Life of Pi Life of Pi discussion

Life of Pi - the movie.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »

Waqas Mhd i didn't like this book, in fact i couldn't finish it. so i m looking forward to watching this movie. From trailer it looks slick.

would you be interested in this movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWw0c0...

Cisco I read the book and I can't wait for the movie!

Richard the trailer looked way too heavy on the cgi to me

Waqas Mhd of course. but i felt intrigued by the trailer.

Will IV The ending is the most important part of the book, so if they get that right, I'll call call the movie a success.

Rebecca I felt the book would have made a very good short story but was a horrible horrible book.. So I think it will make a good film too! I have a feeling most of the first chapters, before he got on the boat, will be cut out. They were my favorites, but I don't see how you could portray the details well on screen.

I'll watch it, for sure.

Rebecca Sandyboy wrote: "the trailer looked way too heavy on the cgi to me"

hee hee, CGI is fitting, because it's obvious right from the start that what you're being shown isn't real. ;)

Julia Southwick For me, this is one of those books that I would prefer they never make into a movie! I think the trailer looks horrible! Martel's writing style is what made the book so great, in my opinion. An author's writing style is hard to translate onto the screen.

message 9: by Chris (last edited Jul 28, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris Hill Not every great novel has to be a movie. I don't think this fantastic book lends itself to one personally - instead of tense psychological drama and wit we'll get a bunch of CGI animals I'm guessing. Put Pi in the file marked 'unfilmable' along with Martin Amis's Money.

message 10: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd @Rebecca exactly, couldn't agree with u more.

@Chris, @Julia i too agree that not all books are meant to be converted in movies but i m generally into movies and knowing that a movie is based on a book that i've read, irrespective of whether i liked the book or not, gets me interested.

btw, this reminds me of Cloud Atlas :) anyone? i m interested in that too.

Ovidiu books and movies have different mediums to express themselves. logically they will be different. the style of the writer will not be found on the screen but the story will be there. and i loved the story. ang lee is a director i also like. therefore something to be watched. at least for me. :-))

Aurora Taylor I read the book and I loved the philosophy behind it. I'm also excited for the movie because it comes out on my seventeenth birthday.

message 13: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Will wrote: "The ending is the most important part of the book, so if they get that right, I'll call call the movie a success."

Agreed

Elmira I enjoyed reading this book so much that I'll read it again before watching the movie. This book is an important one.

Rachel I also agree with Will - if they can find a way to have the ending make the same impact as the rest, the movie will be a huge success.

I'm honestly surprised how many folks here didn't like the book! It is one of my top five, for sure.

Jessica This definitely looked very 'disney' cgi to me. No necessarily a bad thing, but its definitely a certain style. I'll watch it, but won't be first in line to see it.

also - funny thing - until about 1/2 way through the book I actually thought the Life of Pie was semi non-fiction. oh boy.

Natali.D (BookCupid) I'll be going mainly for the ending, hehe.

Amanda I did not like the book. I do not think I will watch the movie.

message 19: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd i m actually feeling bad for not liking the book. i want to see the movie so may be i'll give this book another try before watching the movie.

i m also intrigued by reading that its the ending u guys will be looking forward to in the movie. So is there any shortcut where i can skip just to ending in book and not waste my time with boring stuff in middle and still grasp the ending sitaution? :)

Ronald Lett Waqas wrote: "i m actually feeling bad for not liking the book. i want to see the movie so may be i'll give this book another try before watching the movie.

i m also intrigued by reading that its the ending u g..."

Unfortunately not. The payoff in the ending depends on your interpretation of certain key events in the main body of the text.

message 21: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd damn.. hmm ok. i guess i'll just watch the movie then :)

message 22: by Neens (last edited Jul 31, 2012 11:57AM) (new) - added it

Neens Thanks so much for posting this, I had no idea there was a film coming! I agree with the others here that have said it all depends on whether they get the ending right. I found the middle sections a little heavy-going, but the end makes it all worth it. It's a book that keeps cropping up in my thoughts even though it is years since I first read it.

Aurora Taylor I'll be looking forward to how tthey show Pi's thought process, since that's a major part of the book. Chances are, it won't be as good as the book, but hopefully they make it good enough as a movie. I can't wait to see what you guys all think about it after it comes out.

Tawny This is actually one of my all-time favorite novels. I cannot believe that the movie will do the book justice, but I'll see it just the same.

message 25: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd @Neens, you're welcome.

i think the key is not to expect much from the movie and keep our fingers crossed.

what i m kind of sure is that people who liked the book may end up not liking the movie because its very rare for a movie to do justice to the book its adopted from. but those of us who didn't like it might like the movie.

Aurora Taylor I'll expect what I normally expect from movie adaptations, which is usually about 65% as good as the book, with very exceptions.

Hina A. just hope the movie captures the real feel of the novel in reel

Leela Interested to see how Ang Lee interprets the ending. The key will be for him to present it in the the exact manner that the book does, not with any personal bias. This will be tricky, but brilliant if he can get it right.

