/Sassinak story arc...have read them a couple times at least.

Nicolaas (nicolaasvrvo) Hi people, it's Nicolaas here. For you who have read "Good Omens" - I'm one of the White South Africans referred to. I started reading at a young age, but jumped from Hardy Boys to Stephen King's Pet Semetary when I was 12 - I was hooked on him immediately.

I work in Media and Branding and besides reading enjoy art and photography.

Some of my favourite authors are Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Terry Prachett, Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore and Jasper Fforde.

Looking forward to being one of you group and discussing all the stuff with you.

God Speed

Nicolaas

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 177 comments This is one of the first sf groups I have joined, so forgive any posting error.

I have been reading science fiction since 1958 so I am a great fan of classic science fiction, but like some new authors also.

I really like discussing science fiction and especially getting ideas of what to read next--and what not to waste my time on!

Since I;ve been a reader for over 40 years, I can't possible begin to list all my books. I like hard science fiction--Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Andre Norton; Anne McCaffrey and maany many other.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Welcome Nicolaas and Mary!

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Hey, Nicolaas! If you like comic SF&F, then you may enjoy the books by Tom Holt if you haven't tried them already.

Hi Mary!

Henry | 31 comments Hi all, my name is Henry, and I am 30 years old. I lived in the Boston area, and moved up here 3 1/2 ago after my four year enlistment with the US Army was up. I enjoy reading fantasy since I was a teen, and I also a gamer of table top role-playing games. I am blessed to have a dear friend that is a librarian, so she's been introducing me to new authors and works like Terry Goodkind. I look forward to getting new ideas and discussing books in this group (and perhaps meeting some cool new people!).