Leslie Ang Lee is such a wonderful director and I am so pleased and excited that he is the one who will be bringing this book to the screen! His interpretation is guaranteed to be interesting whether we agree with it or not. I can't wait!

message 30: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd my god. there's so much focus on ending. it seems nobody's interested in rest of the movie :) i hope it delivers up to your expectation.

Ervin Patrick The very day I discovered this book, I googled and found out that its film is in the-making. That excited me too much to the point of purchasing it. Now that I've finished reading the book (which, by the way, has been a very 'can't-stop-reading' experience especially when the pages ran out), I just can't stop myself from always watching the trailer whenever I surf the internet!

That shows how I am indeed interested in this coming movie!

Артём Багинский One movie adaptation will not be enough.

Natylie Baldwin Waqas,

Since this book deals with philosophical and spiritual issues, you won't really appreciate the ending if you're not willing to do the work of getting through the rest of the story. You can't do shortcuts on this one. It won't work.

Lesley Julia wrote: "For me, this is one of those books that I would prefer they never make into a movie! I think the trailer looks horrible! Martel's writing style is what made the book so great, in my opinion. An aut..."

I agree about Martel's writing - it does make the book the brilliant story that it is. And I wonder if the movie will capture the first part of the book, leading up to the ship wreck, which is in itself its own story. I loved this book - it's one of my absolute favorites. I feel almost obliged to see the movie, but I have a feeling no matter what, I'll be disappointed. I hate to come in with that attitude, but this book is so near and dear to my heart.

Briana I can't imagine how a movie could possibly tell the story of the book and still maintain the emotional payload of the ending. That said, I don't think movie adaptations that are completely faithful to every detail in the book are necessarily good movies (the first Harry Potter movie comes to mind). So, I wouldn't mind if the producers take a few liberties to make for a better movie. I hope they do a good job, because the book really surprised me. I hated it at first, but as I progressed through the story I really enjoyed it and I have to say the author "got me" with his ending.

message 36: by Waqas (last edited Aug 17, 2012 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd another one fearing how 'the end' will be handled in the movie :)

i think i should probably read it completely before watching.

Natylie wrote: "Waqas,

Since this book deals with philosophical and spiritual issues, you won't really appreciate the ending if you're not willing to do the work of getting through the rest of the story. You can't do shortcuts on this one. It won't work. "

hmm. like i said i think i should read it if i m gonna watch the movie. but there is so much focus on the ending :D i wasn't even aware that ending is this much critical.

PS: thanks to all those who've commented for not spoiling the ending so far. thanks.

message 37: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd Артём wrote: One movie adaptation will not be enough.

hmm interesting. u mean all the story can't be covered in a single movie? or what do mean?

Артём Багинский Waqas wrote: "Артём wrote: One movie adaptation will not be enough.

hmm interesting. u mean all the story can't be covered in a single movie? or what do mean?"

I was trying to mean that a movie would make a single definitive interpretation, but I take it back: it is quite possible to make a movie as ambiguous as the book.

message 39: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd Артём - haha, do u mean ending is not clear? omg. so many people will have heart attack. we were so looking forward to see how the end is handled in the movie ;)

Diana Артём wrote: "Waqas wrote: "Артём wrote: One movie adaptation will not be enough.

hmm interesting. u mean all the story can't be covered in a single movie? or what do mean?"

I was trying to mean that a movie..."

Julia wrote: "For me, this is one of those books that I would prefer they never make into a movie! I think the trailer looks horrible! Martel's writing style is what made the book so great, in my opinion. An aut..."

completely agree! the trailer was not very inspiring, but i'm curious how they will handle the two stories and various other aspects

Артём Багинский Waqas wrote: "Артём - haha, do u mean ending is not clear?"

no, I mean the text can be (and is being) interpreted many different ways. it's not so much the ending, as the whole thing in the light of the ending. It's really difficult to discuss with someone who haven't read it without spoling though :)

message 43: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd Артём - haha. ok. you know what, i might pick it up again before watching the movie as i've still got this book with me. cheers.

Julie Pleeeeeease let them do the book justice!!!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

oh please please please let the movie be as good as the book!
If they get the ending right, I will pronounce the film the best ever.

message 46: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd awesome. now lets wait.

Joclyn I just watched the trailer and am intrigued by the images, can't wait to see the movie!

message 48: by Anas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anas Harby I'm going to watch the movie but believe me .. there's nothing better than the novel .. movies ( in my opinion ) just kill imagination .. so if I wanted to watch a movie based on a novel .. I read the novel first then compare it with the movie .. that's with few exceptions like The Godfather (Mario Puzo) and Fight Club (Chuck Polanik)

message 49: by Denise (last edited Aug 28, 2012 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise I liked the book up until the last few chapters and so will def. give the movie a shot once it is on streaming. I will not be paying to see it in a theatre.

message 50: by Waqas (new) - rated it 1 star

Waqas Mhd Anas - of course thats part of the bargain. u can't have your imagination ditto copied in movie. And also one can't resist watching movies based on books which one has read :)

Denise - omg. u are the Only one so far saying that you didn't like the ending. oh my. i had almost made up my mind to read it before watching but now reading your comment is shaking my resolution. No, i will give book another go.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Life of Pi (other topics)